The Education Forum

First showing of Zapruder film?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am under the impression that the first time the Zapruder film was shown on American television was in March of 1975 on Geraldo Rivera's 'Good Night America'.

However, the Z film was supposedly shown on Australian televison a month before that. Does anyone know anything at all about that particular screening?

Any information would be appreciated.

James

You're correct about the first formal TV airing of the Zapruder film. However, bootleg copies of the film were shown in different places prior to 1975. I was privileged to see one in NYC in November, 1964, in a small movie theatre on the lower East side. It followed (silently) a presentation of the David Wolper black-and-white film "1000 Days", which was an upbeat study of the JFK presidency. I was sitting in the front row, and was quite traumatized by seeing the film in such a manner. Ironically, it later brought me into the study of the limousine, for this was where we saw JFK smiling comfortably before the shots were fired, and this was IMO where he died.

Pamela

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody get any pertinent new clues from the new digital video of the ZAPRUDER film? The area between the sprockets is now visible--- I watched it and saw walking speed motorcade, motorcycle cops veering off, JFK getting elbows up in response to .22 or flechette in the voicebox, connally turning, hit, then big headshot from unknown angle, scalp over right ear flapping, still walkingspeed, basically a ambush, hail of fire--watch connolly closely, he and JFK are getting drilled by a barrage at different times---Warren commission doesn't explain a good color version of this 8mm film..........

You're correct about the first formal TV airing of the Zapruder film.  However, bootleg copies of the film were shown in different places prior to 1975.  I was privileged to see one in NYC in November, 1964, in a small movie theatre on the lower East side.  It followed (silently) a presentation of the David Wolper black-and-white film "1000 Days", which was an upbeat study of the JFK presidency.  I was sitting in the front row, and was quite traumatized by seeing the film in such a manner.  Ironically, it later brought me into the study of the limousine, for this was where we saw JFK smiling comfortably before the shots were fired, and this was IMO where he died.

Pamela

GERALDO broke it out on latenight about the time of the HOUSE hearings, but the color saturation (film to video process) added nothing to the grainy second generation print---you couldn't tell much, then...s

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am under the impression that the first time the Zapruder film was shown on American television was in March of 1975 on Geraldo Rivera's 'Good Night America'.

However, the Z film was supposedly shown on Australian televison a month before that. Does anyone know anything at all about that particular screening?

Any information would be appreciated.

James