The Education Forum

E. Howard Hunt Blames LBJ for JFK Assassination

New York Post

HUNT BLAMES JFK HIT ON LBJ

January 14, 2007 -- E. HOWARD Hunt - the shadowy former CIA man who organized the Watergate break-in and was once eyed in the assassination of President Kennedy - bizarrely says that Lyndon Johnson could be seen as a prime suspect in the rubout.

Only the most far-out conspiracy theorists believe in scenarios like Hunt's. But in a new memoir, "American Spy: My Secret History in the CIA, Watergate & Beyond," due out in April, Hunt, 88, writes: "Having Kennedy liquidated, thus elevating himself to the presidency without having to work for it himself, could have been a very tempting and logical move on Johnson's part.

"LBJ had the money and the connections to manipulate the scenario in Dallas and is on record as having convinced JFK to make the appearance in the first place. He further tried unsuccessfully to engineer the passengers of each vehicle, trying to get his good buddy, Gov. [John] Connolly, to ride with him instead of in JFK's car - where . . . he would have been out of danger."

Hunt says Johnson also had easy access to CIA man William Harvey, who'd been demoted when he tried to have Fidel Castro poisoned in defiance of orders to drop covert operations against Cuba. Harvey was "a ruthless man who was not satisfied with his position in the CIA and its government salary," Hunt writes.

"He definitely had dreams of becoming [CIA director] and LBJ could do that for him if he were president . . . [LBJ] would have used Harvey because he was available and corrupt." Hunt denies any hand in the assassination, insisting he wasn't one of three mysterious hobos who were photographed at the scene.

On Watergate, Hunt says he saved G. Gordon Liddy from gagging on urine-tainted booze as they got ready to break into Democratic National Committee headquarters, telling him, "I know you like your scotch, but don't order it . . . Last night when we were hiding in the closet, I had to take a leak in the worst way, and when I couldn't bear it any longer, I found a fairly empty bottle of Johnnie Walker Red - and now let's just say it's quite full."

Home

NEW YORK POST is a registered trademark of NYP Holdings, Inc. NYPOST.COM, NYPOSTONLINE.COM, and NEWYORKPOST.COM

are trademarks of NYP Holdings, Inc.

Copyright 2007 NYP Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01142007/gossi...six/pagesix.htm

While anything Hunt says is immediately suspect, he could actually be telling us something. Are there any indications Harvey knew Johnson? They both hated RFK, that's for sure. Maybe Hoover introduced them. They both had friendships and/or connections to Marcello, Rosselli, etc. Harvey was in Rome at the time of the shooting, was he not? Might he not have had a few meetings with a few Corsicans by the Colosseum? Might he not have had a talk with Lansdale, Phillips, Morales, etc. and asked them to make it look like a Cuban thing? Hmmm.

One thing is certain, by mentioning this information Hunt secures a few more purchases of his book from the likes of ourselves in the research community.

John

I see where my former Watergate client, Howard Hunt, is fingering LBJ as the culprit in the Kennedy assassination. My educated guess is that at some point in time in the last year or so Hunt has been a reader of this Forum as he gathered information to support his thesis.

Below is a another news report about Hunt's proposed book:

-------------------------------------

Convicted Watergate 'plumber' claims LBJ may have had JFK assassinated

01/14/2007

Filed by Ron Brynaert

www.rawstory.com

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2007/Convicte...J_may_0114.html

In a soon-to-be-published book, a former CIA agent, convicted for his role as a "plumber" in the Watergate scandal, claims that former President Lyndon B. Johnson may have played a role in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

According to the New York Post's gossip column, Page Six, "E. Howard Hunt – the shadowy former CIA man who organized the Watergate break-in and was once eyed in the assassination of President Kennedy – bizarrely says that Lyndon Johnson could be seen as a prime suspect in the rubout."

"Only the most far-out conspiracy theorists believe in scenarios like Hunt's," the column continues. "But in a new memoir, American Spy: My Secret History in the CIA, Watergate & Beyond, due out in April, Hunt, 88, writes: 'Having Kennedy liquidated, thus elevating himself to the presidency without having to work for it himself, could have been a very tempting and logical move on Johnson's part.'"

In 2004, the History Channel aired a program called The Guilty Men, which was partially based on a book by Barr McClellan, who alleged that "the law firm he quit a quarter-century ago was involved in convoluted plots that link Johnson to at least 11 deaths, including President Kennedy's." After much criticism, the cable channel apologized to its viewers, then aired a follow-up special which included a panel of three historians who "debunked" the claim.

"We have a great responsibility and this time we did not live up to it," History Channel executive vice president Dan Davids said. "We hold ourselves accountable. As we have said before, nothing is more important to us than the accuracy of our programming and the integrity of our network."

"LBJ had the money and the connections to manipulate the scenario in Dallas and is on record as having convinced JFK to make the appearance in the first place," Hunt writes, according to the tabloid. "He further tried unsuccessfully to engineer the passengers of each vehicle, trying to get his good buddy, Gov. [John] Connolly, to ride with him instead of in JFK's car – where...he would have been out of danger."

A blurb from Hunt's publisher states that in American Spy, "a legendary CIA operative and central figure in the Watergate scandal at last tells his story."

"Now in his late eighties, Hunt looks back over his storied career, revealing what really happened and debunking the many rumors that have swirled around him," the blurb continues. "Writing with his characteristic salty wit, he brings to life his exploits in the CIA, offering surprising revelations about the agency’s Latin American operations–and its masterly manipulation of politics and the media in the U.S."

Adding, "He details the 'black bag jobs' of the White House plumbers, explains why he agreed to participate in the Watergate burglary–even though he thought it was a bad idea–and sheds new light on the aftermath of the break-in. He sets the record straight on rumors about his first wife’s death and accusations that have linked him to the JFK assassination and the George Wallace shooting. And finally, he offers an insider’s advice on how the CIA must now reshape itself to regain its edge and help win the war on terrorism."

Excerpts from Page Six column:

#

Hunt says Johnson also had easy access to CIA man William Harvey, who'd been demoted when he tried to have Fidel Castro poisoned in defiance of orders to drop covert operations against Cuba. Harvey was "a ruthless man who was not satisfied with his position in the CIA and its government salary," Hunt writes.

"He definitely had dreams of becoming [CIA director] and LBJ could do that for him if he were president . . . [LBJ] would have used Harvey because he was available and corrupt." Hunt denies any hand in the assassination, insisting he wasn't one of three mysterious hobos who were photographed at the scene.

My educated guess is that at some point in time in the last year or so Hunt has been a reader of this Forum as he gathered information to support his thesis.

Could be, though I hope he came up with something better than the following, for which there is no substantiated source that I'm aware of, rather it's one of those things that some researchers keep saying as if repetition makes it true:

"He further tried unsuccessfully to engineer the passengers of each vehicle, trying to get his good buddy, Gov. [John]Connolly, to ride with him instead of in JFK's car – where...he would have been out of danger."

It will be interesting to see what source if any Hunt cites. His previous autobiography Undercover has no footnotes. Not only that, but the year 1963 is missing completely.

When Hunt's book comes out in April it will present us with a tremendous opportunity to highlight the suspicions surrounding Hunt in the JFK assassination.

John's page on Hunt currently stands third in the google rankings, with Wikipedia in first and ...wait for it .... Hunts own website in third.

Yes, Howard Hunt has a website!, http://www.ehowardhunt.com/ and a poor one at that.

Hunt gives current affairs commentary and provides an article about him, in which I states that he was the basis for the character ethan Hunt in the series 'Mission Impossible'.

Hunts commentary is steadfastly anti-whateverlookslikecommunism, ranting about Chavez and Castro.

Douglas, perhaps you could re-establish contact with your former client. I notice that both yourself and Hunt were well acquainted with William F. Buckley, is this still the case?

I think renewing our discussion on Hunt in Dealey Plaza, Mark Lane's book about the legal proceedings involving liberty lobby and Hunts friendship with important figures in the case should be high on the forums priority list come March and April. The Wikipedia page on Hunt, surprisingly features only information on Hunt's possible involvment in the assassination of JFK, adding to this should be a priority so get your copies of Canfield and Weberman out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._Howard_Hunt

From an internet point of view, the ball is very much in our court.

John

Edited by John Geraghty

"He further tried unsuccessfully to engineer the passengers of each vehicle, trying to get his good buddy, Gov. [John]Connolly, to ride with him instead of in JFK's car – where...he would have been out of danger."

It will be interesting to see what source if any Hunt cites.

This question came up once before and John Simkin gave the source as Jim Bishop's book. I recall checking Bishop and being unable to figure out what source he was relying on.

Bishop's interviews/notes should have been collected by the ARRB, but I don't think they got anything from his estate or from William Manchester's.

"bizzarely says....only the most far out conspiracy theorists..."

Far out, man.

How bizzarre is that?

BK

My take on LBJ was that he, JEH and a few others got on the assassination 'boat' after the boat had left harbor.....they were 'on board' but hadn't hatched the plan. Hunt would know as he, IMO, was closer to the real planners and implementers..but would like to point fingers away from himself....and who is easier than a dead man.....what else is new?....

Forgive my naivete, but who is JEH?

Thanks.

Chris

"bizzarely says....only the most far out conspiracy theorists..."

Far out, man.

How bizzarre is that?

BK

My take on LBJ was that he, JEH and a few others got on the assassination 'boat' after the boat had left harbor.....they were 'on board' but hadn't hatched the plan. Hunt would know as he, IMO, was closer to the real planners and implementers..but would like to point fingers away from himself....and who is easier than a dead man.....what else is new?....

Forgive my naivete, but who is JEH? Thanks. Chris

Hi Chris,

JEH is the cross-dressing queer whose name is on the HQ of the Federal Bureau of Investigations in DC and back door neighbor of LBJ.

Chris, have you ever looked into the tax records re: JFK assassination?

BK

Perhaps in his old age Hunt has decided to tell us that it was conspiracy. I doubt he will go further and implicate his

old agency- Actually though, it's CIA for life. I agree that it would be great if Doug Caddy would/could open a new dialogue

with E Howard and just see what possibly shakes loose. Hunt's "no comment" regarding his possible presence in Dallas 11/22/63, and Angleton's possible involvement in the assassionation demonstrate that he is willing to make a couple of minor admissions.

Time is short; it's worth a try.

Dawn

Hunt could hardly get yet another memoir published without covering what was ignored in his previous ones, i.e. the JFK assassination. And it wouldn't be enough anymore to say he thinks Oswald did it as he told his buddy Larry King several years ago. So now Hunt suggests that LBJ did it, and further suggests that LBJ had help from William Harvey. These are real scoops. These two dead men have been suspects now for only a few decades. What would be nice to have is evidence and not the same old could-have-been-them.

Hunt could hardly get yet another memoir published without covering what was ignored in his previous ones, i.e. the JFK assassination. And it wouldn't be enough anymore to say he thinks Oswald did it as he told his buddy Larry King several years ago. So now Hunt suggests that LBJ did it, and further suggests that LBJ had help from William Harvey. These are real scoops. These two dead men have been suspects now for only a few decades. What would be nice to have is evidence and not the same old could-have-been-them.

Exactly, much as Whitten turned things up a notch by indicating Angleton had connections to gamblers, Hunt may turn things up a notch by citing a connection between Harvey and Johnson. If he just says "coulda" then he's just selling books. If he says that he and Phillips discussed it, and concluded that perhaps Harvey turned the whole ZR/Rifle thing on Kennedy, then we're getting somewhere. If Phillips concluded that an intelligence agent was on the inside of the assassination, and Hunt has concluded the same thing, and they both suspected the same man, it is significant and worthy of our attention.

Unfortunately, I suspect Hunt will leave any discussions he had with Phillips and Angleton re the assassination out of his book, and just throw us a "coulda".

While anything Hunt says is immediately suspect, he could actually be telling us something. Are there any indications Harvey knew Johnson? They both hated RFK, that's for sure. Maybe Hoover introduced them. They both had friendships and/or connections to Marcello, Rosselli, etc. Harvey was in Rome at the time of the shooting, was he not? Might he not have had a few meetings with a few Corsicans by the Colosseum? Might he not have had a talk with Lansdale, Phillips, Morales, etc. and asked them to make it look like a Cuban thing? Hmmm.

Sorry to keep harping on this but LBJ was nothing more than a country bumpkin, hayseed stooge, who was easily manipulated by those who kept him doing their bidding, with promises of keeping him secure in his Senate Majority post, replete with all the prestige someone born of his caliber was only likely to be able to attain in his lifetime.

I still say this video covers it all. It's long, but worth the viewing.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...ntary&hl=en