The Education Forum

Educational Quotations

“Education is not filling a bucket but lighting a fire.” W.B. Yeats

“The object of teaching a child is to enable him to get along without a teacher.” Elbert Hubbard

“Imagination is more important than knowledge.” Albert Einstein

“I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.” Mark Twain

“Education is what remains when we have forgotten all that we have been taught.” George Halifax

“Your successes and happiness are forgiven you only if you generously consent to share them.” Albert Camus

“One does not actually learn anything new. What we call learning is really nothing but recollecting true knowledge that we already have within us.” Socrates

“We praise or blame according to whether the one or the other offers a greater opportunity for our power of judgement to shine out.” Nietzsche

“We learn what we do.” John Dewey

“Knowledge is not “to know” but to schematise – to impose upon chaos as much regularity and form as suffices for our practical requirements.” Nietzsche

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."

Proust

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out."

James B. Conant

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm."

Henry David Thoreau

"Good teaching is more a giving of the right questions than a giving of the right answers."

J. Albers

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn."

J.C. Dana

"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires."

W. A. Ward

"The difficulty lies not in the new ideas, but in escaping from the old ones."

Lord Keynes

"It is not the answer that enlightens, but the question."

Ionesco