The Education Forum

Did LBJ order the killing of Henry Marshall?

John Simkin

Has anyone EVER established a link between Phillips and LBJ? Wallace? Carter? Connally? Was Phillips in an acting troupe with any of Hunt's security men? Was there any contact between LBJ and Maheu prior to his becoming President? With anyone in Johnson's inner circle and Maheu? With Johnson and Hughes? How close was Johnson with Helms? Could there have been a cadre of SS men and CIA who worked together to put the BIG Texan in power? If so, who was involved?

If Wallace was up there, the picture is still far from complete.

The connection between David Philips, Howard Hunt, Allen Dulles and LBJ is Tommy Corcoran.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, this looks like a very important essay. Can I be so bold as to ask that you repost it as a single piece with footnotes to the sources, if not for my sake then for posterity's? For example, the quote above refers to Grand Jury testimony, and Grand Jury testimony, by definition, is secret. Of course there are rare occasions when Grand Jury testimony is made public (as in the Republican attempt to destroy the Clinton Presidency). Even as I ask the question it occurs to me that the source must be Billie Sol himself, and if so when and to whom did he reveal the substance of his testimony?

I intend to post a long article on the crimes of LBJ. I will provide footnotes for this article.

As far as Billie Sol Estes testimony before the grand jury, it comes from an article by David Hanners and George Kuempel in the Dallas Morning News (24th March, 1984):

Franklin, Texas: Convicted swindler Billie Sol Estes told a grand jury that illegal cotton allotments and other business deals he arranged with Lyndon B. Johnson's help in the early 1960's generated $21 million a year, with part of the money going to a slush fund controlled by LBJ, sources close to the grand jury said Friday.

Estes, protected from prosecution by a grant of immunity, testified for 4 1/2 hours Tuesday before the Robertson County grand jury. The sources said Estes testified that in January 1961 - the same month LBJ became vice president - Estes and two other men met with Johnson at LBJ's Washington home to discuss Henry Harvey Marshall of Bryan, an Agriculture Department official who was questioning the legality of Estes' cotton allotments Estes quoted LBJ as saying, "Get rid of him," referring to Marshall, the sources said Estes, the sources said, told grand jurors that four men were involved in planning the murder of Marshall - Estes, Johnson troubleshooter and close aide Clifton C. Carter, triggerman Malcolm Everett (Mac) Wallace and Johnson himself. Estes is the only one of the four still alive....

The sources said Estes testified that he and Carter met at Estes' home in Pecos after Marshall's death and that Carter commented that Wallace "sure did botch it up."

The sources said Estes testified that Wallace planned to kill Marshall and make it look as if the death were suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to the sources, Estes testified that Wallace hit Marshall on the head and then placed a plastic bag over Marshall's head and the exhaust pipe of Marshall's pickup truck.

About that time, the sources quoted Estes as saying, Wallace heard a noise that sounded like an approaching car. Fearing that he was about to be discovered, Wallace shot Marshall in the abdomen five times with the .22-caliber rifle and left the scene, the sources quoted Estes as testifying. In the next two years, three other men with ties to Estes - George Krutilek, a Clint, Texas accountant; Amarillo businessman Harold Eugene Orr, and Chicago fertilizer supplier Howard Pratt - were found with indications that they had died of carbon monoxide poisoning, according to press reports at the time.

The sources close to the Robertson County grand jury said that Estes refused to answer questions about four deaths in West Texas, telling Dist. Atty. John Paschall that he wouldn't testify about anything "that would put me in the penitentiary." Paschall would not discuss the deaths Estes was asked about.

Sources close to the grand jurors said they considered part of Estes' testimony to be truthful but believed he was shading his story to put himself in a better light.

John.

I find it interesting that Mr. Caddy is involved in this aspect of the Crime/Investigation in light of his apparent involvement representing the "Burglars" at the onset of the Watergate investigation.

See PG 10 of this PDF from the Nat'l Archives describing the FBI's early efforts:

Memorandum, L. M. Walters to Mr. Felt, "Subject: Watergate," May 23, 1973 - File # 139-4089-2261x

Is this simply a coincidence that several of these men are suspected conspirators in the assassination as well?

Chris

PS I think the Wallace's print that was identified in the TSBD is one of the most important leads to surface in the last 43 years. What was he doing there if he wasn't a "shooter"?

Someone posted this article on another forum. It's about Hoover's use of his office for political purposes. I felt it was relevant to this discussion. Towards the end of the article it mentions that LBJ and Hoover tried to prevent the prosecution of Bobby Baker.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/fe...ml?id=110006987

John.

I find it interesting that Mr. Caddy is involved in this aspect of the Crime/Investigation in light of his apparent involvement representing the "Burglars" at the onset of the Watergate investigation.

See PG 10 of this PDF from the Nat'l Archives describing the FBI's early efforts:

Memorandum, L. M. Walters to Mr. Felt, "Subject: Watergate," May 23, 1973 - File # 139-4089-2261x

Is this simply a coincidence that several of these men are suspected conspirators in the assassination as well?

Chris

PS I think the Wallace's print that was identified in the TSBD is one of the most important leads to surface in the last 43 years. What was he doing there if he wasn't a "shooter"?

I have been communicating with Doug Caddy for a couple of months. I have found him extremely helpful. As well as answering my questions he has generously sent me documents, books and videos to help me with my research. It is clear to me that he is fully committed to the cause.

You will find Doug’s answers to questions put by members of the Forum here:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5892

I do believe that there is a strong link between the assassination of JFK and Watergate. That link concerns CIA covert operations and Nixon's knowledge of the agency's role in the assassination of JFK.

Chris

In regard to the FBI memorandum of 5/23/1973 prepared by L. M. Walters for Mark Felt that mentions my name in several places, I would merely point out that my role in Watergate is explained in prior posts in the Forum that draw upon my manuscript published in The Advocate magazine of August 16, 2005.

In brief, I was retained as an attorney in the early morning hours of June 17, 1972 by Howard Hunt and Gordon Liddy to represent them in the case and to represent the five persons arrested within the Democratic Party's national headquarters.

My manuscript and the article that accompanied it in The Advocate can be read in their entirety using links provided in the Forum or provided by Google after typing in Douglas Caddy.

However, it may appropriate for me at this time to provide some additional information, especially since Mr. Newton ties my representation of these individuals to the JFK assassination.

(1) At the time the assassination occurred, I was enrolled in New York University Law School. I also was employed in the New York City office of Governor Nelson Rockefeller, located at 22 West 55th St, on the staff of Lt.-Gov. Malcolm Wilson. I received a phone call within minutes of the shooting of President Kennedy from a friend on Wall Street, who had read about it on the AP wires, and immediately informed Lt.-Gov. Wilson and Gov. Rockefeller's staff, none of whom had heard what had happened.

(2) The Walters' memorandum to Mark Felt of 5/23/1973, prepared in response to a directive of the prior day from Felt, is interesting in what is left out of the FBI document. This is the fact that it was Mark Felt who was Deep Throat and who was supplying Woodward and Bernstein with the inside information of the FBI's investigation. Felt's role is described in Woodward's book published last year, The Secret Man.

Not only is Mark Felt's role as Deep Throat left out of the FBI memorandum of 5/23/1973 but also omitted is the evidence that Felt was the primary cause of the Watergate coverup.

The evidence is as follows: I was retained by Hunt and Liddy on June 17, the day of the burglary. On June 28, 11 days later, while I was in the U.S. Court House working on my clients' case, I was served with a subpoena to appear Forthwith before the federal grand jury. Assistant U.S. Attorney Donald Campbell physically pulled me by my arm into the grand jury room. Over the next three weeks I was to testify five times before the grand jury. I refused to answer a number of questions that I believed violated the attorney-client privilege but did so ultimately after being held in contempt of court by Judge Sirica and the contempt citation being affirmed by the U.S. Court of Appeals.

All of these events so early in the case were reported by Woodward and Bernstein in the Washington Post. These events had the effect of convincing my clients that they could not receive a fair trial if I as their attorney were being so badly treated. So they embarked on the coverup.

Operating behind the scenes and as an instigator of my being served with a subpoena on June 28, 1972, was Mark Felt. The role of the FBI towards me, under Felt's direction, is described in a two-part article in The Advocate of Feb. 23 and March 9, 1977 titled, Revelations of a Gay Informant: I Spied for the FBI. The article is part-interview with and part-reporting concerning the gay informant, Carl Robert 'Butch' Merritt. Merritt had been employed by the FBI, under Felt's direction, and by the Washington, D.C. police, to infiltrate and spy on the New Left, which was then engaged in vocal dissent against the Vietnam war. (Felt was subsequently indicted and convicted for some of his activities against the New Left. More on this later.)

The following is excerpted from the 1977 Advocate article:

Two days after the Watergate burglary, Carl Shoffler (one of Merritt's former police contacts) turned up with Sgt. Paul Leeper (these officers had been two of the three to have arrested the burglars) with what Merritt recalls as an offer of ˜the biggest, most important assignment" he'd ever had.

The officers, Merritt said, asked if he knew one of the Watergate attorneys. ˜They said he was gay." Merritt did not. They asked if I could get to know him. I asked them why. We'd like you to get as close as possible, they said, to find out all you can about his private life, even what he eats. Merritt says he explained that even if the attorney was gay, it wouldn't be likely that he could arrange to meet him. They said I would be paid quite well, that they weren't talking about dimes and quarters, that they were talking about ˜really big money".

Merritt says that he refused the offer, but that police kept returning to him with the same request, as late as December 1972, months after the city's police claimed to have ended their Watergate investigation.

Police, Merritt says, also tried to recruit him to inform on the gay community. He says he refused these offers as well.

The police and the FBI, Merritt charges, began to harass him soon after he was dropped by the bureau. ˜They threatened my life, broke into my apartment at least three times, they tried to plant drugs on me, they tapped my phone," Merritt charges.

Jim Hougan, in his 1984 book Secret Agenda: Watergate, Deep Throat and the CIA, wrote about Merritt's allegations:

"If we are to believe the disaffected informant, [police officer] Shoffler told him to establish a homosexual relationship with Douglas Caddy, stating falsely that Caddy was gay and a supporter of Communist causes."

As I have written in a prior post in the Forum, it was Edward Miller, a former Assistant FBI Director, who arranged for me in 1984 to visit with Assistant Attorney General Stephen Trott in the U.S. Department of Justice about Billie Sol Estes' desire to come clean with what he knew about LBJ and the Kennedy assassination.

At the time Miller was employed under a 1984 Moody Foundation grant to formulate strategy to combat Terrorism, being so engaged many years before it became the worldwide threat.

Previously, Miller had been convicted along with Mark Felt for "black bag" activities that they had carried out against the New Left in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Their trial and convictions were protested at the time by rank-and-file FBI agents across the country. Not long after his first election as President, Ronald Reagan set aside the convictions of Miller and Felt and granted them Presidential pardons. Reagan, who personally was sympathetic to the plight of Miller and Felt, did so upon the recommendation of Assistant Attorney General Trott.

In 1984, Miller told me that Mark Felt desired to meet me. At the time I only knew of Felt's role with Miller in the "black bag" case and subsequent Presidential pardons. I was unaware of Felt's role in Watergate. When Miller did introduce me to Felt at a meeting that took place in Washington, I found the occasion disconcerting because it became obvious from Felt's attitude towards me that he knew something that I did not. This was cleared up with the revelation last year that Felt was Deep Throat all during the time that he had directed the FBI's investigation into Watergate.

This is why I maintain Mark Felt, in addition to being Deep Throat, also engaged in outrageous official FBI activities that spurred Hunt and Liddy to embark upon the Watergate coverup, the subsequent exposure of which brought lasting fame and fortune to Felt and to Woodward and Bernstein.

John, this looks like a very important essay. Can I be so bold as to ask that you repost it as a single piece with footnotes to the sources, if not for my sake then for posterity's? For example, the quote above refers to Grand Jury testimony, and Grand Jury testimony, by definition, is secret. Of course there are rare occasions when Grand Jury testimony is made public (as in the Republican attempt to destroy the Clinton Presidency). Even as I ask the question it occurs to me that the source must be Billie Sol himself, and if so when and to whom did he reveal the substance of his testimony?

You are correct in the general assertion that grand jury testimony is secret. However, there is a recognized exception to this legal rule that permits any witness who has appeared before the grand jury to disclose publicly what transpired during that witness's appearance, including testimony and queries posed by the prosecutor and jury members. This is applicable even if the witness is a defendant, although in most cases a defendant decides not to speak out.

I talked to Billie Sol within a few days following his grand jury appearance in March 1984 in Robertson County, Texas. He had received transactional immunity from the prosecutor before testifying. The grand jury appearance had been arranged with Billie Sol's consent by U.S. Marshal Clint Peoples. It was my impression in talking to Billie Sol afterwards that he wanted his testimony before the grand jury to be made public and had so authorized public discussion by the prosecutor, U.S. Marshal Peoples, and his own attorney. There were a number of press reports at the time, so it would be impossible now to state which exact source of information about Billie Sol's testimony was used by the writer of a particular press report.

Billie Sol desired to set the record straight publicly about murders commissioned by LBJ and wisely employed the grand jury system to accomplish this end.

I will not accept that LBJ was a murderer based solely on the testimony of a convicted felon. It might be different if Billie Sol would subject himself to one of the new techniques for detecting lying, as described in an article in the February 5, 2006 New York Times Magazine:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/magazine...r=1&oref=slogin

The issue is of such importance I think it would be worthwhile for someone to make this inquiry of Mr. Estes.

Doug, is there any legal chance of the investigation of the Henry Marshall murder being reopened?

In my opinion there is virtually no chance that any of the murders, including that of Henry Marshall, will ever be investigated further. LBJ, Cliff Carter, Mac Wallace, and Clint Peoples are no longer alive. This does not mean that the historical record should not be set straight (forgive the double negative), which is what you are doing at the present time through the Forum.

Robert Caro's final biographical volume on LBJ has yet to be published. I have heard conflicting reports whether it will cover the murders or not. In 1986, I talked to Caro briefly when he gave a speech at the University of Houston about architecture, a subject in which he was absorbed. I asked him afterwards if he was going to include Mac Wallace in his LBJ book. He looked startled and grabbed me by my lapels and asked me for my business card. He obviously was interested in Wallace but I heard nothing further from him.

After reading Clint Peoples' report on the Henry Marshall, it is clear that two men committed the murder. Mac Wallace appears to have been one of the murderers. However, could the other man have been Billie Sol Estes? See below the Texas Rangers drawing based on witness testimony and photographs of Mac Wallace and Billie Sol Estes.

post-7-1139765504_thumb.jpg

post-7-1139765520_thumb.jpg

post-7-1139765536_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
I was greatly saddened to learn last night that my friend Floyd Stephens suffered a fatal heart attack on New Years day. Floyd was working on a book about the TX. connection, with emphasis on Mac Wallace et al. RIP friend.

Dawn

This is indeed bad news. Floyd and I communicated many times by phone and e-mail. I am not a paranoid person, but this makes me a little concerned. Floyd was working on the Marshall murder aspect of this case. He has some solid information and I personally warned him about the direction that he was heading. He was also trying to make contact with Marina Oswald concerning the statement in Billie Sol's book that Marina KNEW Malcolm Wallace. He mailed Marina Billie Sol's book along with my book and asked her to respond. Floyd's Father, I am convinced, was somehow connected to the Marshall murder. Floyd was a "phisically involved" researcher. How sad.

He did make contact with Marina and mainly with Mr. Porter, her husband. While he (Mr. Porter) was in the hospital Marina threw out the books Floyd sent. She told him on the phone that she did not wish to discuss this matter. Floyd relayed this to me in our last conversation, less than two weeks ago. I am posting this because secrecy in matters as grave as these can be most dangerous.
Dawn, I found this in yesterday's Austin American-Statesman:

"Also Monday, Floyd Collins Stephens, 47, was driving a pickup north on Research Boulevard near Jamestown Drive about 4:30 p.m. when he lost control and hit two retaining walls, police said. Stephens was taken to Brackenridge Hospital, where he died."

Is this the right Floyd? If so, chalk up another single car accident in Texas.

Yes, that is him. But there was an autopsy and it was a heart attack. I am in the process of trying to obtain further information, just got off the phone with the woman who called me last night. She had no idea that he was involved in this research. His wife also may not know. Ed Tatro told me today to have them look through his personal effects for Tic Tacs.

Do you know if the book he was working on may be on his computer? When we talked last it was just about his dealings with Marnia and Ralph Porter. I was planning to call him this week to re-schedule a trip to see Billie Sol.

Dallas Morning News (10th January, 1971)

Funeral services for Malcolm E. Wallace, 49, of 610 Tennison Memorial Drive, who was killed Thursday night in a traffic accident in Pittsburg, Camp County, will be held at 2:00 p.m. Sunday in the Nevils Baptist Church in Mount Pleasant, Titus County. Burial will be in the Nevils Chapel Cemetery there.

The Texas Department of Public Safety reported that Wallace was killed about 7:35 p.m. Thursday when his car ran off the road 3.5 miles south of Pittsburg on U.S. 271.

A native of Mount Pleasant, he had lived in Dallas for 30 years. before moving to California about 10 years ago. He had recently returned to Dallas. He was formerly manager of the purchasing department of Ling-Temco-Vought, Inc.

It turns out Floyd's book is not on his computer. I spoke with Cathy, Floyd's wife, at length today and she is completely aware of his work. The book is all handwritten. She and another relative hope to finish it someday. She is still in terrible shock though and barely eating or sleeping. She wanted me to contact several people for her to tell them. One being Billie Sol, but the number she gave me did not ring. Do you by chance know how to reach him?

Did Floyd have a history of heart problems?

• 1 year later...

I found this article in the Dallas Morning News in 1962 interesting:

The Dallas News has learned that President Kennedy has taken a personal interest in the mysterious death of Henry Marshall, a U.S. Department of Agriculture official.

As a result, the President's brother, Attorney General Robert Kennedy, has ordered the FBI to step up its investigation of the case.

Marshall is the USDA agent who was killed last June by five .22-caliber bullets from a rifle which was found beside him. At the time of his death, he was reportedly investigating the transfers of cotton allotments by Billie Sol Estes, the Pecos wonder boy whose financial manipulations have erupted into a major national scandal with vast political overtones.

Marshall's death was ruled a suicide, but a Robertson County grand jury ordered the body exhumed and began an investigation of the case which is still continuing. A Houston pathologist, Sr. Joseph Jachimcryk, conducted an autopsy and reported he thought Marshall had been murdered but wasn't sure.

You will find more about this interesting case here:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKmarshallH.htm