The Education Forum

President Kennedy's eyes

For your comparison.....

Stare of death...the slice ? head wound... and from the sides....

Is there a difference in how much the eyelids are closed.??

B

Bernice,

Weren't all these photos taken at Bethesda? I'm talking about the difference in his eye status between Parkland (where Dr Crenshaw said he closed the President's eyes) and Bethesda (where the "autopsy photos" show them to be open). I would expect photos taken during the same session to look the same.

Edited by Myra Bronstein

Hi Myra,

Here are a few bits on the subject of his eyes,

Dennis David:....the right eye seemed to be a little more prominent than it is here in this picture. (photo 1= stare of death)

William Law: More prominent as to what?

David: Protruded.

Law: So it was popped.

David: You could say that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul O'Connor: His right eye, as I remember, was poked completely out of the orbit, the eye casing. I remember that Dr. Boswell and I looked into the back of the cranium, looking towards the front, and the orbit-the boney casing around where the eye sits was completely fractured.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James Jenkins: ....And the only thing is that when they were preparing the body for burial, they had to put a suture in the right eyelid in order to keep it closed because apparently there may have been some bone fracture in that area, but there was no externally visible wound or fracturing there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harold Rydberg: I don't think I see in the autopsy pictures--Dr. Humes told me, "make sure that right eye is blackened" because that orbital socket was fractured, and that right eye was blackened. Now even in lividity, where the blood settles to the bottom, the bruises will still show. And there is no bruise on that right eye. On that face [in the autopsy photographs].

Law: You're talking about whenyou had to do the drawings, correct?

Rydberg: Yes. That was one request: "Make sure that right eye is blackened. Bruised. Like you've got a black eye."

Jerrol Custer: The eye was more protruded at the time, but there's nothing to say that the eye wasn't pushed back in. Because at that time also there was a mortician ther doing his work, his job was fixing, making the body more presentable.

All above quotes are from William Matson Law's "IN THE EYE OF HISTORY", how apropos!!

Great "eye" for detail Myra. I wondered why the priest did not close the eyes for the last rites, or were they already closed by the nurses or Crenshaw.

MORE QUOTES:

CE 387 Pathological Examination Report

...the eyes are blue, the right pupil measuring 8 mm.in diameter, the left 4 mm.

There is edema and aechymosis of the inner canthus region

of the left eyelid measuring approximately 1.5 ma. in greatest diameter. There is edema

and ecchymosis diffusely over the right supra-orbital ridge with abnormal mobility of

the underlying bone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MR. GUNN: I notice that this photo is different from the first view that we took a look at. The eye, at least on the right side, appears to be open. Actually, both eyes appear to be open. Do you recall whether the eyes were open during the course of the autopsy?

DR. J THORNTON BOSWELL: I don't recall that that was a point of interest. I think we just moved back and let the photographer take the picture, and I think maybe positioning the body may have had something to do with stretching the eyelids. But I don't think we made any attempt to take the pictures with the eyes open or closed.

MR. GUNN: So the difference on whether the eyes were open or closed would not be of any material significance in terms of the timing of the photographs?

DR. J THORNTON BOSWELL: No.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MR. GUNN: Do you have any recollection as to whether the eyes of President Kennedy were open at any point during the autopsy?

JOHN T. STRINGER: Yes.

MR. GUNN: Were they open at all points during the autopsy?

JOHN T. STRINGER: Well, they kept trying to close them, and they'd open again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MR. GUNN: Do the eyes of President Kennedy appear to be open in these photographs?

Dr. Humes: Yes.

MR. GUNN: Were the eyes, in fact, open during the autopsy, do you recall?

Dr. Humes: The picture shows me that they were.

MR. GUNN: If other photographs did not have the eyes open, would you be able to explain the difference in that appearance?

Dr. Humes: I don't know. I might, I guess. I don't know.

Arlen Specter: Upon your arrival in the room, where President Kennedy was situated, what did you observe as to his condition?

Malcolm Perry: At the time I entered the door, Dr. Carrico was attending him. He was attaching the Bennett apparatus to an endotracheal tube in place to assist his respiration. The President was lying supine on the carriage, underneath the overhead lamp. His shirt, coat, had been removed. There was a sheet over his lower extremities and the lower portion of his trunk. He was unresponsive. There was no evidence of voluntary motion. His eyes were open, deviated up and outward, and the pupils were dilated and fixed.

Edited by Ed LeDoux

For your comparison.....

Stare of death...the slice ? head wound... and from the sides....

Is there a difference in how much the eyelids are closed.??

B

Bernice,

Weren't all these photos taken at Bethesda? I'm talking about the difference in his eye status between Parkland (where Dr Crenshaw said he closed the President's eyes) and Bethesda (where the "autopsy photos" show them to be open). I would expect photos taken during the same session to look the same.

Myra:

Yes of course they were all taken at Bethesda, we only wish.......

Quote: ""I would expect photos taken during the same session to look the same."...

Yes, I would expect so, and also in agreement with such as x-rays and autopsy photos and first statements ....but....

as in the statement above, sometimes they do tend to open.....though

Very little of anything, relates the same, in so much of the said evidence..pertaining to the

assassination, and the autopsy...depends what you read and what you decide to believe..

I haven't decided as yet..I am still waiting...

Below is some info ....and also in relation to a wound seen over the left eye, and with a

wound noted to the right eye area..also... Re Dr.Boswell's autopsy drawing....

Any wound to the right or left temple area

would effect the eye..pertaining to that side.............but.......?

Thanks Ed....

B.. :blink:

Wounds to the Left of JFK's Head?

http://www.dealeyplazauk.co.uk/JFK%20Wounds.htm

Edited by Bernice Moore