The Education Forum

The blond Oswald in Mexico

I am not sure if its the same guy.

Are there pictures of the scientists?

Scientists? Plural???

Thomas

This is where I found my Moskalev and Oak ridge connectionhttp://www.hss.energy.gov/healthsafety/ohre/roadmap/histories/0468/0468toc.html

Ian

Bill

thanks for the extra info.

Ian

Ian, what's the Oak Ridge connection to Moskalev? Is he mentioned in that report? Maybe I just didn't see it.

Thanks, BK

[/quote

Bill

Goldman says Moskalev visited him in 1960 ,whilst Goldman was connected to Oak ridge before before and during the whole of the sixties. Moskalev was interested in whole body radiation counters

He photographed Goldmans own detector.

The Russians were experimenting with radiation of different elements

I.e. Radium and strontium. The U.S. we're using beagles the Russians were using humans!

Ian

Ps if be could photograph equipment he would have no trouble gaining access

To Oak ridge !

Thanks Ian, I missed that.

I am interested in seeing if there is a connection between Moskelev and Oswald or an Oswald imposter signing the Nuke History Museum log book.

JFKcountercoup: Lee H. Oswald at Atomic Energy Museum

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am normally very reticent about making claims these days, which is why anyone that knows me, knows how unusual it is for me to go out on a limb and say I believe Robert E. Webster is the person who was impersonating Oswald in Mexico City.

This was not some spur of the moment type of decision, but I still admit the possibility I could be wrong.

At any rate, below is just, what got me started.

I will continue after the document below, which I do not believe is exactly a well known Warren Commission document.

Commission Document 340 - FBI Gazur Report of 21 Jan 1964 re: JFK Assassination Oswald/Robert E. Webster

ROBERT EDWARD WEBSTER, a United States citizen who defected to the U.S.S.R. during the Fall of 1959 and who eventually returned to the United States as an immigrant, 5/62 on 1/17/64, advised he had no contact whatsoever with LEE HARVEY OSWALD although while in U.S.S.R. heard during late 1959 that OSWALD defected to the U.S.S.R.

DETAILS: AT CLEVELAND, OHIO

January 21 1964 Mr ROBERT EDWARD WEBSTER Room 11 In-City Motel, Main Street, Wellsville, Ohio advised he had no contact whatsoever with LEE HARVEY OSWALD. He stated his only knowledge of OSWALD was limited to his having overheard conversation between two Americans mentioning Oswald at the American National Exhibit in Russia during the latter months of 1959, to the effect that OSWALD had defected from the United States to live in Russia. Webster said he could not recall the identities of the persons who were involved in that conversation. He said OSWALD’s name was never mentioned to him by anyone in the U.S.S.R., or in the United States.

WEBSTER stated that after his defection from the United States during the Fall of 1959, he lived common-law with VERA IVANOVNA PLATONOVA at Kondratievski, Prospect, House #63 Apartment 18, Leningrad, K-197, U.S.S.R., and was employed as a plastics technician by the Soviet Government at the Plastics Institute of Leningrad, where he earned approximately $270 per month (the equivalent to as scientists pay in the U.S.S.R.) until he decided to return to the United States.

WEBSTER stated that on August 18, 1960, a baby girl was born from his aforementioned common-law relationship, and he later adopted this child which was named SVETLANA ROBERTOVNA VEBSTER. He said he occasionally sends money to the U.S.S.R. for the support of this child and occasionally receives a letter from the mother of this child who continues to reside in the Soviet Union.

He explained that during 1960, a letter written by his father convinced him that he should return to the United States and face his responsibilities. He added his mother at that time suffered a nervous breakdown over his defection to Russia. He said he first applied for permission to leave Russia about August of 1960 and was advised in October of 1960 that such had been refused. He re-applied for permission to leave during October 1961, and received notification that such had been approved in March 1962. He said that it took the United States Government a couple of months to grant him a visa to enter the United States as an immigrant. He advised he plans to become a naturalized United States citizen after the expiration of a waiting period which will conclude about 1967. WEBSTER stated that upon re-entering the United States in May 1962 he had been employed by the Luger Boat Company, Minneapolis, Minnesota for about one month as a foreman and then came to Wellsville, Ohio where he has been employed for approximately one year by Wesco Manufacturing Company as a plastics technician.

Webster stated that since he left the U.S.S.R., he has had no contact with any official of the U.S.S.R., and no pressure of any type had ever been exerted on him by VERA PLATONOVA to cause him to commit any act on behalf of the U.S.S.R

Webster advised he is 35 years of age and appeared to be approximately 5’7,” 145 lbs., blond hair, blue eyes and of fair complexion and medium build.

https://www.maryferr....do?docId=10741

[...]

(emphasis added by T. Graves)

Robert,

Right now eBay has a couple of old press photos of Oswald-look-alike Robert E. Webster that I haven't seen before.

There's one that shows Webster "preparing the exhibition" in Russia with blond hair, and another one with him back in the U.S. with his wife and children which also shows him as an apparent blondie.

Just go to eBay and in the search box type in "Robert E Webster."

--Tommy :sun

PS I wonder how well Webster spoke Russian after living there for a couple of years? Could it be that he spoke "terrible, hardly understandable Russian?"

Edited by Thomas Graves

I dunno. I think if you let wacky old movie actor Robert Walker loose in Russia at the same time as the guy in the e-bay pictures (Webster), you'd create more confusion.

Webster looks like Oswald only in the way that everybody else said to look like Oswald looks like him. People like John Thomas Masen, Vaughn Marlowe, the Mexico City blonde, and Webster - they couldn't drop Oswald's name in Dallas in November 1963 without being remembered as other than imposters. Oswald couldn't disappear in a line-up with these four guys.

What espionage advantage is there in having defectors that vaguely look alike? The sole use would seem to be one impersonating the other at some point. Was that going to happen with Oswald and Webster?

Edited by David Andrews

I dunno. I think if you let wacky old movie actor Robert Walker loose in Russia at the same time as the guy in the e-bay pictures, you'd create more confusion.

Webster looks like Oswald only in the way that everybody else said to look like Oswald looks like him. People like John Thomas Masen, Vaughn Marlowe, the Mexico City blonde, and Webster - they couldn't drop Oswald's name in Dallas in November 1963 without being remembered as other than imposters. Oswald couldn't disappear in a line-up with these four guys.

What espionage advantage is there in having defectors that vaguely look alike? The sole use would seem to be one impersonating the other at some point. Was that going to happen with Oswald and Webster?

"The guy in the eBay pictures"? The guy in the eBay pictures is Robert E. Webster.

I dunno. I think if you let wacky old movie actor Robert Walker loose in Russia at the same time as the guy in the e-bay pictures, you'd create more confusion.

"The guy in the eBay pictures"? The guy in the eBay pictures is Robert E. Webster.

Yeah - and he doesn't look like Oswald.

• 4 weeks later...

[...]

And what is more compelling about Mr. William Thomas is that he had contacted Secretary of State William P. Rogers, about the Oswald twist party telling him, in a letter, “I believe this story merits your attention......Since I was the Embassy officer in Mexico who acquired this intelligence information,” Thomas wrote, “I feel a responsibility for seeing it through to its final evaluation.”

[John] Newman reveals that not only had Thomas been working for the CIA all along, for Branch 4 of the Covert Action Staff, but that his previous assignment had been to Haiti, from January 8, 1961 until the summer of 1963.

[...]

[emphasis added by T. Graves]

Robert,

Great post, but I'm sure you meant to say Charles William Thomas, not "William Thomas."

--Thomas :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

• 1 year later...

Kathy,

I may be wrong here but I believe that photo was one of two made public by the HSCA in an attempt to discover the subjects' identities.

I always though he looked like Louis Steven Witt.

James

James (wherever you are),

I agree. He looks like a blond Louis Witt, who many years after the assassination claimed to have been the 11/22/63 "Umbrella Man" on Elm Street.

In this profile photo (in the first post of this thread), he looks like he has a thin face.

Oswald_in_Mexico_thin_blond.JPG

Cuban Consul Eusebio Azcue told the HSCA that the "Oswald" who visited the Cuban Consulate had "dark blond" hair, was over thirty years of age, and had "a very thin face".

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=954&relPageId=140

It looks like Louie Steven Witt had dark blond hair and a thin face:

louisstevenwittpanel.png

Different ears, though

Bill Simpich has pretty much convinced me that the other "blond Oswald" photographed by the CIA in Mexico City was an architect friend of Silvia Duran's by the name of Ernesto Lehfeld Miller. The story is that Ernesto used to borrow Silvia Duran's car. Many researchers have speculated over the years that this other "blond Oswald" was Claude Capehart.

Edited by Thomas Graves

I made a mistake when I posted this a year ago - can someone blow it up for me? This set of photos dated Oct 2 1963, at 12:05 pm, taken at,the Soviet consulate minutes before the so-called Mystery Man, at numbers 6 and 7, shows the man looking like Witt listed as "LEON",

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=4490&relPageId=3

Could "Leon" be short for "Nikolai Leonov", the third consul who is in the russian parliament today?
The two photos in the top half of this page are blow-ups of Leon looked at by HSCA - some thought he looked like LHO
Here is a picture of Leonov during this era.

For what it's worth, Leonov was a short blond man.

I made a mistake when I posted this a year ago - can someone blow it up for me? This set of photos dated Oct 2 1963, at 12:05 pm, taken at,the Soviet consulate minutes before the so-called Mystery Man, at numbers 6 and 7, shows the man looking like Witt listed as "LEON",

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=4490&relPageId=3

Could "Leon" be short for "Nikolai Leonov", the third consul who is in the russian parliament today?

The two photos in the top half of this page are blow-ups of Leon looked at by HSCA - some thought he looked like LHO

There are lots of photos of Nikolai Leonov on the internet.

Here's one showing him interpreting for Castro and Khrushchev in Moscow.

Nikita+Kruschev,+Nikolai+Leonov+y+Fidel+

http://manchiviri.blogspot.com/2013/12/por-que-fracasaran-las-reformas-de-raul.html

Mystery solved.

Edited by Thomas Graves

Here's one showing him interpreting for Castro and Khrushchev in Moscow.

http://manchiviri.blogspot.com/2013/12/por-que-fracasaran-las-reformas-de-raul.html

Same ears.

Mystery solved.

Regarding the other "blond Oswald" in Mexico City who, according to Bill Simpich was probably Ernesto Lehfeld Miller, there is an Ernesto Lehfeld (whose mother was Doris Miller) on ancestry.com, but I'm not a member. Maybe there are some photos of him there...

http://records.ancestry.com/ernesto_lehfeld_records.ashx?pid=187823779

The following 11/20/63 CIA document about Claude Barnes Capehart says he was 6'1", 220 lbs and that he was born in Okemah, Oklahoma, on October 15, 1924, making him 40 years of age at the time of the assassination. So evidently Capehart wasn't the short, thin, Mexico City "blond Oswald".

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=14179&relPageId=2

Edited by Thomas Graves

Here's one showing Leonov interpreting for Castro and Khrushchev in Moscow.

Same ears.

Mystery solved.

Regarding the other "blond Oswald" in Mexico City who, according to Bill Simpich was probably Ernesto Lehfeld Miller, there is an Ernesto Lehfeld (whose mother was Doris Miller) on ancestry.com, but I'm not a member. Maybe there are some photos of him there...

http://records.ancestry.com/ernesto_lehfeld_records.ashx?pid=187823779

The following 11/20/63 CIA document about Claude Barnes Capehart says he was 6'1", 220 lbs and that he was born in Okemah, Oklahoma, on October 15, 1924, making him 40 years of age at the time of the assassination. So evidently Capehart wasn't the short, thin, Mexico City "blond Oswald".

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=14179&relPageId=2

In case you missed it.....

Nikolai Leonov interpreting for Castro and Khrushchev in Moscow.

He was usually in Mexico City.

Here's the short, blond, thin-faced guy who was secretly photographed by the CIA in Mexico City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Leonov

Bill Simpich was right.

Edited by Thomas Graves

Hi Tommy,

Sorry for any confusion.

You mentioned he was holding an umbrella; so I just wanted to say he looks nothing like the Umbrella Man aka TUM. Not in appearance or dress.

I seem to remember a Congo thread with a similar umbrella reference back in the day. Neither that Cuban or CBC was the Umbrella Man. And yes, we were talking about the blond Oswald.

Awesome work on the picture once again. Great job.

Zach

Actually....

I now think that the suit-wearing guy on the left who resembles Ernesto Lehfeld Miller (or, evidently, Claude Capehart) is holding the hand of a child, not an umbrella.

normal_Allen_Crop4.jpg

Edited by Thomas Graves