The Education Forum

So, I'm watching Oswald with a bomb strapped to his chest

In case your wondering, Nalim,* according to two writers regarding Oswald's Russian period, was the KGB cryptonym or nickname for Lee Harvey Oswald. Ostensibly, it means eel-like, turbo or riverfish.

* Oswald's Tale: An American Mystery - Norman Mailer see glossary of names page xviii

Passport to Assassination - Oleg Nechiporenko page 54

Much ado was made when the former Soviet Union officially turned over their files on Lee Harvey Oswald during the aftermath of perestroika.

Although much anticipated amongst JFK research circles, as well as historians, academics and the US government, there was a feeling amongst the more cynical of us, that there might have been somethings best left out, and was.

With that in mind, I thought it might be interesting to take a look at the passage below from Passport to Assassination.

To the best of my knowledge, Mailer does not cite it, I can find no US government documents, i.e. Oswald's 201 file or elsewhere, which make even a oblique reference to it. It may not actually even be in the KGB Files, but it is definitely in Colonel Nechiporenko's book.....

Who is to say that it is definitively true or untrue, unless one was a KGB agent monitoring Oswald at the time, no-one can really say so either way, the point is, "if it is true, it would mean that it appears we might not know everything, there is to know about Lee Oswald's Russian sojourn."

Passport to Assassination pg 62, by Nechiporenko, Oleg M. (1993)

In judging the second round up to this point, Oswald scored by obtaining permission to leave the USSR. The KGB knew that the former Marine was not a spy and that he was of no use as a Soviet spy.

The family received permission to leave on December 25. If this was their joyous Christmas present from the KGB, then Oswald came up with a New Years surprise in return.

Days before the new year, operatives had uncovered that Nalim had a new pastime. He had decided to build bombs. This was not a hypothetical hobby since he had already built two iron casings one box-shaped and the other cylindrical. Each contained two compartments; one filled with shot and the other with explosives. He had also prepared paper-type fuses, 4-5 centimeters long and 2 millimeters in diameter. They were to be filled with gunpowder, with the fuse designed to last approximately two

seconds.

Nalim concealed his new toys from his wife and stored them at home. Nothing related to the construction of the bombs was done at the factory, where it would have undoubtedly attracted attention. As recently as November it had been decided at the highest levels that Oswald was not involved in espionage activities.

Now this bizarre activity. The KGB did not know what to make of it. The possibility could not be excluded that Nalim would commit a last hostile act before his departure from the Soviet Union. Based on this development, surveillance levels against Nalim had to be increased especially before different celebrations, congresses and high-level political meetings.

On January 3, 1962, Oswald was observed leaving his apartment with a wrapped parcel which he clutched tightly to his chest The parcel clearly contained his single-barrel rifle.

To the consternation of his fellow passengers, he boarded a streetcar with the rifle in plain sight. He ended up pawning it at a sporting goods store for eighteen rubles.

The rifle had originally been prominently displayed on a wall in his apartment, but lately it had been gathering dust in a closet. Oswald told his friends that he had tired of hunting and preferred fishing. Just as it appeared Nalim's behavior had become more quirky and unsettling, it was learned he could not obtain sufficient powerful explosives for his "home-made toys."

He ultimately threw out the bomb housing, thereby bringing his "hobby to an unclimactic close.The KGB was greatly relieved, but it did not discount the possibility of another weird act before his departure.

Edited by Robert Howard

In case your wondering, Nalim,* according to two writers regarding Oswald's Russian period, was the KGB cryptonym or nickname for Lee Harvey Oswald. Ostensibly, it means eel-like, turbo or riverfish.

* Oswald's Tale: An American Mystery - Norman Mailer see glossary of names page xviii

Passport to Assassination - Oleg Nechiporenko page 54

Much ado was made when the former Soviet Union officially turned over their files on Lee Harvey Oswald during the aftermath of perestroika.

Although much anticipated amongst JFK research circles, as well as historians, academics and the US government, there was a feeling amongst the more cynical of us, that there might have been somethings best left out, and was.

With that in mind, I thought it might be interesting to take a look at the passage below from Passport to Assassination.

To the best of my knowledge, Mailer does not cite it, I can find no US government documents, i.e. Oswald's 201 file or elsewhere, which make even a oblique reference to it. It may not actually even be in the KGB Files, but it is definitely in Colonel Nechiporenko's book.....

Who is to say that it is definitively true or untrue, unless one was a KGB agent monitoring Oswald at the time, no-one can really say so either way, the point is, "if it is true, it would mean that it appears we might not know everything, there is to know about Lee Oswald's Russian sojourn."

Passport to Assassination pg 62, by Nechiporenko, Oleg M. (1993)

In judging the second round up to this point, Oswald scored by obtaining permission to leave the USSR. The KGB knew that the former Marine was not a spy and that he was of no use as a Soviet spy.

The family received permission to leave on December 25. If this was their joyous Christmas present from the KGB, then Oswald came up with a New Years surprise in return.

Days before the new year, operatives had uncovered that Nalim had a new pastime. He had decided to build bombs. This was not a hypothetical hobby since he had already built two iron casings one box-shaped and the other cylindrical. Each contained two compartments; one filled with shot and the other with explosives. He had also prepared paper-type fuses, 4-5 centimeters long and 2 millimeters in diameter. They were to be filled with gunpowder, with the fuse designed to last approximately two

seconds.

Nalim concealed his new toys from his wife and stored them at home. Nothing related to the construction of the bombs was done at the factory, where it would have undoubtedly attracted attention. As recently as November it had been decided at the highest levels that Oswald was not involved in espionage activities.

Now this bizarre activity. The KGB did not know what to make of it. The possibility could not be excluded that Nalim would commit a last hostile act before his departure from the Soviet Union. Based on this development, surveillance levels against Nalim had to be increased especially before different celebrations, congresses and high-level political meetings.

On January 3, 1962, Oswald was observed leaving his apartment with a wrapped parcel which he clutched tightly to his chest The parcel clearly contained his single-barrel rifle.

To the consternation of his fellow passengers, he boarded a streetcar with the rifle in plain sight. He ended up pawning it at a sporting goods store for eighteen rubles.

The rifle had originally been prominently displayed on a wall in his apartment, but lately it had been gathering dust in a closet. Oswald told his friends that he had tired of hunting and preferred fishing. Just as it appeared Nalim's behavior had become more quirky and unsettling, it was learned he could not obtain sufficient powerful explosives for his "home-made toys."

He ultimately threw out the bomb housing, thereby bringing his "hobby to an unclimactic close.The KGB was greatly relieved, but it did not discount the possibility of another weird act before his departure.

Robert, forget about the bomb. All the talk of gunpowder and fuses etc is pure BS. One of his friends was into making radios. Those boxes were most likely Oswald attempting to make one, as well. The idea that Oswald would risk not getting out of the USSR alive is totally absurd.

The other aspects of this post are what I find intriguing --- and extremely important. Thanks for posting - very helpful to me at this particular time.

Robert, forget about the bomb. All the talk of gunpowder and fuses etc is pure BS. One of his friends was into making radios. Those boxes were most likely Oswald attempting to make one, as well. The idea that Oswald would risk not getting out of the USSR alive is totally absurd.

Bingo!

Nice to see Mr. Parker making sense for a change.

Bingo!

Greg, I tend to agree, I suppose it should be considered logic to have the audacity to hope someone "in the know" ie Nechiporenko would actually have the desire to tell the truth about Oswald. I wanted to post this, if for no other reason, than to show something a lot of persons probably havent had an opportunity to see, unless one has Passport to Assassination, credibility of is another story but there are certain parts [especially his comments re the husky 35 year old man captured on camera in MC, the one that they showed Margeruite, that she said was Ruby], that haven't received much exposure, I may seem like a fool, but I find his tome more compelling than Mailer's, although it obviously has credibility issues.

Although that is damning with faint praise. If the post was of interest to you, I am glad.

PS Do you remember, the guy in New Orleans who said he saw Oswald walking backwards down the street, also said he found weapons in the....I guess Magazine Street address, after the Oswald's vacated it? It's on a thread here somewhere.....

Kind of, more of the same........I suppose

Cheers

Edited by Robert Howard

Bingo!

Greg, I tend to agree, I suppose it should be considered logic to have the audacity to hope someone "in the know" ie Nechiporenko would actually have the desire to tell the truth about Oswald. I wanted to post this, if for no other reason, than to show something a lot of persons probably havent had an opportunity to see, unless one has Passport to Assassination, credibility of is another story but there are certain parts [especially his comments re the husky 35 year old man captured on camera in MC, the one that they showed Margeruite, that she said was Ruby], that haven't received much exposure, I may seem like a fool, but I find his tome more compelling than Mailer's, although it obviously has credibility issues.

Although that is damning with faint praise. If the post was of interest to you, I am glad.

PS Do you remember, the guy in New Orleans who said he saw Oswald walking backwards down the street, also said he found weapons in the....I guess Magazine Street address, after the Oswald's vacated it? It's on a thread here somewhere.....

Cheers

Robert, I can't find the info, but I think it was Titovets who made his own radios and showed Oswald how. I don't have "Passport to Assassination", but with a couple of exceptions, even the worst books have some things in them that are worthwhile.

Sorry; I don't recall the guy who claimed to see Oswald walking backwards or anything about anyone finding weapons in the abandoned apartment.

The information you've posted here is of great interest to me. Don't want to discuss it just yet, but the noose, from my viewpoint, is ever tightening around certain individuals.

PS Do you remember, the guy in New Orleans who said he saw Oswald walking backwards down the street,

All you Oswald accusers make me laugh!

How is Robert an "Oswald accuser" because someone saw him walking backwards down the street?

Of course walking backwards is one technique used to throw off pursuers, and is standard training fare at Camp Perry,

the Farm, though I don't believe Oswald was ever there.

Oswald was certainly a curious character without accusing him of anything, especially killing anyone.

I have looked at the Russian book - and found nothing worth while - except perhaps that Oswald took his pistol with him.

Is there any other evidence he did besides the Ruskies saying he showed it to them?

Bk

Bingo!

Cheers

Robert, I can't find the info, but I think it was Titovets who made his own radios and showed Oswald how. I don't have "Passport to Assassination", but with a couple of exceptions, even the worst books have some things in them that are worthwhile.

Sorry; I don't recall the guy who claimed to see Oswald walking backwards or anything about anyone finding weapons in the abandoned apartment.

The information you've posted here is of great interest to me. Don't want to discuss it just yet, but the noose, from my viewpoint, is ever tightening around certain individuals.

It was Golovachev who knew about radios. (Titovets has nothing to do with radios. He was the friend studying to be a neuroscientist.)

DSL

Bingo!

Cheers

It was Golovachev who knew about radios. (Titovets has nothing to do with radios. He was the friend studying to be a neuroscientist.)

DSL

Thanks for the correction.

This is what I was referencing see post 52 on the Lee Harvey Oswald thread. I have reposted it here

An Unfounded Observation about Lee Oswald?

I have read many allegations about Lee Harvey Oswald, many true and some utterly ridiculous. Regarding the latter, there is the example that he was a "card carrying member of the Communist Party." Even being a member of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee, is not the same a being a member of the Communist Party.

Which leads me to the following allegation made by Charlie Kertz. It is an extremely important allegation, for reasons that will become obvious after reading the following.....From Benson's Who's Who in the JFK Assassination.

SOURCE: HSCA Report 65.6 KERTZ, CHARLIE, Oswald witness; founder of the New Orleans Charlie's Saints Marching Band. Kertz was the deputy constable who, in 1963, evicted Oswald from his apartment at 4907 Magazine Street. Kertz said to New Orleans Times-Picayune columnist Angus Lind in 1991. "It was a Friday afternoon, and it was very unusual to evict someone on a Friday afternoon." According to Lind, "Kertz said he confronted Oswald with the order to evict, showed him his credentials and told him to get his personal belongings out of the furnished apartment; otherwise they would be placed on the sidewalk, routine eviction procedure." "The guy was so weird," said Kertz. "He didn't say a word. There was a woman with him who had a child. He came down the steps, took a right, and headed toward Audubon Park." After that, Kertz never saw him again. According to Lind, "[Kertz] and another constable went in, put a baby bed and some clothes on the sidewalk, then opened a closet and found three rifles. They unloaded them and put them out on the sidewalk. They then removed about 30 paperbacks from the closet. . . .and underneath them were two handguns, which they unloaded and put under the mattress of the baby bed. Kertz said he figured Oswald was "some kind of hunter." Neighbors of Oswald's when he lived at the Magazine Street apartment in New Orleans remember him as an odd duck. There are reports Oswald was often seen walking backwards.

Re the above there are 0 hits when searching Charlie Kertz, at NARA same goes for Angus Lind at NARA

Re the above there are 80 hits when searching New Orleans Times Picayune at NARA see below

http://www.nara.gov/...884/jfksnew.txt

END

Getting back to Nechiporenko, and the whole Oswald in Russia angle. One aspect of Nechiporenko's book which I do find very interesting is his account of LIOVAL-1

see page 272 including footnote

Re Photograph of "Mystery Man" taken by LILINK/LIEMPTY surveillance cameras in Mexico City (Warren Commission Exhibit 237). The account of the person photographed by the Robotstar Pulse camera [is explained by him as follows, which I find worth noting:

When I first saw the photograph which did not resemble Oswald in the slightest, it produced some vague associations, but nothing concrete. Later looking at three blowups of the individual dressed in similar and different clothing, something began to stir in my memory. The person in the photograph was a former American serviceman, discharged for reasons of health. I cannot remember the date and purpose of his first visit to our embassy, but in our conversations with him, it became clear that he was psychologically disturbed. Subsequently, he came to see us several times, and the intervals between each visit increased......

END

Here is a document re KOSTIKOV

TUMBLEWEED

MEMORANDUM FOR: Director

Federal Bureau of Investigation

SUBJECT: TUMBLEWEED

Zeplocage - R

1. Reference is made to information passed verbally on 19 February 1963 by Mr. Sam Papich regarding the subject of your file # 65-65652.

2. The description of the Soviet Case Officerwhom subject met during his recent visit to Mexico fit quite accurately with that of Valeriy Viadintrovich KOSTIKOV, an attache to the Soviet Embassy in Mexico City, Consular Office, Visa Section. In addition we have confirmation of the date that KOSTIKOV was involved in an auto accident in Vermorez on 6 January 1963. Following is the descriptive and biographic data we have on KOSTIKOV:

Date of Birth: 17 March 1933

Place of Birth: Moscow, USSR

Wife: Noen Aleksandravon KOSTIKOV (2 March 1932 Archangel, Oblast

Daughter: Svetlana Valerliyevna KOSTIKOV (1959 Moscow)

Arrived in Mexico with his wife and daughter on 19 September 1961

Language: Excellent Spanish, good English

Graduated from Moscow Institute of Foreign Languages

Traveled quite extensively between 1958 and 1960 using passport p 8 39990.....issued in Moscow on 10 July 1958.

In 1958 he was in Madrid and Barcelona, listed as an interpreter. He again traveled to Madrid in 1959 was scheduled as a member of Khruschev's party to the U.G. In September 1959; attended the Soviet Exhibition in Mexico City in November 1959; and went to the Soviet Exhibition in Havana in Jamuary-February 1960; He returned to Europe in March 1960

traveling from Cuba via the U.S.

2. KGB Officer who associates with known KGB officers in Mexico City.

3. We are submitting herewith a photograph of KOSTIKOV and request that it be shown to TUMBLEWEED for confirmation of identity.

4. We would appreciate receiving additional details of TUMBLEWEED's visit to Mexico and any further information you may have on his Soviet Case Officer

FOR THE DEPUTY DIRECTOR (PLANS) :

Signed James Angleton

JAMES ANGLETON

Distribution

Orig. & 1 - Addressee

1 - CI/Liason

1 - CI/DA

1 - CI/OG/SS

1 - Comeback

1 - RE Files SE New File 201-248427 & 201-305052

1 - SR/CI/RSD

1 -SR/CI/PPL/dl

END

Home/Archive/Documents/JFK Assassination Documents/JFK Documents - Central Intelligence Agency/HSCA Segregated CIA Collection (microfilm)/HSCA Segregated CIA Collection (microfilm - reel 9: Hernandez - Loganov)/

NARA Record Number: 104-10173-10121

1. Reference is made to information passed verbally on illegible February 1963 by Mr. Sam Papich regarding the subject of your file #65-65652.

2. The description of the Soviet Case Officer whom subject sat during his recent visit to Mexico fits quite accurately with that of Valeriy Vladimirovich KOSTIKOV, an attache in the Soviet Embassy in Mexico City Consular Office Visa Section. In addition we have confirmation of the fact that KOSTIKOV was involved in an auto accident in Vermores on 6 January 1963.

Following is the descriptive and biographic data we have on KOSTIKOV:

3. We are submitting herewith a photograph of KOSTIKOV and request that it be shown to TUMBLEWEED

for confirmation of our identification.

4. We would appreciate receiving additional details of TUMBLEWEED's visit to Mexico and any further

information you may have on his Soviet Case Officer.

FOR THE DEPUTY DIRECTOR [Plans] Signed James Angleton

James Angleton

http://www.maryferre....do?docId=25001

AEBURBLE according to maryferrell.org

AE BURBLE

Stateside Soviet double-agent controlled by the FBI, and code-named TUMBLEWEED by the FBI.

Actual name Guenter Schulz. AEBURBLE (TUMBLEWEED)'s information was what made the

connection between Valeriy Kostikov and the KGB's "Department 13."

I for one, never realized ANGLETON had so much involvement in the MEXI files, although I know he was

even independent off stuff he was responsible for was endless re Soviet Division/Counter Intelligence

I always associated documents, he signed off on etc., as Soviet...

His diary recovery operations were, of course invaluable.....

Below is something worth keeping in the back of one's mind

Commission Document 268 - FBI Hosty Jr Report of 30 Dec 1963 DALLAS FBI REPORT re: Ruth Paine...misc records of Ruth & Michael Paine... Ruth is interviewed re Russian Pen Pals there were four of them who were to come to Philadelphia, Penn. in 1958, one didn't show up; she didn't recall the other 3 names but two had the first name of Vladimir, and she called them Big Vladimir and Little Vladimir, says she met them at a party one night....she also corresponded with a Soviet girl named Nina Atrarina....

http://www.maryferre....do?docId=10671

All for now.....

Edited by Robert Howard

Guest Tom Scully

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=659&view=findpost&p=160765

I guess I am confused. Robert, are you saying that the (mis)information sourced from KGB files accusing Oswald of intending to make bombs, is in any way related to the details in the Kertz eviction story or the walking backwards?

I'm trying to figure out if you think there might be a coordinated, international pattern of misinformation, or not, and whether your opinion of three years ago has changed?

I have no idea what Greg is excited about, and I guess now is not the time he will elaborate.

http://educationforu...ndpost&p=160765

I guess I am confused. Robert, are you saying that the (mis)information sourced from KGB files accusing Oswald of intending to make bombs, is in any way related to the details in the Kertz eviction story or the walking backwards?

I'm trying to figure out if you think there might be a coordinated, international pattern of misinformation, or not, and whether your opinion of three years ago has changed?

I have no idea what Greg is excited about, and I guess now is not the time he will elaborate.

No, I am not saying that at all, the only reason I posted the Kertz/eviction story with the walking backwards episode, is because I referenced it without a link; that's all.

• 2 months later...

Whoever is the source of this description and or the layout of Oswalds apartment, and travel path out of such, has never been there! I have, and if you come down the stairs and make a right, you will hit a cyclone fence, if you go past that you will hit the building next door, where his landlord lived. This whole thing IMO, is bull-pucky. :blink:

-Bill

• 5 years later...
On 6/26/2011 at 8:12 PM, Robert Howard said:

Cheers

I figure all "official" information about Oswald which comes out of Russia must be true.

LOL

--  Tommy :sun

• 2 weeks later...