The Education Forum

General Walker : a 'pauper'?

John Dolva

Thanks, Ed.

Your welcome Ray, I guess the only "proof" of ownership by LHO was the baby picture taken with the IR camera.

"Three edges of the shadowgraph of the film-plane aperture were also visible on one of the photographs of General Walker's house, not having been blocked out in the making of the print. On the basis of these three margins, Shaneyfelt determined that this photograph had also been taken with Oswald's Imperial Reflex camera. Shaneyfelt could not determine whether 133-A had been photographed with the Imperial camera, because the negative of 133-A had not been found, and the print itself did not show a shadowgraph area."

http://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/warren-commission-report/appendix-10.html

"...In the case of Commission Exhibit No. 2, which is a print of the alley in the back of the Walker residence, this shadowgraph appears around three of the edges of this photograph and. therefore, it has been used for such a comparison."

http://www.jfkballistics.com/shaneyfelt_lyndal_wch15p686_702.html

If you study the info in the my other post things are sketchy as statements contradict each other regarding the camera.

Ed

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But isn't it interesting that Marina provided pictures? This means one of two things:

A. Oswald was involved in the Walker shooting

B. The pictures were planted and Oswald was innocent.

If Oswald was involved, there was a conspiracy to shoot Walker (see my arguments above). If Oswald was not involved, there was a conspiracy to frame Oswald for the Walker shooting.

The Tippet shooting has been called the Rosetta Stone of the JFK assassination. Why would Oswald shoot a police officer unless he was guilty of killing the President? I submit that the Walker shooting is the Rosetta Stone of the Tippet murder. To prove Oswald had a previous capacity to commit violence, the Walker shooting was pinned on him.

But what of the accomplice?

Once the Warren Commission established that Marina had numerous pictures of Walker's place taken by Oswald, physical evidence existed that linked Oswald to the Walker shooting. However the Warren Commission curiously ignored the conspiracy angle of the Walker shooting. Was this by design?

Is it not a fatal flaw in the Warren Commission's findings to conclude that Oswald was part of a conspiracy to shoot General Walker in April 1963 but was a lone nut in the murders of Kennedy and Tippet in November 1963? Thus, the incontravertible evidence of a conspiracy to kill Walker was glossed over. The only evidentiary value offered was that Oswald tried to kill Walker. No mention of an accomplice.

Does anyone know who Oswald's accomplice might be in Dallas, April 1963?

Chris, more than two-and-a-half years ago you asked some interesting questions without finding answers in this thread. I wish to address your questions again.

This year the Briscoe Center for American History in Austin, TX opened more of its Edwin A. Walker archives. I pass that library on my way to work, so I spent some time there last summer. What I found there might shed some light on these questions.

1. You may already be aware from General Walker's Warren Commission Testimony that attorney Liebeler failed to get an answer from Walker regarding how he knew that Oswald was his April shooter before 11/23/1963, when he spoke with Hasso Thorsten of the Deutsche Nationalzeitung on that day with that bit of news.

2. Liebeler had Walker on the ropes, because the evidence was clear - the newspaper had been printed - and the story was there. Here is how it opened in Munich on 11/29/1963: "The murderer of Kennedy made an attempt on General Walker's life early in the summer when General Walker was sitting in his study. The bullet missed Walker's head only by inches. Oswald was seized. The following investigation, as it was reported, was stopped through the influence of the US Attorney General, Robert Kennedy. If Oswald had been investigated, he eventually would have been imprisoned for many years, and so he would not have been in a position to commit the murder of the US President, Mr. John F. Kennedy."

3. It is interesting that Walker told Thorsten that "Oswald was seized." Walker repeated this story many times over the decades, sending it to many newspapers, even into the 1990's.

4. Walker believed that Jesse Curry had Oswald in custody on 4/10/1963, the night of the shooting, but Robert Kennedy called the Secret Service in Dallas to pressure Curry into releasing Oswald!

5. Here's another snippet from Walker's personal archives. It appears along with sheets dated 10/1989. These pages are signed by Walker's own hand:

"DEALEY PLAZA DALLAS - APRIL TO NOVEMBER: ...As the prime suspect in Dallas Police custody by midnight, following an "Attempted Assassination" at 9pm, April 10th, 1963, Lee Harvey Oswald was released from custody on Kennedy orders...the release was accomplished before working hours on April 11th 1963..."

6. Here's another snippet from an editorial by Edwin A. Walker, Dallas, to the Kerrville Daily Times on Sunday, January 19, 1992:

"...The President went to Dallas knowing and protecting his November assassin Lee H. Oswald from prosecution for his April Crime - "Attempted Assassinati of the former General working at his desk in his Dallas home, 9:00pm, April 10." The Kennedy protection included an early-morning, secret release of the prime suspect Lee H. Oswald, from Dallas Police custody on Kennedy orders, April 11. The President did not live to know that he knew his assassin but everyone else lived to know that he did, and that his assassin could not be prosecuted for the November Crime bcause of his Kennedy protection for his April Crime..."

7. Walker was convinced that Oswald was his shooter -- and he did not need for Marina to announce it to the Warren Commission or the FBI in early December, 1963. How did he know?? That's the puzzle that Liebeler wanted to solve - but Walker would not tell him.

8. In fact, Walker misguided Liebeler and said that he really didn't believe that Oswald was his shooter! Yet Liebeler had proof to the contrary in the hard copy of the Deutsche Nationalzeitung of 11/29/1963, which provides a transcript of the phone conversation between Walker and Thorsten on 11/23/1963 - when Oswald was still alive in the Dallas jailhouse.

9. Much of this information is also available on the Mary Ferrell Foundation web site: (FBI Files on Edwin Walker, 116-165494 File, Section 2)

10. Now to address your question. Walker was convinced - from start to finish - that there were two shooters.

11. This is partly why Walker complained to the HSCA that the bullet they had did not match the bullet he saved from the April shooting. (The HSCA bullet had a copper jacket, and the Walker bullet had a steel jacket.)

12. But Walker was convinced that Oswald acted along with somebody else - probably the CIA or Secret Service or somebody sent by Robert Kennedy.

13. To the HSCA Walker also sent this fascinating letter on June 23, 1975:

------------- BEGIN QUOTE EDWIN A. WALKER ---------

Dear Senator Church:

The Warren Commission found and concluded that Lee Harvey Oswald attempted to assassinate the undersigned at his home, at 9pm. on April 10, 1963. The initial and immediate investigation at the time of the incident reported two men at my home, one with a gun, seen by an eye-witness -- a neighbor. Within days I was informed by a Lieutenant on the Dallas City Police Force that Oswald was in custody by 12pm that night for questioning. He was released on a higher authority than that in Dallas. There were two men, not a "Lonely Loner". Please inform me if the CIA was involved in this attempted assassination?

Yours sincerely,

Edwin A. Walker

----------- END QUOTE EDWIN A. WALKER ------

14. So, this shows that Walker, twelve years after the incident, was still concerned that the CIA was a part of the plot to kill him, and he hoped that Senator Church and the later HSCA would confirm his suspicisions.

15. In another signed letter from General Walker, this one to Representative Lamar Smith in 1990, Walker requests the release of all JFK assassination files. This was to be in celebration of the Berlin Wall coming down, as well as in protest of the lockdown of JFK files for 75 years. Walker was quite aged at this time, but he wanted to see *everybody* who tried to kill him on April 10, 1963.

There is more in the Briscoe Center, Chris, but I wanted to address your questions with this today.

Best regards...

Edited by Paul Trejo

Paul, is there any correspondence there between Ned Touchstone or John Sullivan (memory name, head of Louisiana Sovereignty Commission. Even, while I'm at it, Eastland, Birdsong, Beckwith, Van Landringham, etc: in that milieu, in the archive?

edit add :

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=18063&view=findpost&p=233221

http://mdah.state.ms...43|1|1|1|43755| search button down the bottom for Ned Touchstone. Look out for "The Councilor" edition that reports the arrival in Shreveport as well as the reporting (in German and translation and some commentary) about the German article re Oswald.

Perhaps there is a way to track these guys in the days following the assassination too.

Edited by John Dolva

Paul, is there any correspondence there between Ned Touchstone or John Sullivan (memory name, head of Louisiana Sovereignty Commission. Even, while I'm at it, Eastland, Birdsong, Beckwith, Van Landringham, etc: in that milieu, in the archive?

edit add :

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=18063&view=findpost&p=233221

http://mdah.state.ms...43|1|1|1|43755| search button down the bottom for Ned Touchstone. Look out for "The Councilor" edition that reports the arrival in Shreveport as well as the reporting (in German and translation and some commentary) about the German article re Oswald.

Perhaps there is a way to track these guys in the days following the assassination too.

Good questions, good leads, John. I'll look these up. It will take some time, as the Walker archives are stored offsite, and must be specially ordered, and can only be viewed during limited hours. Also, they are all still in folders in cardboard boxes, and not completely indexed yet. So, as I say, it will take some time, but eventually I expect to answer your question, one way or the other.

Best regards...

Guest Robert Morrow

But isn't it interesting that Marina provided pictures? This means one of two things:

If Oswald was involved, there was a conspiracy to shoot Walker (see my arguments above). If Oswald was not involved, there was a conspiracy to frame Oswald for the Walker shooting.

The Tippet shooting has been called the Rosetta Stone of the JFK assassination. Why would Oswald shoot a police officer unless he was guilty of killing the President? I submit that the Walker shooting is the Rosetta Stone of the Tippet murder. To prove Oswald had a previous capacity to commit violence, the Walker shooting was pinned on him.

But what of the accomplice?

Once the Warren Commission established that Marina had numerous pictures of Walker's place taken by Oswald, physical evidence existed that linked Oswald to the Walker shooting. However the Warren Commission curiously ignored the conspiracy angle of the Walker shooting. Was this by design?

Is it not a fatal flaw in the Warren Commission's findings to conclude that Oswald was part of a conspiracy to shoot General Walker in April 1963 but was a lone nut in the murders of Kennedy and Tippet in November 1963? Thus, the incontravertible evidence of a conspiracy to kill Walker was glossed over. The only evidentiary value offered was that Oswald tried to kill Walker. No mention of an accomplice.

Does anyone know who Oswald's accomplice might be in Dallas, April 1963?

Chris, more than two-and-a-half years ago you asked some interesting questions without finding answers in this thread. I wish to address your questions again.

This year the Briscoe Center for American History in Austin, TX opened more of its Edwin A. Walker archives. I pass that library on my way to work, so I spent some time there last summer. What I found there might shed some light on these questions.

1. You may already be aware from General Walker's Warren Commission Testimony that attorney Liebeler failed to get an answer from Walker regarding how he knew that Oswald was his April shooter before 11/23/1963, when he spoke with Hasso Thorsten of the Deutsche Nationalzeitung on that day with that bit of news.

2. Liebeler had Walker on the ropes, because the evidence was clear - the newspaper had been printed - and the story was there. Here is how it opened in Munich on 11/29/1963: "The murderer of Kennedy made an attempt on General Walker's life early in the summer when General Walker was sitting in his study. The bullet missed Walker's head only by inches. Oswald was seized. The following investigation, as it was reported, was stopped through the influence of the US Attorney General, Robert Kennedy. If Oswald had been investigated, he eventually would have been imprisoned for many years, and so he would not have been in a position to commit the murder of the US President, Mr. John F. Kennedy."

3. It is interesting that Walker told Thorsten that "Oswald was seized." Walker repeated this story many times over the decades, sending it to many newspapers, even into the 1990's.

4. Walker believed that Jesse Curry had Oswald in custody on 4/10/1963, the night of the shooting, but Robert Kennedy called the Secret Service in Dallas to pressure Curry into releasing Oswald!

5. Here's another snippet from Walker's personal archives. It appears along with sheets dated 10/1989. These pages are signed by Walker's own hand:

"DEALEY PLAZA DALLAS - APRIL TO NOVEMBER: ...As the prime suspect in Dallas Police custody by midnight, following an "Attempted Assassination" at 9pm, April 10th, 1963, Lee Harvey Oswald was released from custody on Kennedy orders...the release was accomplished before working hours on April 11th 1963..."

6. Here's another snippet from an editorial by Edwin A. Walker, Dallas, to the Kerrville Daily Times on Sunday, January 19, 1992:

"...The President went to Dallas knowing and protecting his November assassin Lee H. Oswald from prosecution for his April Crime - "Attempted Assassinati of the former General working at his desk in his Dallas home, 9:00pm, April 10." The Kennedy protection included an early-morning, secret release of the prime suspect Lee H. Oswald, from Dallas Police custody on Kennedy orders, April 11. The President did not live to know that he knew his assassin but everyone else lived to know that he did, and that his assassin could not be prosecuted for the November Crime bcause of his Kennedy protection for his April Crime..."

7. Walker was convinced that Oswald was his shooter -- and he did not need for Marina to announce it to the Warren Commission or the FBI in early December, 1963. How did he know?? That's the puzzle that Liebeler wanted to solve - but Walker would not tell him.

8. In fact, Walker misguided Liebeler and said that he really didn't believe that Oswald was his shooter! Yet Liebeler had proof to the contrary in the hard copy of the Deutsche Nationalzeitung of 11/29/1963, which provides a transcript of the phone conversation between Walker and Thorsten on 11/23/1963 - when Oswald was still alive in the Dallas jailhouse.

9. Much of this information is also available on the Mary Ferrell Foundation web site: (FBI Files on Edwin Walker, 116-165494 File, Section 2)

10. Now to address your question. Walker was convinced - from start to finish - that there were two shooters.

11. This is partly why Walker complained to the HSCA that the bullet they had did not match the bullet he saved from the April shooting. (The HSCA bullet had a copper jacket, and the Walker bullet had a steel jacket.)

12. But Walker was convinced that Oswald acted along with somebody else - probably the CIA or Secret Service or somebody sent by Robert Kennedy.

13. To the HSCA Walker also sent this fascinating letter on June 23, 1975:

------------- BEGIN QUOTE EDWIN A. WALKER ---------

Dear Senator Church:

The Warren Commission found and concluded that Lee Harvey Oswald attempted to assassinate the undersigned at his home, at 9pm. on April 10, 1963. The initial and immediate investigation at the time of the incident reported two men at my home, one with a gun, seen by an eye-witness -- a neighbor. Within days I was informed by a Lieutenant on the Dallas City Police Force that Oswald was in custody by 12pm that night for questioning. He was released on a higher authority than that in Dallas. There were two men, not a "Lonely Loner". Please inform me if the CIA was involved in this attempted assassination?

Yours sincerely,

Edwin A. Walker

----------- END QUOTE EDWIN A. WALKER ------

14. So, this shows that Walker, twelve years after the incident, was still concerned that the CIA was a part of the plot to kill him, and he hoped that Senator Church and the later HSCA would confirm his suspicisions.

15. In another signed letter from General Walker, this one to Representative Lamar Smith in 1990, Walker requests the release of all JFK assassination files. This was to be in celebration of the Berlin Wall coming down, as well as in protest of the lockdown of JFK files for 75 years. Walker was quite aged at this time, but he wanted to see *everybody* who tried to kill him on April 10, 1963.

There is more in the Briscoe Center, Chris, but I wanted to address your questions with this today.

Best regards...

It is just this post JFK assassination behavior by Gen. Edwin Walker that makes me think he was NOT directly involved in the JFK assassination. He is stirring the pot a bit too much, writing letters, talking about Oswald supposedly shooting him, writing letters to the HSCA ... the real killers would just SHUT UP and not draw attention to themselves.

I think Walker was probably personally friends with the murderers of JFK, but they did not let him into the plot or tell him about it. I am thinking of H.L. Hunt.

By the way, I do not think at all that Oswald shot at Walker. I think that concept is ridiculous and just disinfo that the government tried to wrap Oswald with.

Edited by Robert Morrow

5...Walker sheets dated 10/1989:

6...Kerrville Daily Times on Sunday, January 19, 1992:

13...To HSCA, June 23, 1975:

Dear Senator Church:

Yours sincerely,

Edwin A. Walker

--- END QUOTE EDWIN A. WALKER ---

It is just this post-JFK assassination behavior by Gen. Edwin Walker that makes me think he was NOT directly involved in the JFK assassination. He is stirring the pot a bit too much, writing letters, talking about Oswald supposedly shooting him, writing letters to the HSCA ... the real killers would just SHUT UP and not draw attention to themselves.

I think Walker was probably personally friends with the murderers of JFK, but they did not let him into the plot or tell him about it. I am thinking of H.L. Hunt.

By the way, I do not think at all that Oswald shot at Walker. I think that concept is ridiculous and just disinfo that the government tried to wrap Oswald with.

Actually, Robert, I think that your doubts are interesting and deserve a lot of consideration; which is the very reason that I favored this thread by Chris Halbower, who more than 2.5 years ago posed the problem unusually well:

...If Oswald was not involved, there was a conspiracy to frame Oswald for the Walker shooting...

In order for Oswald to be innocent of shooting at Walker, then Walker (and/or his confederates) had to plant a lot of evidence, and he had to do it at the extreme earliest, a few hours after Kennedy was shot and killed.

I say this because we have material evidence that can hardly be doubted -- namely, a German newspaper in Munich that published an interview between a reporter and Edwin Walker taken the day after Kennedy was shot, where Edwin Walker was already telling the reporter that Oswald was his shooter! On November 23rd!

Now - how likely is Chris' item 'B' above, such that Walker would: {a} take all these photos of his house; {b} write a fake letter framing Oswald; {c} plant these among Marina's possessions; {d} request J. Edgar Hoover and his men to force Marina to say that Oswald was his April shooter; and {e} do all this before his 11/23/1963 interview with the Deutsche Nationalzeitung?

For simplicity I will boil the choices down to the two extremes:

* Readers who say it is unlikely agree with me -- that Oswald was the shooter, that Walker found out about it months before Marina told anybody in the world, and this was his (and/or his confederates) motivation to frame Oswald as the patsy.

* On the other hand, Robert, readers who say it is likely agree with you. Yet let's proceed slowly: you seem to suggest that by calling all this inordinate and superfluous attention to himself, that he is simply trying to push himself in front of the camera for no good reason . Yet there is so much of this pot stirring that what I find hard to believe is that there is no reason for it!

On the contrary - let's say, for the sake of argument, that Edwin Walker made up the whole April-shooter-Oswald story, and then took enormous trouble to plant all this evidence, and arrange with the FBI to accept his story and sell it to Marina and the world. Yes, that is what your position must eventually imply Robert.

Now, doesn't this extreme and bizarre behavior suggest the behavior of a guilty person? Is this not classic cover-up behavior? Who covers up so intensely except the guilty party?

Best regards...

Edited by Paul Trejo

• 3 months later...

Reading back on this topic there a a number of very interesting contribution and deserve prominence. I just want to add, unless it has already been done, the comment that Walker, while the full amount of his financial resources may be in doubt I think it's fair to say that the first set of posts that dealt with his monetary worth, while in the end may not have amounted to as much as was 'promised', he had 'value' that could be based on the 3 million odd figure arrived at and can be considered a potential asset that could justify freeing up 'real' capital. imo.

Reading back on this topic there a a number of very interesting contribution and deserve prominence. I just want to add, unless it has already been done, the comment that Walker, while the full amount of his financial resources may be in doubt I think it's fair to say that the first set of posts that dealt with his monetary worth, while in the end may not have amounted to as much as was 'promised', he had 'value' that could be based on the 3 million odd figure arrived at and can be considered a potential asset that could justify freeing up 'real' capital. imo.

Well, John, that $3 million was only hot air, only talk. It occurred like this. After the Oxford riots, RFK made the mistake of locking up General Walker in an insane asylum. Big mistake. You don't do that with political enemies. So, Walker was out on the street in only five days, and when Walker went to trial in November for his role in the Oxford riots, his lawyers (Clyde J. Watts and Dr. Robert Morris) were able to make the Grand Jury focus on the insanity charge the whole time, and so by the end of January, 1963, the Grand Jury could not indict him, so all charges were dropped.

Now - getting a Grand Jury to drop all charges is such a big deal that Clyde Watts and Robert Morris decided to sue all the newspapers -- nationally -- that printed bad things about Walker. The Associated Press was involved in every single case as the original source of the story, so they are always named in the Court Cases.

This started immediately after the acquittal. From February 1963 to December 1966, this involved about a dozen cases. If Walker's attorneys had won all they were asking for, they would have won $30 million, but as it turned out, they only got $3 million awarded in all those cases. HOWEVER - at the last minute the AP appealed to the Supreme Court, and the Supreme Court overturned every one of those victories in 1967, ruling that 'malice' was not involved, and therefore it was not true libel.

Therefore, after four years of struggle, Walker, Watts and Morris walked away empty-handed.

That's the story of the $3 million, John. Notice that it happened a full year after Walker retired, and Walker had no idea in November of 1961 that in November of 1962 he would be on trial for causing a riot at Oxford U. in Mississippi.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Yes, Paul. That's the point I'm making. In '63 the overturn was in the future.

On another matter. Watts (Brig Gen, reserves?) (and Loony and co* from Oklahoma) is an interesting fellow that afa I've come across is somewhat enigmatic.

He stuck with Walker for quite some time. He was with him during the MAD episode (MAD mag ridicule of Hoover) in the late '50s, through to the shooting of Walkers window frame and Walkers investigation of it, to the Presidential Commission hearings. I would like to know more about him. (too)

edit add * pro bono?

Edited by John Dolva

On another matter. Watts (Brig Gen, reserves?) (and Loony and co* from Oklahoma) is an interesting fellow that afa I've come across is somewhat enigmatic.

He stuck with Walker for quite some time. He was with him during the MAD episode (MAD mag ridicule of Hoover) in the late '50s, through to the shooting of Walkers window frame and Walkers investigation of it, to the Presidential Commission hearings. I would like to know more about him. (too)

edit add * pro bono?

John, you ask a deep question when you ask, pro bono.

I wonder about that myself - I want the answer. Walker had no regular job, so how could he afford to pay two high-profile lawyers for four years? That would take a lot of money.

Walker got money from speaking engagements -- but that would likely pay his own bills -- not keep a stable of rich-man's lawyers hanging around.

Now, it's possible that Watts and Morris did this work pro bono, or perhaps on speculation. That is, they may have firmly believed they would get a part of that $30 million that they were asking for (which, adjusted for inflation would be $300 million today). They may each have demanded 1/3 of the 'winnings' split three ways with Walker. Just a guess.

I'm delighted with the fact that when it came to the Supreme Court, the Justice who heard the case was Earl Warren himself! Walker had been advertising loudly since 1959 to IMPEACH EARL WARREN because of the racial integration ruling.

No 'Citizens Council' justice from Earl Warren -- he gave the three speculators exactly zip. I'm glad that these guys didn't profit from their fib about Walker's actual role in the Oxford riots.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

edit add * pro bono?

John, you ask a deep question when you ask, pro bono.

I wonder about that myself - I want the answer. Walker had no regular job, so how could he afford to pay two high-profile lawyers for four years? That would take a lot of money.

Walker got money from speaking engagements -- but that would likely pay his own bills -- not keep a stable of rich-man's lawyers hanging around.

Now, it's possible that Watts and Morris did this work pro bono, or perhaps on speculation. That is, they may have firmly believed they would get a part of that $30 million that they were asking for (which, adjusted for inflation would be $300 million today). They may each have demanded 1/3 of the 'winnings' split three ways with Walker. Just a guess.

I'm delighted with the fact that when it came to the Supreme Court, the Justice who heard the case was Earl Warren himself! Walker had been advertising loudly since 1959 to IMPEACH EARL WARREN because of the racial integration ruling.

No 'Citizens Council' justice from Earl Warren -- he gave the three speculators exactly zip. I'm glad that these guys didn't profit from their fib about Walker's actual role in the Oxford riots.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Paul

Do you have a citation for "Walker had been advertising loudly since 1959 to IMPEACH EARL WARREN because of the racial integration ruling."

The ruling was 1956/57 I believe (that led to Little Rock) and Walker activly enforced that ruling in 1957. He also went along with the integration of the military in 1948 (approx.) without a murmur and had a fully integrated command staff throughout his career after the military integration until his resignation from the Army.

Jim Root

Paul

Do you have a citation for "Walker had been advertising loudly since 1959 to IMPEACH EARL WARREN because of the racial integration ruling."

The ruling was 1956/57 I believe (that led to Little Rock) and Walker activly enforced that ruling in 1957. He also went along with the integration of the military in 1948 (approx.) without a murmur and had a fully integrated command staff throughout his career after the military integration until his resignation from the Army.

Jim Root

Well, Jim, what I found in the Briscoe Center is a letter from Edwin Walker to Robert Welch in 1959 that explains his reasons for joining Welch's John Birch Society.

Robert Welch had already joined an on-going Southern-based "Impeach Earl Warren" campaign in 1956. The first "Impeach Earl Warren" billboard to my knowledge went up in 1958 in San Francisco, California.

Edwin Walker was only dimly aware of these movements in 1957 when he led the Arkansas Troops to racially integrate Little Rock High in 1957. However, that duty caused him many sleepless nights, and he asked Eisenhower (through channels) if he could use State's National Guard instead of Federal resources for an act like this. He was denied.

Throughout virtually all his speeches and all his testimonies to Senate Subcommittees and other public hearings, Walker repeated that the Little Rock episode was the event that changed his politics forever.

For one thing, he remembered, Governor Orval Faubus called Walker, "The Commander of Little Rock occupational forces." Walker was stung by this remark, and it caused him to read more about politics that were critical of Eisenhower.

In 1959 Walker finally met Robert Welch, founder of the John Birch Society (1958). That's when Walker first submitted his resignation to the Army, because of: "a fifth column conspiracy...to minimize or nullify the effectiveness of my ideals and principles."

But that letter to Robert Welch in 1959 is pretty clear, Jim.

The trouble with the Little Rock episode was not so much the racial element -- the trouble was State's Rights. If a State didn't want to integrate racially, then why should they be FORCED to do so? That was the main problem.

Also, most of Walker's friends were Southerners, and Southerners in 1959 still tended to feel very strongly in favor of racial segregation. So, Walker was defending his friends, too. His many speeches at so-called Citizens Councils for most of the rest of his life is ample evidence of that.

It wasn't the racial thing as much as the FORCED thing, as Walker explained it.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Guest Tom Scully

Warning: If this thread is besieged with posts related to the details included in the example incident I am using ONLY to attempt to support my point in this post, I will move those OT posts to a new thread I will create in the Political Conspiracies section!

I think Jim Root has it exactly backwards, asserting that the method chosen to protect the top level assassination conspirators was to keep the planning as simple and narrow as possible, involving the least number of people on a need to know basis.

The people I know owe the American people an actual explanation of what they knew related to the JFK Assassination, the murder of Lee Harvey Oswald, and the half century long, officially supported cover up of those details, have a long record of conducting by intention, complicated and confusing "operations" using a counter-intuitive, but demonstrably effective strategy of confusion involving many individuals. This strategy has been so successful that there is no consensus to this day whether the high level government "operators" of the 1980's were or were not also culpable in the Assassination of JFK and the cover up.

Mark

You stated:

"Jim, my take on the Walker shooting is that the Walker shooting was, indeed, the "brilliant" shot you called it. With the miss, Walker gains credibility as someone who's not merely being persecuted, but as a person whom [unknown] folks are actually trying to kill. And Oswald, by missing, isn't rotting in some jail on an attempted murder rap when the time for the JFK hit comes. Thus, by NOT killing Walker, all the pieces are in place for the assassination plot to play out."

I believe my train of thought is much simpler, perhaps because I am such a simple minded person....... shortly after the missed assassination attempt on Walker the FBI/Office of Richard Helms begins following Oswald. I don't believe the cart goes in front of the horse in this case. The cart being the assassination of Kennedy and Oswald being the horse to carry out the assassination. Once Oswald could be identified as a potential assassin (because he had attempted to kill Walker) a group of conspirators (only those who would have information about Oswald available to them and would/could have known that Oswald would have been the one who attempted to kill Walker) could place their bets on their horse, Oswald, to assassinate the President......without ever having to ask him to do it!!!!!!

According to the CIA/Bellin letter we find that if it would have been known that Oswald had attempted to assassinate Walker then, with the other information about Oswald that was available at the time, it could have been predicted that Oswald would kill Kennedy if given the opportunity. Rather than needing to recruit an assassin all that was needed was to direct a motorcade past where Oswald was working.

FBI Agent J P Hosty's third note provided the information about where Oswald was working. This information, without Hosty's knowledge, was made available to highest levels of US Intelligence. Perhaps the most important piece in this part of my investigation is that that note has disappeared from the files of the CIA. A note has disappeared that, if available, would show exactly eho had had access to the information that it contained. I find this to be a wonderful reason that explains, very easily, why that note has disappeared.....without having to speculate on alot of other scenarios!

Mark, I am not big on the idea of a broad based conspiracy to kill the JFK. Throughout my research I have constantly looked for, and it seems have found, explanations that seem to provide for a conspiracy that invovled very few people.....but those same people would have to have been at the very top of the heap when it comes to directing intelligence assets and having access to intelligence information.

Jim Root

Jim, please devote just a couple of hours of study of this. I avoided looking at any of it beyond what I read or heard from the news media, back then, in real time, until just the other day when comments were posted on another thread here on the subject of the credibility of one "Chip Tatum".

Focus on just this one snippet of the Iran-Contra saga, a 1988 plane crash in which we were told a man named Nir was killed, a man rumored to have recorded the dialogue of a 1986 meeting with then U.S. VP George HW Bush. Nir was supposed to testify before the inquiry convened to investigate the Iran-Contra irregularities.

I was impressed with the way, right from the initial reporting, the confusion was so skillfully injected into what could have been a thoroughly and accurately reported incident, the crash in daylight and fair weather of a small rented airplane with no more than six occupants. The NY Times got the ball rolling by contradicting the WaPo reporting of the name of the pilot, and the Times reported that the young female passenger was using an alias, some of the time, with a last name spelled exactly the same as that of the local Mexican chief of federal judicial police. From the time of the crash until today, there seems no agreement on key details and relationships, exactly the outcome that it would seem would be most beneficial for Mr. Bush and a number of his 1980's associates.

I am inclined to view the roles of Oswald, Ruby, and Walker in the assassination conspiracy as a similar dark hole as this example is, an investigation of incidents that, by design, can probably lead nowhere. This example may simply be a scenario lifting the veil on what can be expected of these people if they feel they are being cornered, or feel threatened to any serious degree, for that matter.:

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/12/06/world/nir-s-fatal-mexico-visit-called-a-business-trip.html

Nir's Fatal Mexico Visit Called a Business Trip

By LARRY ROHTER, Special to the New York Times

Published: December 06, 1988

....The former official, Amiram Nir, was an antiterrorism adviser to two Israeli prime ministers and acted as one of Oliver L. North's main go-betweens in the Reagan Administration's arms-for-hostages negotiations with Iran in 1985 and 1986. He died Wednesday when the Cessna T-210 in which he was traveling went down in the state of Michoacan. The pilot of the single-engine plane also died in the crash and two other passengers were seriously injured.

Investigations conducted by federal judicial and civil aviation authorities are continuing. But Jose Luis Arriaga, a federal judicial police commander in the town of Uruapan, said preliminary information indicated that Mr. Nir had gone to Michoacan to discuss the purchase of avocados from the local subsidiary of an international fruit and vegetable exporting concern....

....A Denial by Israel

An Israeli Embassy spokesman here today denied published reports that Mr. Nir was in Mexico to supervise a shipment of arms sold to the Mexican Government by Israel. Some of these reports said the arms were destined for the Mexican armed forces and police for use in official efforts to combat drug trafficking.

''It's completely not true,'' said Israel Mey-Ami, who was sent to Michoacan to recover Mr. Nir's body. ''Mexico and Israel have other channels, official channels, to make deals, military or otherwise. He was a private citizen, and there is no necessity for private citizens to do these services.''...

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&hl=en&q=Pedro+Hurtado+disappeared&btnG=#hl=en&safe=off&tbm=bks&sclient=psy-ab&q=+The+pilot%2C+Guillermo+Guahonte%2C+and+a+25+year+old+mysterious+Canadian+woman%2C+Adriana+Stanton%2C+&oq=+The+pilot%2C+Guillermo+Guahonte%2C+and+a+25+year+old+mysterious+Canadian+woman%2C+Adriana+Stanton%2C+&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_l=serp.12...238587l238587l2l240296l1l1l0l0l0l0l223l223l2-1l1l0.epsugrst.1.&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=457ce4a8ea22e728&biw=1440&bih=717

Inside the Covert Operations of the CIA & Israel's Mossad - Page 275

books.google.com Joel Bainerman - 1994 - Preview

...The police report revealed there were two other passengers in the aircraft. The pilot, Guillermo Guahonte, and a 25 year old mysterious Canadian

woman, Adriana Stanton, survived. A fourth passenger, Pedro Espionoza Hurtado, whose circumstances for being on the plane were never ascertained,

died instantaneously.

Stanton registered for the flight under the name "Ester Arriaga" but an inspector at the departure wing at the airport declared that both Nir and Stanton used their real names. A few days after the crash David Goan, whose father is Nissim Goan, a Swiss-based Jewish millionaire and one of the owners of Nucal, confirmed that Stanton worked for his company in the quality control department. Nir, he said, did not. He would not confirm whether Nir owned a share of the firm nor what his relation, if any, he had to it.

When asked at her hospital room about her connection to Nir, Stanton told The Associated Press "it was a coincidence, we shared the same plane." On an

unscheduled flight?

Isauro Gutierrez Fernandez, a spokesman for the Michoacan state Attorney General's office said that Stanton was serving as Nir's "guide." Juan Manuel Ortea, an inspector at the Uruapan airport, told police Stanton was employed as Nir's "secretary."

Pedro Cruchet, an Argentine citizen living in Uruapan illegally and employed by Nucal, initially identified and recovered Nir's body for the police although he couldn't explain how he happened to be near the crash site. When asked to prove his own identity, he claimed he'd lost his ID at a bullfight. Nir's body was then whisked back to Israel and quickly buried without an autopsy.

When a young woman answered the door to a Washington Post reporter at Stanton's hospital room she indicated that Cruchet was present. When she went to get him another woman appeared at the door and told the journalist that Crochet wasn't there and that she had never heard of him. The second woman reiterated that Stanton's

presence on Nir's rented Cesna had been "purely a coincidence" and that Ms. Stanton had no connection with "the Israeli". She refused to identify herself other than to say she was in Mexico as a tourist from Argentina.

John Picton, a feature reporter for The Toronto Star who investigated the plane crash was told by U.S. intelligence sources that they had information leading them to believe that Nir wasn't dead and had undergone a face-lift in Geneva-"where the clinics are very good, very private and very discreet" and would be able to disguise his identity. When Picton told that to Stanton's mother in her Toronto home she

replied:' "That's strange. It's the second time we've heard that." She wouldn't reveal the other source to Picton nor would her daughter speak to Picton or

confirm whether she did or did not work for Nucal or Nir.

Considering the mystery surrounding his presence in Mexico and the aliases he and Stanton used, perhaps avocados were not the only commodity Nir was peddling. When asked by the Hebrew daily Yediot Aharonot in the spring of 1987 if after leaving government he might enter the arms business, he replied: "I've had enough of missiles." Had he? "I'm going into other types of business," he declared. Did he?

A week after the crash the Long Island-based daily Newsday reported that U.S. intelligence sources in Mexico believed Nir to be the middleman for a large arms deal of Israeli weapons passing via a port in Vera Cruz on the eastern coast of Mexico. It quoted American drug enforcement agency officials as saying that there had been a steep rise in the efforts of cocaine smugglers to transport drugs from

Michoacan to the U.S. and that three weeks prior to Nir's visit a captain in the Mexican army confirmed that a "large shipment" of Israeli made weapons arrived at the Vera Cruz port and was transported to Mexico City. The sale was made, according to the captain, by a group of Israeli arms dealers, not the Israeli government.

If Nir was killed in Mexico, before he got on the plane, as most investigators of the incident seem to believe, it is likely he was silenced for what he knew

about soon to be inaugurated President George Bush. When Bob Woodward of The Washington Post interviewed Nir in London six months before he was killed, Nir said he was considering the best way to tell his side of the story, as "only half of the Iran-Contra affair had been made public." Regarding the failed mission to Teheran in May 1986, "more than half of this trip is not known." Nir then asked him not

to publish any parts of the interview until he got the go-ahead. When Woodward contacted Nir again in early October he was told that he was still not ready to go

public.

Other than perhaps Shimon Peres, Nir knew more than any other Israeli about the quantity and types of arms which were sent to Iran, how much was paid, where the money went, and who profited from the sales. The Israeli government confiscated all of his notes and papers, which were never to be made public, and contained records of Nir's discussions and meetings with American and Iranian officials. The Israeli government also forbade him from answering questions to the U.S. Justice Department

and congressional committees. In fact, despite his key role, he is the only player in the Iran-Contra affair who never publicly testified, or even commented on his role to the press.

His silence may have been due more to self-interest than selfless discretion. Nir remained in government after the rotation of the Prime Ministership from

Shimon Peres to Yitzhak Shamir in October 1986. In March 1987, after telling his new boss that he was taking a vacation in London, he instead flew to Geneva. There, at the luxury Reserve Hotel, he met with Ghorbanifar. The Saudi billionaire Adnan

Khashoggi, who provided the financing in earlier arms sales to Iran, was also registered at the hotel....

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/12/06/world/nir-s-fatal-mexico-visit-called-a-business-trip.html?pagewanted=2&src=pm

Nir's Fatal Mexico Visit Called a Business Trip

Published: December 06, 1988

(Page 2 of 2)

Mr. Nir registered at a hotel in Uruapan under his real name, the authorities said. But he traveled aboard the plane using the alias Pat Weber, and his true identity was established only after the crash, when his passport, along with a tourist visa issued in London, was found on his body.

''I don't know why that should be the case,'' Mr. Mey-Ami said when asked why Mr. Nir was using an assumed name. In response to the same question, Mr. Arriaga said, ''He's dead, so I can't ask him why, can I?'' Canadian Woman on Plane

Traveling with Mr. Nir was a 23-year-old Canadian woman whom Mr. Arriaga identified as ''a part-time tourist guide and employee of the avocado packing company.''

The woman, who was listed on the plane manifest as Esther Arriaga but was later identified as Adriana Stanton, survived the crash and is now under treatment at a hospital here.

Mr. Nir was the main link between Israel and the Reagan Administration during a critical phase of the Iran-contra affair, and traveled both to Teheran and Washington in that capacity. As such, he was expected to be sought as a witness in the event Mr. North or other American officials go to trial for their involvement in the affair.

Ads by Google

Victor Manuel Quintos, director of the airport in Morelia, capital of the state of Michoacan, said he and other civil aviation officials were still looking into the cause of the crash. ''But we have completely discarded the hypothesis of sabotage and think mechancial failure is the most probable cause,'' he said.

Mr. Quintos said peasants in the area reported seeing the plane circling overhead about 4 P.M. Wednesday as if in distress. The pilot, Pedro Espinoza Hurtado, apparently tried to land in a field, but collided with a stone fence.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dea+agents+lockerbie&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-nightly#hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-nightly&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aunofficial&tbs=ar:1&tbm=nws&sclient=psy-ab&q=nir+passenger+hurtado&oq=nir+passenger+hurtado&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_l=serp.12...5780l10061l1l12269l17l17l0l0l0l0l538l4101l1j7j4j3j1j1l17l0.epsugrst.1.&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=faec08e2c0d290b0&biw=1440&bih=717

Survivor of Mexican Crash Reportedly Used Alias; Focus of...

Washington Post - Dec 4, 1988

Nir and a Mexican passenger, Pedro Espinoza Hurtado, were killed instantly when the plane smashed into the ground, while Stanton and pilot Guillermo

THE SECRET WORLD OF AMIRAM NIR

Jerusalem Post - Dec 2, 1990

He claimed to be Nir's "partner" and that it was Nir's first visit to Uruapan where he come "to solicit prices for avocadoes" and was ... The pilot, Pedro Espionoza Hurtado, died instantly. The police report said two other passengers were aboard .

http://www.textfiles.com/conspiracy/CN/cn08-63.txt

GENE "CHIP" TATUM -- CA. JULY 1996

....GENE TATUM:

I was to fly a 4-man team to a southern Mexico town, outside of

Morelia. Mr. Nir was involved in an avocado packaging plant

which, I don't know if it did or didn't package avocados, or

packaged something else. I was not involved in that. I *was*

involved in eliminating him before he could appear before the

commissions to testify in 1989.

I flew a 4-man team in. There was a radio beacon put in, with

the frequency given to us, put on Mr. Nir. We triangulated the

position. The 4-man team went to that position to eliminate Mr.

Nir. However apparently there were two signals, and one was in an

aircraft, a small aircraft. I think it was a Cessna T-210, a

small, charter aircraft.

When I fly a mission as a combat helicopter pilot, into a foreign

country, we normally fly in what's called "the Archer Mode,"

which is an armed mode. We would fly an aircraft with full

Stingers on one side of the pod, and we would fly a, about a

one-quarter to one-third charged missiles on the right side of

the aircraft, so that we could scare away base aircraft based in

the country that we were in, rather than shoot them down. We

would rather scare them away than shoot them down.

Unfortunately, this missile, the proximity missile that I fired,

took down the aircraft and killed two people on board.

ROBERT LORI:

And one of them was Amiram Nir?

GENE TATUM:

That's correct.

ROBERT LORI:

The shoot-down took place at a time when the Iran-Contra scandal

was on the front pages of American newspapers, right?...

https://www.google.com/search?q=tatum+nir&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-nightly#hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-nightly&hs=EfQ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&q=nir%20adriana%20stanton&psj=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbm=bks&source=og&sa=N&tab=wp&psj=1&ei=aDJ2T9-eI8TgtgeChbjoDg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=f23c61bd7e89fd45&biw=1440&bih=717

Profits of war: inside the secret U.S.-Israeli arms network

books.google.com Ari Ben-Menashe - 1992 - 394 pages - Snippet view

I flew to London and visited Amiram Nir, Shimon Peres's former antiterrorist adviser, who had been involved with Oliver North in the Iran-contra affair. A man of about my age, in his late 30s or early 40s, he was due to be a major witness in North's forthcoming trial, and his testimony was expected to embarrass both former Prime Minister Peres and President Reagan. Because Nir knew a great deal about Barbouti's chemical operation in Miami, I wanted to find out more from him.

A shock was in store for me when I visited his St. John's Wood apartment, not far from my sister's. Having left his millionaire wife behind in Israel, he was now living with an attractive, dark-haired woman. I stared at her. Nir introduced her to me as a Canadian, Adriana Stanton, but I knew her from before -- and though Nir didn't know it, Adriana Stanton wasn't her real name.

"Have we met somewhere?" I asked.

"I don't think so," she said and made an excuse to leave the apartment.

"Be very careful of that woman," I warned Nir. He laughed and said she posed no danger to him. He promised to come to see me in Chile. He knew Cardoen and Barbouti well and would be more than happy to help me ...

By way of deception: a devastating insider's portrait of the Mossad

books.google.com Victor Ostrovsky, Claire Hoy - 1991 - 396 pages - Snippet view

T210 over a ranch 110 miles west of Mexico City, Nir was reportedly killed along with the pilot when the plane crashed. ... included Canadian Adriana Stanton, 25, of Toronto, who claimed to have no connection with Nir.

• 2 weeks later...

edit add * pro bono?

John, I like this question about one of Walker's two lawyers, Clyde J. Watts. Watts and Walker were very close -- Watts had been a Brigadier General so they most likely met in the Army, and they had known each other for many years.

Clyde J. Watts represented General Edwin Walker in his three biggest court appearances:

(1) Senate Subcommittee on Military Preparedness in April 1962.

(2) Grand Jury hearings in Oxford, Mississippi on the Ole Miss riots (in which Walker was clearly a key instigator) between November 1962 and January 1963.

(3) Warren Commission hearings of 23 July 1964.

Clyde J. Watts was evidently a brilliant attorney. Watts made Walker appear more competent than he actually was when he appeared before the critical Senate Subcommittee. Watts made Walker appear like an innocent victim before the Grand Jury in Oxford. Watts kept Walker from shouting out his real opinions before the Warren Commission.

Walker's other lawyer was Robert Morris, who was also brilliant. Morris joined Watts and Walker during the Oxford Grand Jury trials. Morris' strategy was apparently to focus all attention on Kennedy sending Walker to an insane asylum for five days. It worked.

After the Grand Jury acquitted Walker of all charges, Morris decided they could clean up by suing every major newspaper that printed stories about Walker after the Ole Miss riots. They sued more than a dozen newspapers from 1963 to 1967. If they had won every case they would have won $30 million (which would be $300 million today after inflation). As it turned out they won $3 million (which would be $30 million today).

However, in a poetic ironic twist, the Associated Press finally appealed to the Supreme Court, and who would hear the case but Chief Justice Earl Warren! (Remember that the #1 slogan of the John Birch Society in 1963 was "Impeach Earl Warren!" and Walker had displayed this slogan on a full-size billboard on his front lawn!)

Earl Warren decided in favor of AP, so Morris, Watts and Walker went away empty-handed.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

<edit typos>

Edited by Paul Trejo

• 4 weeks later...

This thread is important, IMHO, because the sources of General Walker's money will help us grasp his behavior in 1963.

General Walker quit the Army on November 1, 1961 -- that means he gave up his pension. He did not come from a wealthy family.

With no visible means of support Walker immediately moved into a spacious house in a very nice neighborhood in Dallas Texas. He immediately obtained office space in an oil company building.

Two right-wing radio show hosts (Billy James Hargis and H.L. Hunt) were Walker's frequent companions in those days. Did General Walker get money from H.L. Hunt to quit the Army?

Within four months after he quit the Army with no pension, Walker put up $10,000 (after inflation) to register to run for Governor of Texas. He went on to spend $350,000 (after inflation) for his gubernatorial campain (in which he finished in last place). Did H.L. Hunt give Walker that money?

Does anybody know the dates and amounts of cash that H.L. Hunt gave to General Edwin Walker?

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo