The Education Forum

Gerda Dunckel's Synchronized Couch And Darnell Clips

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the Darnell clip, I've made some observations about Baker, Lovelady, Shelley, and the diminutive, dark-suited, hat-wearing Roy Truly (whom I think is visible in it).

(Moved here from another thread)

We have film of Baker entering the building, so there is nothing suspicious about that.

Actually we don't, J. Raymond. All we have is film of him or another motorcycle officer running towards the steps.

--Tommy :sun

Well if it is not Marion Baker shown in the Darnell film , then can you please name who it is?

J. Raymond,

Whoever it was (and I think it was Baker) he wasn't filmed actually running up the steps and entering the TSBD. Almost, but not quite. Unfortunately, Darnell started panning to the left at that point and "Baker" goes out of the frame.

Here's the pertinent, stabilized segment from the Darnell film:

BTW, isn't that diminutive, hat-and-dark-suit-wearing Roy Truly standing several feet in front of "Stetson Man"? He turns clockwise and watches "Baker" after the motorcycle policeman runs past him. No, I'm not talking about the big guy who turns and starts walking towards the TSBD to the right of "Stetson Man." The little, suit-and-hat-wearing guy I'm talking about is a little farther away, and to the left, directly in front of "Stetson Man." Isn't that little guy truly Roy Truly? Who is that big, lumbering, dumpy-looking guy on the right, anyway? He seems to be wearing a cap of some kind. Could that be the guy that Truly described as "a great big husky fellow," Jack Edwin Dougherty? If you look closely, you can see that these "Truly" and "Dougherty" figures seem to be communicating with each other, from a distance, at the beginning.

[Credit: Gerda Dunckel]

prayermandesh12fps100c4k1m.gif

I think the motorcycle cop in this clip probably did run up the steps because he's still running fast when he gets to them, and the tall, dark-suited man at the base of the steps side-steps out of his way and motions him up the steps with his left hand.

Question: Could that be Lovelady rising up from a kneeling or sitting position on the far left side of the steps, or is it a woman wearing a light-colored head scarf (which looks like a face) walking slowly up them?

I personally think that Lovelady and Shelley were "captured" in the same film and Couch's a few seconds earlier while walking down the Elm Street Extension, so IMHO that couldn't be Lovelady rising up on the steps.

When James Darnell's or Malcolm Couch's films are blown up and shown in super slow motion, I recognize the heads, hairlines, physiques, profiles, and clothing of L & S there on the Elm Street Extension sidewalk. Yes, I know that their testimony regarding their actions and the timing and Calvary and Truly and Baker is very problematic, but I still think it's Lovelady and Shelley walking down the Elm Street Extension sidewalk towards the railway yard.

I am willing to be persuaded, photographically speaking, otherwise.

Edited by Thomas Graves

It's kinda hard to find, so I thought I'd start a thread on it.

Great work by Gerda Dunckel:

http://www.abload.de/img/darnellcouchsync24fpsa6kkb.gif

Though this is not the "Three Tramps" moment, one of the figures ID'd as Lansdale seems to be crossing right-to-left in front of the traffic island bordering Elm Street.

I agree, David. I noticed a possible "Lansdale" figure in these separate clips some time ago but never mentioned it. The dark-suited guy I'm talking about is walking pretty fast down Elm Street, next to the right curb.

This montage is fantastic in helping us connect some dots, IMHO.

Edited by Thomas Graves

From my POV, it looks like Baker is going to run right past the steps.

Robert,

In another Dunckel image from the Darnell clip, you can see Baker's right leg and foot on the first step. I'll try to find it and post it here.

Edited by Thomas Graves

I would love to see that, Thomas.

Robert,

I looked for it for quite awhile, today, but to no avail. I know I saw it just yesterday and I'm pretty sure it was on a long thread started by Gerda Dunckel on jfkassassinationforum.net called "Couch Film / Lovelady and Shelley?"

http://www.jfkassassinationforum.com/index.php

It's a still from Darnell, actually, and it shows a man's leg sticking out and "hovering" over the first step, and the leg could only belong to Baker, whose body is hidden behind some other people who are just kind of standing there at the base of the steps.

I'll keep looking for it occasionally and I will post it when I find it.

It's kinda frustrating...

Edited by Thomas Graves

This may seem strange, but can anyone show me where the lamp post is in this footage? It's supposed to be by the highway 80 sign. But I can't see it.

I would love to see that, Thomas.

Robert,

I looked for it for quite awhile, today, but to no avail. I know I saw it just yesterday and I'm pretty sure it was on a long thread started by Gerda Dunckel on jfkassassinationforum.net called "Couch Film / Lovelady and Shelley?"

http://www.jfkassassinationforum.com/index.php

It's a still from Darnell, actually, and it shows a man's leg sticking out and "hovering" over the first step, and the leg could only belong to Baker, whose body is hidden behind some other people who are just kind of standing there at the base of the steps.

I'll keep looking for it occasionally and I will post it when I find it.

It's kinda frustrating...

Robert,

This is the best I can do for now. It's from page 10 of the thread I mentioned.

[Credit: Gerda Dunckel]

darnellcouchsync01qse3l.jpg

darnellcouchsync24fpsa6kkb.gif

PS Maybe I exaggerated a bit, but I doubt that Baker stopped on a dime here and said, "Naw, I don't think I'll go up these steps. I think I'll go inside the building through another door."

I could have sworn I saw a better "still."

Edited by Thomas Graves

From the perspective we are viewing the steps, would we be able to see that much of Baker's leg, if he were going up the stairs? I hate to say it but, it still looks as if he is running right past the stairs.

From the perspective we are viewing the steps, would we be able to see that much of Baker's leg, if he were going up the stairs? I hate to say it but, it still looks as if he is running right past the stairs.

On hold for more "analysis."

You might be right, Robert.

Meanwhile, for your viewing pleasure, a great stabilized, "slow mo" Darnell gif by Gerda Dunckel which shows Baker running between my big, turning "Jack Dougherty" and the dark-suited guy who sidesteps out of the way and motions Baker up the steps with his left hand. Baker runs behind that guy, not in front of him as I previously thought.

Darnell sequence. 94 frames, 6 frames per second, 5.9 MB

bakerdashlargecrop2dey5kdj.gif

So, it looks like you're correct, Robert.

Why would Baker veer and go to the right?

To go up the less-crowded middle or right part of the steps, perhaps?

Edited by Thomas Graves

It is a puzzle, Thomas. An even greater puzzle is that no witness on the steps saw Baker enter the TSBD.

Robert,

Maybe a better way to put it is that no witness on the steps said they remembered seeing Baker enter the TSBD.

Or no witness on the steps reported seeing Baker enter.

Question: Were any of the witnesses on the steps asked if they saw Baker enter the TSBD?

If not, would you expect them to volunteer it?

I think Baker veered to the right so he could go up the less-crowded middle or right part of the steps.

Why would he run such a long distance directly towards the front entrance if he didn't intend to enter it?

Edited by Thomas Graves