The Education Forum

William Gaudet

Hi all,

wondering if anyone can help with some info on William Gaudet. In Anthony Summers 'Conspiracy' it says he had an office near Guy Banister at 'Camp and Common Street' in NO.

Presumably on the corner or between the two streets? Does anyone know which number the office was located at? Have been trying to dig into his presence in New Orleans a bit more but the main thing that comes up on the internet is the fact he was the person in front (or was it behind?) Oswald at the embassy in Mexico City.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

wondering if anyone can help with some info on William Gaudet. In Anthony Summers 'Conspiracy' it says he had an office near Guy Banister at 'Camp and Common Street' in NO.

Presumably on the corner or between the two streets? Does anyone know which number the office was located at? Have been trying to dig into his presence in New Orleans a bit more but the main thing that comes up on the internet is the fact he was the person in front (or was it behind?) Oswald at the embassy in Mexico City.

Hi Francesca,

I can't help as far as where his office was located, but I can tell you he was the editor and publisher of the magazine, 'The Latin American Report'. He was also the former Latin American editor for 'U.S. News and World Report'.

Significantly, he published a booklet which was distributed at the New York World's Fair. It was to do with six Latin American countries moving toward political integration via the Central American Common Market. The countries being Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Panama and Nicaragua.

FWIW.

James

Hi James,

thanks for the information, I didn't know that. Also the photo.

I was just looking through Joan Mellen's book and it mentions the Latin American Report and further says that it was funded by Dr Alton Ochsner, which is very interesting and that it came out of Gaudet's office in the Trade Mart.

So I'm confused - did he have two offices then? The Trade Mart was on Canal Street wasn't it?

Hi James,

thanks for the information, I didn't know that. Also the photo.

I was just looking through Joan Mellen's book and it mentions the Latin American Report and further says that it was funded by Dr Alton Ochsner, which is very interesting and that it came out of Gaudet's office in the Trade Mart.

So I'm confused - did he have two offices then? The Trade Mart was on Canal Street wasn't it?

Francesca,

All I am aware of is that Gaudet occupied office space at the Trade Mart. I have no idea regarding the Camp and Common Street address.

In the February issue of 1960, the 'Latin American Report' listed Ochsner as a Director. What that title means, I can only guess.

Cheers,

James

Edited by James Richards

Hi all,

Name: LATIN AMERICAN REPORTS INC.

Type Entity: Business Corporation

Mailing Address: TRADE MART BLDG, NEW ORLEANS, LA 70150

Domicile Address: TRADE MART BLDG, NEW ORLEANS, LA 70150

Incorporated: 09/16/1946

Registered Agent (Appointed 9/16/1946): WILLIAM G. GAUDET, 2176 ESPLANADE AVE., NEW ORLEANS, LA 70119

Registered Agent (Appointed 9/16/1948): HENRY L. OULLIBER, JR., 4514 S. MIRO STREET, NEW ORLEANS, LA 70125

Hi all,

wondering if anyone can help with some info on William Gaudet.

Francesca, I don't know if you have seen this piece by Dave Reitzes. Gaudet is discussed about halfway down the page.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/shaw4.htm

It has long been known that Gaudet was the next person to appear at the passport window after Lee Oswald, and many writers have assumed that this means the two were there at the same time. Of course such a conclusion does not neccessarily follow. For all we know Lee Oswald might have been there before lunch, with Gaudet arriving an hour or more later.

Hi all,

Francesca, I don't know if you have seen this piece by Dave Reitzes. Gaudet is discussed about halfway down the page.

Reitzes writes that Gaudet "happened to be next in line to Oswald when Oswald applied for his Mexican tourist visa." Like many writers, Reitzes seems to assume that Gaudet and Oswald were there at the same time, but such a conclusion does not neccessarily follow. For all we know, Lee Oswald might have been there before lunch, with Gaudet arriving an hour or more later.

Edited by J. Raymond Carroll

Hi all,

Reitzes writes that Gaudet "happened to be next in line to Oswald when Oswald applied for his Mexican tourist visa." Like many writers, Reitzes seems to assume that Gaudet and Oswald were there at the same time, but such a conclusion does not neccessarily follow. For all we know, Lee Oswald might have been there before lunch, with Gaudet arriving an hour or more later.

Hi Raymond,

yes I've seen that page before thanks. I don't happen to agree with it or most of what McAdam and Reitzes say. Gaudet, a CIA agent, involved in latin american affairs and connected to Ochsner through the LA report, who was connected to Ferrie, Sherman etc, just 'happened' to be next in line to Oswald in Mexico City?! I don't buy it for one second. Surely the fact alone that Gaudet had an ofice in the NO trade mart, and must have known Shaw rings alarm bells with me!

He let slip to Anthony Summers that he had 'known Oswald in New Orleans' before hastily correcting himself that he had only seen him handing out leaflets in the street!

Seems to me a pretty lame excuse by the official bodies that he was there by pure coincidence. I don't think they have ever satisfactorily explained exactly what he was doing there.

Registered Agent (Appointed 9/16/1946): WILLIAM G. GAUDET, 2176 ESPLANADE AVE., NEW ORLEANS, LA 70119

Registered Agent (Appointed 9/16/1948): HENRY L. OULLIBER, JR., 4514 S. MIRO STREET, NEW ORLEANS, LA 70125

Thomas,

many thanks for the info! Where did you obtain it? Interesting the two addresses for Gaudet and Oulliber (do not know of him). Do you know if they are home addresses or office addresses?

Thomas,

many thanks for the info! Where did you obtain it? Interesting the two addresses for Gaudet and Oulliber (do not know of him). Do you know if they are home addresses or office addresses?

The 2176 Esplanade Ave. address of Gaudet was originally an early day home:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. 2176 Esplanade Ave.

A simple, classic-style town house, this was the second Bayou Road home built by Hubert Gerard, who also built at the 1861 structure that now houses Ashton's Bed & Breakfast at no. 2023.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, it was later turned into a series of offices, and now is/was home to several Lawyer/Legal offices.

I do not know the exact date which this occurred, and perhaps someone who has access to all of the old NO Telephone Directories could possibly determined the exact date.

I would assume that it was merely a second office for Gaudet, who was obviously engaged in activities other than merely writing for the Latin America Report, etc;.

Thomas,

Francesca, Gaudet didn't stand in line behind Oswald in Mexico City. That was in New Orleans. But I agree with you that Gaudet's presence in line behind Oswald to get a passport was no accident. Gaudet was tracking Oswald re the fateful Mexico City trip, which would prove a key element in "putting Oswald together"

Roy Bierma

Thomas,

Francesca, Gaudet didn't stand in line behind Oswald in Mexico City. That was in New Orleans. But I agree with you that Gaudet's presence in line behind Oswald to get a passport was no accident. Gaudet was tracking Oswald re the fateful Mexico City trip, which would prove a key element in "putting Oswald together"

Roy Bierma

Mr. Gaudet was involved in attempting to keep track of numerous individuals.

http://www.acorn.net/jfkplace/09/fp.back_i...sue/gaudet.html

William Gaudet

From CE 2880 (WC Volume 26 p. 337)

Dated November 27, 1963

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WILLIAM GEORGE GAUDET telephonically contacted this Agent to advise that he had heard JACK RUBY from Dallas, Texas, had purchased paintings from one LORENZO BORENSTEIN, who has an art gallery somewhere in the 500 block of Royal Street. GAUDET also stated that he did not know what dates RUBY bought these paintings.

11/27/63

New Orleans, La

SA John William Miller

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the same CE 2880 (same WC vol & page)

LORENZO BORENSTEIN, 519 Royal Street, advised that he knew one JACK RUBY only as a customer, and that he had sold RUBY, during the summer of 1963, several paintings of local scenes, the price of which he recalled to be approximately $35.00. BORENSTEIN was unable to give any further information, inasmuch as his records concerning this sale had been destroyed.

11/27/63

New Orleans, La

SA W. J. Danielson, Jr.

SA John William Miller

Previously, I provided the address of WDSU where LHO met Mr. Stuckey:

Name: ROYAL STREET CORPORATION

Merger Information: MERGED INTO ROYAL STREET CORPORATION ON JUNE 17, 1966

Prior Name: WDSU BROADCASTING CORPORATION ( 5/28/1962)

Type Entity: Business Corporation (Non-Louisiana)

Mailing Address: 520 ROYAL ST., NEW ORLEANS, LA

519 on one side of the street.

520 on the opposites side of the street.

I would suppose that we would now have to discuss Mr. Lorenzo Borensteion aka Larry Borenstein, and his connections to the "Jaffee" family.

Here is a start@

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preservation_Hall

Roy Bierma

Sorry, I'm with J. Raymond Carroll on this. Gaudet was the next numerically numbered passport that day, but we have no way of knowing whether or not he was there at the same time as Oswald.

Edited by Stephen Roy

Roy Bierma

Sorry, I'm with J. Raymond Carroll on this. Gaudet was the next numerically numbered passport that day, but we have no way of knowing whether or not he was there at the same time as Oswald.

Considering that Gaudet had travelled throughout Central/South America for many years, it is unlikely that he required a passport.

Especially since the line was reportedly for the Tourist Visa required for visiting Mexico.

So, if Mr. Gaudet was in the line, then he was there to get a Tourist Visa to visit Mexico.

Roy Bierma

Considering that Gaudet had travelled throughout Central/South America for many years, it is unlikely that he required a passport.

Especially since the line was reportedly for the Tourist Visa required for visiting Mexico.

So, if Mr. Gaudet was in the line, then he was there to get a Tourist Visa to visit Mexico.

I'm writing from "on the road", so I have no access to my files, so apologies if I misstated passport/visa. however...

You use the phrase "in the line". Again, we don't know for a fact if there even WAS a line that day. Maybe Oswald was there at 10 and Gaudet at 11:30.

On matters like this, I am an "evidence follower", going as far as the available evidence will reasonably allow. We know that Gaudet was the next name on the list, on the same day. We don't know if there was a line or if they were both in the office at (or even near) the same time. They may have been, but they may not have been.