The Education Forum

American West Panel

John Simkin

I teach American History and U.S. Government at Winfield High School in Winfield, Kansas, USA. I am a member of the National Council for History Education. I have worked as a Cowboy to pay my way through University and am a third generation rancher. Because of my background I have studied the American West extensively.

Edited by Justin Q. Olmstead

Head of History (Humanities) for 20 years!! Two years seconded as Advisory Teacher ICT (a long time ago now!). Been using computers in history lessons since Fletchers Castle and Attack on the Somme on the BBC B. Contributed articles and software to HistoryOnline. Wrote most of the questions files that now accompany the AVP History Multimedia titles (but I am not particularly proud of that). Written a couple of Modern Times Source Book titles for Longman and also a text on modern Japanese history. Presently working (with Alf and Sue Wilkinson) on a KS3 series for Pearson. Can do simple things in Visual Basic, Flash and more recently Mediator. Particularly interested in modelling history (simulations).

• 1 month later...

Having obtained a degree in Archaeological Studies I worked as a field archaeologist in Britain and then at the University of New Mexico. From there I moved into education and became a teacher in 1984. I have been a Head of Department and am currently the Head of History and Archaeology at the West Somerset Community Collge in Minehead, Somerset and also a Senior Teacher there. I have also gained examination experience having served as a moderator, examiner, team leader for both, Principal Examiner, INSET provider and reviser for one of the major GCSE boards (a number of these posts I still retain). I have published a number of things for Heinemann, Hodder and Stoughton and Shire Publications.