The Education Forum

General Walker : a 'pauper'?

John Dolva

Gene

You honor me with the amount of time you have spent reading many of my posts.

Some quick thoughts on your post:

The trailing of Oswald by the FBI/Helms double team begins shortly after the attempted assassination of Walker and was based upon an event (handing out pro Castro leaflets in Dallas) that J. P. Hosty believed never occured (Hosty believed that if this event had actually occured he would have known about it long before receiving a memo generated by a tip from confidential informant T-2).

Thought: I suggest that there were those that did figure out that it was Oswald that may have shot at Walker......Walker himself assumed that this had occured and that it may have been Bobby Kennedy that let Oswald go...so I don't believe that I am that far out in this thought. Those same people would have been the ones to burn Walker as soon as they knew Oswald was returning to the US because they knew that Oswald might be able to identify Walker as the man who helped Oswald into the Soviet Union. This sequence of events is pivital to the theory. Those who had used Oswald to scuttle the Summit had to cover themselves by burning Walker. When Walker was shot at those same people could slap themselves on the back that they were correct...but now they had a man that, with the psych evaluations you know they would have had, would know that they had a, as McCloy would say, an agent that had gone bad.

I have identified two missions that Walker did during WWII that McCloy took a direct interest in.....but it is the McCloy - Taylor, Taylor - Walker, Taylor - Walker connections that make sense.....I'm not sure Walker was in the loop but believe strongly that Taylor and McCloy were.

There was a sex scandal unfolding in august of 1963 that involved kennedy. If Kennedy had lived that scandal may have led to his defeat in the upcomming presidential election. In a meeting with Eisenhower McCloy lamented that there was no Republican that he thought would make a good President and he was unhappy with Kennedy......He got the best of both worlds.

I will write more as time permits.

Jim Root

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim:

I also re-read the old threads about Taylor and the bay of pigs. Amazing retrospect... a scheme essentially to draw Kennedy (USA) into conflict with Cuba... my best basketball analogy is the player who sets himself up to draw an offensive foul. Allow the invasion to stall - blood on the beach-head - and then bring on the full scale attack. But JFK didn't take the bait... and he also didn't succumb to similar tactics during the Cuban missile crisis. Fast-forward to bizarre Northwoods schemes, escalation in Vietnam, Central American intrigues. His administration was literally at war with the generals...at war with the national security establishment.

Who was the 'Michael Jordan' of that crowd, at the time? Answer: John J. McCloy. I'm convinced.

I'm still struggling mightily with Taylor... friend of the Kennedy's, pallbearer for RFK, war hero/JCS Chair.. American hero, right? No disparaging words.. no black marks, no black marbles rolled into his personnel file. Almost too clean... and he quietly morphs into the sunset of the 70's as Nixon and the war die a slow death in our national consciousness. What do they say... old soldiers don't die, they just quietly fade away? But I am seriously biased by the quote of his distant relative who described him as a well trained sophisticated spy.

And J.J. Angleton was apparently running poor Oswald (Lee, Harvey, both...) A lone nut indeed... a tragic American 'legend' (in all intelligence aspects of the word). Perhaps he is at the unwitting center of everything important that happened during the 2nd half of the 20th century! I'm starting to believe he was a tragic hero... a guy who tried to stop some really perverted bad men, but ended up a dead patsy. What in God's name does Marina Porter really know??

Tell me more about the April 1963 Walker shooting... explain the McCloy letters again, in depth, including the astral significance of 11/22 and Thayer. Convince me that General Taylor wasn't the ultimate high-level traitor. How do McCloy, Taylor and Walker survive the next 20 years until their deaths? Why was a iconoclast like Walker abandoned for the remaining 25 years, undiscovered and undistinguished for the rest of his life?

Now my brain starts to really hurt...

Gene

Hi Gene

Good to hear from you again

As I think I mentioned once before the information I have gathered is rather vast and an explanation that draws from my collection is sometimes, because by nature it is a brief explanation, seems to simplistic. But here I will attempt to share some thoughts:

"I also re-read the old threads about Taylor and the bay of pigs. Amazing retrospect... a scheme essentially to draw Kennedy (USA) into conflict with Cuba... my best basketball analogy is the player who sets himself up to draw an offensive foul. Allow the invasion to stall - blood on the beach-head - and then bring on the full scale attack. But JFK didn't take the bait... and he also didn't succumb to similar tactics during the Cuban missile crisis. Fast-forward to bizarre Northwoods schemes, escalation in Vietnam, Central American intrigues. His administration was literally at war with the generals...at war with the national security establishment."

Just a thought....but following the failure of the Bay of Pigs we know that Cuba did invite the Soviets to station ballistic missiles on their soil. Missiles that could possibly destroy 50% of the US population! It could be argued in the converse that Kennedy's failure to act decisively on the Bay of Pigs lead to a potential threat to the United States that brought the world to the brink of nuclear disaster. One could ask that in hindsight was the military correct in supporting aid to the Cubans in the Bay of Pigs operation? As Clauswitz said, war is a continuation of policy by other means and at the time the United States policy of containment was in effect. By failing to support the Cubans in the Bay of Pigs it could be argued that a lack of leadership by the Kennedy administration unleashed a series of Cuban inspired revolutionary movements throughout Latin America that brought misery to millions of lives. Taylor in a speech at the West Point graduation of June 1963 spoke of the "temporary" civilian guardians of the constitution and how it was the militaries responsibility to protect the constitution. Interesting perspective!

"I'm still struggling mightily with Taylor... friend of the Kennedy's, pallbearer for RFK, war hero/JCS Chair.. American hero, right? No disparaging words.. no black marks, no black marbles rolled into his personnel file. Almost too clean... and he quietly morphs into the sunset of the 70's as Nixon and the war die a slow death in our national consciousness. What do they say... old soldiers don't die, they just quietly fade away? But I am seriously biased by the quote of his distant relative who described him as a well trained sophisticated spy."

Taylor was "a well trained and sophisticated spy." He was also a brilliant linguist. In one situation where these two parts of Taylor's life overlap you will find the story of Taylor serving in Japan and recovering a Japanese codebook....interesting that John Hurt was also a Japanese linguist and that he may well have been a person who benefited from Taylor's "spy" work." When Taylor returned from Japan he joined the War Plans group at the Pentegon. He was selected as one of, I believe it was only, six aides to General Marshall in the Old Munitions Building. According to John Hurt there was only a few, too few, officers working in the Old Munitions Building that had a command of the Japanese language (Taylor did a great deal of Japanese translations at time). Assigned directly to Marshall one could speculate that Taylors abilities may have been used to predict Pearl Harbor. Once again according to Hurt's own writings the information was available on the Pearl Harbor attack in the messages that had been decoded but not yet translated because of a lack of translators within the cytological service. George Marshall, at the appointed time of the attack on Pearl Harbor was by himself riding his horse (itself not unusual except that the messages that had been decoded by John Hurt showed that War would quite possibly be declared at exactly that time were available to Marshall). Just moments before the assassination of JFK, Taylor was in a Pentegon meeting with German NATO commanders. According to Taylor's son, Max adjourned the meeting for a short period, went into his office alone and asked not to be disturbed. He was disturbed with information that the President had been shot. Taylor than reconvened the meeting with the NATO generals without sharing the information with them. Once again, as Clauswitz said, war is a continuation of policy by other means.

"And J.J. Angleton was apparently running poor Oswald (Lee, Harvey, both...) A lone nut indeed... a tragic American 'legend' (in all intelligence aspects of the word). Perhaps he is at the unwitting center of everything important that happened during the 2nd half of the 20th century! I'm starting to believe he was a tragic hero... a guy who tried to stop some really perverted bad men, but ended up a dead patsy. What in God's name does Marina Porter really know??"

Personally I think that Angleton may have been a big patsy. The Nosenko case in point....if Angleton was in someway involved with Oswald and his "mission" to Russia then Angleton knows that Nosenko is a Soviet plant. And Angleton sacrificed his career in that belief. If on the other hand Oswald was "a guy who tried to stop some really perverted bad men, but ended up a dead patsy" then the plot thickens.....especially if those who had ran Oswald were attuned so closely to his psych profile to know that if giving the opportunity he would pull the trigger (as suggested in the Belin letter from the CIA). If you read the minutes of the early meetings of the Warren Commission you wil find where McCloy gives notice that he will have to be in Switzerland (I believe) for a disarmament conference meeting. It is at that same meeting where Nosenko defects.

"explain the McCloy letters again, in depth, including the astral significance of 11/22 and Thayer."

11/22 was the day upon which a riot occurred at West Point. Members of the cadet corps, civilian appointees that were using the academy as their personal country club so to speak, attempted to have Thayer removed as the commandant. Thayer imposed military law and justice to remove the political appointees and begin the professionalizing of the United States Military. Many West Point graduates equate that moment in time as the day that the American military became a professional organization dedicated to the protection of the Constitution and not to the temporary administrators of government. It is interesting to note that McCloy and Walker corresponded on the subject of Thayer and that Taylor gave a speech about Thayer, all within one week. Coincidence perhaps but as I connect the three men I find it interesting that this information was left so out in the open that if anyone of them were associated with the assassination then the other two could very well be associated as well. Taking this thought a little further the one man that it does not actually implicate is Walker. In this case I hold open the possibility that he was the "Patsy." If as I suggest Walker was the man who provided Oswald with the information necessary to proceed to Helsinki, Finland and enter the Soviet Union via the Russian Embassy in that city, Walker would not only recognize Oswald following the assassination, Walker would also realize that he could be framed as part of a conspiracy to assassinate the President. Walker would have been the one person not a privy to the plot who would have known that Oswald's killing of Kennedy was not the act of a "lone nut." Therefore Walker needed to be implicated before the assassination occurred. IMO, The "planting" of the McCloy note to Walker insured Walker's silence, especially after the death of Oswald was accomplished (suggest you read the Walker Testimony within the commission files, he mentions that death is a sure way to insure silence.

"Convince me that General Taylor wasn't the ultimate high-level traitor."

I don't think that I could do that. There is an old saying, "one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter." If my story has merit then Taylor would have believed himself to be the highest level patriot within the country!

"How do McCloy, Taylor and Walker survive the next 20 years until their deaths?"

By convincing the American public that Oswald didn't assassinate the President, McCloy and Taylor insured their own survival. Without an examination of the Oswald Walker shooting my trail is never uncovered. Believing that Oswald was a set up Patsy one must believe that the Walker shooting was also set up as part of the framing of Oswald. No investigation leads to no information being uncovered that puts this story together. I believe it is possibly the reason this conspiracy has never been unraveled!

"Why was a iconoclast like Walker abandoned for the remaining 25 years, undiscovered and undistinguished for the rest of his life?"

To insure that no one would ever take a serious look at the peculiar life of Edwin Walker, a very odd fellow.

As a side note have you ever read of the early life of Sir Robert Thomas Wilson?

Jim Root

"How do McCloy, Taylor and Walker survive the next 20 years until their deaths?"

By convincing the American public that Oswald didn't assassinate the President, McCloy and Taylor insured their own survival. Without an examination of the Oswald Walker shooting my trail is never uncovered. Believing that Oswald was a set up Patsy one must believe that the Walker shooting was also set up as part of the framing of Oswald. No investigation leads to no information being uncovered that puts this story together. I believe it is possibly the reason this conspiracy has never been unraveled!

Jim Root

could you expand on the above paragraph, Mr. Root?

Thanks,

David Healy

Jim Root

Thanks,

David Healy

David

Thank you for taking an interest.

It is very difficult to briefly explain my research, it is long, convoluted, goes off in many direction but constantly comes back to information that points primarily to two men who had both means and motive to put together the assassination of JFK.

I might suggest that you read my posts from the the past 4 1/2 years to get a clearer picture of my story.

Specific to your question though: As early as 1944 McCloy and Taylor were working together in Italy to control the civilian population behind the front lines of the Germans and allied forces. They came together again in post war Germany where McCloy was High Commissioner and Taylor was the Military Governor in Berlin.

When the State Department found itself unable to administer liberated territories in Europe the War Department was given the task. McCloy soon found himself in charge and the use of news, radio and other various methods of what we might call propaganda were used to insure that the "liberated" populations of former hostile and allied nations were managed in the ways that suited the interest of the Allies/ i. e US Government. They went to great lenghts to learn how to manipulate and manage these peoples in order to establish governments that would be friendly to the United States. Toss in Greece and the establishment of the Truman Doctrine and we bring Walker into the picture running the Greek Desk at the Pentagon during the Greek Civil War.

While most people believe that the Governments of the World try to manipulate the thoughts of their citizens most Americans, while they believe that our government does this as well, do not believe that it can be done to them. The best victim is a victim that does not know that they have been victimized....that is the perfect "STING" when the perpatrator walks away without being caught.

Jim Root

Jim Root

Thanks,

David Healy

David

Thank you for taking an interest.

It is very difficult to briefly explain my research, it is long, convoluted, goes off in many direction but constantly comes back to information that points primarily to two men who had both means and motive to put together the assassination of JFK.

I might suggest that you read my posts from the the past 4 1/2 years to get a clearer picture of my story.

Specific to your question though: As early as 1944 McCloy and Taylor were working together in Italy to control the civilian population behind the front lines of the Germans and allied forces. They came together again in post war Germany where McCloy was High Commissioner and Taylor was the Military Governor in Berlin.

When the State Department found itself unable to administer liberated territories in Europe the War Department was given the task. McCloy soon found himself in charge and the use of news, radio and other various methods of what we might call propaganda were used to insure that the "liberated" populations of former hostile and allied nations were managed in the ways that suited the interest of the Allies/ i. e US Government. They went to great lenghts to learn how to manipulate and manage these peoples in order to establish governments that would be friendly to the United States. Toss in Greece and the establishment of the Truman Doctrine and we bring Walker into the picture running the Greek Desk at the Pentagon during the Greek Civil War.

While most people believe that the Governments of the World try to manipulate the thoughts of their citizens most Americans, while they believe that our government does this as well, do not believe that it can be done to them. The best victim is a victim that does not know that they have been victimized....that is the perfect "STING" when the perpatrator walks away without being caught.

Jim Root

Thanks, Jim Root!

DHealy

And I second that notion... thanks Jim for your excellent investigation into key individuals and a very thoughtful analysis. Your work ties together some larger 'strings' and - for me - makes sense of the important historical events (i.e. Cuba, Cold War, BOP, the missile crisis, McCloy and the Warren Commission, Vietnam, oil interests, JCS generals) on the periphery of the assassination. It has always been my 'thesis' that an understanding of the major political events surrounding 1963 (the 'bookends' so to speak) would provide insight as to not only who killed the president but more important, why he was murdered. Call me superstitious, but the significance of November 22nd for military professionals is quite a tempting coincidence... and Ian Fleming had some interesting words for those who believe in coincidence.

Gene Kelly

And I second that notion... thanks Jim for your excellent investigation into key individuals and a very thoughtful analysis. Your work ties together some larger 'strings' and - for me - makes sense of the important historical events (i.e. Cuba, Cold War, BOP, the missile crisis, McCloy and the Warren Commission, Vietnam, oil interests, JCS generals) on the periphery of the assassination. It has always been my 'thesis' that an understanding of the major political events surrounding 1963 (the 'bookends' so to speak) would provide insight as to not only who killed the president but more important, why he was murdered. Call me superstitious, but the significance of November 22nd for military professionals is quite a tempting coincidence... and Ian Fleming had some interesting words for those who believe in coincidence.

Gene Kelly

Gene

While I agree that the geo political events surrounding the assassination are critical, it is my thoughts that the combination of persons necessary to carry out a conspiracy to murder a president would be even more critical.

This group, if it existed. would not have been a hodgepoge of haphazard individuals who came together on a wim and somehow preformed a deed that has never been exposed. No! I would rather suspect that this group would have to be a very tight knit group that would have full and complete trust in each other. A trust that would have been forged over many years of working together. This group would also have to have the ability to not only acomplish the deed but to be positioned to insure that any investigation into Oswald's potential intelligence connections would be whitewashed away....his 201 file purged, the passenger list/s who traveled with Oswald from London to Helsinki could not be exposed and Oswald's attempt to call someone by the name of John Hurt would never see the light of day. This would require an intimate knowledge of the intelligence apparatus and the ability to coordinate with military percission. They would have to also have the ability to insure that the assassin, if caught alive, would not live for long (something along the lines of the Admiral Darlan affair).

My research continues to point to two individuals who fit these unique requirements and it is these unique requirements that light the path too these same individuals.

Jim Root

Edited by Jim Root

Guest Tom Scully
McCloy and Taylor?

Ultimate insiders displayed below in bold characters.....Taylor in his own words:

http://books.google.com/books?id=8OuChkvEj...aylor#PPA123,M1

Swords and Plowshares

By Maxwell D. Taylor

....I had begun to get the grasp of my job in Heidelberg when a series

of events occurred which eventually caused the Taylors to move from the

Neckar to Berlin. The end of the Berlin blockade on May 12 was followed

by a series of administrative changes which ended the postwar military

government of West Germany and substantiated a civilian High Commission

representing the United States, the United Kingdom, and France. General

Clay, who had been the American Commander and Military Governor with

headquarters in Berlin, retired from the Army covered with honors

and John J. McCloy became High Commissioner with his office in Frankfurt.

These changes posed the question of how the Allies would henceforth

exert their authority in West Berlin. Although the termination of the block-

ade had raised high hopes that better days were ahead for the city, the Soviets

soon demonstraged that the Cold War was by no means at an end.

They began with a series of new harassments directed at the communications

bewteen the city and the West which, though less spectacular than

the blockade, were nevertheless serious in their effects. They were evidence

to the Berliners that the Soviets had not swerved from their long range

goal of extending their control over the entire city and making it the

capital of the so0called German Democratic Republic to be set up in the

East. In the face of this renewed threat, the question was how best to organize

the Allied representation in Berlin to frustrate the Soviet political offensive.

It was in the context of these developments that McCloy asked for my

assignment as the senior U.S. representative in the city. I had known

McCloy since prewar days, when he was Assistant Secretary of War under

Henry L. Stimson, and I welcomed the opportunity to work with him

again. In due course, I was relieved from my post in Heidelberg and

proceeded to Berlin to set up my new establishment.

Having arrived in Berlin, I drew up a plan for the organization of my

office which was eventually called the Headquarters of the U.S. Commander,

Berlin, quickly shortened to USCOB. Despite Biblical warnings against

serving two masters, USCOB worked concurrently for the High Commissioner

and the U.S. Army Commander, Europe. In the first capacity, he was the

personnel representative of the High Commissioner in Berlin. In the second,

he was a deputy to General Handy, now commanding in Heidelberg, and

responsible to him for all American military activities in the city.....

http://books.google.com/books?id=8OuChkvEj...aylor#PPA124,M1

...As he set us to work, the President indicated his intention to limit his

advisers generally to the small group which later formalized as the

Executive Committee of the National Security Council (EXCOMM). It

consisted of Vice-President Johnson, Secretary of State Rusk, Secretary

of the Treasury Dillon, Attorney General Kennedy, CIA Director McCone,

Undersecretary of State Ball, Deputy Secretary of Defense Gilpatric,

Ambassador-at-Large Thompson, Special Counsel Sorenson, Mac Bundy, and

myself.

These men, joined occasionally by nonmembers such as Adlai Stevenson, Dean Acheson,

Robert Lovett, and John McCloy, lived and worked together almost around the clock

throughout the secret crisis. We assembled surreptitiously two or three times a day,

slipping in the southwest gate of the White House to avoid notice and hiding our cars

in the State Department basement when we met in preparation for a session with the President...

McCloy and Taylor?

Ultimate insiders displayed below in bold characters.....Taylor in his own words:

http://books.google.com/books?id=8OuChkvEj...aylor#PPA123,M1

Swords and Plowshares

By Maxwell D. Taylor

....I had begun to get the grasp of my job in Heidelberg when a series

of events occurred which eventually caused the Taylors to move from the

Neckar to Berlin. The end of the Berlin blockade on May 12 was followed

by a series of administrative changes which ended the postwar military

government of West Germany and substantiated a civilian High Commission

representing the United States, the United Kingdom, and France. General

Clay, who had been the American Commander and Military Governor with

headquarters in Berlin, retired from the Army covered with honors

and John J. McCloy became High Commissioner with his office in Frankfurt.

These changes posed the question of how the Allies would henceforth

exert their authority in West Berlin. Although the termination of the block-

ade had raised high hopes that better days were ahead for the city, the Soviets

soon demonstraged that the Cold War was by no means at an end.

They began with a series of new harassments directed at the communications

bewteen the city and the West which, though less spectacular than

the blockade, were nevertheless serious in their effects. They were evidence

to the Berliners that the Soviets had not swerved from their long range

goal of extending their control over the entire city and making it the

capital of the so0called German Democratic Republic to be set up in the

East. In the face of this renewed threat, the question was how best to organize

the Allied representation in Berlin to frustrate the Soviet political offensive.

It was in the context of these developments that McCloy asked for my

assignment as the senior U.S. representative in the city. I had known

McCloy since prewar days, when he was Assistant Secretary of War under

Henry L. Stimson, and I welcomed the opportunity to work with him

again. In due course, I was relieved from my post in Heidelberg and

proceeded to Berlin to set up my new establishment.

Having arrived in Berlin, I drew up a plan for the organization of my

office which was eventually called the Headquarters of the U.S. Commander,

Berlin, quickly shortened to USCOB. Despite Biblical warnings against

serving two masters, USCOB worked concurrently for the High Commissioner

and the U.S. Army Commander, Europe. In the first capacity, he was the

personnel representative of the High Commissioner in Berlin. In the second,

he was a deputy to General Handy, now commanding in Heidelberg, and

responsible to him for all American military activities in the city.....

http://books.google.com/books?id=8OuChkvEj...aylor#PPA124,M1

...As he set us to work, the President indicated his intention to limit his

advisers generally to the small group which later formalized as the

Executive Committee of the National Security Council (EXCOMM). It

consisted of Vice-President Johnson, Secretary of State Rusk, Secretary

of the Treasury Dillon, Attorney General Kennedy, CIA Director McCone,

Undersecretary of State Ball, Deputy Secretary of Defense Gilpatric,

Ambassador-at-Large Thompson, Special Counsel Sorenson, Mac Bundy, and

myself.

These men, joined occasionally by nonmembers such as Adlai Stevenson, Dean Acheson,

Robert Lovett, and John McCloy, lived and worked together almost around the clock

throughout the secret crisis. We assembled surreptitiously two or three times a day,

slipping in the southwest gate of the White House to avoid notice and hiding our cars

in the State Department basement when we met in preparation for a session with the President...

Thank you Tom

The relationship between Taylor and McColy was actually very close.....tennis buddies!

Jim Root

Guest Tom Scully
....Thank you Tom

The relationship between Taylor and McColy was actually very close.....tennis buddies!

Jim Root

Speaking of tennis, I've observed that it was an intense interest in common, among some folks I've posted about:

Allen Dulles

John McCloy

Henry C. Brunie

Anna Fuller Hubbard Brunie (Indoor doubles runner-up- 1929, 1931, 1934)

Grace Bristed aka Mrs. CE Douglas

Betty Nuthall - British Wimbledon champion employed by Grace Bristed's travel agency

William HG Fitzgerald

Ernest L Byfield Jr. North Carolina "Tar Heels" college tennis, and best man in William HG Fitzgerald's wedding.

Joseph Binns died suddenly at age 75 shortly after winning a tennis tournament.

The other, more common interest was hotels...too many persons of interest to list here....some examples:

Conrad Hilton

Henry Crown

J Meyer Schine

G. David Schine

Roy Cohn

Ernest L Byfield

Patrick Hoy

Ernest L Byfield Jr.

Joseph Binns

Arnold Kirkeby

Irv Kupcinet

Howard Hughes

4. An organization of United States, Caribbean, and Havana, Cuba gamblers called the Syndicate headed by Clifford Jones, ex-Lieutenant Governor of Nevada and Democratic National Committeeman, and Bobby Baker of Washington, D.C. This group worked closely with a Mafia family headed by Joe Bonnano.

Edward Levinson

Louis Chesler

Carroll Rosenboom

John Gates

....just a start.....the list of organized crime figures drawn to the hotel and hotel-casino business could fill a page.....

Edited by Tom Scully

Random musings.....and documents

Oswald Call Still Mystery The News and Observer, Raliegh N.C.,Thursday July 17, 1980

Mystery surrounds phone calls by Kennedy killer to Raleigh

By Pat Smith

Late on the night of Nov. 23, 1963 --- about 12 hours before he was murdered by Jack Ruby --- Lee Harvey Oswald may have tried to place a collect call to a “John Hurt” in Raleigh. The call never went through and the two John Hurts to whom it might have been directed say they no idea why Oswald would want to call them.

A telephone operator who helped handle long-distance calls by prisoners in the Dallas jail told the House Select Committee on Assassinations about the call in 1978. The operator said she had written down two Raleigh numbers Oswald tried to reach and kept them as a souvenir --- numbers listed to a John David Hurt of Hillsborough Street and a John William Hurt of Forest Road. She said neither call was completed. One of the men, John David Hurt, was a staff sergeant in U S Army counterintelligence during World War II. “It was a disturbing story, without a conclusion,” G Robert Blakey, the committee’s chief counsel and staff director told the News and Observer recently. “We could not satisfy ourselves that the call was made, that it was made from the outside in or from the inside outside.”

“We did look into Mr Hurt and Mr. Hurt’s background and our judgement was that he was an honest man telling the truth as he knew it,“ Blakey said. “He had no idea about anything (connected with Oswald) he had not been involved with military intelligence for some time. And nothing we found contradicted what he told us.

John William Hurt, 41 said in an interview that no one had contacted him about the telephone call. “All I know about him (Oswald) is what I’ve read in the newspapers and seen on TV,” said Hurt who lives in a motel in Wake Forest.......

Harold A Rose of Baltimore, a former staff member of the Select Committee on Assassinations, said he had interviewed Ms Sweeney, who he said, still works on the City Hall switchboard in Dallas. “The only thing I can tell you is the lady in Dallas I interviewed was very, very upset that I had discovered her. She didn’t want to get involved.” The N&O could not reach Ms Sweeney for comment but Harris the New York researcher said she had told him that Mrs. Treon was mistaken.

Investigator Rose observed: “I think it could have stood quite a bit more looking into.”

NEXT

WCH XI; 482 James Crowley a State Dept employee saw documents pertaining to LHO BEFORE THE ASSASSINATION SEE WC REFERENCE PRECEDING.

PRESIDENT'S COMMISSION

ON THE ASSASSINATION OF AFFIDAVIT

PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, ss:

James D. Crowley, being duly sworn, deposes and says:

On August 13, 1961, he was duly appointed an officer in the Department of State, as a specialist in intelligence matters; that he has continued to serve in that capacity since that time, and that he has personal knowledge of the matters related in this affidavit:

1. I am one of the officers in the Department of State responsible for disseminating throughout the Department various reports, memoranda and documents which are received from other United States Government agencies.

2. The first time I remember learning of Oswald's existence was when I received copies of a telegraphic message, dated October 10, 1963, from the Central Intelligence Agency, which contained information pertaining to his current activities. I requested that a search of the Office of Security records be made on October 11, 1963, to determine if the Department had received any information previously. Based on a quick review of the Office of Security file on Oswald, I disseminated copies of the Central Intelligence Agency message to the various offices within the Department which were interested in receiving this type of material.

3. I also briefly reviewed Oswald's Office of Security file on November 14, 1963. Although I am not certain, I believe the impetus for this review was either my receipt of a Federal Bureau of Investigation report dated October 31, 1963 on Lee Harvey Oswald or my receipt of a Federal Bureau of Investigation report dated October 25, 1963 on the Fair Play for Cuba Committee New Orleans Division. Both of these reports were received in the Intelligence Processing Section on November 8, 1963.

4. In both instances, I reviewed the Office of Security file in a routine manner and had it returned to the Office of Security File Room the same day in which it was charged to me.

Signed this 12th day of June 1964.

(S) James D. Crowley,

JAMES D. CROWLEY.

Edited by Robert Howard

Oswald Call Still Mystery The News and Observer, Raliegh N.C.,Thursday July 17, 1980

By Pat Smith

Late on the night of Nov. 23, 1963 --- about 12 hours before he was murdered by Jack Ruby --- Lee Harvey Oswald may have tried to place a collect call to a "John Hurt" in Raleigh. The call never went through and the two John Hurts to whom it might have been directed say they no idea why Oswald would want to call them.

A telephone operator who helped handle long-distance calls by prisoners in the Dallas jail told the House Select Committee on Assassinations about the call in 1978. The operator said she had written down two Raleigh numbers Oswald tried to reach and kept them as a souvenir --- numbers listed to a John David Hurt of Hillsborough Street and a John William Hurt of Forest Road. She said neither call was completed. One of the men, John David Hurt, was a staff sergeant in U S Army counterintelligence during World War II. "It was a disturbing story, without a conclusion," G Robert Blakey, the committee's chief counsel and staff director told the News and Observer recently. "We could not satisfy ourselves that the call was made, that it was made from the outside in or from the inside outside."

"We did look into Mr Hurt and Mr. Hurt's background and our judgement was that he was an honest man telling the truth as he knew it," Blakey said. "He had no idea about anything (connected with Oswald) he had not been involved with military intelligence for some time. And nothing we found contradicted what he told us.

John William Hurt, 41 said in an interview that no one had contacted him about the telephone call. "All I know about him (Oswald) is what I've read in the newspapers and seen on TV," said Hurt who lives in a motel in Wake Forest.......

Harold A Rose of Baltimore, a former staff member of the Select Committee on Assassinations, said he had interviewed Ms Sweeney, who he said, still works on the City Hall switchboard in Dallas. "The only thing I can tell you is the lady in Dallas I interviewed was very, very upset that I had discovered her. She didn't want to get involved." The N&O could not reach Ms Sweeney for comment but Harris the New York researcher said she had told him that Mrs. Treon was mistaken.

Investigator Rose observed: "I think it could have stood quite a bit more looking into."

NEXT

WCH XI; 482 James Crowley a State Dept employee saw documents pertaining to LHO BEFORE THE ASSASSINATION SEE WC REFERENCE PRECEDING.

PRESIDENT'S COMMISSION

On August 13, 1961, he was duly appointed an officer in the Department of State, as a specialist in intelligence matters; that he has continued to serve in that capacity since that time, and that he has personal knowledge of the matters related in this affidavit:

1. I am one of the officers in the Department of State responsible for disseminating throughout the Department various reports, memoranda and documents which are received from other United States Government agencies.

2. The first time I remember learning of Oswald's existence was when I received copies of a telegraphic message, dated October 10, 1963, from the Central Intelligence Agency, which contained information pertaining to his current activities. I requested that a search of the Office of Security records be made on October 11, 1963, to determine if the Department had received any information previously. Based on a quick review of the Office of Security file on Oswald, I disseminated copies of the Central Intelligence Agency message to the various offices within the Department which were interested in receiving this type of material.

3. I also briefly reviewed Oswald's Office of Security file on November 14, 1963. Although I am not certain, I believe the impetus for this review was either my receipt of a Federal Bureau of Investigation report dated October 31, 1963 on Lee Harvey Oswald or my receipt of a Federal Bureau of Investigation report dated October 25, 1963 on the Fair Play for Cuba Committee New Orleans Division. Both of these reports were received in the Intelligence Processing Section on November 8, 1963.

4. In both instances, I reviewed the Office of Security file in a routine manner and had it returned to the Office of Security File Room the same day in which it was charged to me.

(S) James D. Crowley,

JAMES D. CROWLEY.

Robert, that's very interesting. Do we have these two records - dated FBI report dated October 31, 1963 (- Holloween - David Phillip's birthday), and FPCC report of Oct. 25, 1963? - BK

"...I believe the impetus for this review was either my receipt of a Federal Bureau of Investigation report dated October 31, 1963 on Lee Harvey Oswald or my receipt of a Federal Bureau of Investigation report dated October 25, 1963 on the Fair Play for Cuba Committee New Orleans Division. Both of these reports were received in the Intelligence Processing Section on November 8, 1963..."

By Pat Smith

Late on the night of Nov. 23, 1963 --- about 12 hours before he was murdered by Jack Ruby --- Lee Harvey Oswald may have tried to place a collect call to a "John Hurt" in Raleigh. The call never went through and the two John Hurts to whom it might have been directed say they no idea why Oswald would want to call them.

A telephone operator who helped handle long-distance calls by prisoners in the Dallas jail told the House Select Committee on Assassinations about the call in 1978. The operator said she had written down two Raleigh numbers Oswald tried to reach and kept them as a souvenir --- numbers listed to a John David Hurt of Hillsborough Street and a John William Hurt of Forest Road. She said neither call was completed. One of the men, John David Hurt, was a staff sergeant in U S Army counterintelligence during World War II. "It was a disturbing story, without a conclusion," G Robert Blakey, the committee's chief counsel and staff director told the News and Observer recently. "We could not satisfy ourselves that the call was made, that it was made from the outside in or from the inside outside."

"We did look into Mr Hurt and Mr. Hurt's background and our judgement was that he was an honest man telling the truth as he knew it," Blakey said. "He had no idea about anything (connected with Oswald) he had not been involved with military intelligence for some time. And nothing we found contradicted what he told us.

John William Hurt, 41 said in an interview that no one had contacted him about the telephone call. "All I know about him (Oswald) is what I've read in the newspapers and seen on TV," said Hurt who lives in a motel in Wake Forest.......

Harold A Rose of Baltimore, a former staff member of the Select Committee on Assassinations, said he had interviewed Ms Sweeney, who he said, still works on the City Hall switchboard in Dallas. "The only thing I can tell you is the lady in Dallas I interviewed was very, very upset that I had discovered her. She didn't want to get involved." The N&O could not reach Ms Sweeney for comment but Harris the New York researcher said she had told him that Mrs. Treon was mistaken.

Investigator Rose observed: "I think it could have stood quite a bit more looking into."

NEXT

PRESIDENT'S COMMISSION

(S) James D. Crowley,

JAMES D. CROWLEY.

Robert, that's very interesting. Do we have these two records - dated FBI report dated October 31, 1963 (- Holloween - David Phillip's birthday), and FPCC report of Oct. 25, 1963? - BK

"...I believe the impetus for this review was either my receipt of a Federal Bureau of Investigation report dated October 31, 1963 on Lee Harvey Oswald or my receipt of a Federal Bureau of Investigation report dated October 25, 1963 on the Fair Play for Cuba Committee New Orleans Division. Both of these reports were received in the Intelligence Processing Section on November 8, 1963..."

Good question the Crowley affadavit I posted is from the link below.....

http://www.jfk-assassination.de/warren/wch/vol11/page482.php

Regarding your question, it possibly would be in one of the following documents cited at NARA

http://www.nara.gov/cgi-bin/starfinder/21704/jfksnew.txt