The Education Forum

Harold 'Hal' Feeney

Feeney scored a mention in the 'David Morales - Curiosities' thread but I think he deserves his own.

Feeney was an Intel officer at Guantamamo when Morales summoned Jack Modesett to a meeting to discuss more aggressive action toward Cuba.

Not long after that, Feeney is transferred out of Guantanamo and his status becomes somewhat elusive.

Feeney had a history of contract assignments with the State Department and had personal contacts at the Universidad Nacional de Mexico. Feeney was also in communication with Julio Garceran who in turn worked closely with Frank Sturgis and Felipe Vidal Santiago. Operation Cobra was discussed which involved U.S. military aircraft operating out of Guatemala and their bombing of strategic Cuban targets.

Feeney was also well acquainted with members of the Cuban anti-Castro community and was responsible for several strange meetings with exile leaders. Jose Miro Cardona being one in particular.

At the time of the assassination, Feeney was Nestor 'Tony' Izquierdo's case officer.

FWIW.

Hal Feeney below.

James

Hello James - all of which is particularly interesting if indeed Nestor Izqueirdo operated in the capacity as spotter in the DalTex, as per GPH and Tim Gratz. I wonder if Mr. Feeney would be kind enough to provide an ID on the individual seen strolling across the grass in Dealey Plaza - with the individual whom closely resembles his supposedly good friend Rip Robertson? If he knows Nestor, perhaps he can ID the other individual that is also perhaps another dark skinned Cuban.

- lee

Perhaps it is fatigue or just plain tired eyes...

When I looked at the picture of Hal Feeney, the first thing I thought was, "Maurice Bishop."

Funny you should mention that, Frank.

I believe Maurice Bishop was one of those generic names used by several people including David Phillips and Gordon Campbell. I also think Feeney may have as well. He is alive and living in Corpus Christi.

The connection to Izquierdo is a very interesting one indeed and I am starting to make some headway in that direction.

Hopefully more soon.

Cheers,

James

• 3 months later...

When I looked at the picture of Hal Feeney, the first thing I thought was, "Maurice Bishop."

I believe Maurice Bishop was one of those generic names used by several people including David Phillips and Gordon Campbell. I also think Feeney may have as well. He is alive and living in Corpus Christi.

The connection to Izquierdo is a very interesting one indeed and I am starting to make some headway in that direction.

Hopefully more soon.

Cheers,

James

Hi James,

How's it coming?

Thanks,

--Thomas

Here is a Dispatch which mentions Feeney......

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...bsPageId=407622

It states.....

104-10163-10235 (03-Apr-1962): OPERATIONAL 1/GYROSE/KUDESK POSSIBLE USE OF FPO FOR SHIPMENT OF WEAPONS TO GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL FACILITY pg 3

Found in: HSCA Segregated CIA Collection (microfilm)

To: Chief of Task Force W

Subject

"Operational 1/GYROSE/KUDESK POSSIBLE USE OF FPO FOR SHIPMENT

OF WEAPONS TO GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL FACILITY."

Action Required FYI

Reference UFGA-3608

1. The attached memorandum is forwarded for Headquarters information and whatever action may be deemed necessary.

2. It is recalled that Lt. (.ig) Jack Modesset of this memorandum, and Commander Hal Feeney of ON! at Guantanamo, have in the past loaned considerable assistance to counter-revolutionary groups operating on the base and in the general area around the base. Feeney has since been transferred from Guantanamo.

3. In the past such equipment as is being requested in the letter has been procurable on the base, however, policy changes might have put an end to this. It would seem that Luis BALBUENA could be using a commo channel set up for communications previously, to request arms no longer available at the base, probably without consent of Lt. (.ig) Jack Modesset, whose career could be placed in jeopardy by such actions.

END OF DISPATCH

Thanks for that, Robert.

Thomas, things have progressed very nicely although information is not contained within documents. I believe there is a road to Dallas which includes, David Morales, Rip Robertson, Hal Feeney, Felipe Vidal Santiago and Tony Izquierdo.

The image below shows Hal Feeney circa mid 1980's. The two boys are Tony Izquierdo's twin sons.

James

[...] Thomas, things have progressed very nicely although information is not contained within documents. I believe there is a road to Dallas which includes, David Morales, Rip Robertson, Hal Feeney, Felipe Vidal Santiago and Tony Izquierdo. [...]

James

James,

(Deleted)

Thanks,

--Thomas :tomatoes

Edited by Thomas Graves

I believe Maurice Bishop was one of those generic names used by several people including David Phillips and Gordon Campbell... ....Hopefully more soon. Cheers,

James

James,

While the Feeney photo does look like the HSCA "Maurice Bishop" sketch, and Bradley E. Ayers also suspects Gordon Campbell as being "Bishop," the details supplied by Vechina that puts "Maurice Bishop" in ten to twelve places at times when David Atlee Phillips was assigned to those places certainly puts a glove on DAPhillips that would also have to fit the career paths of Campbell and Feeney, if in fact they were the man.

To me, Feeney looks more like David A. Phillips' brother.

BK

I believe Maurice Bishop was one of those generic names used by several people including David Phillips and Gordon Campbell... ....Hopefully more soon. Cheers,

James

James,

While the Feeney photo does look like the HSCA "Maurice Bishop" sketch, and Bradley E. Ayers also suspects Gordon Campbell as being "Bishop," the details supplied by Vechina that puts "Maurice Bishop" in ten to twelve places at times when David Atlee Phillips was assigned to those places certainly puts a glove on DAPhillips that would also have to fit the career paths of Campbell and Feeney, if in fact they were the man.

BK

Bill,

Feeney is a strange bird to say the least. I tried to contact him some time back and soon wished I hadn't. :lol:

I agree that Phillips was indeed Bishop. I also think the following men used that name.

Gordon Campbell

Hal Feeney

J. Walton Moore

David Phillips

FWIW.

James

James

James,

BK

Bill,

Feeney is a strange bird to say the least. I tried to contact him some time back and soon wished I hadn't. :lol:

I agree that Phillips was indeed Bishop. I also think the following men used that name.

Gordon Campbell

Hal Feeney

J. Walton Moore

David Phillips

FWIW.

James

That's incredible James. Something to record and remember. Did Moore also resemble the infamous Bishop sketch at all?

Dallas CIA man J.Walton Moore first mentioned Lee Oswald to deMohrenschildt in 1961, before Oswald returned to the U.S. In 1962, an associate of Moore gave deMohrenschildt Oswald's address, and suggested contact. After double-checking with Moore and sources in the FBI, deMohrenschildt approached Oswald. His contacts, which resulted in a series of debriefing reports to the CIA, covered a period when the government had no official contact with Oswald. He encouraged Oswald "to write a detailed memoir," received the manuscript in October 1962, and allowed Moore to copy it.

-lee

That's incredible James. Something to record and remember. Did Moore also resemble the infamous Bishop sketch at all? (Lee Forman)

Hi Lee,

I don't have a photograph of Moore to compare but apparently he does.

The HSCA were also interested in Moore as being Bishop. They even hired a private investigator to surrepticiously take Moore's photograph. An image was indeed snapped as Moore and his daughter left his residence.

The investigator was Paul McCaghren who at one time had also been Deputy Chief of the DPD.

McCaghren then went on to say that he was concerned because if Moore's image was widely published then it may ruin his career and reputation, especially if the allegations of him being seen with Oswald or that he was involved with a plot to kill JFK have no substantial factual base.

The image of Moore might be in the records of the HSCA.

James

That's incredible James. Something to record and remember. Did Moore also resemble the infamous Bishop sketch at all? (Lee Forman)

Hi Lee,

I don't have a photograph of Moore to compare but apparently he does.

The HSCA were also interested in Moore as being Bishop. They even hired a private investigator to surrepticiously take Moore's photograph. An image was indeed snapped as Moore and his daughter left his residence.

The investigator was Paul McCaghren who at one time had also been Deputy Chief of the DPD.

McCaghren then went on to say that he was concerned because if Moore's image was widely published then it may ruin his career and reputation, especially if the allegations of him being seen with Oswald or that he was involved with a plot to kill JFK have no substantial factual base.

The image of Moore might be in the records of the HSCA.

James

Hmmm...

AGENCY : CIA

RECORD NUMBER : 104-10124-10216

RECORDS SERIES : JFK

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 80T01357A

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

ORIGINATOR : CIA

TITLE : PHOTOS OF J. WALTON MOORE DATED 1949, 1963, AND 1971,

COPIES FURNISHED TO HSCA 7/4/78.

DATE : 01/01/0000

PAGES : 6

DOCUMENT TYPE : PAPER - TEXTUAL DOCUMENT

SUBJECTS : HSCA; MOORE, J. WALTO

CLASSIFICATION : UNCLASSIFIED

RESTRICTIONS : OPEN IN FULL

CURRENT STATUS : OPEN

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 04/20/1994

COMMENTS : JFK44 : F20 : 1994.04.20.11:12:15:810007 :

• 4 years later...

Here is some more background on Feeney:

COMMANDER HAROLD FEENEY:

Great friend of the Cuban

Commander Harold Feeney, U.S. Navy (ret.) served in the Intelligence Service of the Navy, sometimes serving the CIA and DIA (Defense Intelligence Agency), where he was Head of Cuba during the "missile crisis" in Cuba (1962). He was Chief of Intelligence of the Guantanamo Naval Base.

He served as a U.S. Navy Intelligence Officer in several countries in Europe and Latin America. He was Naval Attaché at the American Embassy in Paris and ten years later Chief of Intelligence Plans SHAPE (Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe (NATO) in Paris.

He served in the Intelligence Department of the Army during World War II. He was then professor of languages at the University of Pennsylvania and University of Southern California. In 1949-50 he worked for the State Department in Ecuador as Director of the Ecuadorian-American Cultural Relations.

Feeney Commander speaks eight languages (including Mandarin Chinese). A member of the Veterans Association of Special Missions and Honorary Member of the Assault Brigade 2506.

Pigs Journal

Official Publication of the Association of Combatants of the Bay of Pigs

Brigade 2506

Feeney and Dr. Miro

CRC document

Operation Cobra, Plan to overthrow Castro

Operation Cobra II

Operation Cobra III

--Zach

From Organización Auténtica, Brigada 2506

Castro Develops Deadly Biological Weapons

These days a small country led by a malevolent dictator dog do a lot of damage. Aided by Both Russia and Communist China, Fidel Castro is sophisticated biological Developing Weapons on a large scale and using communications technology for espionage and Interference with U.S. Air Traffic Control.

Mass killing possesses no moral problem for Castro. Let Us Not Forget That beginning in 1962 Soviet Khrushchev to fire nuclear missiles based in Cuba at the United States. Such an irresponsible act wiped out Could Have Vast Populations in U.S. metropolitan areas. Our response to the attack Also Would Have Devastated the Cuban people. He has over 10.000 Executed Dissidents and Hundreds of Thousands Have languished in historical 130 Political Prisons under cruel conditions. But Castro's ego is larger events Perhaps Than That of Saddam Hussein. I Would Not Mind going down "in a blaze of glory" Taking millions with him, to Be Remembered in history as a "fearless leader."

Not much information has been released by the U.S. Government regarding Castro's production of biological Weapons 90 miles From Our Shores "Perhaps so as Not to interfere with the current Administration's proffers to Castro of good relationships.

However, in May 1998 Secretary of Defense William Cohen in Congress Testifier That Cuba possessed advanced biotechnology and is capable of mass-producing agents for biological warfare.

Former Deputy Chief of the ex-Soviet Union's biological warfare program. Colonel Ken Alibek, Revealed That recently to the CIA, concealed in Cuba's medical research complex, Castro is Carrying out a sophisticated program for high-capacity production of germ warfare agents During The Last Few Years. Dr. Alibek tells us That Castro's program started in 1981 when to Former Soviet Premier Brezhnev visited Cuba and Castro Promised to help with the technology.

With Respect to electronic espionage, Castro's capability, with current Aid from Communist China, has made great Advances. Maintains still Russia, and recently upgraded to Remarkable electronic listening post in Cuba near the town of Lourdes. Castro pays Russia $ 200 million per year for the facility is capable of That eavesdropping on telephone calls in Washington, DC

Let us Consider this: Almost Every country, Including the U.S., Carries out espionage on Some Current or Potential enemies or for economic information. What is hard to swallow Is The Fact That We Are and Our Allies viable financially aiding Russia, while They, in turn, spend $ 200 million per year to spy on us from inside Cuba!

The Chinese Have Also ESTABLISHED for Themselves a sophisticated network of electronic espionage in Cuba to be Used Against the U.S. The bases Are Operating under the cover of Radio China short wave transmissions to Latin America and the U.S. Are Their main bases at Bejucal and near Havana. THEY ARE capable of interfering with U.S. air traffic control, According To the FCC. On the 13th of May at 4:48 pm, the Chinese sat a communication to the air traffic control in New York, Falsely Identifying Themselves as OPEC21 to U.S. Military C130 plane. This is a Dangerous Game!

We Need to keep a close eye on Castro's Cuba. It Would Be Difficult to Prevent a tragedy Such As Our historical sneaking across porous border with small container of germs to put in a city reservoir to kill off Hundreds of Thousands of Citizens.

The Above Described Activities Have Not Been Reported That by Any major newspaper this writer knows of. The Nuevo Herald sources Have Disclosed personal and the gravity of the situation.

Recently the FBI agents arrested 12 Castro caught spying in the United States, Including Military Installations. Since Castro has no military Need For real data, it is likely remove That He is selling That type of information to the Chinese or Perhaps Saddam Hussein.

For Those Who Think That Our Castro sweetly treating him will change Into a freedom-loving democrat, a Recent speech by the dictator Declared That Communism is still the best system for Cuba, That It Would Never Change, And That Were Not NECESSARY elections.

It is of course a noble idea to help people everywhere Against oppression. Rather But it seems strange to go half-way around the world and spend billions of dollars to help the Yugoslav province and Completely ignore the people of Cuba Neighboring Who Suffer from Lack of freedom under an oppressive and cruel dictator.

God help the Cuban people and help us to Keep Our eyes open and deal with the real world.

END

Hal Feeney

Hal Feeney, a retired intelligence officer, Participate in the Bay of Pigs operation and chaired the Naval Intelligence's Cuban branch During The Cuban missile crisis. In 1994, He Was Awarded the Medal of Valor by the Cuban exile Assault Brigade 2506 in Miami for missions I made inside Cuba after the Bay of Pigs invasion. He lives in Corpus Christi)

Pigs Journal

Official Publication of the Association of Combatants of Bahia de Cochinos

Brigade 2506

and

Moral Obligations

Because of the Bay of Pigs betrayal, this country has a moral obligation to help free Cuba of Fidel Castro Itself.

Hal Feeney (Cmdr., U.S. Navy, Ret.) Served in Naval Intelligence, Including participation in the Bay of Pigs operation. He lives in Corpus Christi and Continue to serve as an adviser to an agency of the U.S. Government.

The beginning of the end for Castro Is Now Taking Place. It is time to yank historical chain, or see His people face Another 12 years or so of His cruel Dictatorship.

There is a clamor in the media for the United States to help get rid of Fidel Castro's Communist Government by lifting the embargo. Many believe it Would cause Castro to change Give His Ways and democracy and a free-market system to historical people.

First, the embargo Castro Which wrongly calls a "Blockade" does not exclude medicine or Humanitarian Aid.

Neither does it from Cuba BUYING Prevent food from country clubs Such as Mexico, Canada and European Countries with Which it has Diplomatic and trade relations.

Simply Cuba not does have money to pay for it. Moreover, the island is a very rich agricultural country and it is only the Communist system grossly That encumbers Ineffective agricultural production and distribution to STIs More Than 10 million people. THEY ARE uncomfortable, But Not like people starving in Somalia.

That Those Who predict a lifting of the embargo will hasten the downfall of Castro or cause him to change Into a Democratic Cuba Are Extremely naïve state.

Fidel Castro has an ego bigger Than That of Saddam Hussein. I have not is about to Admit That He Was Wrong about communism or to make a Voluntary exit.

Lifting the embargo in FACT Would Give him a chance to hang on to power while personal historical Manipulating the U.S. Government by making cosmetic, Rather Than Substantive changes.

Among my Cuban Friends Are Many Who Went to school with Fidel. One Was with Castro in the hills as a chief lieutenant in the Fight Against Batista. Those Who Know Castro laugh at the idea of making historical Democratic Change That Might Powers dictatorial historical lesson. They Say That in the present crisis is Castro Taking great pleasure in treating the U.S. Government like a yoyo, calling the shots as our new "Minister of Immigration." According To Them I've always Had a Pathological hatred for the United States.

Despite Clinton's bold statement the United States That Would Not Stand for Another Mariel Boat-lift, historical Subsequent actions passive responses Have Been Complicated That Have the problem and very Are Costly to the U.S. Taxpayer.

Our reaction to the Castro-engendered Refugee crises-the "slow motion Mariel"-is yet another example of U.S. foreign Almost Total Lack of contingency planning by the Clinton administration Which Gets Into Deep Water "playing it by ear."

The president has-been urged to make Political Contingency Plans for an Almost Certain military coup Against Castro and the Subsequent Struggle for power, Which Could eat at Any Time, Especially if we do Not Come to Castro's rescue by doing his bidding on the embargo issue. So far the Clinton White House Has Not Made Such contingency plans.

Even Though Clinton flatly Stated That the United States is only now Engaging in mid-level talks on Immigration Issues, Political Pressures Almost Certainly will lead him to waffle and expand the talks, Thus Giving in to Castro's agenda again.

Obviously Cuba is Not of the Same Strategic Importance to us as It Was During The Cold War, But It Is Certainly more so Than Haiti, Which Are we Apparently Preparing to invade.

Should Have No American soldier to set foot on Cuban soil to liberate it from STIs Communist dictator. Obviously That is a job for Cubans to do.

However, it behooves us to help Those Cubans inside and Outside the island in Every Way feasible, MOST Especially by Not interfering with Their Efforts to unseat Castro. For Those who feel reticent about That idea. An interesting Precedent Mexico in September 1959 by sheltering Fidel in Mexico and turning a blind eye to historical Preparations, Including the arming of historical group on board the boat Granms in Which I departed to begin the Struggle Against Batista.

It is ironic That We went halfway around the world, covertly, to help Afghanistan rid of a Communism Themselves Have Been harassing, arresting and jailing Cuban exiles Who try by boat. Clandestinely, to Provide supplies to the anti-Communist underground and the Dissidents in Cuba. We Should Make It Easier for Them, Provided They Do Not Engage in Terrorism.

The pressure is growing Cuban military Especially Among Officers Who are bitter about the wasted years fighting as Soviet surrogates in Africa and the Unjust execution of Their Most Popular Overall, Arnold Ochoa.

If We Can Be Supportive of the anti-Castro Cuban forces, the dictator May Be ouster by a military coup soon. We Should Not bolster Castro at a time when to historical and moral Political Stature Are at Their Weakest. It is time to yank historical chain, or see His people face Another 12 years or so of His cruel Dictatorship. We Should Participate in and support human rights and labor organizations worldwide Which Are protesting the overuse of Castro's regime.

The beginning of the end of Castro is now Taking place in Cuba. The Recent riot and demonstration in Havana Had two significant characteristics: It was the first open spontaneous demonstration by Cubans against the Castro Government and Castro's police Were Reluctant to fire on demonstrators or use Violence Against.

A Recent incident of insurrection reported by underground sources in Eastern Province in the half But Not Involved in general Castro Who Was Executed When the effort "failed.

In my view, We Have a moral obligation to the Cuban people for HAVING who betrayed those brave men, three decades ago tried to liberate their homeland at the Bay of Pigs. I feel a sense of national shame for that betrayal and the historical Consequences of failure to liberate Cuba in 1961 and Earlier because young president did not have the experience or gumption to follow through on U.S. Foreign Policy decision.

Must I confess That I May Be Somewhat subjective in the way I think about What Happens in Cuba. I hope my readers will indulge me for feeling a sense of brotherhood with patriots Those Who tried in 1961 to Achieve What is still the goal in Cuba today. FREEDOM!

END

Editor's Postscript: In April, Feeney was Awarded a medal for courage by the Assault Brigade 2506 Cuban exile in Miami for His heroics in saving Cuban Freedom Fighters at the Bay of Pigs)

Hal Feeney

PUBLIC FORUM

Corpus Christi Caller Times

September 4, 1994

Cubans trained at Fort Benning: from left to right, Reinaldo Torrente, Tomas Vasquez, Humberto Cortina, Dr. Rene Lamar, Noelia Montero Duque and Felipe Silva

brigadista.jpg

--Zach

Edited by Zach Robertson