The Education Forum

Why CBS Covered up the JFK Case (pt1)

This has just gone up at ctka.net

It is easily, the most in depth, detailed, compelling examination of how a powerful broadcast network abased and humiliated itself before the figure of John McCloy. And at the same time, completely and utterly adulterated its allegiance to its own code of ethics, while concealing the true facts of the JFK murder.

We all owe a great deal of gratitude to the memory of the late Roger Feinman for this powerful expose of the American power structure and how it failed to work at a time of stress and pressure. As you read this, note that the people at the lower level, like Schorr, were completely run over by those at the top. And none of these guys, screamed. Until Roger did many years later.

Part 2 is coming soon.

http://www.ctka.net/2016/FeinmanCBS1.html

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One would have to have been a regular TV viewer back in the '60s to know how America trusted Uncle Walter Cronkite at CBS. When he signed off his newscast every night with "That's the way it is," you believed him. What a fraud, just another of life's disillusionments.

Edited by Ron Ecker

Thank you, James DiEugenio. This is a must read that is sure to shock & disgust a global audience. Some of the people (and their clones) James writes about in this analysis are responsible for ruining the MSM in the past, present & eventually the future (or their clones will be).

A few personal comments from the peanut gallery (me): Several of my Professors in college 'back in the day' consistently told me & my classmates that almost everything we see broadcast on TV is a lie. That includes cooking shows & home lawn care shows; the cooking shows don't show you the burnt food, the cut fingers, the damage to your body certain foods cause just as lawn care shows leave out cancer & other diseases that some lawn care chemicals expose happy homeowners with pretty yards to (not to mention the wildlife & their environment struggling to survive constant & consistant mini-nukings from lawn enthusiasts). It's all a farce, the learned ones told us back in class.

Spreading the influential farce pays well; it can make superstars out of some MSM folks. Google the net worth of Dan Rather, Anderson Cooper, Bill O'Reilly & many other famous & easily recognized TV news journalists to get an idea of just how well deceiving the global public pays off.

I am of the opinion that after many generations of being lied to on radio, TV & at the movie theatre, if our Creator were to someday speak to the human race on TV or radio, the general global public would doubt it's really our Creator speaking to them.

There was a time before I came along on this Earth when scoundrels were not rewarded by being made multi-millionaires or kept in power slots; it was more along the lines of the formula: rope + tree + scoundrel = justice

I anticipate part 2. Great job done, Mr. DiEugenio!

fwiw

BM

Edited by Brad Milch

If CBS News was in "cover-up" mode during their 4-part 1967 series, "A CBS News Inquiry: The Warren Report" (as many conspiracy theorists believe was the case), and if CBS decided NOT to do any kind of a "fair and balanced program" at all, as Jim DiEugenio suggests, then how come interviews with witnesses like Carolyn Walther managed to make it to the TV screen during that CBS documentary?

Walther said she saw TWO men in the Sniper's Nest just before the shooting. So, if she's correct, there's your conspiracy right there. But CBS didn't silence Mrs. Walther at all. She was given ample time to tell her story—on camera—in the CBS News special. And the same goes for Arnold Rowland, another witness CTers like a whole lot.

Plus, Jim Garrison is provided quite a bit of air time in Part 3 of the CBS series as well. He speaks his mind freely about the alleged conspiracy and cover-up that he thinks took place.

So it sure looks to me like the "conspiracy" side of the story was being given a lot of air time and ample room to breathe during the CBS four-part program.

But, I guess some conspiracy theorists would still complain even if you hung them with a brand spanking new rope.

Go figure. ~shrug~

In short, it's my opinion that the CBS-TV special on the Warren Report that aired for four consecutive nights in June of 1967 is one of the best and most in-depth programs ever done concerning the assassination of President Kennedy. CBS News conducted its own investigation, re-interviewed key witnesses (even some witnesses who said they saw things that could lead to a conclusion that a conspiracy existed to kill JFK), and CBS even built its own 60-foot-high tower and moving track in order to re-create the shooting from the proper height and speed of the automobile (which is something even the Warren Commission didn't do nearly as well as CBS News).

Text excerpts from "A CBS News Inquiry: The Warren Report"....

WALTER CRONKITE -- "We have shown, by carefully-controlled experiments, that a Mannlicher-Carcano rifle CAN be fired more rapidly and accurately than the [Warren] Commission believed.

Now these points strengthen the Warren Report's basic finding. They make it MORE likely that Oswald shot the President. They significantly weaken a central contention of the critics....their contention that Oswald could NOT have done it because he did not have enough time to fire.

It is now reasonable to assume that the first shot, fired through a tree, missed its mark....and that it was this shot that Governor Connally heard. The Governor has insisted all along that he was not struck by the first shot. It now appears he was correct. Now we can answer all our secondary questions ---

Did Oswald own a rifle? .... He did.

Did Oswald take a rifle to the Book Depository Building? .... He did.

Where was Oswald when the shots were fired? .... In the building, on the sixth floor.

Was Oswald's rifle fired from the building? .... It was.

How many shots were fired? .... Three.

How fast could Oswald's rifle be fired? .... Fast enough.

What was the time span of the shots? .... Seven or eight seconds.

Did Lee Harvey Oswald shoot President Kennedy? .... CBS News concludes that he did."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ERIC SEVAREID -- "What fed the conspiracy notion about the Kennedy assassination among many Americans was the sheer incongruity of the affair. All that power and majesty wiped out in an instant by one skinny, weak-chinned little character. It was like believing that the Queen Mary had sunk without a trace because of a log floating somewhere in the Atlantic. Or that AT&T stock had fallen to zero because a drunk somewhere tore out his telephone wires. ....

And so, three-and-a-half years later, there are people who still think some group of men are living somewhere carrying in their breasts the most explosive secret conceivable....knowledge of a plot to kill Mr. Kennedy.

These imagined men supposedly go about their lives under iron self-discipline, never falling out with each other, never giving out a hint of suspicion to anyone else.

And nearly three years after the Warren inquiry finished its painful and onerous work, there are not only the serious critics who point to the various mistakes of commission or omission....mistakes of a consequence one can only guess at, and of a kind that have probably plagued every lengthy, voluminous official investigation ever staged. There are also people who think the Commission itself was a conspiracy to cover up something.

In the first place, it would be utterly impossible in the American arena of the fierce and free press and politics to conceal a conspiracy among so many individuals who live in the public eye.

In the second place, the deepest allegiance of men like Chief Justice Warren, or of John McCloy, does not lie with any president, political party, or current cause. It lies with history....their name and place in history. That is all they live for in their later years.

If they knowingly suppressed or distorted decisive evidence about such an event as a Presidential murder, their descendants would bear their accursed names forever. The notion that they would do such a thing is idiotic."

Edited by David Von Pein

If anything tells us how deep in denial DVP is, its the above rant.

No one here needs any more convincing of course, but its always nice to see the rabid dog drip his saliva on the sidewalk.

Two things that we are all aware of anyway:

1. He makes not one mention of the CNEC, the two lawyers who reversed the idea of giving equal time to the critics in a debate or mock trial format, McCloy's secret consultant status ( a violation of Standards and Practices at CBS), the Furness appointment, and Midgley's promotion. Mr. Censorship in alive and well in Indiana.

2. HIs rabid condition forced him to comment before part 2 came out, which does deal with the actual program.

Suffice it to say, if Davey went nuts over this, wait until he sees part 2.

Edited by James DiEugenio

Suffice it to say, if Davey went nuts over this, wait until he sees part 2.

Will Part 2 be titled "More Mountains Out Of CBS News Molehills", Jim?

Because Part 1 of your article, in my opinion, is certainly a lot of to-do about nothing.

So CBS decided to change the original format of its 1967 special. Big freakin' deal. For this, Jimbo crucifies CBS and everyone involved at CBS News. Pathetic.

But, as everyone who has taken the time to watch the 4-hour CBS program has got to know already, the topic of conspiracy is certainly not shut down and ignored by CBS News. Not by a longshot. Especially in Part 3, almost half of which is devoted solely to Jim Garrison's New Orleans investigation, with Garrison himself getting plenty of time to speak his mind in front of the CBS-TV cameras.

Plus, other noted conspiracy believers are given some air time in the CBS special as well, such as Dr. Cyril Wecht, Mark Lane, and Bill Turner.

Some cover-up by CBS there, huh?

Edited by David Von Pein

LOL

ROTF

:)

People like Dan Schorr, Midgley and Manning got steamrollered by the CNEC into completely reversing the proposal they made for either a mock trial or open debate.

And in fact, the CNEC was a quasi secret group to begin with. It was set up for the motive of stopping anyone at CBS from ever approaching the level of controversy that Edward R. Murrow got CBS embroiled in with McCarthy.

Now, is it not clear why Salant did what he did, that is referred it to the CNEC?

Or should I point out what Huddleson and Bayless then advised? Or did you miss that one? Reasons of "national security", "political implications". Understand Mr. Hoosier?

If someone like Salandria was on national TV in 1967 and explained the Single Bullet Fantasy, or the autopsy, to 40 million people, that is Murrow Country. And as Roger explained, the CNEC and Salant, contrary to what CBS said, did exercise control over the news division.

Bringing in McCloy secretly, through a back channel, is clear evidence of that. See if McCloy's name is on the series as a consultant. Salant was so deep in denial on this that he refused to acknowledge it. He then lied about it.

So if rabid Davy did not think it was a big deal, DIck Salant sure did. And he understood that if say, Vince Salandria got in front of 40 million people at once, and exposed what was in the Z film, and the impossible journey of the Magic Bullet, well then, you would have some serious problems for the credibility of the US government. Which LBJ was in the process of wrecking already in Vietnam.

And BTW, what Davy does not know is this: That interview with JG on CBS was the second interview with him. CBS decided to wash out the first one completely. Why? Because it was too effective. I know since I saw the transcript. So they brought in Wallace to make sure the public did not see it.

Talk about ignorance being bliss. Davey is the worst researcher I have ever seen.

If McAdams or Davison does not tell him something, he does not know it.

Davey is the worst researcher I have ever seen.

I'm not a "researcher" and I've never ever once claimed to be a "researcher". I'm merely a person who has been interested in the JFK case since 1981. That's all. Mostly, I react to and comment on all the stupid things CTers believe in relating to the death of the 35th U.S. President. And you, Jimmy, could keep me busy doing that until the year 2641. And, of course,

you have.

I think I'd rather be considered "the worst researcher I have ever seen" than to be the kind of ambulance-chasing "researcher" that you are, Jimmy. You see conspiracy everywhere. Under every rock. In the CBS "back channels". In the statements of Marrion Baker and Roy Truly. In Ruth Paine's calendar. In Howard Brennan (who is a witness that you don't think even viewed a line-up at the DPD at all! LOL!). In the autopsy report. Everywhere. Virtually every nook and cranny of this case is packed with nothing but conspiracy and cover-up, per James DiEugenio. Can it get any sillier than that?

Thank God I'm not you.

Edited by David Von Pein

DVP: I'm not a "researcher" and I've never ever once claimed to be a "researcher".

​You pontificate on this site and others like you have some insights into the case from the "other side". The truth is you have none.

​What I am doing is giving people new information about what really went on behind the scenes at the CBS special in 1967. Info that almost no one here has ever seen.

​That is research. And its important to know in order to understand why the 1967 special turned out as it did. And why CBS violated its own code of ethics.

You are such a bad researcher you cannot even tell time. Garrison was on camera in the CBS special for about 8: 20 seconds. How that is one half of one program can only be explained in the twilight regions of DVP's web site, right next to Rod Serling.

After JG was on, what did Wallace do? He told the public that NBC (Walter Sheridan) had given the real name of "Clay Bertrand" to the Justice Department. And it was not Clay Shaw.

​In other words, CBS never bothered to find out who this "name" was before they used the info to discredit Garrison. The name Sheridan gave to Justice was Eugene Davis. Who did not use the alias. And in fact was Shaw's pimp. That is the kind of show this was. They did the kind of "research" Davey does.

​But its worse than that. Because after this lie was broadcast, who did CBS bring on? Bill Gurvich. One of the plants in JG's office.

Hmm. That is one objective show isn't it?

BTW, if you want to see war kind of show this really was, and why it will live in journalistic infamy forever, take a look at the clip below:

The CNEC not only got Cronkite, Rather, and Barker to go along with their "national security " agenda, they even got the editorial side, in Eric Sevareid to go along with it.

Comparing the WC critics with those who insist that "Hitler Lives" was the good night kiss CBS gave the public. In other words, that is how someone like Sylvia Meagher should be regarded.

This show really was beyond the pale. It set a standard for others in the field, not only in its content, but in its methodology. That is, every canon in the journalistic textbook could be tossed aside in devotion to the national security aspect of the JFK case. And then, those who questioned the report were discounted, ridiculed, lied about, and then given "lunatic fringe" status.

Right then and there, CBS lost any self respect for the facts or the truth. Anyone who could read Accessories After the Fact, and not only completely shunt it aside, but could caricature it mercilessly, that person cannot be trusted.

Just like this special could not be trusted. It was a long con job.

And a conscious one. And those involved knew it as they did it. As we will see in Part 2.

You are such a bad researcher you cannot even tell time. Garrison was on camera in the CBS special for about 8 :20 seconds. How that is one half of one program can only be explained in the twilight regions of DVP's web site, right next to Rod Serling.

Learn to read, Jim. I never said Garrison himself was on camera for half of Part 3. Here's what I said....

"Jim Garrison is provided quite a bit of air time in Part 3 of the CBS series as well. He speaks his mind freely about the alleged conspiracy and cover-up that he thinks took place. .... As everyone who has taken the time to watch the 4-hour CBS program has got to know already, the topic of conspiracy is certainly not shut down and ignored by CBS News. Not by a longshot. Especially in Part 3, almost half of which is devoted solely to Jim Garrison's New Orleans investigation, with Garrison himself getting plenty of time to speak his mind in front of the CBS-TV cameras. (Some cover-up by CBS there, huh?)"

LOL, ROTF

Gurvich and Sheridan (via Walace) is devoting time to Garrison's investigation?

Incredible.

I just got some more info about those two lawyers that Salant sent Midgley to see.

The Stanford Dean, later became the president of the CFR, personally recruited by David Rockefeller.

Huddleson became an outside counsel to the Ford Foundation, where McCloy worked at one time.

BTW, I really urge everyone to watch the Sevareid closing talk.

It is truly hard to believe. Eric must have been looking forward to retirement, and wanted to stay on the good side of Paley.