The Education Forum

Ochus Virgil Campbell, Roy Samson Truly, Jeraldean Bray Reid, etc.

The only information I've been able to glean from the Internet regarding Texas School Book Depository President Ochus Virgil Campbell is that he was born in Oklahoma on November 26, 1908, and died on such-and-such date in 1997. According to the 1940 Census, he was living in Dallas, married, working as a "bookkeeper," and there were no children in the household.

He would have been 33 years old (if my math is right) when the U.S. entered WW II but I can find no military records for him at ancestry.com. Was he 4-F or exempted from military service for some other reason?

I also can find no obituary for him.

According to some genealogy websites, it almost looks like after he divorced his first wife (or she died?), he married her daughter (who had the same name as her mother) !

A very mysterious man IMHO...

PS Fascinating is the fact that Jeraldean Reid (Mrs. Robert Anthony Reid) said she was standing in the street directly in front of the front steps near Ochus Campbell and Roy Truly during the assassination and that Campbell told her a few seconds after it happened that the shots had come from the Grassy Knoll area.

Mrs. REID. And I turned to Mr. Campbell and I said, "Oh, my goodness, I am afraid those came from our building," because it seemed like they came just so directly over my head, and then I looked up in the windows, and saw three colored boys up there, I only recognized one because I didn't know the rest of them so well.

Mr. BELIN. Which one did you know?
Mrs. REID. James Jarman.

Mr. BELIN. before you turned and went back into the building did you---did Mr. Campbell say anything to you?
Mrs. REID. He said, "Oh, Mrs. Reid, no, it came from the grassy area down this way," and that was the last I said to him.

Mr. BELIN. Did you see anything else of people running or doing anything else?
Mrs. REID. No; because I ran into the building. I do not recall seeing anyone in the lobby. I ran up to our office.

Mr. BELIN. You went into the building in the main lobby?
Mrs. REID. Yes; I did.
Mr. BELIN. Did you take the elevator or the stairs?
Mrs. REID. No; I went up the stairs.

--Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

• 2 months later...

The only information I've been able to glean from the Internet regarding Texas School Book Depository President Ochus Virgil Campbell is that he was born in Oklahoma on November 26, 1908, and died on such-and-such date in 1997. According to the 1940 Census, he was living in Dallas, married, working as a "bookkeeper," and there were no children in the household.

He would have been 33 years old (if my math is right) when the U.S. entered WW II but I can find no military records for him at ancestry.com. Was he 4-F or exempted from military service for some other reason?

I also can find no obituary for him.

According to some genealogy websites, it almost looks like after he divorced his first wife (or she died?), he married her daughter (who had the same name as her mother) !

A very mysterious man IMHO...

PS Fascinating is the fact that Jeraldean Reid (Mrs. Robert Anthony Reid) said she was standing in the street directly in front of the front steps near Ochus Campbell and Roy Truly during the assassination and that Campbell told her a few seconds after it happened that the shots had come from the Grassy Knoll area.

Mrs. REID. And I turned to Mr. Campbell and I said, "Oh, my goodness, I am afraid those came from our building," because it seemed like they came just so directly over my head, and then I looked up in the windows, and saw three colored boys up there, I only recognized one because I didn't know the rest of them so well.

Mr. BELIN. Which one did you know?

Mrs. REID. James Jarman.

Mr. BELIN. before you turned and went back into the building did you---did Mr. Campbell say anything to you?

Mrs. REID. He said, "Oh, Mrs. Reid, no, it came from the grassy area down this way," and that was the last I said to him.

Mr. BELIN. Did you see anything else of people running or doing anything else?

Mrs. REID. No; because I ran into the building. I do not recall seeing anyone in the lobby. I ran up to our office.

Mr. BELIN. You went into the building in the main lobby?

Mrs. REID. Yes; I did.

Mr. BELIN. Did you take the elevator or the stairs?

Mrs. REID. No; I went up the stairs.

bumped for Linda and Ian

Edited by Thomas Graves

I found some interesting info connecting OV Campbell to something called "American Public Administration Service" in 1941.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2245&dat=19410320&id=cu8zAAAAIBAJ&sjid=su4HAAAAIBAJ&pg=5650,922921&hl=en

edit - fix typo

Edited by Chris Newton

I found some interesting info connecting OV Campbell to something called "American Public Administration Service" in 1941.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2245&dat=19410320&id=cu8zAAAAIBAJ&sjid=su4HAAAAIBAJ&pg=5650,922921&hl=en

edit - fix typo

Chris,

Might be a different O.V. Campbell.

I wonder why the Internet has never heard of the "American Public Administration Service" except as regards the placing / evaluating of 80 civil service workers in Lodi, California, in 1941?

Tommy,

I thought it was pretty obscure too.

It appears the company is out of Chicago. A little more digging reveals: "Public Administration Service" does consultant work for states, counties, cities and some foreign governments:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19530812&id=9loaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=0yMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6803,5215993&hl=en

Chicago?

Hmmmm...

The mother of O.V. Campbell's wife, Mary Beth [nee Kupstis] was from Des Plaines, a Chicago suburb near O'Hare Airport.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2000-08-22/news/0008220105_1_love-and-care-father-tom-memorial-services

The only thing I'm suggesting here is that next to nothing is known about Campbell. His work in 1941 is for an agency about which a records search turns up ONLY referenced to Chicago.

And his [second] wife's family is, oddly enough, from the Chicago region.

I'm not bold enough to speculate my way to ANY conclusions based upon that sketchy information. And anyone else who does would be going out on a very precarious limb.

Hold everything on the OV Campbell/"Public Administration Service" angle.

I think the "O.V." is a reporting error. "O.W." is more likely:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1983&dat=19460528&id=ZSsiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RKQFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1429,2348551&hl=en

And later the same O.W. Campbell was Miami-Dade County Manager:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1346&dat=19591126&id=jlpYAAAAIBAJ&sjid=MPoDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7368,3836118&hl=en

Sorry.

Edited by Chris Newton

Hold everything on the OV Campbell/"Public Administration Service" angle.

I think the "O.V." is a reporting error. "O.W." is more likely:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1983&dat=19460528&id=ZSsiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RKQFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1429,2348551&hl=en

And later the same O.W. Campbell was Miami-Dade County Manager:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1346&dat=19591126&id=jlpYAAAAIBAJ&sjid=MPoDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7368,3836118&hl=en

Sorry.

Darn.

And I was hoping to tie the super-secret American Public Administration Service into the assassinations (plural), 9/11, and the ouster if Yanukovych in Ukraine.

LOL

Back to the drawing board...

• 5 months later...

DMN Nov 23 1963

Ochus-Campbell-Dallas-Monring-News.jpg

NYHT Nov 23 1963

NYHT-Nov-22-1963.jpg

Ochus Campbell in Somerset Daily American March 31, 1970

Somerset-Daily-American-March-31-1970.jp

Edited by Bart Kamp