The Education Forum

Dick Russell's On The Trail of the JFK Assassins

Dick,

Why don't we send a letter together to Obama with the request to re-open the case?

Because nobody would want to put their name next to yours, and its not up to Obama or Dave Perry whether to reopen the case or not. Why do you have to polute this forum with the likes of Dave Perry?

What does Obama have the power to do as President? He can issue an executive order reversing the Bush's Ex Order classifying records, and have the JFK Assassination records released immediately, rather than ten years from now.

Dick spends a whole chapter of his book with Marina and a roomfull of lawyers that discuss the very issue of officially reopening thec ase. Why not direct a question to him about that or the issue of opening the records instead of sidetracking everything to your site and all the dead ends you keep brining up?

- BK

After all, since the last "probe" by the HSCA, (didn't they conclude it was probably a conspiracy?) much new buried information came floating to the surface - like Johnny Roselli - and many people came forward with new significant testimony since then.

Maybe this would be a good starting point:

http://www.jfkmurdersolved.com/pdf/Watkins.doc

Isn't it funny that the only response I got to this, came from Dave Perry, Gary Mack's friend? I wonder why Mr. Watkins wouldn't give me the courtesy of such an answer:

Wim,

I see you are attempting to get the Dallas District Attorney involved in exhuming Kennedy's body. Your probably not aware that, since Kennedy is buried in Arlington National Cemetery, the Dallas DA has no input. Here are the rules and regulations concerning disinterment at Arlington National:

Excerpted from Department of Veterans Affairs § 1.621 (page 81)

All living immediate family members of the decedent, to include the person who initiated the interment (whether or not he or she is a member of the immediate family), give their written consent, or when a court order or State instrumentality of competent jurisdiction directs the disinterment. Immediate family members are defined as surviving spouse. if not remarried, all adult children of the decedent, appointed guardian(s) of minor children, the appointed guardian of the surviving unremarried spouse or of the adult child(ren) of the decedent. When the person who initiated the interment is the remarried spouse, his or her written consent will not be required. In the absence of a surviving unremarried spouse and children, the decedent's parents will be considered im-mediate family members.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 210©; 1004)

All requests for authority to disinter remains will be submitted on VA Form 40-4970, Request for Disinterment, and will include the following Information: (1) A full statement of reasons for the proposed disinterment. (2) Notarized statements by all eligible living Immediate family members of the decedent, to include the person who initiated the Interment (whether or not he or she is a member of the immediate family), that they consent to the proposed disinterment. (3) A notarized statement, by the person requesting the disinterment that those who supplied affidavits comprise all the living immediate family members of the deceased.

(Authority 38 U.S.C. 1004)

© In lieu of the documents required in paragraph B of this section, an order of a court of competent jurisdiction will be considered. The Department of Veterans Affairs or officials of the cemetery should not be made a party to the court action since this Is a matter among the family members Involved.

(d) [Reserved]

(e) Any disinterment that may be authorized under this section must be accomplished without expense to the Government.

(The reporting and recordkeeping requirements contained in paragraph B have been approved by the Office of Management and Budget under 0MB control number 2900-0365)

(43 FR 26571. June 21. 1978. as amended at 47 FR 50860. Nov. 10. 1982; 49 FR 34483, Aug. 31, 1984; 54 FR 6521. Feb. 13. 1989)

After Joe West died, Bob Vernon approached me in October of 1993 about getting this done. As you are now doing Joe and Bob were attempting to go through Dallas County when a little bit of research showed that even if by some aberration in the law it was the right jurisdiction the Arlington National regulations apply to all. Currently, I doubt you will be able to get Caroline Kennedy's consent and because of that no "court of competent jurisdiction" will order the exhumation for you. Additionally, if you were somehow able to overcome those hurdles, could you afford the expense of disinterment required under requirement (e)?

Dave Perry

p.s. this information has been on my web site since April 24, 2003

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you have to pollute this forum with the likes of Dave Perry?

See this is why I have always had a problem with COPA, for whom Mr. Kelly is a spokesperson. This kind of gratuitous insult towards a respected researcher like Dave Perry does Mr. Kelly's cause no good whatsoever, IMO.

Dave may not be seeing the whole picture in his rundown of the rules governing an exhumation at Arlington cemetery, and it may be that a court could override the existing rules, but even if you disagree with his reasoning about Arlington, could you please explain the need to try to drag a good man's name in the gutter?

Why do you have to pollute this forum with the likes of Dave Perry?

See this is why I have always had a problem with COPA, for whom Mr. Kelly is a spokesperson. This kind of gratuitous insult towards a respected researcher like Dave Perry does Mr. Kelly's cause no good whatsoever, IMO.

Dave may not be seeing the whole picture in his rundown of the rules governing an exhumation at Arlington cemetery, and it may be that a court could override the existing rules, but even if you disagree with his reasoning about Arlington, could you please explain the need to try to drag a good man's name in the gutter?

Please don't drag COPA and Dave Perry together either.

I am not a spokesperson for COPA. John Judge is.

Please ask Dave Perry to join the forum and add whatever he has to offer as it will be welcome.

I will start a thread on Dave Perry and another one on Wim but please leave this thread open to those who have legitimate questions about Dick Russell's book On The Trail of the JFK's Assassins.

BK

Because nobody would want to put their name next to yours,

That's a very interesting remark, William! Before I take that as an offense, please do explain ..... !

Wim

You want people to sign a petition to President Elect Obama to ask him to reopen the JFK Assassination and use your web site as a reason to do so?

Have you signed the petition for a federal grand jury investigation of the JFK assassination based on real reasons and evidence?

After review of all the people you have had previous assocations with - Bob Vernon, Chauncey Holt and daughter, James Files and Pamela, et al., - every one has resulted in more confusion and disagreements rather than focused on real issues, the evidence and what can be legally be done to officialy reopen the case, which makes me believe that your real intent is to disrupt rather than actually assit in resolving the case.

I don't mean to insult you personally, and will sign my name next to yours if it is a genuine petition that has a chance of actually happening, but don't think Obama has a made the Kennedy assassination a priority.

It is possible however, if he ever assumes power, to issue an executive order reversing the Bush order to classify all presidential records, give more weight to the FOIA Act, and order the release of the JFK Assassination records.

Why ask for something that you can never get when you can ask for something possible, and possibly get it?

And I will start a new thread on possible legal avenues to reopen an official investigation, but let this thread be open to questions for Dick Russell about his new and important book, On the Trail of the JFK Assassins.

Thanks,

BK

John, let me first respond to your questions. I would say that, in terms of proving a conspiracy, the two studies of weapons and ammunition are the most significant - they put the lie to the Posners and Bugliosis once and for all (although you'd never learn that from the mainstream media).

Much of my new book is based on material I have written or researched before - I'd say the most significant discovery I made lately was Douglas Horne; interviewing him was a revelation to me, especially as someone who's never been immersed in the medical evidence. Amazing stuff he's put together!

I agree with you about the importance of Doug Horne. See the following for several statements that he has made on the case:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKhomeD.htm

See also this statement he made on the Forum:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=6849

Doug Horne has helped to show that there was definitely a conspiracy to kill JFK. This is also true of the studies of “weapons and ammunition” that you refer to. However, this evidence does not tell us very much about the people who planned and carried out the assassination. That is why I believe the most important evidence that has emerged over the last couple of years concerns Carl E. Jenkins and Chi Chi Quintero:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKjenkinsC.htm

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKquintero.htm

Bill,

I think you should know that Chauncey Holt's son in law recommended me Dick Russell's book "The man who knew too much" as one of the best books he had read on the case, as well as the one which touched closest on the story of his father in law.

And I agree! I wonder why, since you praise Dick's books so much, you denounce Chauncey Holt as a "complicated deception"?

Wim

Bill,

I think you should know that Chauncey Holt's son in law recommended me Dick Russell's book "The man who knew too much" as one of the best books he had read on the case, as well as the one which touched closest on the story of his father in law.

And I agree! I wonder why, since you praise Dick's books so much, you denounce Chauncey Holt as a "complicated deception"?

Wim

Look Wim, You know I spent years checking out what Chauncey Holt had to say and many things checked out, but he's still a self-admitted con artist.

Why not ask Dick Russell why he doesn't mention Chauncey Holt, James Files, Judyth Baker et al in his book?

BK

Over 350 people read this preview of Dick's book and nobody has anything to say?

Am I wasting my time?

BK

Bill, Your work is always appreciated and extremely well done with lots of effort and thought behind it. Reading your reviews or posts are never a waste of time. Does Russell concentrate much on Castillo? I remember reading about him long ago in Bowert's book - but it seemed then to be 'another one of those manufactured dead-ends' related to Dallas to keep the researchers running in circles. A few of those apparently dead-ends were not as dead as they seemed in the light of new information and documents [hiding info in plain sight]. The info above you post on Castillo lends some greater credability to the story, or at least a re-examination to see if it was a real trail or a false one. Interesting the mind-control angle which more and more persons who had some involvement with Dallas or involvement with people involved with Dallas seemed to have had [some kind of hypnosis/mind-control in their past and post-assassination].

Russell is a great researcher and writer and I've pre-ordered his book. His book on Nagell still is not fully appreciated for what it contains and the research behind it. Thanks for your review(s).

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the delay in response but I missed this earlier.

No, Dick doesn't dwell on Castillo, though he did check in and say that the Luis Castillo who is related to the Bayo mission is a different Luis Castillo. Imagine that.

Nor had DR read the report I posted and said he found it "mindblowing."

Hopefully he'll log on and answer some of our questions now that others have the book.

My first question to Dick Russell is the one I posed to David Kaiser that has thus far gone unanswered:

Do you think the unresolved nature of the assassination of President Kennedy is as serious a national security issue now as it was when it happened?

BK

Hmm...I'll have to think this over, but at first and second blush, it is mindblowing and not explainable as simply a coincidence that two covert operative Cubans, connected with Intelligence have the same name - even if a somewhat common name. I also have a reliable source who says they are the same Castillo. I'll get back on this and would very much like Dick Russell to fill us in on why he thinks they are two. Perhaps his book does. I've ordered it. N.B. One document shows the one involved in the Bayo Mission to have the name Luis Angel Castillo Cabrera.

While your pondering: I'll pass a note to an old friend.... Tony remember the Phaller Boats of MIAMI?...... If your out there dig deep in your memory " PAWS and JAWS". is still around. Iron Man died a few months ago in Miami I'm sure you know this, because you still monitor things down there... your long in the tooth now days... wake up. ESELSTAG & Moredale rocks are on the shore.... Poinsietta your branches speak.. The dollar bill is torn.... which half do you have?

Cabrera = Juan Carbrello, ships Windjammer Two,. Thour== Rex; Zappie =Zapata/Bayo-- Raven, Redbird One, WAVE Station, Operation TIDE and RED TIDE; Gilmore &

Murphy; Keesy BJ; Texaco PBY info of the CIA Station, cut out "Green Mansions" Miami Station ....Illutionary warfare training Nags Head....... Come back Angle One.....T Bone Harry?.... see ya soon.

If you not up to speed on this.... then your up to nothing. MURK and ________________ TYD fill in the blank if you know and we will talk.

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

Your book, On the Trail of the JFK Assassins, includes an article on Richard Popkin that first appeared in The Village Voice (1st September, 1975). In the article you state that on 19th June, 1975, Popkin sent a telegram to President Gerald Ford that stated: "I have documents indicating that U.S. intelligence agencies had a laboratory producing robot murderers (Manchurian Candidates) and that at least one of them took part in the assassination of John F. Kennedy. The programmer of this robot murderer is presently at large. I will provide the information to you at your convenience."

Popkin allowed you to look at these documents but at the time the article was published you were not allowed to disclose what they said. Could you tell us anything more about the contents of these documents?

• 2 weeks later...
Dick,

Your book, On the Trail of the JFK Assassins, includes an article on Richard Popkin that first appeared in The Village Voice (1st September, 1975). In the article you state that on 19th June, 1975, Popkin sent a telegram to President Gerald Ford that stated: "I have documents indicating that U.S. intelligence agencies had a laboratory producing robot murderers (Manchurian Candidates) and that at least one of them took part in the assassination of John F. Kennedy. The programmer of this robot murderer is presently at large. I will provide the information to you at your convenience."

Popkin allowed you to look at these documents but at the time the article was published you were not allowed to disclose what they said. Could you tell us anything more about the contents of these documents?

John,

The documents were the transcripts of all of hypnotist Arcega's sessions "deprogramming" Castillo in the Philippines. They ran to probably a couple hundred pages. As far as I know, they have never been made public, although researchers including Jim Hougan looked at some of them at the time.

To answer Wim's question - as a journalist I have no way to assess the credibility of James Files, Chauncey Holt and Judyth Baker, so that's why I do not mention them in anything I've written. Must leave that to others who've done the research, like yourself.

Dick R.

In chapter 4, The Media, the CIA, and the Cover-Up”, you quote Carl Bernstein’s article in The Rolling Stone (20th October 1977) that: “For many years, Luce’s personal emissary to the CIA was C. D. Jackson, a Time Inc., vice president who was publisher of Life Magazine from 1960 until his death in 1964. While a Time executive, Jackson co-authored a CIA-sponsored study recommending the reorganization of the American intelligence services in the early 1950s”. You go on to say that according to Richard Stolley, Jackson was “so upset by the head-wound sequence that he proposed the company obtain all rights to the film and withhold it from public viewing at least until emotions calmed.” (pages 34-35)

Jackson indeed played an important role in the cover-up. Soon after the assassination Jackson also successfully negotiated with Marina Oswald the exclusive rights to her story. Peter Dale Scott argues in his book “Deep Politics and the Death of JFK” (1996) that Jackson, on the urging of Allen Dulles, employed Isaac Don Levine, a veteran CIA publicist, to ghost-write Marina's story. This story never appeared in print.

Jackson, like many CIA operatives, was a member of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) during the Second World War. Another member of the SOS was Frank Wisner. In 1948 Wisner was appointed director of the Office of Policy Coordination (OPC). This became the espionage and counter-intelligence branch of the CIA. Later that year Wisner established Operation Mockingbird, a program to influence the domestic American media. Wisner recruited former SOS officers, Jackson (Time) and Philip Graham (Washington Post) to run the project within the industry. Graham himself recruited others who had worked for military intelligence during the war. This included James Truitt, Russell Wiggins, Phil Geyelin, John Hayes and Alan Barth. Others like Stewart Alsop, Joseph Alsop and James Reston, were recruited from within the Georgetown Set. According to Deborah Davis (Katharine the Great): "By the early 1950s, Wisner 'owned' respected members of the New York Times, Newsweek, CBS and other communications vehicles."

Carl Bernstein was the first journalist to expose Operation Mockingbird (although he never used this term) in his article in the Rolling Stone. The Bernstein article is also interesting for what it left out. For example, there is no mention of Philip Graham and other staff members of the Washington Post. Nor does he mention Ben Bradlee's involvement with the CIA that dated back to the Rosenberg case. Bradlee, of course, joined forces with James Jesus Angleton, the dispose of Mary Pinchot Meyer's diary and letters after her murder in October 1964. It was James Truitt (OSS, Washington Post, Operation Mockingbird) who revealed this story in 1976. However, Mockingbird did its job well and the case received very little publicity.

Interestingly, Phil Graham, Frank Wisner and James Truitt all committed suicide. So also did Len Damore, a journalist working on the case in 1995.

My question is about where Carl Bernstein got his information from for this article. Was it from Truitt or was it a result of his work on the Watergate case. Did Bernstein suspect that Ben Bradlee and Bob Woodward were working on behalf of the CIA during the investigation. According to Deborah Davis' book, Katharine the Great, Deep Throat was Richard Ober, a CIA officer. It is significant that Bradlee attempted to stop Katharine the Great from being published. In fact, Bradlee and Graham persuaded the publishers William Jovanovich, to pulp 20,000 copies of the book. Davis filed a breach-of-contract and damage-to-reputation suit against Jovanovich, who settled out of court with her in 1983.

In chapter 4, The Media, the CIA, and the Cover-Up”, you quote Carl Bernstein’s article in The Rolling Stone (20th October 1977) that: “For many years, Luce’s personal emissary to the CIA was C. D. Jackson, a Time Inc., vice president who was publisher of Life Magazine from 1960 until his death in 1964. While a Time executive, Jackson co-authored a CIA-sponsored study recommending the reorganization of the American intelligence services in the early 1950s”. You go on to say that according to Richard Stolley, Jackson was “so upset by the head-wound sequence that he proposed the company obtain all rights to the film and withhold it from public viewing at least until emotions calmed.” (pages 34-35)

Jackson indeed played an important role in the cover-up. Soon after the assassination Jackson also successfully negotiated with Marina Oswald the exclusive rights to her story. Peter Dale Scott argues in his book “Deep Politics and the Death of JFK” (1996) that Jackson, on the urging of Allen Dulles, employed Isaac Don Levine, a veteran CIA publicist, to ghost-write Marina's story. This story never appeared in print.

Jackson, like many CIA operatives, was a member of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) during the Second World War. Another member of the SOS was Frank Wisner. In 1948 Wisner was appointed director of the Office of Policy Coordination (OPC). This became the espionage and counter-intelligence branch of the CIA. Later that year Wisner established Operation Mockingbird, a program to influence the domestic American media. Wisner recruited former SOS officers, Jackson (Time) and Philip Graham (Washington Post) to run the project within the industry. Graham himself recruited others who had worked for military intelligence during the war. This included James Truitt, Russell Wiggins, Phil Geyelin, John Hayes and Alan Barth. Others like Stewart Alsop, Joseph Alsop and James Reston, were recruited from within the Georgetown Set. According to Deborah Davis (Katharine the Great): "By the early 1950s, Wisner 'owned' respected members of the New York Times, Newsweek, CBS and other communications vehicles."

Carl Bernstein was the first journalist to expose Operation Mockingbird (although he never used this term) in his article in the Rolling Stone. The Bernstein article is also interesting for what it left out. For example, there is no mention of Philip Graham and other staff members of the Washington Post. Nor does he mention Ben Bradlee's involvement with the CIA that dated back to the Rosenberg case. Bradlee, of course, joined forces with James Jesus Angleton, the dispose of Mary Pinchot Meyer's diary and letters after her murder in October 1964. It was James Truitt (OSS, Washington Post, Operation Mockingbird) who revealed this story in 1976. However, Mockingbird did its job well and the case received very little publicity.

Interestingly, Phil Graham, Frank Wisner and James Truitt all committed suicide. So also did Len Damore, a journalist working on the case in 1995.

My question is about where Carl Bernstein got his information from for this article. Was it from Truitt or was it a result of his work on the Watergate case. Did Bernstein suspect that Ben Bradlee and Bob Woodward were working on behalf of the CIA during the investigation. According to Deborah Davis' book, Katharine the Great, Deep Throat was Richard Ober, a CIA officer. It is significant that Bradlee attempted to stop Katharine the Great from being published. In fact, Bradlee and Graham persuaded the publishers William Jovanovich, to pulp 20,000 copies of the book. Davis filed a breach-of-contract and damage-to-reputation suit against Jovanovich, who settled out of court with her in 1983.

Wish I could shed further light on Carl Bernstein's sources for his article on CIA and Media. It is, of course, noteworthy that he did not delve into anyone (e.g., Bradlee) from his own newspaper. All I know is what Bernstein set down at the time in Rolling Stone. What I try to do in my new book is make a few links between that, and the ways some of the same "players" covered up in the Kennedy assassination - a leap Bernstein didn't make, if he was even aware of it.

Wish I could shed further light on Carl Bernstein's sources for his article on CIA and Media. It is, of course, noteworthy that he did not delve into anyone (e.g., Bradlee) from his own newspaper. All I know is what Bernstein set down at the time in Rolling Stone. What I try to do in my new book is make a few links between that, and the ways some of the same "players" covered up in the Kennedy assassination - a leap Bernstein didn't make, if he was even aware of it.

I think it is possible that Bernstein passed the information that he could not use about the CIA and the Washington Post to Deborah Davis. We know that after Bernstein published this article in the Rolling Stone, Davis began work on "Katharine the Great: Katharine Graham and her Washington Post Empire".

A couple of years ago I made contact with Deborah Davies and invited her onto the forum to discuss her book. She agreed but took objection to my first question when I suggested Bernstein was her source for Operation Mockingbird. She refused to discuss the matter on the forum and instead sent me an email saying her main source was a senior CIA official.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKdavisD.htm