The Education Forum

William King Harvey

John Simkin

Some researchers have suggested that William Harvey is one of the key CIA figures who could have been involved in the assassination of JFK. Here is some information that I have on Harvey. Please add any you might have on him.

William Harvey, the son of a lawyer, was born in Danville, Indiana, in 1915. After graduating from Indiana University Law School he opened a one-man law practice in Kentucky. In December, 1940, he joined the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

In July 1947 Hoover broke FBI regulations that an agent had to be on two-hour call at all times. J. Edgar Hoover ordered that Harvey should be punished by being reassigned to Indianapolis. Harvey refused the post and resigned. Soon afterwards Harvey joined the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).

Frank Wisner, the head of the Office of Policy Coordination (OPC) asked Harvey to investigate Kim Philby, the British Secret Intelligence Service (SIS) liaison in Washington. Harvey reported back in June 1951 that he was convinced that Philby was a KGB spy. As a result Philby was forced to leave the United States. However, he was not arrested as James Angleton, insisted that he was a loyal member of the secret service (Philby and Angleton had become close friends during the war).

Harvey was sent to West Germany where he worked with Ted Shackley at the CIA Berlin Station. In 1955 he was commander of Operation Gold which succeeded in tapping Soviet phone lines via a 500-yard tunnel into East Berlin. Until it was detected a year later, the tap gave the CIA information about the military plans of the Soviet Union. It was only later that it was discovered that George Blake, a MI6 agent in Berlin, had told the KGB about the tunnel when it was first built.

Tom Parrott, who worked with Harvey in Berlin claims that Harvey was "anti-elitist". He disliked and resented the "Ivy Leaguers in the CIA". According to another agent, Carleton Swift: "He (Harvey believed that the elite had a guilty conscience. Guilt was the upper-class pathology. Actually, he was envious as hell. He wanted to be part of the establishment. He knew he wasn't, so he hated it." According to Swift he ruined several people's careers because of their elite background.

In March I960, President Dwight Eisenhower of the United States approved a Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) plan to overthrow Fidel Castro. The plan involved a budget of $13 million to train "a paramilitary force outside Cuba for guerrilla action." The strategy was organised by Richard Bissell and Richard Helms.

After the Bay of Pigs disaster President John F. Kennedy created a committee (SGA) charged with overthrowing Castro's government. The SGA, chaired by Robert F. Kennedy (Attorney General), included John McCone (CIA Director), McGeorge Bundy (National Security Adviser), Alexis Johnson (State Department), Roswell Gilpatric (Defence Department), General Lyman Lemnitzer (Joint Chiefs of Staff) and General Maxwell Taylor. Although not officially members, Dean Rusk (Secretary of State) and Robert S. McNamara (Secretary of Defence) also attending meetings.

At a meeting of this committee at the White House on 4th November, 1961, it was decided to call this covert action program for sabotage and subversion against Cuba, Operation Mongoose. Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy also decided that General Edward Lansdale (Staff Member of the President's Committee on Military Assistance) should be placed in charge of the operation.

The CIA JM/WAVE station in Miami served as operational headquarters for Operation Mongoose. The head of the station was Ted Shackley and over the next few months became very involved in the attempt to overthrow Fidel Castro. One of Lansdale's first decisions was to appoint Harvey as head of Task Force W. Harvey's brief was to organize a broad range of activities that would help to bring down Castro's government.

On 12th March, 1961, Harvey arranged for CIA operative, Jim O'Connell, to meet Sam Giancana, Santo Trafficante, Johnny Roselli and Robert Maheu at the Fontainebleau Hotel. During the meeting O'Connell gave poison pills and $10,000 to Rosselli to be used against Fidel Castro. As Richard D. Mahoney points out in his book: Sons and Brothers: "Late one evening, probably March 13, Rosselli passed the poison pills and the money to a small, reddish-haired Afro-Cuban by the name of Rafael "Macho" Gener in the Boom Boom Room, a location Giancana thought "stupid." Rosselli's purpose, however, was not just to assassinate Castro but to set up the Mafia's partner in crime, the United States government. Accordingly, he was laying a long, bright trail of evidence that unmistakably implicated the CIA in the Castro plot. This evidence, whose purpose was blackmail, would prove critical in the CIA's cover-up of the Kennedy assassination."

During the Cuban Missile Crisis, Robert Kennedy instructed CIA director John McCone, to halt all covert operations aimed at Cuba. A few days later he discovered that Harvey had ignored this order and had dispatched three commando teams into Cuba to prepare for what he believed would be an inevitable invasion. Kennedy was furious and as soon as the Cuban Missile Crisis was over, Harvey was removed as commander of ZR/RIFLE. On 30th October, 1962, RFK terminated "all sabotage operations" against Cuba. As a result of President Kennedy's promise to Nikita Khrushchev that he would not invade Cuba, Operation Mongoose was disbanded.

Harvey was now sent to Italy where he became Chief of Station in Rome. Harvey knew that Robert Kennedy had been responsible for his demotion. A friend of Harvey's said that he "hated Bobby Kennedy's guts with a purple passion".

Harvey continued to keep in contact with Johnny Roselli. According to Richard D. Mahoney: "On April 8, Rosselli flew to New York to meet with Bill Harvey. A week later, the two men met again in Miami to discuss the plot in greater detail... On April 21 he (Harvey) flew from Washington to deliver four poison pills directly to Rosselli, who got them to Tony Varona and hence to Havana. That same evening, Harvey and Ted Shackley, the chief of the CIA's south Florida base, drove a U-Haul truck filled with the requested arms through the rain to a deserted parking lot in Miami. They got out and handed the keys to Rosselli."

William Harvey died as a result of complications from heart surgery in June, 1976. Some people believe the timing of his death was important.

Harvey took great care not to have his photograph taken. Below is a very rare photograph that only recently became available. I don't think even James Richards has this one.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Namebase entry for William King Harvey:

http://www.namebase.org/main4/William-King-Harvey.html

Anderson,J. Peace, War, and Politics. 1999 (110)

Ashman,C. The CIA-Mafia Link. 1975 (102-3, 209)

Bamford,J. Body of Secrets. 2001 (477, 479)

Bird,K. The Color of Truth. 1998 (224)

CIA. Report on Plots to Assassinate Fidel Castro 1967-04-25 (1, 15, 27, 33-56, 65, 75-6, 113-5, 121-3)

Chernyavsky,V. The CIA in the Dock. 1983 (114-5)

Codevilla,A. Informing Statecraft. 1992 (141)

Corn,D. Blond Ghost. 1994 (48-50, 67-8, 74, 78, 82, 93-6, 301)

Corson,W. The Armies of Ignorance. 1977 (287-8, 371)

Corson,W. Trento,S.& J. Widows. 1989 (29, 57, 73)

Covert Action Quarterly 1994-#49 (23)

Davis,J. Mafia Kingfish. 1989 (422)

Denton,S. Morris,R. The Money and the Power. 2001 (208, 247)

DiEugenio,J. Destiny Betrayed. 1992 (61)

DiEugenio,J. Pease,L. The Assassinations. 2003 (143, 162, 164-5, 180)

Dorril,S. MI6. 2000 (396, 516, 611)

Escalante,F. The Secret War. 1995 (75-6, 102, 106, 117, 130-1, 136, 167, 174, 179)

Evanzz,K. The Judas Factor. 1992 (107-8)

Fensterwald,B. Coincidence or Conspiracy? 1977 (187-92, 210)

Fonzi,G. The Last Investigation. 1993 (329, 372)

Furiati,C. ZR Rifle. 1994 (36-8, 42-3, 48, 60, 90-1, 110-2, 118-21)

Groden,R. Livingstone,H. High Treason. 1990 (312-3)

Hersh,B. The Old Boys. 1992 (187-8, 321, 378-9, 410, 428, 447-8)

Hersh,S. The Dark Side of Camelot. 1997 (187-92, 260, 269-72, 291, 375-7, 381-2)

Hinckle,W. Turner,W. The Fish is Red. 1981 (24-5, 123-6, 135, 189)

Hougan,J. Spooks. 1979 (112, 345)

Kruger,H. The Great Heroin Coup. 1980 (145)

Lasky,V. It Didn't Start With Watergate. 1978 (98)

Mader,J. Who's Who in CIA. 1968

Mangold,T. Cold Warrior. 1991 (65)

Marrs,J. Crossfire. 1990 (186-7, 207, 563)

Martin,D. Wilderness of Mirrors. 1981

McClintock,M. Instruments of Statecraft. 1992 (204-5)

Melanson,P. The Murkin Conspiracy. 1989 (145)

Melanson,P. The Robert F. Kennedy Assassination. 1991 (3)

Minnick,W. Spies and Provocateurs. 1992 (90-1)

Moldea,D. The Hoffa Wars. 1978 (134-5, 277)

Morrow,R. First Hand Knowledge. 1992 (143, 164)

Payne,R. Dobson,C. Who's Who in Espionage. 1984 (73)

Piper,M.C. Final Judgment. 1993 (97)

Powers,T. The Man Who Kept the Secrets. 1981 (162, 172-3, 187-8, 435-6)

Prados,J. Presidents' Secret Wars. 1988 (213-4)

Reese,M. General Reinhard Gehlen: The CIA Connection. 1990 (20)

Riebling,M. Wedge. 1994 (87-93, 103-6, 136, 153-4, 162, 165-70)

Russell,D. The Man Who Knew Too Much. 1992 (235-6, 245, 247, 381, 581-2)

Schorr,D. Clearing the Air. 1978 (165)

Scott,P.D. Crime and Coverup. 1977 (56)

Scott,P.D. Deep Politics. 1993 (66, 90-1, 107, 173, 195)

Scott,P.D... The Assassinations: Dallas and Beyond. 1976 (377-8)

Smith,R.H. OSS. 1981 (366)

State Dept. Foreign Service List 1964-04 (27)

Summers,A. Conspiracy. 1981 (167, 256, 494, 507, 518-9)

Summers,A. Conspiracy. 1989 (528-9)

Syrokomsky,V. International Terrorism and the CIA. 1983 (233, 235)

Tarasov,K. Zubenko,V. The CIA in Latin America. 1984 (226-7)

Thomas,E. The Very Best Men. 1996 (69-70, 130-3, 223, 245, 271, 289-91, 294-5)

Trento,J. The Secret History of the CIA. 2001

Turner,W. Rearview Mirror. 2001 (204-5, 213)

Vankin,J. Whalen,J. The 60 Greatest Conspiracies. 1998 (17)

Volkman,E. Warriors of the Night. 1985 (80)

Warner,R. Back Fire. 1995 (185)

Washington Post 1987-05-03 (A24)

Washington Times 1993-11-18 (A4)

West,N. The Circus. 1984 (90-2)

Willan,P. Puppetmasters. 1991 (38)

Wise,D. Molehunt. 1992 (49, 213)

Wise,D. The American Police State. 1978 (215-6, 222)

Wright,P. Spycatcher. 1987 (147-52, 154, 159-62)

Wyden,P. Bay of Pigs. 1979 (110)

Wyden,P. Wall: The Inside Story of Divided Berlin. 1989 (28, 93-101)

Yakovlev,N. Washington Silhouettes. 1985 (106, 227)

I do have this image but as a 5 X 7 hard copy. My scanner hasn't been working for some time so I have not copied it. The version I have shows the image flipped to the one John posted. I asked my contact who gave me the print originally to send me an electronic version.

Here it is below.

James

I do have this image but as a 5 X 7 hard copy. My scanner hasn't been working for some time so I have not copied it. The version I have shows the image flipped to the one John posted. I asked my contact who gave me the print originally to send me an electronic version.

My comments were based on the photographs of William Harvey on your Photo-Archive website. According to Gus Russo, the photograph came from his second wife, Clara Follich.

The best book on William Harvey is David C. Martin's Wilderness of Mirrors (1980). It is a dual biography of William Harvey and James Angleton. As one can expect, Harvey hated Angleton and suspected him of being a Soviet mole. Harvey never forgave Angleton for stopping the arrest of Philby when his mates, Guy Burgess and Donald Maclean, fled to the Soviet Union in May 1951.

John, I think this places Harvey directly into the SPECIAL GROUP that is evidently responsible for the murder of president John F. Kennedy. In particular, I think this is very significant:

"Harvey was now sent to Italy where he became Chief of Station in Rome. Harvey knew that Robert Kennedy had been responsible for his demotion. A friend of Harvey's said that he "hated Bobby Kennedy's guts with a purple passion".

Harvey continued to keep in contact with Johnny Roselli. According to Richard D. Mahoney: "On April 8, Rosselli flew to New York to meet with Bill Harvey. A week later, the two men met again in Miami to discuss the plot in greater detail... On April 21 he (Harvey) flew from Washington to deliver four poison pills directly to Rosselli, who got them to Tony Varona and hence to Havana. That same evening, Harvey and Ted Shackley, the chief of the CIA's south Florida base, drove a U-Haul truck filled with the requested arms through the rain to a deserted parking lot in Miami. They got out and handed the keys to Rosselli."

Great thread !

Edited by Lynne Foster

I think Shackley and Bill Harvey and the whole JM/WAVE ZERO RIFLE squad were

in this thing ... and they sent the supposed Abort Team with pilot Tosh Plumlee

to Dallas to cover their ashcan...............

My comments were based on the photographs of William Harvey on your Photo-Archive website. According to Gus Russo, the photograph came from his second wife, Clara Follich.

The best book on William Harvey is David C. Martin's Wilderness of Mirrors (1980). It is a dual biography of William Harvey and James Angleton. As one can expect, Harvey hated Angleton and suspected him of being a Soviet mole. Harvey never forgave Angleton for stopping the arrest of Philby when his mates, Guy Burgess and Donald Maclean, fled to the Soviet Union in May 1951.

-------------------------------

John:

The ONLY intelligence service that had "Flag Rank" penetration agents inside the Politburo, KGB, GRU. MVD, etc. was the Israeli Mossad. One of the biggest mistakes they made was to "loan" Col. Oleg Penkoskiy to the MI-6 and the CIA/COS-UK !! They almost compromised him early on by flying him to one of the 22 S.A.S. safe houses, where they photographed him in both U.S. and Brit Army "Dress" (Class A) uniforms -- with a General's rank to boot.

As for Oleg's desire to "take-down" the whole world with him via the telephone contact (where nothing was spoken during the two calls); was due to his firm belief that General Pribikov's "autonomy" in pre-emptive nuke launch status (from the Sov/Base @ Banes, Cuba) did indeed indicate a 90% chance of attack against CONUS.

The question is WHY didn't he make the "Rally"Call" -- which would have sent out a recovery team to pick him up, and then quickly extract him out of the USSR ?? The alternative would have been safe-haven inside the U.S. (Moscow) Embassy, which he didn't even contemplate -- as he would have had to live inside the compound for years before receiving a safe-conduct pass.

He made the proper calls to the "secure-room", and the fact that he didn't follow those calls with a "pick-me-up" signal, meant that he felt secure enough to continue gathering Intel on the Cuba matter.

Moreover, he realized that absent a series of calls by other assets, for instance: Reports of large numbers of Bear & Bison Bombers heading (enmasse) north over the Pole. His calls indicated that his focus remained on Operation Anadyr.

Without the massing of Soviet Armor, mechanized infantry (with tactical nuke missile regiments in support) together with "tactical air" ["en marche" to the "Fulda Gap"] -- only an idiot would think that "War was Imminent"!! [Euro-War, that is]

As for JJA "letting" Philby, Burgess, and MacLean "escape" -- even the Soviets soon figured out that either one of them had been "doubled"; or they were to be received by Mossad assets inside the USSR. Despite the fact that both Shin Beth & Mossad were in their "infancy" during that period -- they already knew that Josef "Stalin" Dugashvilli was on his way out of that "losing game"!!

And whether it was to be by "executive action" or by a coup, they knew that it was only a matter of months until that serial mass murderer was eliminated permanently. The Mossad, backed up by Frank Wisner, Sr., Magruder, FNG Dulles & his brother -- insisted on allowing these three faireys to "evict themselves" !! JJA had NO final say on the matter at the time, and had only served as an intermediary for the Israelis. Carmona, and some of the other "Old Boys" had that singular authority in those matters !!

Chairs,

GPH

John and all,

A few years ago I did quite a bit of research on the great friendship of William Harvey and John Rosselli for a documentary project. Some of it is on my CIA/Mafia timeline at http://jfklancer.com/cuba/castroplots.html .

I also talked to Richard Mahoney about Harvey when he came to town for a book signing and talk. He preferred to separate Harvey from Rosselli when it came down to names for the prospective assassination leaders but I keep the two closely tied -- even though Harvey was reassigned to Rome before November.

Some of the more important things are these:

1. Feb , '61 - Executive Action-ZR/RIFLE : William Harvey, chief of FI/D, was briefed by authority of Richard Bissell on phase one of the mob plots. That briefing was in connection with "Executive Action Capability;" i.e., a general standby capability to carry out assassinations when required. Harvey arranges to be briefed by Edwards. Executive Action program came to be known as ZR/RIFLE.

2. Phase Two: Late 1961 or Early 1962. Operation MONGOOSE under William Harvey begins. Harvey continues to work with Rosselli, while bringing in QJWIN with ZR/RIFLE on a separate course.

a. Nov 13, '61 - Harvey cables the Mexico City CIA Station to dispatch David S. Morales (Morales, a Mexican-American CIA agent from Phoenix, was well known as the Agency 's top assassin in Latin America. Nicknamed El Indio. Mahoney, p135) to JM-WAVE (the CIA base in south Florida) for permanent posting. (Cable 5816, CIA Station (Scott), 19 Nov 1961 to Base, confirming receipt of Harvey 's cable, AA)

b. Nov 15, 61 - ZR/RIFLE: Bissell orders Cuban Task Force head Harvey to implement the application of ZR/RIFLE assassination plan in Cuba. Harvey reestablishes the Agency contact with Mob liaison Rosselli. (Fonzi chronology p 417)

c. Late 1961 or Early 1962 - Task Force W : William K. Harvey is put in charge of Task Force W, the CIA unit for Operation Mongoose. (Alleged Assassination Plots Involving Foreign Leaders, 11/20/75)

d. Apr, 62 - Helms issues what he termed "explicit orders" that William Harvey contact Rosselli. Harvey feels he is taking over an ongoing operation. Edwards later states he felt it was not active.

Note: Harvey complained to McCone about the requirement for advance SGA approval of "major operations going beyond the collection of intelligence" and the fact that applications had to be spelled out in detail. He was delighted when he received orders from Helms to revive the Rosselli project without seeking SGA approval. When questioned by the Senate Intelligence Committee in 1975, Helms conceded that he had not been instructed to do it, but then again he had not been told not to. (Hinckle and Turner p137-138)

Apr 8-9, 62 - Harvey and O 'Connell meet Rosselli in New York. (O 'Connell says Maheu was also present.) (CIA Inspector General 's Report May 1967 p6)

e. Mid Apr, 62 - O 'Connell and Rosselli leave for Miami. Harvey and Edwards travel to Miami together. Establishes Harvey 's takeover with Rosselli with O 'Connell carrying over until June 1962 when O 'Connell is reassigned. Giancana and Trafficante are dropped from the new phase.

f. May 7, '62 - RFK briefed on past CIA-Mafia Plots: RFK meets with Richard Helms (Helms later denied this meeting took place despite a specific indication on RFK 's calendar), and later that afternoon with Sheffield Edwards and CIA general council Lawrence Houston for a briefing on pre-Bay of Pigs organized crime assassination plots. (Testimony of Lawrence Houston HSCA, p62 National Archives) "Mr. Kennedy stated that upon learning CIA had not cleared its action in hiring Maheu and Giancana with the DOJ he issued orders that the CIA should never again take such steps with first checking with the DOJ." CIA does not tell RFK the organized crime plots will continue. (Memo for IG from Sidney D. Stembridge Acting Director of Security 3.16.76, quoting FBI memo FBI 62-109060-4984 - states May 9, '62 as the date for this briefing.)

Edwards continues the charade by writing a memo stating falsely he told Harvey to "drop any plans for use of subject (Rosselli) for the future and "internal memorandum for the record," asserting that the operation was "terminated." Note: Harvey found out about this memo when questioned by the Senate Intelligence Committee in 1975, and he was furious. He declared that it "was not true, and Col. Edwards knew it was not true"; the falsification was intended to show that Edwards was "no longer chargeable should the operation backfire." (Senate Assassination Plots Report p134)

g. Oct 30, 62 - All operations by Task Force W, the CIA 's action arm for Operation Mongoose activities, are called to an immediate halt. However, during the [Cuban Missile] crisis, Director of Task Force W, William Harvey, ordered teams of covert agents into Cuba on his own authority to support any conventional U.S. military operation that might occur. At the end of October, a new mission is about to be dispatched. One of the operatives, concerned about a covert operation so soon after a settlement to the missile crisis has been reached, sends a message to AG Kennedy to verify that the mission is in order. Kennedy, angered to learn that CIA missions are continuing, chastises Harvey and asks CIA Director McCone to terminate the operations. Harvey is demoted and is to be sent to Rome. Edward Lansdale is subsequently sent to Miami to oversee the end of Mongoose. However, three of ten scheduled six-man sabotage teams have already been dispatched to Cuba. On November 8, one of the teams carries out its assigned sabotage mission. (Alleged Assassination Plots Involving Foreign Leaders, 11/20/75, pp. 147-48)

3. Phase Three: Dec 1963, ZR/RIFLE is still in effect, continued contact with Rosselli under William Harvey; AM/LASH under Desmond FitzGerald, and also RFK's activities with the exiles.

a. Dec 22-Jan 6, 63 Harvey is in Miami. Details of activity unknown.

b. Feb, 63 - Harvey Demoted: Harvey is officially removed from his post as head of Project Mongoose on orders from Robert Kennedy and is reassigned to the Rome station as chief of station effectively taking him out of action. He meets with Rosselli in Washington, DC. (Inspector General 's Report, p 53) See entry for Oct 30th.

Harvey gets back in touch with Rosselli in Miami and Los Angeles (Feb 13). Harvey is reportedly seen in Florida meeting with Rosselli as late as June 1963 and visited anti-Castro camps there. Asset is paid $2,700 for expenses. They agree to put assassination plots on hold but leave the bounty of $150,000 active. (Church Committee, 1975)

c. Apr, 63 - According to his testimony, Harvey receives phone call from Rosselli.

d. Apr 13-21, 63 - Harvey is at the Plantation Yacht Harbor motel/marina in Plantation Key, Florida according to his QJWIN/ZRRIFLE expense records. "John A. Wallston" (Rosselli 's alias was John A. Ralston), who listed his address as 56510 Wilshire Blvd the Friars Club in Los Angeles was registered in the next room which was charged to Harvey 's room #22. Harvey spent at least three days there making calls to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Perrine, FL (possibly JM/WAVE station). Records show a boat was chartered to go to Islamorada, FL. There is reimbursement for dinner for three (two unofficial Americans and Harvey) at the Fountainbleu Hotel in Miami on April 20 and also "operational hotel rooms" at the Eden Roc Hotel in Miami. (Twyman pp 442-443; Mahoney p 268)

e. Jun, 63 - Rosselli came to Washington to meet with Harvey who picks him up at Dulles Airport and takes him to dinner. This was to be their official last meeting. FBI surveillance of Rosselli picks up the meeting. Harvey meets with FBI 's CIA liaison Sam Papich the next morning. Harvey explains that he was terminating an operational association with Rosselli. Papich reminds Harvey of the FBI rule requiring FBI personnel to report any known contacts between former FBI employees and criminal elements and that Papich would have to report to Hoover that Harvey had been seen with Rosselli. Hoover and the Justice Dept. liaison Courtney Evans were given detailed reports on the contact. (Mahoney p 286, note 97, p 412)

f. Note: RFK has formed close ties to several Cuban exiles: Roberto San Roman, Enrique Ruiz-Williams, and in '63, Manuel Artime. RFK 's "interference" led to arguments with Harvey (who routinely refers to the AG as "that xxxxer)." By this time Miami is no longer controlled by Washington. Besides Rosselli's kill team, Operation 40, a ZR/RIFLE unit created prior to the Bay of Pigs, brought together Cuban mob henchmen like Eladio del Valle and Rolando Masferrer, soldiers of fortune like Frank Sturgis, and CIA case officers like Col. William Bishop and David Morales, who managed assassins. (Mahoney p 174-175;HSCA staff reports)

Jun 27, 63 - Harvey, winding up his headquarters responsibilities in preparation for assignment in Rome, writes a memo stating that the original justification for employing QJWIN (asset developed for original ZR/RIFLE projects.) no longer existed and raised the question of QJWIN 's termination. He is not terminated until Feb 14, 1964.

For the most reliable and current information on William Harvey, I recommend the reader pair this memo with Noel Twyman's book Bloody Treason, specifically the chapter "The Cuban Obsession" and Larry Hancock's book, "Someone Would Have Talked." (new update coming in Spring 06)

Hope this helps,

Debra

Edited by Debra Conway

John, I think this places Harvey directly into the SPECIAL GROUP that is evidently responsible for the murder of president John F. Kennedy. In particular, I think this is very significant:

"Harvey was now sent to Italy where he became Chief of Station in Rome. Harvey knew that Robert Kennedy had been responsible for his demotion. A friend of Harvey's said that he "hated Bobby Kennedy's guts with a purple passion".

Great thread !

I had to edit my post, sorry for the previous, misquote.

Debra, your post is very interesting, except for Maheau was closer to Hoover's FBI wasn't he?

I think maheau used the CIA the way that Jim Garrison used it --to cover up the truth, in the name of the national security.

Edited by Lynne Foster

An example of an asserted fact in the midst of the Fog of War that was appropriately treated skeptically, was the signal received by a high-ranking Western spy in the Kremlin, Oleg Penkovsky. Just before being arrested in Moscow at the height of the Missile Crisis, it is reported that Colonel Penkovsky "sent the telephonic signal prearranged with his Western handlers to warn them against imminent Soviet attack." Raymond Garthoff revealed: "So when he was about to go down, he evidently decided to play Samson and bring the temple down on everyone else as well.... Fortunately, his Western intelligence handlers, at the operational level, after weighing a dilemma of great responsibility, decided not to credit Penkovsky's final signal and suppressed it."
One of the biggest mistakes they made was to "loan" Col. Oleg Penkoskiy to the MI-6 and the CIA/COS-UK !! They almost compromised him early on by flying him to one of the 22 S.A.S. safe houses, where they photographed him in both U.S. and Brit Army "Dress" (Class A) uniforms -- with a General's rank to boot. As for Oleg's desire to "take-down" the whole world with him via the telephone contact (where nothing was spoken during the two calls); was due to his firm belief that General Pribikov's "autonomy" in pre-emptive nuke launch status (from the Sov/Base @ Banes, Cuba) did indeed indicate a 90% chance of attack against CONUS.... Without the massing of Soviet Armor, mechanized infantry (with tactical nuke missile regiments in support) together with "tactical air" ["en marche" to the "Fulda Gap"] -- only an idiot would think that "War was Imminent"!! [Euro-War, that is]

It's interesting that Gerry attributes Penkovsky's call to the Soviet pre-delegation of authority for use of the tactical Luna missiles to General Pliyev. Penkovsky was such a vital spy and had his fingers in so many pies that there has been great speculation about the cause for him raising the Armegeddon Alarm. It was generally thought that he was warning of a general preemptive nuclear strike.

With the hindsight of history, and the awareness of the degree of the U.S. nuclear superiority, that analysis has become less valid. As for General Gribkov's disclosure to McNamara at the 1989 Moscow conference that Pliyev had "autonomy" to launch, not preemptively, but in response to an invasion force, one has to wonder why Penkovsky never warned of the deployment of tactical weapons if he had that awareness. Certainly, people who minimize the danger of a U.S. invasion during the Missile Crisis don't understand about the Banes Lunas.

The issue of autonomous authorization for a field general to use tactical nuclear weapons mirrors the similar issue of who actually ordered the downing of the American U-2 on the last full day of the Cuban Missile Crisis, Black Saturday. There is a story of Castro reaching over and hitting the button, which has been dismissed as akin to the story of Washington cutting down the cherry tree. Castro and the Soviets have clearly denied that version. It has also never been clearly disclosed who authorized the flight of an American U-2 that very same day which "strayed" over Siberia. It's no wonder why Kennedy and Khrushchev would worry about losing control; they were.

Because of Penkovsky's deep involvement and intelligence gathering during the Berlin Crisis in 1961, and since Penkovsky was executed before explaining the nature of his alarm, he may have been warning of an imminent move on Berlin. I have always considered that the realistic move actually available to Khrushchev was a surgical, but conventional takeover of Berlin. While that may not seem like much, to Kennedy it was the wildcard in the geopolitical deck. A move on Berlin put the nuclear issue squarely into Kennedy's lap, forcing the U.S. into the position of launching a nuclear "Euro-War" or watch NATO disintegrate and the U.S. relegated to the Paper Tiger trash heap.

The story of William Harvey's Berlin initiative is somewhat humorous. He was instrumental in the construction and management of a tunnel which was exposed when it was noticed that the ground above it melted a telltale path of snow.

T.C.

Edited by Tim Carroll

Debra's timeline is very helpful in understanding the sequence of events. I've looked at it many times.

I really recommend Norman Mailer's book "Harlot's Ghost." It is a great read and has a hilarious rendition of the last meeting between Harvey and Rosselli.

Debra's timeline is very helpful in understanding the sequence of events. I've looked at it many times.

I really recommend Norman Mailer's book "Harlot's Ghost." It is a great read and has a hilarious rendition of the last meeting between Harvey and Rosselli.

Thanks Tim. I plan on updating it with more documents and source notes this year. Anyone like to assist let me know.

A few years ago Gus Russo told me he knew a fellow that was writing a biography of Harvey and that Harvey's wife was assisting him. I later heard he couldn't get a publisher. If anyone knows the writer's name, I'd like to contact him and see if he has material he would share with us. Russo also had Harvey's personal copy of the Church committee Vol 5 with Harvey's marginalia. He published a few pages in his book (stacked on top of each other) and sent me copies of the complete pages. I'll see where I've filed them and post them here if you folks are interested.

Best,

Debra