The Education Forum

Dale Thorn

Guest Dale Thorn

Guest Dale Thorn

Bio: Hometown Akron OH, U.S. Army '66 - '69, lived in L.A. area from '81 to '07, currently in Charleston SC. From '92 to circa '97 developed a "JFK database" based on articles listed in attached 'Jfk.txt'.

My contribution to the database was software I developed to index the large body of text so words and topics could be looked up instantly. Nobody else has ever done a project like that, since the program supports multiple databases of different types and allows building new ones etc., and source code is included.

I can't vouch for all of the material in my collection, especially the Paul Hoch writing, but I included it because of names and places referenced. I have current reviews on Amazon for Mark Lane's Last Word and Fred Newcomb's Murder From Within. In 1992 and going forward I read about 35 books on the assassination. I once had a one-on-one debate with Kal Korff.

• 6 years later...
Guest Dale Thorn
On 1/5/2012 at 7:11 PM, Evan Burton said:

G'Day Dale, How did the software work: a complete word search, tags, or something else? Cheers and welcome,   Evan

The "database" is a collection of articles pasted together with logical or intelligent separators between each article, into a large plaintext file. Pasteups are extremely simple and automated - all that's required is for each article to have a relevant header and filename. Indexes are generated by an indexing program, which can be set to index each word (using an exclude list for "and", "the", etc.) or index phrases consisting of a defined number of words. I generate multiple indexes and then access each through a "carousel"-style menu. None of this was ever converted to Windows code, so the databases weren't sold after ca. 1999. Still, they do a lot more lots quicker in DOS.....

Access to the "database" is through the index screen that shows 40 or so results per screen surrounded by context, toggles to the actual text (which allows string/substring searches in the body of text) and returns to the index as needed. The toolset also allows creation of dictionaries, paragraph queries, etc.