The Education Forum

Introduce yourself here

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a history teacher since 1977. In 1979 I was a founder member of the Tressell Publishing Cooperative and in 1984 established Spartacus Educational. Since 1997 I have run the Spartacus Educational website. I have also produced electronic and online resources for a wide range of different organisations including the Guardian (Learn), the Daily Telegraph (Electronic Telegraph), British Library, Historical Association and Becta. I was also a founder member of the Association of Teacher Websites and an early member of the European Virtual School.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/

http://www.byteachers.org.uk

http://vs.eun.org/eun.org2/eun/en/index_vs.cfm

I'm Danny Nicholson, a freelance ICT/Science consultant. Originally from Essex, but now based in Kent.

Former science teacher and webmaster at the Cornwallis School, Maidstone. I've spent the last 4 years delivering NOF training for mPowerNet. I write for various organisations - including the recent "Eureka" science scheme for Heinemann.

Involved in various web sites - including www.dannynicholson.co.uk, www.bigbrownenvelope.co.uk, www.sciencestuff.co.uk and www.onlinestaffroom.com

I am a member of ATW

I am Terry Haydn. For most of my working life I taught at an inner-city comprehensive school in Manchester as Head of History/Humanities. I then went into teacher education in London and am now PGCE History Tutor at the University of East Anglia. I am interested in the use of ICT in history, the working atmosphere in the classroom and history/citizenship issues in secondary schools.

My name is Anders MacGregor-Thunell. I’m currently a full-time teacher of History at Hvitfeldtska Gymnasiet, an Upper Secondary School with 1800 students, in the centre of the city of Gothenburg, Sweden. Most of the time I teach IB (International Baccalaureate) History, both Standard and Higher Level, but I also teach History within the ordinary Swedish system. Since 1998 I’ve been the Head of the History Department at Hvitfeldtska Gymnasiet.

I started my teaching career in the middle of the 1970’s. Just a few years ago I became a member of the Virtual School. Through VS I participate in the development of international web-pages within different history topics. During the last years I have also built up the History Department site on our school’s intranet. :)

My name is Alf Wilkinson and I was a history teacher, head of history and ICT Co-ordinator at a large comprehensive school in Bedford for many years. I left to run the Historical Association NOF training scheme. I know it is fashionable to knock NOF training but I think we helped a lot of teachers move on. I now teach part time in Lincolnshire, and am Professional Development Manager for the HA. This last year I have organised a national conference for history teachers on using ICT and been involved in various projects on behalf of the HA. I am interested in the story part of history, and making learning fun! Sometimes we forget that part of our calling.

I have written lots of online materials and am about to launch my own commercial website. I am also involved in writing textbooks. Apart from that, I like a quiet life in the country!

Hello, I'm Andy Jones, a Design and Technology teacher currently working at Fallibroome School in Macclesfield. Though i have also taught in Basingstoke.

I studied for a Degree in Product Design at UCLAN before doing a PGCE in Sheffield.

I'm loving teaching mainly Graphic Products and Product Design in KS 3/4/5 at the moment

I run the DesignandTech.com website

Check out what my pupils have been up to at...

www.torch.designandtech.com

www.Y12.designandtech.com

(Owning that domain name has come in handy).

I'm Nico Zijlstra, a history teacher at the Sintermeertencollege in Heerlen, the Netherlands. In my school I'm the coordinator for 'new' didactics like implementing the use of ICT in the classroom.

As a member of Virtual School History Department I've become involved in several projects like this forum, the VS Aviation Project in cooperation with the Design+Technology Department of VS.

In this forum I'll be moderating the Dutch and German topics, translating some of the contributions into English to spread them to a wider public. You might as well have a look at my Sintermeerten History Department website. Under the 'projecten'-button you'll find some of my projects in Dutch, English and German. :)

Hi

I'm David Rayner and I currently work as a Head of Geography at a secondary school in Kent, southeast England. I run two geography websites GeoResources and GeoInteractive. I have had a long interest in the use of ICT in Geography and am currently trying to provide interactive resources for teachers to use with digital projectors and interactive whiteboards. I have also written articles for Heinemann, Actis, Nelson Thorne and the Swiss Embassy, and led workshops at national geography conferences in Newcastle and London.

I have been working with IT and Science since the days of the ZX81's and the BBC B. I am a Biologist and presently Head of Science at King's College in Somerset. A couple of years ago I completed my PhD at Exeter University on the role of the Interent in Environmental Education - EuroTurtle being the centre of my research. I have also supported this with a number of conservation expeditions to Greece and Turkey (with sixth fromers) to help in the conservation of Marine Turtles (always choose an animal from somewhere hot!).

Currently developing a website based around a set of ponds recently completed at the college (Royal Society Partnership Grant) - will post its URL when we have compeleted it.

I am Head of Design and Technology at St John's school in Epping, Essex teaching Graphics, Systems & Control, Electronics and RM and have been in teaching for 8 years. I spent several years engaged in a freelance career in advertising design and photography in London before doing a PGCE and entering teaching. I have a geoscience degree and my interest in geology, physics and renewable energy technology has contributed to my also teaching science and ICT. I am a member of the ATW and am an AST. Over the last 3 years I have produced a web resource for students in D&T - Design And Technology On The Web - and am interested in extending learning through ICT - and encouraging students by providing a gallery on the www to show their work.

If I can be of help to schools or teachers by including additional material please make contact.

Hi, My name is ben collinge and I am an NQT working in Chilton Trinity Technology College in Bridgwater, Somerset.

I created and run thehistorysite which is aimed at any student studying KS3 and SHP Crime and Punishment in KS4.

As a depertment we are developing our use of ICT in history. One of our most recent projects has been the Year 9 Workhouse Project where students created a virtual tour of a workhouse using photos we took on a field trip and information from the local Public Records Office

Having been a Chemistry teacher for many years I have now immersed myself into the educational ICT world. I am Head of ICT and ICT Co-ordinator in an 11 - 18 comprehensive school in Sussex. I still teach some Chemistry and I am a member of the EUN Virtual School Chemistry Department.

My own website Science Active supports the secondary curriculum. In addition I have produce materials and reviews for BBC educational webguide, Learn.co.uk and Royal Institution website - Science Inside Out.

My name is John Kelly and this is only my second year teaching. I live and work at Shanghai High International School. This year I'm teaching IB English. My school is one of only two schools in China which is party funded. We are bi-lingual in Chinese and English. Our school is over 150 years old, but the international division is only ten years old. In the past ten years the number of pupils in the international division has risen from 7 in 1993, to 1150 in 2003.

I have found educational forums vital to my job. This forum has some excellent members who have always taken the time to answer my questions in great detail. I hope this forum will become a lively place to discuss current social, political historical and educational issues and challenge some of the anachronistic ideas that I have found in British and International educators.

My name is Andy Davies. I am currently the coordinator for the European Virtual School, Design and Technology Department. I host three websites, 'Design Technology Department', 'Midhurst Grammar School' and the 'Design and Technology' site of the 'ATW'.

I teach Design and Technology and ICT and am also the E-Learning Coordinator and Gifted and Talented Coordinator at my school. I have recently become a subject mentor.

I previously worked as a self employed educational consultant for Learn Premium for two years where I created all of their Design and Technology resources. I have produced electronic and online resources for a range of different organisations including DfEE, Electronic Telegraph, ‘Teachernet’, WJEC and BECTA.

Previous to working for the Guardian I was a Head of a Design and Technology Department in a West Sussex School for four years.

From 1994-1996 I was the Principal Examiner for N.D.T.E.F (National Design Technology Educational Foundation) and a Head of Year.