The Education Forum

Jack the Ripper for GCSE

My College currently teaches the Jack the Ripper as part of GCSE History. My support pages for their assignment can be found here http://www.educationforum.co.uk/jacktheripper.htm

It is certainly a popular topic. I find the topic motivates the students to be sceptical, interested in the past and encourages historical speculation however I am a little ambiguous as to the ethics of focussing on such a series of vile crimes for a large chunk of the course when there is so much else they could be studying of greater importance.

I'd be interested in hearing the views of others

If they learn how to learn through entering a matter of interest and discover all related matters it can be just a template for exploring more important events.

There's some truth in that. However making a curriculum choice always incurs an opportunity cost. Also curriculum choice in history is never neutral. If we always go for the market driven easy engagement option we may end up with a very peculiar curriculum.

The last sentence in the guide bears contemplation.

In a continent where the members of The First Nations spoke more than 500 languages in more than 500 nations, What is : Aboriginal sign language?

The First Nations have various Avoidance Customs born of respect. In particular mentioning dead peoples names and displaying images of them is insensitive. Is it respectful to associate an Aboriginal Language with a study that depends on viewing dead people and naming them, irrespective of the long period since they died? Is there a principle that applies here? If not, why not? If yes, why is it not applied? Is this relevant (?) apropos current North South, West East bias in serious global/local matters causing a breakdown in respect for life and then 'justifies' inequality?

???

Oh dear oh dear!

Its just a 'nonsense' way I get my students to thank each other after they have worked with each other - something teenagers often feel awkward doing - place your palm open and raise to your chin and move the hand towards your partner - nothing to do with the contents of the page or real Aboriginies of any shape of form :plane

If this offends then God help us all :sun