The Education Forum

J.D. Tippit's murder scene?

I was going through some photographs taken at the scene of Officer Tippit's murder and noticed that there was a clipboard, or something similar located on the front passenger's side dash.

The image below shows that object. I was wondering if anyone knows what exactly this is and could that be a photograph pinned to it?

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

James

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going through some photographs taken at the scene of Officer Tippit's murder and noticed that there was a clipboard, or something similar located on the front passenger's side dash.

The image below shows that object. I was wondering if anyone knows what exactly this is and could that be a photograph pinned to it?

James

James,

Fascinating photo! The image on the clipboard does look like a photo of a person, perhaps a mugshot? (BTW, it looks like the passenger's window is rolled all the way up, but hard to say for sure. What do you think? And where in the heck did you find this great photo?)

Thanks,

--Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

James

A viewer writes on Youtube:

"The Acquila Clemmons interview says it all. Two guy including Oswald were involved in killing Tippit. But Acquila says the other guy did the killing, not Oswald. She then states she was threated to keep her mouth shut about it and was never called to testify.

These two witnesses are describing two different guys. Im convinced that Malcom Wallace, a killer for LBJ, did the Book Depository shot with a Mouser rifle. His left little finger print was found there on cardboard. "

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GjiOolyy_0I

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your replies.

This image below is the uncropped version. I'm not sure what to make of it all but was hoping a forum member may know something about this. Not being familiar with DPD procedures, I can only guess.

Curious though.

James

I was going through some photographs taken at the scene of Officer Tippit's murder and noticed that there was a clipboard, or something similar located on the front passenger's side dash. ...
It is indeed a clipboard, at least according to W.E. Barnes, a DPD crime scene investigator since 1956, who testified to the WC about the Tippit murder scene. Among other things, he dusted the right door ledge of Tippit's car because he'd been told that the killer had leaned on the door (several "smear prints" were found, but "none of value"), and received empty .38-caliber shells from J.M. Poe.

Here he is interviewed by David Belin regarding this particular photograph, Barnes Deposition Exhibit A:

Q: ... Now I notice on the right-front door window it appears that the vent window was open and that the main window is closed. Is that the way that you found the car when you got there?

A: That is true.

Q: Inside the window there appears to be some kind of paper or document. Do you remember what that is at all, or not?

A:
That is a board, a
clipboard that is installed on the dash of all squad cars
for the officers to take notes on
and to keep their wanted persons

Q:
Were there any notes on there that you saw that had been made on this clipboard?

A:
Yes; we never read his clipboard.

Q: That is the way you saw the clipboard there?

A: That is the way it was.

Q:
It appears to be there is a picture of some man on the clipboard.
Did you notice whether or not there was any handwriting or any memorandum paper on the board?

A:
I couldn't tell you what was on the clipboard.

Q: Anything else about this particular picture, Barnes Deposition Exhibit A?

A: What?

Q: Anything that you can tell us about it that you think might be relevant?

A: Not that I know. (
)

In Barnes' defense, if not the crime scene search sections or DPD's, he was charged with gathering the evidence at the scene and not with evaluating it, at least insofar as the duties he describes are concerned. Belin did not ask what the disposition of the vehicle or any of its contents may have been, nor did the WC (to my knowledge) attempt to determine who took possession of any the materials in the car, who may have examined them, or what became of them.

The clipboard and its contents (again, to my knowedge) seems to have vanished into thin air, leaving the then-communications supervisor, a DPD sergeant, to respond to a researcher's 1990 question "There was a clipboard in Tippit's car. Do you know where it is?" in this curious manner:

Who said that Tippit had a clipboard?
There were no city issue clipboards
, and it was not all that common for an officer to have one.

Let's see: a clipboard "is installed on the dash of all squad cars," but "there were no city issue clipboards?" An interesting observation. (I guess, at least, the "who said" part has been resolved!!)

At the outset of Belin's interview with Barnes, Belin stated, "Sergeant Barnes, I am going to hand you some pictures which we will mark as 'Barnes Deposition Exhibits A, B, C, D, and E' on the deposition of Barnes, and I am going to ask you to state whether or not the original negatives from which these prints were made were taken by you?" to which Barnes responded in the affirmative. What is not clear is whether the WC had the actual negatives, or merely prints made from the negatives.

If the former, it should be possible for someone to get an original print from the negative, or at least a near-generation copy, such that they'd perhaps be able to magnify the area in question to gain some hint of what's there. If the former, it is possible that a similar item can be obtained through the Dallas City Secretary's office.

... Negative #016, Dallas Municipal Archives, according to Dale Myers.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that what appears to be a "mugshot" attached to the clipboard was, in fact, a metal clip which somehow attached the clipboard to the dashboard or Tippit's car. Can anyone else recall this - I know it has been discussed somewhere before, but I cannot remembe where.

Chris Scally

... Negative #016, Dallas Municipal Archives, according to Dale Myers.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that what appears to be a "mugshot" attached to the clipboard was, in fact, a metal clip which somehow attached the clipboard to the dashboard or Tippit's car. Can anyone else recall this - I know it has been discussed somewhere before, but I cannot remembe where.

Chris Scally

I knew I'd seen it somewhere - the mind hasn't gone totally, yet....

According to Dale Myers' Tippit Page [http://www.jdtippit.com/html/intro_faq.htm], the clipboard on Tippit's dashboard normally "held a spiral notebook which officers could use to write notes on." According to Myers, "An enlargement of the crime photo referred to by the Commission, however, reveals that the "photograph of a man" is actually the spring, metal clip clutching Tippit's open spiral notebook."

Chris Scally

I joined Detroit PD in 1969 and we had similar boards that contained a list of stolen cars and we could attach flyers on wanted folks. Additionally, many would attach a spring clip to hold mug shots of wanted people.

I've always been of the opinion that Tippit was murdered to encourage the cops to kill his killer as nothing angered cops more than to see one of their own slain and a dead Oswald in the Theater was have made everything "tidier".

Additionally, I've never been convinced by Oswalds involvement in this event.

Edited by Evan Marshall

... According to Myers, "An enlargement of the crime photo referred to by the Commission, however, reveals that the "photograph of a man" is actually the spring, metal clip clutching Tippit's open spiral notebook."
I can buy into that theory, but would like to see an original print rather than something made up of a bunch of little dots. Guess that means having to go through the Dallas Archives online and hoping to find it, then ordering a print. (sigh)

Chris Scally

Seems to me that the "mugshot" is way below the spring loaded clip, which can be seen at the top of the clipboard.

Chris Scally

Seems to me that the "mugshot" is way below the spring loaded clip, which can be seen at the top of the clipboard.

Besides, you wouldn't put a clip 1/3 of the way down from the top of the clipboard, would you ? In my experience with police depts., I've never seen a clipboard like that.

To me, that's a wanted poster.

Chris Scally

Besides, you wouldn't put a clip 1/3 of the way down from the top of the clipboard, would you ? In my experience with police depts., I've never seen a clipboard like that.

While it seems hopeless to see the face or any features. It seems to be a male figure wearing a hat. Oswald never wore a hat. [Of course it could have been 'other' DPD business, but I suspect it might well relate to who shot him - the TWO men]. Would also be interesting to ask other DPD men what similar wanted posters of photos they might have had that day. I believe the statement above about killing a policeman to anger other police is true, but the choice of Tippit I think 'killed two birds with one stone' - and there likely was specific reason to sacrifice him, rather than someone else....

Why can't we just believe Dale Myers?

BK

Chris Scally

While it seems hopeless to see the face or any features. It seems to be a male figure wearing a hat. Oswald never wore a hat. [Of course it could have been 'other' DPD business, but I suspect it might well relate to who shot him - the TWO men]. Would also be interesting to ask other DPD men what similar wanted posters of photos they might have had that day. I believe the statement above about killing a policeman to anger other police is true, but the choice of Tippit I think 'killed two birds with one stone' - and there likely was specific reason to sacrifice him, rather than someone else....

Why can't we just believe Dale Myers?

BK

Because he makes many errors of fact. Despite much good information presented,

both Myers and Trask (big, expensive SELF-PUBLISHED books) may be disinfo agents.

Jack