The Education Forum

Logistic question: Are we having disk space problems?

Greg:

How can clicking a button that says "post" be a user error? How was I able to post this, with a very small image?

-Ramon F Herrera

Internet Pioneer and Co-Founder while at MIT

System Administrator for 30 Years

Holder of 2 Computer-Related Engineering Degrees

Author of Forum Software

Ramon,

I don't know, but I do not believe the issue is on my end. Sorry that I can't figure out the answer for you. According to your credentials, you must have worked heavily on creating the internet with Al Gore then. :idea

Perhaps you knew either my wife's dad who graduated from MIT with a doctorate degree in engineering or her eldest brother who did the same? Probably not. It's a big campus.

As for your original question, you asked if I used this forum as a reference for mine. I did not.

We had the original JFKresearch Assassination Forum (Rich dellaRosa'a) running on this same or similar IPB software when the software first came out. We started that forum in1998 using different software but then immediately changed to IPB when it became available. That was about a half dozen years or more before this forum was even started! So the answer is still no. I did not reference this forum when building my new one. I modeled it after our original forum from the early 2000's.

Edited by Greg Burnham

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ramon,

According to your credentials, you must have worked heavily on creating the internet with Al Gore then. :idea

No, I did not work with Senator Gore directly. My boss, Cecilia d'Oliveira, did.

Al Gore was inducted to the Internet Hall of Fame. The incredible lack of gratitude for his efforts is tragic (then again, he blew it, with his sloppy wording).

He was also appointed by his best friend, Steve Jobs, as Member of the Apple Board of Directors (with a healthy chunk of stock which went stratospheric).

-Ramon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore_and_information_technology

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/10/02/net_builders_kahn_cerf_recognise/

Edited by Ramon F. Herrera

Well, in any event, I hope that the uploading feature gets resolved for you. I know it must be frustrating. I will keep my radar sharp in case there is a solution I have missed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Greg, to be frank, I am doing this to help your site. I just opened another account, under the name "Piotr Mancini" and the limit for new users is 500KB.

Are you the only person who can modify things in your web site? Perhaps there was somebody else earlier?

-Ramon

I think I found the issue! Rich posts like this are really hosted elsewhere, in Photobucket.

http://patriot.net/~ramon/jfk/Brain-and-Skull-Detail.jpg

The Forum software is smart enough so the image is rendered locally (ie. no need for click) without the poster being penalized.

That is part of the explanation, and the reason poster David Joseph can post so many images.

Whoever designed the site, obviously left an unlimited quota for his boss/employer, Greg.

Edited by Ramon F. Herrera

Let's have this conversation in private. Use the PM on my forum or email me. Thanks. I will delete the fake account as it is a violation of forum policy.

lovely.

Ramon,

Are you still experiencing the same issue with the EF? We encourage people to link to Photobucket et al but you should still have ample space available to you to upload here.

Ramon,

Are you still experiencing the same issue with the EF? We encourage people to link to Photobucket et al but you should still have ample space available to you to upload here.

Evan,

Ramon has yet to confirm with me if I was successful in fixing the glitch for him on my forum. However, if I'm right, you should check the uploader settings in his profile from the admin panel under "Manage members." It should be set on "default uploader." It might be set on "flash uploader" now. The only two members of my forum that had the same problem also were the only two with the uploader set to flash. So I am assuming this will fix it, but I don't know for sure yet. It's also interesting that this setting should have automatically defaulted to "default," rather than "flash" if you get my drift. I don't know why it didn't.

[edit: my spellcheck "corrected" Evan and changed it to Even]

Edited by Greg Burnham

It is user error.

Greg:

How can clicking a button that says "post" be a user error? How was I able to post this, with a very small image?

-Ramon F Herrera

Internet Pioneer and Co-Founder while at MIT

System Administrator for 30 Years

Holder of 2 Computer-Related Engineering Degrees

Author of Forum Software

Ramon and all,

My apologies to Ramon for assuming that this glitch was user error. It was not.

I'd also like to thank you, Ramon, for your persistence, without which the problem would not yet have been resolved.

Ramon,

I am presuming, based on the previous post, that it is not the uploader setting? In any case, Ramon: can you advise if you still have the problem? If so, I'll see if we can determine what is causing it and get it sorted.

Cheers!

Edited to add: I checked the uploader and it was correctly set to 'Default'. Thank you for the tip anyways.

Edited by Evan Burton
Added comment

this is a server error.

well, ok, a configuration error.

Jupiter was not aligned properly last week and the deficits are only now appearing. Mars revealed its water, and ... hell, i'll refrain.

but i'm pretty sure it's a server error, as Greg has acknowledged (config errors == server errors).

;)

Edited by Glenn Nall

Update:

My solution failed. It only worked for the other member who tried it because they had enough space available for the small test image's size. This problem might be related to both forums' software updates. Sometimes updates "fix what ain't broke" until they break something. I'm still searching for a solution.

php.ini file, on the server, sometimes in the root, sometimes above the root folder...

[xxxx. i'm an idiot. this is only affecting two users? effin' wow. disregard the previous.]

Edited by Glenn Nall