The Education Forum

LBJ, J. Edgar Hoover and the JFK assassination conspiracy

Douglas Caddy

I'm guessing he's USArmy and those are the Bronze Oak Leaves of an O-5... but I could be wrong.

Glenn,

FWIW, Bronze Oak Leaves = Major = O-4 :sun

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess you were Navy??? :angel

Tom (former O-3 = ADM)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Armor, SGT E-5, at the time the picture was taken.

Chris,

Pardon the OT y'all, but since we're having some fun here...

I have an acquaintance who claims he made it from 'no stripes' to '3 up and 2 down'; E-7, (if memory serves)...in ONLY 3 years. This occurred in the late 60's. I'm unfamiliar as to how long it takes for typical promotions in the USA. Come to think of it he just said "Army" - he didn't say *whose* army...

After 3 years wouldn't he have been extremely lucky to have just made SGT on his way out the door?

TIA,

Tom

I have an acquaintance who claims he made it from 'no stripes' to '3 up and 2 down'; E-7, (if memory serves)...in ONLY 3 years.

No stripes = Private E-1 (generally only see this in Basic and AIT)

3 stripes up + 2 chevrons = Sgt. First Class (must have graduated Primary and Basic Non-Commissioned Officer Courses), Platoon Sergeant.

I went from E-1 to E-6 in six non-combat years 82-86 Reg. Army (Armor) and 88-90 FLNG (Infantry).

My grandfather (US Cavalry) went from E-1 to E-8 in one year in combat in Mexico 1916-1917 before getting commissioned as LT. in AEF (Silver Greyhounds) 1917-1918. So it's possible but unlikely unless theres a conflict.

Sorry about the off-topic-ness -Chris

Edited by Chris Newton

I have an acquaintance who claims he made it from 'no stripes' to '3 up and 2 down'; E-7, (if memory serves)...in ONLY 3 years.

I went from E-1 to E-6 in six non-combat years 82-86 Reg. Army (Armor) and 88-90 FLNG (Infantry).

So it's possible but unlikely unless theres a conflict.

He did not go to Vietnam, and had never been in combat, so it seems kinda unlikely...

Thanks, Chris!

And to all, apologies for the OT!

Tom