The Education Forum

Mary Pinchot Meyer

Guest Tom Scully

Michael, since Janney is your admired source, why were you posting as if you were challenging my posting of a point he had made about Roundtree's suspicions of William L. Mitchell's role, at all? Why didn't you simply react to the point of my post, sharing the details of William L. Mitchell's background which are a perfect fit for the "missing" former witness as Janney described him, right down to his 1965 address at 1500 Arlington Blvd.?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The journalist, Zalin Grant, interviewed Dovey Roundtree on November 3, 1993. She told him that she thought that there was something in the Meyer case she could never get at. “I felt I was against a big force of the government.” She believed it led to the CIA.

Only a day or two after Crump was arrested, the Washington Post had editorialized about the case in a strange and most unprofessional way. As the Post saw it, there was no question about it: Ray Crump was the killer.

Dovey called the Post and asked if they had information about Crump’s guilt that wasn’t available to her. The Post said no, they had nothing that wasn’t generally known to the police.

She heard that Ben Bradlee, the Washington Newsweek Bureau chief, was also trumpeting his belief that Crump was the killer and that it was an open and shut case.

http://www.pythiapress.com/wartales/Meyer.html

In response to an earlier post by Christopher Hall, I would respectfully disagree that turning on a president or other powerful DC insiders to LSD indicated a flawed character. Even before I read the two books on Mary Pinchot I thought that someone had turned JFK on to a different view of the world than the one he grew up with. I used to think it was Ms Monroe, a liberal and a politically aware individual. But Mary Pinchot is a more likely choice. Her background shows her to be a free thinker and an intellectual and an idealist. Others have suspected Leary's 1983 bio of embellishing the truth, or even making something up for publicity purposes. For me it has the ring of truth. As for LSD's transformative power given the right set and setting, I have no doubts.

Guest Tom Scully

The journalist, Zalin Grant, interviewed Dovey Roundtree on November 3, 1993. She told him that she thought that there was something in the Meyer case she could never get at. “I felt I was against a big force of the government.” She believed it led to the CIA.

Only a day or two after Crump was arrested, the Washington Post had editorialized about the case in a strange and most unprofessional way. As the Post saw it, there was no question about it: Ray Crump was the killer.

Dovey called the Post and asked if they had information about Crump’s guilt that wasn’t available to her. The Post said no, they had nothing that wasn’t generally known to the police.

She heard that Ben Bradlee, the Washington Newsweek Bureau chief, was also trumpeting his belief that Crump was the killer and that it was an open and shut case.

http://www.pythiapre...ales/Meyer.html

The editorial seems not strange and unprofessional. It seems a typical law and order rant of its time and place, especially given the circumstances.:

Washington Post Editorial Page, 14 October 1964

TowpathEditorialOct1464WapoC.jpg

If you still believe the editorial to be prejudicial against the accused, consider that the WaPo did not command the judge

and jury and that the following happened in contemporary times.:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/30/bradley-manning-liberty-lost-america

....The repressive treatment of Bradley Manning is one of the disgraces of Obama's first term, and highlights many of the dynamics shaping his presidency. The president not only defended Manning's treatment but also, as commander-in-chief of the court martial judges, improperly decreed Manning's guilt when he asserted in an interview that he "broke the law".

John, perhaps you missed this. :

http://www.pythiapress.com/wartales/Meyer.html

By Zalin Grant

.....Dovey had her doubts after seeing him. He didn’t appear to have the proclivities for such an act and didn’t even look capable of dragging a woman who was nearly as big as he was anywhere.

Her doubts were reinforced when she discovered that the prosecutors had skipped the usual preliminary hearing and rushed him to the grand jury and on to trial.

“If I hadn’t been interested in taking his case,” she said, “that got me interested. At the preliminary hearing I would have been able to ask questions, to bring out matters that might have caused the judge stop and consider the circumstances under which he was arrested.”

She was tough in questioning Crump about what he had been doing on the towpath. He told police he had been fishing and had fallen in the water. But he didn’t want to tell her what he had really been doing and she had to pull it out of him.

He had missed the truck that would take him to his morning construction job, he told her finally, and he decided to stop by the home of a girlfriend to see if she was interested in doing something.

The girl had a car and they bought a six-pack of beer and a small bottle of gin and drove to the park, where they had sex. That had happened before, same girl, same place. He drank so much that he fell asleep and the girl took her car and went home and left to him to get back by trolley.

Dovey knew this might make a good alibi if she could find the girl. But she also knew it would squeeze the soul of his poor mother if this came out at trial. When Ray told her he didn’t want to involve the girl she decided not to push it further. .....

.....I got a copy of the trial transcript and studied it closely. I talked to various people involved in the case, and walked the towpath where she was killed. I followed the police investigation and collected documents.

Then on November 3, 1993 I had a long interview with Dovey Roundtree at her Washington office, although I decided not to write my article at that time......

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=19058&st=135#entry258699

Nina Burleigh interviewed Dovey Roundtree in 1996. Screenshot:

http://img28.imagesh...329/jfk121b.jpg

And this is what Roundtree told author/journalist Nina Burleigh:

..."Roundtree was never able to find the woman!"...

Screenshot of Burleigh's book:

http://img862.images...328/jfk121c.jpg

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=19058&st=135#entry258700

Quote: Why did ms. Roundtree state in her 1993 interview that she (through her client Crump) knew about Vivian's identity, she actually talked with her by phone in her 2009 book, while in her 1996 interview with Nina Burleigh she stated that she was never able to find her?!

This must be some kind of spinning, meant to create confusion about this whole story of "Ray Crump on the towpath"... In her book Roundtree explained they had a hard time finding Vivian, for she had picked-up Crump somewhere on the corner of a street, while in the interview of 1993 she stated that Crump had picked her up at her home. This was not for the first time, Crump was obviously aware of her address...

"Justice Older Than the Law: The Life of Dovey Johnson Roundtree"

By Katie McCabe, Dovey Johnson Roundtree Page 195

jfk121c.jpg

......Peter Janney confirms in his new book "Mary's Mosaic" that indeed Dovey Roundtree was able to locate and even talk to Crump's girlfriend Vivian. Roundtree told about Vivian during her 1992 interview with Leo Damore. (Mary's Mosaic, p. 95.)

Although Peter Janney, Leo Damore, Nina Burleigh and Katie McCabe (author of Roundtree's autobiography) have been frequently in contact with each other related to their Mary Meyer research, none of them seemed to have the need to address this inconsistency regarding Vivian. That's really weird, for the interests are clearly there: Vivian's information is crucial for the analysis of Crump's whereabouts on the towpath that day.

Peter Janney simply ignores the fact that Roundtree told Burleigh that she was never able to locate Vivian.

There is a pattern of this kind of spinning around Crump's activities on the towpath, in which lawyer Dovey Roundtree is definately involved. On page 94 of "Mary's Mosaic" Peter Janney states that Roundtree told Damore in 1990 that Crump knew about the location at the edge of the Potomac where Vivian and he went to. After falling into the river, Crump tried to "find his way out of the dang place." Next comes this quote:

Quote: He wasn't familar with that area at all. And he sort of roamed around. And then he heard something like an explosion.

That's quite a contradiction by Roundtree: was or wasn't Crump familiar with the area? According to most sources he was, for he went sometimes fishing there.

Furthermore, Roundtree entirely avoids the issue of Crump's jacket and cap which were found in the river later on. Much more come on those items, for they are pivotal in Janney's murder scenario; why would Crump have thrown his jacket and cap in the river when he tried to get out of the area?

However, much more suspicious is Roundtree's claim during her 1990 interview with Leo Damore that Crump actually heard "something like an explosion." "Like the backfire of a car," said Crump, according to Roundtree.

This statement has one direct consequence for Crump's whereabouts on the towpath: he was already awake well before the shots were fired! This statement by Roundtree implies that the 2 shots [if any...] didn't wake up Crump:

Crump was already roaming around in the area to find a way out before the shots were fired...

Once again, Peter Janney basically ignores this fact. That's suspicious to say the least, for this "roaming around in the area" by Crump turns out to be crucial within the scenario "Mitchell shot Mary", promoted by Janney himself. See the coming posts.

And now back to Dovey Roundtree, her 2009 autobiography "Justice Older Than The Law," page 192:.......

No one posting as if Roundtree is an impartial authority, rather than a retired criminal defense attorney with a vested interest in

forever defending her one time murder trial client who has a demonstrable record of contradicting her own key points, has addressed any of the above, yet Roundtree continues to be "trotted out." Maybe it is time to actually debate the contradictions above, or.....stand down? BTW, Peter Janney no longer seems to be so sure that Leo Damore met Mary Meyer's CIA assassin.

• 8 months later...

44 Years Later, a Washington, D.C. Death Unresolved

Mary Pinchot Meyer's death remains a mystery. But it's her life that holds more interest now

By Lance Morrow

Smithsonian magazine, December 2008

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Presence-of-Mind-Mary-Pinchot-Meyer-200812.html?c=y&story=fullstory