The Education Forum

E. Howard Hunt Blames LBJ for JFK Assassination

EHH is just having a little fun in his old age trying to pass off a novel as nonfiction.

This may be one of the few JFK assassination books I will not buy.

It sounds as foolish as Blood, Power and Money by Barr McClellan.

Did you bother to read Blood Money and Power?

Dawn

While anything Hunt says is immediately suspect, he could actually be telling us something. Are there any indications Harvey knew Johnson? They both hated RFK, that's for sure. Maybe Hoover introduced them. They both had friendships and/or connections to Marcello, Rosselli, etc. Harvey was in Rome at the time of the shooting, was he not? Might he not have had a few meetings with a few Corsicans by the Colosseum? Might he not have had a talk with Lansdale, Phillips, Morales, etc. and asked them to make it look like a Cuban thing? Hmmm.

Sorry to keep harping on this but LBJ was nothing more than a country bumpkin, hayseed stooge, who was easily manipulated by those who kept him doing their bidding, with promises of keeping him secure in his Senate Majority post, replete with all the prestige someone born of his caliber was only likely to be able to attain in his lifetime.

I still say this video covers it all. It's long, but worth the viewing.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...ntary&hl=en

Thanks for the link, Terry. It's not working right now but I'll try again later.

IMO, LBJ was more than a country bumpkin. This small-town school teacher was able to become the leader of the free world, without ever attaining widespread personal popularity. How was he able to accomplish this when bluebloods like Lodge, Harriman and Rockefeller could not? R-U-T-H-L-E-S-S-N-E-S-S trumps breeding any old day. Just ask LBJ's mirror reflection N-I-X-O-N.

Edited by Pat Speer

EHH is just having a little fun in his old age trying to pass off a novel as nonfiction.

This may be one of the few JFK assassination books I will not buy.

It sounds as foolish as Blood, Power and Money by Barr McClellan.

Did you bother to read Blood Money and Power?

Dawn

I read it, but it was preposterous as it related to the JFK assassination.

THe historical perspective, written by LBJ's legal counsel, was quite interesting inasmuch as it addressed LBJ's rise to power and the tawdry associations which enabled him to do so.

It actually covered the Bobby Baker and Billy Sol Estes matters very well.

But, the notion that Ed Clark, an evil powerbroker lawyer, managed to orchestrate the JFK assassination with the help of a loser/henchman named Mack (his last name escapes me) is well beyond belief and really adds little to what I have tried to learn about the assassination.

McClellan's own professional and legal woes cast a good deal of doubt over the book, even if the thesis of it was not as implausible as it is.

• 2 months later...

http://www.coastalpost.com/07/04/26.html

CONNECTING THE DOTS

BY Larry Kelley

Maybe the Anna Nicole Smith Drama overshadowed his death, but the passing of Super Spook E. Howard Hunt in January was barely mentioned in the "mainstream media." Even more obscure are the recent-eye-popping assertions by Hunt's two sons concerning the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in 1963, namely that "rogue CIA agents" who had approached carried it out Hunt to be part of the operation.

"But he declined," according to Hunt's son, Howard St. John Hunt, now 52, in a recent Los Angeles Times story by Carol Williams, who writes that the son was instructed by dad in 1974 "to back up an alibi" as to Hunt's whereabouts on the day JFK was assassinated in Dallas.

The Warren Commission contradicted much of its own evidence in1964, concluding lone gunman Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK, but in '76 the House Committee on Assassinations concluded that Kennedy "probably" was killed by a conspiracy.

Hunt, 88, the convicted Watergate burglar and organizer of the CIA's Bay of Pigs fiasco in '61, always maintained he was at home in Maryland on Nov. 22, 1963 and in 1981 he won a $650,000 libel suit against a magazine which had accused him of involvement in the assassination.

The verdict and award were appealed and overturned at retrial after witnesses swore they had seen Hunt in Dallas on November 22. A jury decided in January '95 that the magazine had not been guilty of libel when it suggested that people working for the CIA killed JFK. Interviewed by Slate in '04, Hunt had "no comment" when asked where he was on the day of the assassination.

"I did a lot of lying for my father," St. John says. "He told me in no uncertain terms about a plot originating in Miami, to take place in Miami," and that his father had "speculated" that vice president Lyndon Johnson was responsible for moving the assassination to Dallas, "where the Texan could control the security scene," writes Miller.

Hunt's claim to fame in Dallas is his resemblance to one of the three "tramps" photographed while being arrested at the scene of the assassination and later released without so much as identification, according to Dallas police.

His other notoriety, as a convicted Watergate burglar under President Richard Nixon in '72, is remembered fondly as a father-son bonding experience by St. John: "A sweating and disheveled E. Howard Hunt raised his 19-year-old son from a dead sleep," writes Miller, and together they wiped fingerprints from surveillance equipment used in the burglary, packed it into suitcases and dumped the evidence into the Potomac River just before dawn on June 17, 1972.

St, John and his brother David, insist their father related to them a detailed plot to assassinate Kennedy and that the story was worth "big money," But Hunt's memoirs, "American Spy: My Secret History in the CIA, Watergate and Beyond," {Wiley} released in March, falls short of definitive by offering a "hypothetical scenario" on how events in Dallas might have unfolded, with Johnson "atop a pyramid of CIA plotters," says Miller.

The JFK information was cut from the memoir, the brothers say, because Hunt's attorney warned he could face perjury charges if he recanted sworn testimony. After death?

Williams says the brothers have videotape on which Hunt names people as being "possibly involved."

New York Post

HUNT BLAMES JFK HIT ON LBJ

January 14, 2007 -- E. HOWARD Hunt - the shadowy former CIA man who organized the Watergate break-in and was once eyed in the assassination of President Kennedy - bizarrely says that Lyndon Johnson could be seen as a prime suspect in the rubout.

Only the most far-out conspiracy theorists believe in scenarios like Hunt's. But in a new memoir, "American Spy: My Secret History in the CIA, Watergate & Beyond," due out in April, Hunt, 88, writes: "Having Kennedy liquidated, thus elevating himself to the presidency without having to work for it himself, could have been a very tempting and logical move on Johnson's part.

"LBJ had the money and the connections to manipulate the scenario in Dallas and is on record as having convinced JFK to make the appearance in the first place. He further tried unsuccessfully to engineer the passengers of each vehicle, trying to get his good buddy, Gov. [John] Connolly, to ride with him instead of in JFK's car - where . . . he would have been out of danger."

Hunt says Johnson also had easy access to CIA man William Harvey, who'd been demoted when he tried to have Fidel Castro poisoned in defiance of orders to drop covert operations against Cuba. Harvey was "a ruthless man who was not satisfied with his position in the CIA and its government salary," Hunt writes.

"He definitely had dreams of becoming [CIA director] and LBJ could do that for him if he were president . . . [LBJ] would have used Harvey because he was available and corrupt." Hunt denies any hand in the assassination, insisting he wasn't one of three mysterious hobos who were photographed at the scene.

On Watergate, Hunt says he saved G. Gordon Liddy from gagging on urine-tainted booze as they got ready to break into Democratic National Committee headquarters, telling him, "I know you like your scotch, but don't order it . . . Last night when we were hiding in the closet, I had to take a leak in the worst way, and when I couldn't bear it any longer, I found a fairly empty bottle of Johnnie Walker Red - and now let's just say it's quite full."

Home

NEW YORK POST is a registered trademark of NYP Holdings, Inc. NYPOST.COM, NYPOSTONLINE.COM, and NEWYORKPOST.COM

are trademarks of NYP Holdings, Inc.

Copyright 2007 NYP Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01142007/gossi...six/pagesix.htm

The fact remains that the buck stops with United States Secret Service Agents William Greer, Emory Roberts and Roy Kellerman, who were taking orders from some very powerful people.

Edited by Peter McGuire