The Education Forum

JFK Forum: Rules of Behaviour and other points

John Simkin

On the 12th November I posted a message about the behaviour of members.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2224

This in itself has been taken over by personal bickering. I have therefore decided to make a new statement about the aims and objectives of this forum and to stress the kind of behaviour that we expect from members.

JFK Forum

The main objective of this forum is to bring together researchers into the assassination of John F. Kennedy. It is hoped that this forum will enable researchers to share information they have acquired about the case. In this way, the forum will become a major way of communicating information about the assassination to the wider community (we have a far larger number reading the forum than those posting information).

Rules of the JFK Forum

(i) All members have to provide a biography. A link to this biography should be added to their signature (see below for instructions how to do this).

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1471

(ii) All members should use a photograph of themselves as an avatar (see below for instructions how to do this). If you still find you have problems with this please email me and I will help you with this.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1861

(iii) Wherever possible, members should give references (books, documents, etc) concerning the comments that they make. This will help those carrying out academic research into this area.

(iv) Members should not make personal attacks on other members. Nor should references be made to their abilities as researchers. Most importantly, the motivations of the poster should not be questioned. At all times members should concentrate on what is being said, rather than who is saying it. It is up to the reader to look at the biography submitted by the poster, to judge whether they are telling the truth or not. The word “xxxx” is banned from use on the forum.

(v) Members should take care over the accuracy of their postings. This includes spellings, capital letters, etc. This is important as the forum is read by young students and therefore we should not be setting them a bad example. I would suggest you write initially in a word processing program that automatically checks spellings, etc. The finished work can then be copied and posted into the forum.

(vi) Make sure your postings are relevant to the thread. Please start another thread if your comments do not belong to any existing threads.

(vii) When you start a thread please make sure it is relevant to the events surrounding the assassination of JFK. We have other areas of the forum where you can post about Politics, History, Mass Media, Sociology, etc.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=idx

(viii) Members should use the quote function of the forum when replying to people’s posts. To do this click the REPLY button. Pressing this button will allow you to reply to a topic, and have the text from a particular reply quoted in your own reply. This can be edited so that only the relevant passage is included. If you want to reply to several postings, copy and paste the relevant comments into your own answer. To make this clear use the colour options to highlight what someone else is saying. Type in the name of the person after the quotation.

(ix) It helps the reader if the text of your posts goes right across the page. If you find this has not happened, use the EDIT button to make sure it does. I do this for you whenever I can but I find it very time-consuming so I would prefer it if you did it yourself.

(x) There is no need to add your own name to postings. The forum software does this automatically.

Please feel free to add your comments about these rules. I welcome suggestions about other rules we might need. However, do not use this thread to reopen disputes with other members. If you do, they will be deleted.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That works for me. I like people having pictures as their avatar, makes it more personal, I think. However, I don't think people should be punished if they don't have a digital picture of themselves available, they should just - not have an avatar.

There are two reasons for this rule. (1) Some members have accused others of not being the people they say they are. A photograph helps to provide evidence that they are really that person. (2) I have found that people with photographs as avatars are less likely to make or receive personal attacks on the forum. I suspect that the reason for this is that the photograph helps to humanize the member. I might be wrong about this, but I thought it was worth a try.

There are two reasons for this rule. (1) Some members have accused others of not being the people they say they are. A photograph helps to provide evidence that they are really that person.

Those members continued doing that even after the pictures were put up.

(2) I have found that people with photographs as avatars are less likely to make or receive personal attacks on the forum. I suspect that the reason for this is that the photograph helps to humanize the member. I might be wrong about this, but I thought it was worth a try.

That is a possibility. What I don't understand is unless you know someone and have seen them - how would you know the photo is really of them?

]

There are two reasons for this rule. (1) Some members have accused others of not being the people they say they are. A photograph helps to provide evidence that they are really that person. (2) I have found that people with photographs as avatars are less likely to make or receive personal attacks on the forum. I suspect that the reason for this is that the photograph helps to humanize the member. I might be wrong about this, but I thought it was worth a try.

I think I got it... Sixs months agos I cudest spells writter... nows I's are ones".. Thanks John for the information... This was a test. At the tone put you head between your legs and ...... goodby Tosh :unsure: guess it did not work..,sorry. :o

Edited by William Plumlee

]

I think I got it... Sixs months agos I cudest spells writter... nows I's are ones".. Thanks John for the information...  This was a test.  At the tone put you head between your legs and ...... goodby  Tosh    :unsure:  guess it did not work..,sorry. :o

Hey Tosh,

You don't look like Elvis anymore :))))

Dawn

Hey Tosh,

You don't look like Elvis anymore :o)))

Dawn

[COLOR=blue]Can't sing anymore either. You know he was my 'cusin'. Once at the Cotton Bowl, I doubled for him... he went out the back and I went out the front. It worked for a few min... but then they almost killed me when they found out I was not elvis. I was paid $25. and quickly spent it at the Texas State Fair. Our friend knows the story

Edited by William Plumlee

That works for me. I like people having pictures as their avatar, makes it more personal, I think. However, I don't think people should be punished if they don't have a digital picture of themselves available, they should just - not have an avatar.

I agree, John. I feel you're being very reasonable about this.

I was lucky my friend, Allen sends me the pictures he takes of me, otherwise I don't know how I would've been able to send you mine if I hadn't already had a copy in an e-mail. You've been fair and helpful to me, although I did get a little worried when we couldn't get me logged on again after you'd updated my bio for me. But, Andy figured it out and all is well, now.

A photograph helps to provide evidence that they are really that person.

And, as you can see in one of the threads, Denis Morrisette thought I was a guy

for the last couple of years I'd been posting over at Lancer. Must be my tomboy

attitude, being the only girl raised with brothers. LOL :o

A photograph helps to provide evidence that they are really that person.

And, as you can see in one of the threads, Denis Morrisette thought I was a guy

for the last couple of years I'd been posting over at Lancer. Must be my tomboy

attitude, being the only girl raised with brothers. LOL :unsure:

Actually, it is your name, Terry, that made me think you were a man. I'm sorry, I'm French and not still used to all the English first names. :o

Ok Ok Ok I think I got it. Sometimes these computer things can be the most uncoopertive machines in the world . I saying all this just so I can test to see if my ugly mug comes up or not.

later all !!!!!

Mike :blink:

That is a possibility. What I don't understand is unless you know someone and have seen them - how would you know the photo is really of them?

Bill Miller

Agreed, but at the same time, the research community is not so large, and many of us have met many others. Also, some that research together can vouch for the other people. Some people, like Denis, I feel as though I know very well, as we've been emailing and posting for years, even though we have yet to meet.

The issue being addressed is to discourage fake people with fake names from coming in to flame another poster or witness. That just is not fair, and can be very time-consuming to deal with.

Pamela :blink: