The Education Forum

Enemies... Foreign and Domestic

Craig Carvalho

I have a theory that can be supported with specific evidence. But for now I would like to "float" the idea out there, (here), and get a general reaction/opinions regarding it's premise.

An event leading up to the president's assassination that I feel has been mistakenly ignored by in large was Oswald's alleged attempt on the life of retired general Edwin Walker. Case in point, I recall debating with another researcher about Oswald's choice of weapon for the assassination of JFK. He argued that the Carcano was ill equipped for the task of firing multiple shots at a moving target. My reply was simply that Oswald had not ordered the rifle with that in mind. My contention was that Oswald had in fact ordered the rifle with the intention of firing one shot at a stationary target, namely Edwin Walker.

As this section of the forum pertains more specifically to the Kennedy administration, allow me to refocus a bit. In November of 1963 we were entering into an election year. Barring history's rather skewed image of JFK in light of his assassination, what were his chances of re-election, and what were the major obstacles he faced in this endeavor?

In terms of foreign policy, I would put Cuba at the top of this list. The failure of the Bay of Pigs invasion, which publicly JFK took responsibility for and which would ultimately lead to the Cuban missile crisis, I believe would have been political fodder for any republican opponent he may have faced in the 64' election.

Domestically, the raging battle over civil rights, particularly in the south, was escalating to a point at which the federal government had quickly become the only "stop-gap" between state authority and all out anarchy as a response to integration. This situation came to a boiling point on the campus of the University of Mississippi resulting in several deaths and the shooting of federal marshals sent there to keep the peace. Edwin Walker was a central figure in this debacle, and he would prove, as his past would suggest, that he was a man to be reckoned with... possibly seen by some as a risk to national security.

Following the incident at 'Ole Miss' attorney general Robert Kennedy took aggressive action against Walker, (let's not forget that it was JFK himself who relieved Walker of his command in Germany). However, both of the attorney general's tactics failed miserably. Walker's indictment for sedition was struck down by a southern grand jury. Kennedy's subsequent attempt to have Walker committed to a mental institution also failed, with the head psychologist publicly denouncing the AG's actions as nothing more than a politically motivated act of revenge.

It is also interesting to note that at about this time president Kennedy read a novel entitled, Seven Days in May, in which a general, (many, including JFK believed this character to be modeled after Walker), hatched a plan to overthrow the U.S. government rather than negotiate an arms agreement with the Soviets. When word came out of Hollywood that the novel might be made into a movie, the president offered the use of the oval office for the filming of key scenes. Ironically, the movie was released one week after the president's assassination.

I place Walker at the center of both of these volatile issues. On the one hand Walker was a staunch anti-communist. His speeches were wildly popular among right-wing southerners. Just weeks before JFK's visit to Dallas, Adlai Stevenson had been accosted by a crowd of Walker supporters following a speech given by the former general. On the civil rights issue, as a private citizen, Walker had a unique background that gave him the ability to organize and carry out acts of extreme civil unrest. In what way(s) could a man like Walker impact the president's bid for re-election? And how far would the Kennedy's go to silence such a man?

The CIA had begun developing plans to assassinate Fidel Castro under orders from vice-president Nixon during the Eisenhower administration. The attempts continued during the Kennedy administration, and would go on far into the future. So, the idea that these plans somehow originated with John F. Kennedy, (an idea that I feel has been popularized as it may relate to his assassination), can and should be filed under the heading of "urban myth". What is important to note during the Kennedy administration is that these plans came to involve men at the head of organized crime. This created a rather dubious partnership to say the least. At a time when AG Robert Kennedy was prosecuting mob leaders in record numbers, (even by today's standards), the CIA, under his direction, chose to utilize organized crime during one of our nations darkest times of covert activity. The perils of which, in my opinion, would play out in Dealey Plaza in November of 1963. The guilt for this, and other things, would haunt Robert Kennedy for the rest of his days.

Could the Kennedy administration have found Edwin Walker to be of such grave danger to domestic tranquility as well as an armed advocate of the furtherance of peace worldwide, that they might have pursued the same strategy against him as was being used against Fidel Castro? If so, logic would dictate that the same back channels would be utilized, possibly even the same individuals. This could have given the Kennedy's greatest enemy, the mafia, a final trump card to play. While the American public may have been willing to accept, if not condoned, the assassination of a communist leader like Fidel Castro, (in 1973 we did just that), learning of a plot to assassinate a retired, highly decorated, U.S. Army general could have been viewed as treasonous, (regardless of his personal views and bigotries). Was this the opportunity organized crime had been waiting for to end their bitter war with the Kennedy administration? Could they have used such a secret to silence the Kennedy family and provoke a government cover-up following JFK's assassination? How far were these brutal men willing to go to ensure their survival?

Regards,

Craig C.

Edited by Craig Carvalho

Food for thought...

How was Oswald able to order and receive the Carcano rifle through the mail when he was being monitored through the CIA's HT LINGUAL program?

Where did Oswald hide for nearly three hours following the attempt on Walker's life? (Jack Ruby's Vegas Club was less than 6 blocks from Walker's home)

Who was Oswald in fear of during his visit to the Soviet Embassy in Mexico City? (remember the pistol he brandished... "This will end badly for me!")

Many have speculated it was the FBI. But following his arrest in New Orleans weeks earlier, instead of simply paying the fine and going home, he requests, (and was granted), an interview with the FBI. Puzzling to say the least.

After leaving his rooming house on N. Beckley following the assassination, Oswald took a route which placed him about 3-4 blocks from Jack Ruby's apartment at the location of the Tippit shooting. On May 26, 1964 Texas Attorney General Waggoner Carr sent this private advisory to J. Lee Rankin...

"May I also suggest that every effort be made to determine why Oswald was headed in the general direction of Jack Ruby's house at the time he was intercepted by officer Tippit."

On the morning of Sunday November 24, 1963 two Dallas police detectives reported for duty.Their names were William Harrison and Louis Miller. Immediately upon arriving for duty the two left the building for coffee at the Delux Diner across the street from police headquarters. After spending approximately 1/2 hour there they received a phone call from headquarters requesting their return. During their Warren Commission testimony, (initially Miller refused to testify), neither man could recall a single word spoken between them during this "coffee break". At the time of Oswald's transfer Miller was in an adjoining office where Oswald sat during his "last-minute" interrogation by Postal Inspector Harry Holmes. Only minutes later Harrison was standing shoulder to shoulder with Ruby in the basement garage just before Ruby lunged forward and shot Oswald.

During Jack Ruby's Warren Commission testimony, when pressed by Chief Justice Earl Warren as to why he was in fear for his life in Dallas, Ruby responded...

"... There is an organization here, Chief Justice Warren, if it takes my life at this moment to say it, and Bill Decker said be a man and say it, there is a John Birch Society right now in activity, and Edwin Walker is one of the top men of this organization--take it for what it is worth, Chief Justice Warren. ..."

While much of this is considered common knowledge among most researchers, how each piece fits, (or is fitted), into the puzzle can radically effect one's view of the overall picture. And there is more...

April 8, 1963 - Robert Surrey, a close friend and confidant of Edwin Walker, observed a vehicle parked in the alley behind Walker's house at approximately 8-9 p.m., and two men peering into the windows of the Walker residence. Surrey recounted his observations before the WC. Surrey described the vehicle as a new Ford four door sedan possibly dark brown or maroon in color. Surrey also stated that the vehicle had no license plates. Surrey watched the two men enter the vehicle. Surrey followed them for a short distance, but gave up after he believed he had been discovered. Surrey went on to say that he relayed this info to Walker who in turn reported this to the Dallas police on April 9, 1963.

April 10, 1963 - Jack Ruby places a long distance telephone call to Clarence Rector of Sulphur Springs, TX. Rector owned and operated an automobile transporting service. Ruby and Rector had met at Ruby's, often ignored, Vegas Club in the months prior to the Walker shooting, (see Rector's FBI interview below).

April 17, 1963 - The Dallas police department sells a 1962 Ford four door sedan to Elvis Blount of Sulphur Springs, TX, (see Commission Exhibit 2045 below).

It is also interesting to note that this vehicle, (#107), may have resurfaced on November 22, 1963 just outside of Oswald's N. Beckley rooming house...

Mr. Ball. On the 29th of November, Special Agents Will Griffin and James Kennedy of the Federal Bureau of Investigation interviewed you and you told them that "after Oswald had entered his room about 1 p.m. on November 22, 1963, you looked out the front window and saw police car No. 207?

Mrs. Roberts. No. 107.

Edited by Craig Carvalho

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Craig, I noticed this lonely old post out here and saw that you tended to it with an edit a few weeks ago; so I can see that you have not forgotten it. There are much more qualified people on here to answer your question but I figured I would chime in.

One thing that your post does not allow for is the possibility of two Oswalds. When I came to this forum a few months ago, and indeed this whole story, I would and generally now do avoid such ideas as fantastic and as a distraction. I have come to believe that the posiibility can not be ignored entirely. It may be a fact. And there seems to be no doubt that Oswald was impersonated in Mexico City, at least.

Oswald claimed that the backyard photos were a forgery. I can go on and on but, if you, even just as a hypothesis, accept rhe imposter story, many of your questions find answers, lonely puzzle pieces begin to fit, and a lot of the fog lifts. It's certainly worthwhile to work with the imposter theory if only as an academic excercise.

Cheers, Mike