The Education Forum

ICT in the Classroom: Current Good Practice

John Simkin

David writes:

We forget sometimes how much East-West exchange of information about CALL preceded the fall of communism.

Indeed - and was actually taking place in the week following the opening of the Berlin Wall, namely: The CALL conference at the University of Rostock, organised by Edith Buchholz, 15-17 November 1989. I was there, presenting the Expodisc interactive videodisc package. I intended to write a report on the conference, but it turned into an eye-witness account of the fall of the Berlin Wall:

http://www.camsoftpartners.co.uk/berlin.htm

I guess we all got a bit distracted by the amazing events taking place around us as we tried to get on with the serious business of our conference ;)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Wilson writes

I have a research interest in the application of information and communication technology (ICT) to the teaching of languages to learners with special educational needs. Have you published any papers describing how your Dilemmatic Grammar has actually been used with LD, ASD and SPD foreign language learners? If so, I would like to include references to them in my online bibliography of modern foreign languages and special educational needs at

http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/mfl/biblio.doc

Att David Wilson

Please consult a case study

http://www.ilsgroup.hu/ilsgroup.php?in=ittdc/ldc

re the use of Dilemmatic Grammar with LD.

Best regards

Leslie

Edited by leslie simonfalvi

Att David Wilson

Please consult a case study

http://www.ilsgroup.hu/ilsgroup.php?in=ittdc/ldc

re the use of Dilemmatic Grammar with LD.

Best regards

Leslie

Thank you, Leslie. I have uploaded the reference to my bibliography at

http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/mfl/biblio.doc

A fascinating and detailed description of the subject. The case-study approach is one of the best ways of identifying and supporting special educational needs.

David

www.ena.lu is an internet site, aimed at secondary and higher education, covering the history of a united Europe. On it, teachers and students can find a vast array of material that differs widely in both geographical origin and ideological approach. Where did the idea for this site come from? In the early nineteen-nineties, Europe was frequently in the news and a popular subject for politicians – notably as a result of the debates regarding the Treaty on European Union. Such debates often took the form of diatribes between experts, and the average citizen felt excluded by the institutional line of argument pursued by those taking part.

This realisation led to a desire to familiarise the citizen with the history of Community Europe. The idea was that, by confronting the citizen with the events of his past, he would be in a better position to understand the Europe of today. In so far as today’s students will be the voters and professionals of tomorrow and thus will be given an introduction to the European institutions, this seemed to be the ideal target. The progress made in data processing would make diffusion easier, as well as permit features to be specially adapted for use in the classroom.

Towards the end of the nineteen-nineties, ENA first saw the light in Cd-Rom form before finding its definitive place on the internet. When we first suggested to teachers that ENA might be used in the classroom, the reaction was mixed: marked personal interest in the subject-matter, but great scepticism regarding its use in the classroom. The reason most frequently given was to do with equipment. For a large number of teachers the term ICT is still associated with the ‘computer room’ that needs to be reserved in the secretary’s office several weeks beforehand, and where most of the time at least one of the terminals does not work – thus requiring the services of the technician.

Well, it is not necessary to have a computer room in order to use ENA. A computer connected to a printer enables users to exploit much of the documentary resources by printing them either onto paper, or onto transparencies for an overhead projector to be used later on in the classroom. The teacher can also connect his laptop to a projector in order to show documents to the students, or ask them to prepare, either at home or in the library, a report or a commentary on the document. Having considered the various options, most of the teachers that we met decided to go ahead and integrate ENA in their courses whilst adapting its use to their own teaching methods.

• 1 month later...

I received this from Democracy Now! the American online radio and TV show:

Are you a professor, teacher, student, or community organizer, who uses

the Democracy Now! (DN!) program as a teaching tool? Do you use the on line

DN!

search engine for content about a specific subject? Do you show individual

programs in classes or meetings? Do you incorporate the daily show into

your curriculum or issue-based campaign? Have you found other creative ways

to use DN! as an educational resource?

We are gathering information to offer DN! as a resource to educational

institutions and programs. Note we also offer copies of the show in

several formats at a 50% discount to educators. Please share your experiences