The Education Forum

Boycott of The Nation Magazine

Today on part 2 of their series on The CIA and the Nation Magazine Ralph Schoenman and Mya Shone called for a boycott of The Nation Magazine. This is a left-liberal magazine that has been accused by some of being a playing a "left-gatekeeping" role for the CIA regarding the Kennedy Assassination and 9/11.

I think a boycott of this magazine could have an impact for the same reason that it might prove attractive to the CIA: it is in a niche market, and its significance is more in its strategic postion on the media-political-spectrum, than in its circulation.

YES! It's not just me!

I've boycotted The Nation for years, and recently concluded they're CIA, or as good as. In fact I sent them a letter in 2003 telling them of my boycott (I was briefly a subscriber) after they smeared General Clark, clearly trying to keep an "outsider" from getting power in DC. It was a loooong letter; of course they only published a short excerpt:

"I read "Clark's True Colors" with an open mind, figuring that if The Nation had criticism of General Clark, it was of interest. But after reading it, I had the same opinion of Wesley Clark but a much lowered opinion of The Nation. I'm disgusted to see you using the gossipy smear tactics used by the radical right to discredit Anita Hill in the confirmation hearings for Clarence Thomas. Since you've demonstrated that your journalistic standards are down there with Fox "news," which I boycott, I'll boycott The Nation as well.

MYRA BRONSTEIN"

(I think Matt Taibbi wrote the blatant smear. Any opinion on him?)

That's it. I think The Nation should be featured in John's propaganda/disinfo section. I wonder how they'll smear Wes this time. He's running...

Today on part 2 of their series on The CIA and the Nation Magazine Ralph Schoenman and Mya Shone called for a boycott of The Nation Magazine. This is a left-liberal magazine that has been accused by some of being a playing a "left-gatekeeping" role for the CIA regarding the Kennedy Assassination and 9/11.

I think a boycott of this magazine could have an impact for the same reason that it might prove attractive to the CIA: it is in a niche market, and its significance is more in its strategic postion on the media-political-spectrum, than in its circulation.

YES! It's not just me!

I've boycotted The Nation for years, and recently concluded they're CIA, or as good as. In fact I sent them a letter in 2003 telling them of my boycott (I was briefly a subscriber) after they smeared General Clark, clearly trying to keep an "outsider" from getting power in DC. It was a loooong letter; of course they only published a short excerpt:

"I read "Clark's True Colors" with an open mind, figuring that if The Nation had criticism of General Clark, it was of interest. But after reading it, I had the same opinion of Wesley Clark but a much lowered opinion of The Nation. I'm disgusted to see you using the gossipy smear tactics used by the radical right to discredit Anita Hill in the confirmation hearings for Clarence Thomas. Since you've demonstrated that your journalistic standards are down there with Fox "news," which I boycott, I'll boycott The Nation as well.

MYRA BRONSTEIN"

(I think Matt Taibbi wrote the blatant smear. Any opinion on him?)

That's it. I think The Nation should be featured in John's propaganda/disinfo section. I wonder how they'll smear Wes this time. He's running...

The program was specifically devoted to the role of Max Holland, a Nation editorial board member, who has also been published by journals run by the CIA and on the CIA's website.

What do members think of this strategy?

Do you think it is possible--given Operation Mockingbird and the history of the CIA and "left" publications-- that the CIA is embedded in The Nation?

The program, which is very easily downloadable by googling Taking Aim, makes much of The Book The Sword and the Shield, which it claims is work of CIA disinformation, designed to show that the Italian Communist Newspaper quoted by some JFK researchers in reference to CLay Shaw, was a tool of the U.S.S.R. Schoenman makes a strong case that this was not the case, and suggests that The Nation is aware

the Max Holland is deliberately practicing disinformation in using this book as a source.

I have been thinking of The Nation in this light for some time, not just with reference to Max Holland. Someone who has always made me suspicious is David Corn, whose appologetics for the zombie like DLC-DNC has always seemed incongrous with the magazine's "left image"

Has anyone here read Corn's bio of Ted Shackley called Blond Ghost? What do you think of it? Someone recently told me they thought it was an extended puff piece.

Blurb on David Corn re 911:

"The possibility that the president of the United States would either allow an attack on Americans to further a political agenda is so horrifying that many reject the possibility out of hand. David Corn of The Nation stated a common reaction when he said "the notion that the U.S. government either detected the attacks but allowed them to occur, or, worse, conspired to kill thousands of Americans to launch a war-for-oil in Afghanistan is absurd."

Corn writes that "to execute the simultaneous destruction of the two towers, a piece of the Pentagon, and four airplanes and make it appear as if it all was done by another party -- is far beyond the skill level of U.S. intelligence." Beyond the capability of the military-intelligence establishment with hundreds of billions of dollars to spend every year, but the operation was not, according to the official story, beyond the powers of a Muslim extremist operating in a cave in Afghanistan.

Obviously someone did it and it was a very impressive operation. We are told it was Osama bin Laden, and perhaps it was. Corn, like most Americans, is more comfortable believing his government would never be capable of failing to act to protect its own people. History clearly shows otherwise."

http://www.davidcogswell.com/Essays/Northwoods911.html