The Education Forum

The Ashes

John Simkin

I'm getting a sense of deja vu here...

I think it's going to be mighty close... Australia won't give up without a fight, and remembering how close the games England won have been to losses, I'm less confident about England's chances.

For McGrath and Warne it's their last tests in England, and possibly against England. I'm sure they'll find this highly motivational. With S Jones out, perhaps some of the momentum is with the away side, and this may have a negative effect on the English.

For me the crucial phase is England's first innings. If the openers put on 100+, it will probably mean a draw. If a couple of wickets fall before fifty, it will be Australia's victory.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really pleasing that the weather played less of a role than it might...

And is it slightly ironic that KP of all players was dropped twice before going on to make 150+??

Had he not been dropped = :clapping for the afternoon!

A most enjoyable series (result even better!)... they should release a realtime ball by ball dvd box set of each day of each test.... and we can all grow happy and old watching them, waiting for cricket to return to terrestrial in the UK.

Ed

• 2 months later...
Ladies and gentlemen, normal service has been resumed B)

That is a little harsh. It is one thing to beat the world champions in England to beating other good sides in their own country. One also has to remember that England did not have Simon Jones. As I said several times last summer, his reverse swing played a key role in defeating the Australians. The England bowling line-up is very different without him. The other point is that England lack a top class spinner. They will always struggle in countries where games are often won on the last two days on a turning wicket.

• 1 year later...
The fifth test has just begun and the barmy army, including all those wacky Monty Panesar devotees decked out in fake beards, are very confident of England's chances.

In support of this, they cite as evidence the indisputable fact that England have not lost a single Test match this year.

Just turned on my radio - ABC - to keep abreast of the offical lies of the day for those resident down under, only to discover the cricket has taken over.

Again!

I switch off in disgust.

Cricket is a sport to be played on a nice day, especially in the clubhouse beer garden afterwards.

Watching is slow and tedious.

Listening is sheer torture.

Especially when the result can be predicted with accuracy using a one-sided coin.

Edited by Sid Walker

Guest Stephen Turner
The fifth test has just begun and the barmy army, including all those wacky Monty Panesar devotees decked out in fake beards, are very confident of England's chances.

In support of this, they cite as evidence the indisputable fact that England have not lost a single Test match this year.

Please allow me to be the first POM to offer congratulations to the Aussies, and that bloody phenomina, Shane Warne.

We have been throughly out batted, out bowled, out fielded, out thought, and most worryingly, out fought. Sept 2005 seems a VERY long time ago..........

On a positive note, the army of England supporters who have followed their side around this country have provided great entertainment, humour and color and given the series much of its carnival atmosphere.

Unlike supporters of other countries, they will support their side through good times and bad and are not afraid to show up en masse to proudly support them, even when their team is losing. They have an irrepressible spirit and a fine sense of humour. Top marks from me.