The Education Forum

Dark Journalist interview of me on Watergate and JFK Assassination

Intersting point that the cia was working to subvbert the FSLN at that level in early 1970's. When did they start this? Can you name particulat FSLN leaders that were to be targeted?

John: No, I cannot name any specific Sandinista leader that would have been targeted. CIA Legal Counsel Lawrence Houston in April 1972 made the pitch, with Howard Hunt's concurrence, that I should consider becoming a CIA agent and that if I were to agree to this, my assignment would be to construct and open a luxurious seaside hotel in Nicaragua to which the Sandinista leaders would be lured and compromised. The pitch was in general terms with no names provided. I knew that this was something in which I did not want to get involved but responded to Houston and Hunt that I would think about it. Less than two months later, Watergate broke and the pitch became moot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandinista_National_Liberation_Front

It appears there were a series of attempts to "draw you in". First the "join the CIA", to build a hotel in Nicaragua for the CIA, to act on behalf of the burglars, to pass on hush money to the burglars... Were these connected as they might seem to be? The persons making these approaches were from right at the top of the CIA.(?) How would you characterise these approaches.? What were the inducements?

AFA the hotel business. I assume that was not shelved and someone else went ahead. Ever hear anything about that? Does the name Bruce Jones or Hull, soldiers of fortune, or persons(infiltrators) of the SDS in relation to drugs/arms/contra or jfk mean anything?

John: The pitch to get me to become a CIA agent was not connected to the attempt to get me to pass "hush" money to the Watergate defendants. The job pitch in April 1972 was made by CIA Legal Counsel Lawrence Houston and seconded by Howard Hunt. When Watergate broke two months later, that was the end of that matter.

John Dean was behind the attempt to get me pass the "hush" money to the defendants. He was in the words of the FBI's 1974 internal report on Watergate the "master manipulator" of the cover-up. He knew me because I had been assigned to do volunteer legal work for the campaign under his direction starting two months before Watergate broke. Unless there is evidence of which I am at the present time unaware of that Dean had a connection to the CIA, the two approaches to me were unrelated.

As far as there being "inducements", there was nothing in these two transactions that could be so construed.

I never heard anything more about the idea of the construction of a luxurious hotel on the Nicaragua seashore. I do not know if it was ever built.

I have never heard of Bruce Jones or someone named Hull and am unaware of infiltrators into SDS.

Thank you Douglas. Lots to ponder.

The interview made me re watch All the Presidents Men. With the background you provide it's a bit like watching a whole different movie from what I remember. Interesting.

Here are a couple of snapshots (at watergate and in the washington post, both with pics of JFK in the background.)

hist4_zpsgmitbch8.jpeg

Interesting that Judge Sirica's actions in accusing Doug Caddy in open court of being a principal in the burglary, and then jailing Caddy, threw up concerns that the government's case against the Watergate burglars would be tainted at the earliest.

Interesting that Caddy - not a criminal attorney - would be immediately chosen advocate by Hunt, based on minimal association with Hunt and no previous involvement in criminal cases with Hunt, the burglars, or the White House.

All a mechanism to kill the case in its first weeks? Admittedly, it could have gone either way, depending on whether Caddy would be compelled to admit his contacts with John Dean.

Doug, do you feel that the hush money proposal was leaked to the prosecutor and to Sirica?

Edited by David Andrews

• 1 month later...

David:

First an apology for being so tardy in replying to your query.

From my reading of the Oval Office tapes it is obvious that John Dean was masterminding the cover-up and that Nixon, Haldeman and Ehrlichman were not aware that Dean had his own conflicting personal agenda. It was not until almost a year later before they woke up to Dean's scheming. Dean, working through Henry Petersen, the Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal Division in the U.S. Department of Justice, took steps to assure that on July 19, 1972, any testimony by me before the grand jury about being approached with the hush money would cut off, which is what happened. My guess is that the Silbert, Campbell and Glanzer were directed by Petersen acting upon Dean's orders to make certain my testimony that day would deal only with the 38 questions that I had refused to answer based on the attorney-client privilege, none of which dealt with the hush money. However, I did manage to start testimony about the mysterious phone calls I had received before Glanzer cut me off. I got that much into the record. I do not think that these three prosecutors or Sirica were aware of my being approached with the hush money that I turned down on July 6th.

That said, I do believe that my home and office phone was wiretapped soon after I appeared at the arraignment of the five arrest defendants on June 17, 1972. Thus, the phone calls to me from Anthony Ulasewicz from July 2-6 that dealt with the hush money were known immediately by certain parties unfriendly to Nixon. Foremost among these was Washington, D.C. Police Detective Carl Shoffler who was actually a military intelligence agent trained on eavesdropping and wiretapping by the NSA. Schoffler and his military intelligence principals wanted to bring Nixon down. Thus, it was only a question of time as to when the hush money scandal would be leaked by them that would disclose I turned down the hush money but that Hunt's new attorney, William Bittman, a former Justice Department prosecutor, accepted the money. James McCord's letter to Sirica not long after he was convicted exposed the hush money, thus saving Shoffler and his military intelligence principals from doing so at a later date chosen by them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXA2T23yoFU&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Douglas Caddy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this interview, Douglas. Very interesting to say the least.

I'm sure you've wondered across the years whether Hunt -- the author of some 50 pulp thrillers -- was pulling your leg with those parting three words, "The alien presence." Seeing your hunger for the whole inside truth, perhaps exasperated that you raised the question again while shaking hands on the street, I can imagine he might have gotten a kick out of giving this lawyer, for dessert as it were, the tastiest truth-turd imaginable.

On a scale of ten (ten the most certain), how certain do you feel that he was telling a truth?

Douglas, I did enjoy listening to this a few months back and did take William's question up with the dark journalist guy. In reading the responses to the interview, it did seem that "alien presence" disclosure was the pearl of the interview to his listeners, and a great source of validation for them.

My purpose is not to get into the topic of aliens, but when you asked Hunt why he broke into the Democratic National Committee headquarters and after some diversions he tells you it was to search for their knowledge of an "alien presence". Wouldn't that be the most period perfect, stunning, dead-in- your-tracks, no more questions, disclosure that a pathological xxxx like Hunt could make?

Thanks for this interview, Douglas. Very interesting to say the least.

I'm sure you've wondered across the years whether Hunt -- the author of some 50 pulp thrillers -- was pulling your leg with those parting three words, "The alien presence." Seeing your hunger for the whole inside truth, perhaps exasperated that you raised the question again while shaking hands on the street, I can imagine he might have gotten a kick out of giving this lawyer, for dessert as it were, the tastiest truth-turd imaginable.

On a scale of ten (ten the most certain), how certain do you feel that he was telling a truth?

William: I would say a ten.

Kirk: I response to your question above, I wrote at the end of my Memoir on Watergate:

President Nixon’s cosmic downfall because of Watergate was, in my opinion, blowback or what goes around, comes around, or perhaps a morphed form of Karma. This was because the principal purposes of the burglars going into the Democratic headquarters, in addition to getting lists of the clients of both the female and male prostitution rings thought to be there and to plant a new wiretap bug, was also to copy secret Cuban government intelligence reports suspected to be there. The documents linked through a chain of events a decision by Vice President Nixon in 1960 to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy three years later. It was about that “Bay of Pigs” thing. Possible possession of the reports by the Democrats, which included additional intelligence as to persons involved in JFK’s assassination, if released publicly during the 1972 presidential campaign, posed a serious threat to Nixon’s reelection but an even far more serious one to the CIA for its role in the assassination.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=21500

Edited by Douglas Caddy

Douglas, I did enjoy listening to this a few months back and did take William's question up with the dark journalist guy. In reading the responses to the interview, it did seem that "alien presence" disclosure was the pearl of the interview to his listeners, and a great source of validation for them.

My purpose is not to get into the topic of aliens, but when you asked Hunt why he broke into the Democratic National Committee headquarters and after some diversions he tells you it was to search for their knowledge of an "alien presence". Wouldn't that be the most period perfect, stunning, dead-in- your-tracks, no more questions, disclosure that a pathological xxxx like Hunt could make?

Mr Gallaway -- Note that Hunt's response "The alien presence" was to DC's question about why Kennedy was killed (not a question about Watergate). That is: Hunt first replied that JFK was killed because he intended to give "our most vital secret" to Moscow. DC then asked what that secret was. And Hunt replied with those final three words.