The Education Forum

Aviation

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Copy of a posting in the science area

Departments of the EU Virtual School are running a cross-curricular project with aviation as the focus. The History and D and T departments have produced material. The first draft of the contribution of the chemistry department can be found HERE

Any comments

Very impressive so far chaps.

For my part I will be working on some online resources on the social and environmental impact of the aviation industry.

As a result of the Virtual School (history department, design+technology department) Madrid meeting I've created an aviation history website with links focussing mainly on the Dutch contribution to 100 years of motorized flight. The website is multilingual: Dutch, English and German.

Investigating the field of aviation one soon notices how enormous the amount of material is on aviation history. I Therefore will stick to the Dutch contribution. If anyone knows sites on the internet concerning Dutch aviation, please mail me. :)

Next week: the story of the first Dutch Aviator to die in an aircrash, Clemens van Maasdijk +1910

Problems I have finding materials concerning KLM on the web. Anyone got a hint?

Nico

I have produced some material on some early experiments to produce flying machines. This includes people such as Francesco de Lana, Laurenco de Gusmao, Joseph Michel Montgolfier, Jean Pierre François Blanchard, George Cayley, Henri Giffard, Louis Charles Letur, Alphonse Pénaud, Alexander Mozhaiski, Otto Lilienthal, Clement Adler, Percy Pilcher and Samuel Pierpont Langley.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/Aviation.htm

Guest Andrew Moore

I'd like to write some articles on aviation in literature and the media - looking at poetry, feature films, biographical and historical writing, and perhaps something on reference works, too.

I have produced a couple of history resources as part of the Aviation project. One looks at the Bomber Theory and the contribution it made to the British policy of Appeasement between the two world wars; the other looks at Zeppelins and how effective they were in World War One. Both these resources can be found at the links below. Any comments or criticisms welcome!

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/AVbombertheory.htm

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/AVbomberZeppelin.htm

The French Department of the IST (International School of Toulouse) would also like to participate through literature.

Indeed, our students study 2 books ("Vol de Nuit" and "Le Petit Prince") written by the famous French writer and pilot : Antoine de Saint-Exupéry and we thought that they could produce their own websites about:

- Saint-Ex & Latécoère

- L'Aéropostale

- La disparition mystérieuse de Saint-Ex (the mysterious vanishing of Saint-Ex) --> this can be linked with our Humanities Department (since one of the few hypotheses was that Saint-Ex has been shot by the Germans)

And maybe other topics! If you are a teacher of MFL and are interested in joining in, giving us some ideas or useful links, translating some work in other languages, or whatever else, then do contact us.

So far, our students are working from this website

I'm interested in the social impact of aviation in Sweden and therefore I'll try to find some material about this. This topic could include the location of smaller airports in the country as well as the impact of SAAB (Svenska Aeroplan AB) industries in the small town of Trollhättan.

I will also look into the history of SAAB - from it's foundation in 1937 till today... ;)

An Economics teacher from my school and I are setting up a bilingual site on the History of Aviation. A flash animation in Spanish is already on line http://www.historiasiglo20.org/aviation/aviacion.swf Hopefully, it will soon completed by a chronology in English and a commented collection of Spanish language web sites on the subject.

I'd be interested in contributing to the Environmental Pollution aspect of the VS Chemistry department.

As a member of the VS Biology department perhaps I can encourage the whole department to participate.

I think I can also add an aspect of aviation into my Human Impact on Ecosystems topic in IB Biology at the International School of Toulouse. We have excellent links in the aviation industry, as you may know. We are connected to Airbus in Toulouse. In the summer term I will have some student tested resources to add. I'd be especially interested if my students could also contribute.

Perhaps we can knock heads together Nick.

As will already be clear from a number of posts here and in the DT section, the International School of Toulouse has a strong interest in this project.

Toulouse is the European capital of aviation and since 1974, the home of Airbus. The school is a 'wholly owned subsidiary' of the company.

For the IST this a longterm, cross-curricular project, initially timetabled around the development and launch of the new Airbus A380

bandeau_a380.gif

At first the IST History, Geography and French departments will be formally involved, with other departments joining us later. My role is to help co-ordinate this and also to organise the first 'Aviation Project' meeting on behalf of the European Virtual School D&T department in Toulouse from 18-21 March, 2004.