The Education Forum

Phone call between Charles Colson and Howard Hunt Nov. 1972

Douglas Caddy

This call occurred a short time after Nixon had won re-election in November 1972.

Within a month afterward Dorothy Hunt was killed in a mysterious plane crash in Chicago. That changed everything. Hunt, a broken man, pleaded guilty the next month, January 1973, at the beginning of the first Watergate trial and in 1975 entered prison to serve over three years under a sentence handed down by Judge Sirica. The four Cuban-American burglars that Hunt had recruited also pleaded guilty. A few months later McCord, whom the jury found guilty at the first trial, wrote a letter to Judge Sirica that exposed the cover-up and hush money.

From the beginning of the case, when Hunt visited me in my residence in the early morning hours of June 17, 1972, and told me what had just happened at Watergate, I never believed the affair would turn out well. I told a few closest friends of my fear.

John Dean, the mastermind of the cover-up, misled President Nixon and those closest to him as to what was transpiring and thus gave them a false sense of security that everything would turn out fine. When it didn't, Dean was the first in line to protect himself and to implicate others at the expense of the President and the nation. Ultimately history will accurately record Dean's true role.

Thanks, Kathy. I had hoped by now to have finished writing the follow-up segment to my Watergate Memoir that I posted in the Forum last November.

But I recently caught a "bug" that is between the flu and an ordinary cold and it delayed my writing.

The follow-up segment, which is based on what Howard Hunt told me in 1975 just before he entered prison, contains information that is far outside of the mainstream thinking on both Watergate and the JFK assassination topics in the Forum. I must brace myself for the reaction to it.