The Education Forum

Russ Baker: Family of Secrets: The Bush Dynasty

John Simkin

Guest Tom Scully

Linda,

Russ wrote in his book that Albert Jenner was Henry Crown's and General Dynamics' attorney. He wrote that Jenner had private conversations with de Mohrenschildt before and after de Mohrenschildt's transcribed WC testimony. He wrote that, at times, Jenner and Goldberg were the only WC officials present for parts of de Mohrenschildt's testimony. Russ also wrote that Earl Warren advanced the name of Albert Jenner to the other commissioners, for appointment as assistand counsel, Warren said that others reccommended Jenner, but that Warren did not name them.

Please do not take this the wrong way. I greatly value your work and your opinion to the point that I hesitated even replying, but this is the JFK Assassination Debate. The December 16, 1963 WC executive session minutes reveal that Warren said that Acheson and Clark had given Jenner a thumbs up. There is much evidence to support the point that Henry Crown stood to lose hundreds of millions of dollars if the TFX contract was pared down and shared with Boeing, or forfeited entirely, as a result of the two, then escalating senate committee investigations.

If a consequence of editing is that the smoking gun of Jenner being planted on the WC to quash an aggressive investigation into people like de Mohrenschildt and Jack Ruby, in order to eliminate the possibility of the WC considering Henry Crown and Patrick Hoy as "persons of interest" in the WC investigation, ends up being omitted or obscured to irrelevancy, why would anyone with an straightforward interest in the machinations of the hidden elite, even want to write a book?

Russ also left me with the impression that he believes Jenner deliberately skirted around the asking of probing questions of Max Clark, Chief of Security at the (General Dynamics) Convair plant. In the background is the battle between Howard Hugh's TWA, and Sam Pryor Jr's Pan Am, over the latter's influence in getting the CAB to award it routes to the detriment of TWA. Henry Crown's losses and thus his and Gen Dyn's vulnerable financial position by 1963, was a direct result of Howard Hugh's ordering his armed guards to the Convair plant to shut down "finish stage" production of 880 series jet airliners that Hughs was unable to pay for if they were readied for delivery.

Sam Pryor Jr. "handed off", his employee, former Air Force undersecretary Roger Lewis to Henry Crown:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=W1wNA...an+am+lewis+cab

Roger Lewis, Officer at Pan American, Named President; DEFENSE...

- New York Times - Jan 26, 1962

Roger Lewis, 49, yesterday was elected president and chief executive of the financially ailing ... Henry Crown, General Dynamics' largest stockholder. ...

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?hl=en...range=1980,2009

It was not known at the time of the WC and HSCA "probes", but I am sure Russ is familiar with Sy Hersch's writing of General Dynamics' security officer, IB Hale's sons' car license tax number "showing up" at Judith Campbell's LA apartment.

As I asked Russ, why "go there"....point out Jenner's seemingly deliberate disinterest in materially questioning de Mohrenschildt, on any matter, and then leave it at that?

We've had the benefit of this for thirty years. Russ simply quotes it.:

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&sa...sa=N&tab=wp

And We are All Mortal: New Evidence and Analysis in the John F. Kennedy ...‎ - Page 388

by George Michael Evica - 1978 - 465 pages

The Jenner-Henry Crown connection alone should have suggested conflict of

interests to those responsible for selecting the Warren , Commission's counsel, ......

It seems to be an extremely neglected area of interest, yet there is much interest in the poor job Jenner did in questioning key witnesses like

de Mohrenschildt....

Do you disagree with any of this, in Marshall's 13 year old article:

http://www2.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi...=009&sc=442

......But the facts speak tellingly about how accidents of history can affect great fortunes.

....A postscript for assassination buffs: No individual stood to lose more from the TFX scandal than Chicago investor Henry Crown, who owned 20 percent of General Dynamics. His personal attorney, Albert Jenner, became a senior staff attorney on the Warren Commission, in charge of investigating the possibility of a conspiracy. ......

Call me crazy.... but I'm getting the strong impression that no one wants to "go there", insofar as considering the possibilities of a Crown, Hoy, Kupcinet, Byfield, related to a Jack Ruby, conspiracy angle.

http://dspace.wrlc.org/doc/bitstream/2041/...arch=''

January 14, 1963

WASHINGTON.--SENATE RACKETS CHAIRMAN JOHN MCCLELLAN, WHO HAS BEEN

INVESTIGATING LABOR RACKETEERS9 HAS TURNED TO THE PROBE OF A

$62,000,000 RESEARCH CONTRACT TC7 GENERAL DYNAMICS6 HE HAS EVEN ASKED

THE DEFENSE DEPARTMENT TO HOLD UP THE CONTRACT UNTIL HIS INVESTIGATORS

CAN LAY THEIR CARDS ON THE TABLE.....

.....EFFECTIVE IN THE BACK ROOMS, CROWN IS CREDITED WITH HOOKING THE DESPERATELY NEEDED CONTRACT."

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.htm...78AD95F478685F9

Possibility of a Johnson Role in TFX Contract Raised by Senator at Inquiry; Memorandum Is Cited

New York Times - Nov 20, 1963

WASHINGTON, Nov.19 The possibility that Vice President Johnson had a role in ... Senator John L. McClellan, Democrat of Arkansas, who is chairman of the ...

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?as_ld...amp;btnG=Search

New York Times - Dec 15, 1963

Senator John L. McClellan has indefinitely postponed hearings on the TFX airplane contract. The Arkansas Democrat, who is chairman of the Senate Permanent ...

Since Russ Baker put a toe in the water....with his references to Albert Jenner, I simply want to know if what I added would have also been included, if verified to Russ's satisfaction?

Linda, Henry Crown seems to have had enough "juice" to skirt security checks, apparently. His son was not so fortunate, at least to begin with, then the former US attorney who had pursued him, stepped in:

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?hl=en...+co-conspirator

Chicago Sun-Times - NewsBank - Jan 17, 1986

WASHINGTON If Chicago industrialist Lester Crown's military security clearance is lifted, he will be ousted from the board of directors of General Dynamics .

Governor helped Crown keep US security OK

- Chicago Sun-Times - NewsBank - Aug 4, 1986

Thompson, who granted industrialist Lester Crown immunity from prosecution in a bribery ... An unindicted co-conspirator, Crown testified at the 1976 trial. ..

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=les...=1&ie=UTF-8

Boston Globe - NewsBank - Jan 17, 1986

David Lewis appointed Crown, son of GD director Henry Crown, to the board in 1974 without telling other directors or stockholders that Lester had been named ...

Edited by Tom Scully

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This book is currently 161 on Amazon, the highest a book on the JFK assassination has been in a long time. It is about to become a best-seller and this represents an opportunity to inform a whole new generation about the assassination. I have connected another book--JFK and the Unspeakable-- to it on my Amazon review. This represents one way of informing new readers of "the next step" as well as potentially informing more advanced students about excellent but little known works like Prof Evica's book A certain Arrogance. The PRODUCT LINK at Amazon is could be a very usefull tail to tie to this high flying kite.

Today Lamar Waldron's book got a full long column write up in the Liz Smith column in the NY Post Murdoch sleeze paper. Yet Family of Secrets was outselling it better than ten to one.

This book is currently 161 on Amazon, the highest a book on the JFK assassination has been in a long time. It is about to become a best-seller and this represents an opportunity to inform a whole new generation about the assassination.

I agree. It is the most important on the JFK assassination (although it is much, much more than that) since Larry Hancock's Someone Would Have Talked, that was completely ignored by the media. I suspect that because Russ concentrates of the Bush family at a time when they are down and out, he might get more coverage in the media. However, I doubt very much if the media will spend much time on the JFK assassination or Watergate.

Good example of Operation Mockingbird at work in this article by Tim Rutten in the Los Angeles Times.

http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-e...0,6116790.story

'Family of Secrets' by Russ Baker

By Tim Rutten

January 7, 2009

The tendency Richard Hofstadter so aptly labeled "the paranoid style" in American politics operates independent of ideology.

"American politics has often been an arena for angry minds," the great historian wrote in a 1964 issue of Harper's magazine. He called the expression of that anger "the paranoid style simply because no other word adequately evokes the sense of heated exaggeration, suspiciousness, and conspiratorial fantasy that I have in mind."

Russ Baker is an independent investigative journalist who has published widely in national magazines and, nowadays, is active mainly on the Internet. If the paranoid style can be said to have a canon, his preposterous new book -- "Family of Secrets: The Bush Dynasty, the Powerful Forces That Put It in the White House, and What Their Influence Means for America" -- surely deserves a place among its classics.

Baker begins this dispiriting tome with a couple of reasonable questions that probably are on a great many minds as George W. Bush's disastrous presidency sputters to a close: "What did the ascendancy of this frighteningly inadequate man signify? Could anything be learned from the George W. Bush phenomenon that would help us understand how we Americans choose our leaders and chart our collective course?"

It's all downhill from there -- though hardly in a straight line, since clarity and direct exposition are anathema to the wheels-within-wheels school of thought, in which Baker really should be given an endowed chair.

"One of the impressive things about paranoid literature is the contrast between its fantasied conclusions and the almost touching concern with factuality it invariably shows" is a characterization of Hofstadter's that might have been tailored to fit Baker's book. "It produces heroic strivings for evidence to prove that the unbelievable is the only thing that can be believed. Of course, there are highbrow, lowbrow, and middlebrow paranoids, as there are likely to be in any political tendency . . . [that] all but obsessively accumulate 'evidence.' . . . The higher paranoid scholarship is nothing if not coherent -- in fact, the paranoid mind is far more coherent than the real world."

Baker's coherent explanation of the world purports to be "a secret history" of a vast conspiracy stretching back more than a century in which a cabal of rich, interconnected men -- mainly involved in oil and gold extraction -- have used, first, private intelligence agents and then, later, the government spy agencies they helped found to manipulate . . . well, just about everything. Along the way, readers with enough stamina to wade through the mind-numbing accretion of names, dates and places will discover heretofore "hidden" explanations for the American entry into World War I, the formation of the CIA, the assassination of John F. Kennedy and the Watergate scandal (which, by the way, turns out to have been a secret coup engineered by the petro-intelligence access).

Here it's necessary to declare a personal bias. I regard the belief that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone as an important indicium of mental health. In fact, I think there are three things that every serious American needs to believe about our recent history: Kennedy was killed by a lone lunatic, Americans really did land on the moon and the Twin Towers were destroyed when they were struck by two fully fueled airliners that had been hijacked by Islamic extremists organized by Al Qaeda. People who do not believe in these things are, within reasonable limits, entitled to sympathy. They are not entitled to a seat at the table where serious discussions occur.

Lack of seriousness is not this book's real failing, however. What makes Baker's book singularly offensive is the way he recklessly impugns, in the most disgusting possible way, the reputations not simply of men and women now dead, but of the living. The great Satan in this fevered schema is not the current President Bush but his father, President George H.W. Bush, whom Baker alleges has been a covert intelligence agent since his teens. According to Baker, he also was at the very center of a successful plot to murder John Kennedy that included, among dozens of others, former CIA Director Allen Dulles, then-Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson, the usual Cuban émigré suspects, a clutch of White Russian exiles living in Dallas, Sen. Prescott Bush and assorted Texas oil and money men.

By Baker's reckoning, there seem to have been about as many people involved in the plot as there were on Omaha Beach. With that many people involved in the conspiracy, it's a miracle it remained a secret long enough for Baker to "uncover" it. The elder President Bush is a public figure and, therefore, practically libel-proof. But using the tissue of innuendo, illogical inference, circumstance and guilt by tenuous association -- as Baker does in this book -- to indict rhetorically anyone, let alone a former chief executive, of an infamous murder is a reprehensible calumny.

The nadir of this particular chapter in the author's "secret history" may be the paragraph in which he rounds up all his key suspects and then darkly muses that each had an alibi that put him at a distance from Dallas on the day of JFK's assassination. What does Baker deduce from the consistency of his perpetrators' absence? Why, conspiracy to create cover stories, what else? One can't help but be reminded of the Crown prosecutor who argued that failure to produce a shred of evidence linking the Jesuits to the Gunpowder Plot simply was proof of how diabolically clever they were.

Baker does something similar to the Washington Post's Bob Woodward, whom he accuses of being an intelligence agent who, with master co-conspirator John W. Dean, were the prime movers in a coup to remove Nixon for opposing the oil depletion allowance. Woodward's legendary work habits are cited as evidence of how engrossed in the plot he was.

We could go on, but why? Life is short and real problems are pressing.

In the meantime, we can avoid Baker's "Family of Secrets" and console ourselves with another of Hofstadter's wise observations: "We are all sufferers from history, but the paranoid is a double sufferer, since he is afflicted not only by the real world, with the rest of us, but by his fantasies as well."

Tom, thanks for your comments. As I am doing media interviews all over the country right now, I regret that I simply can't get into this in great detail at the moment. However, in answer to your overall question: most of what is in my book has never been published anywhere before--not in other books, and not online. Many of the things you are referring to have already been published. I thought i could do the greatest service by focusing on what was new. That's why you see you may see at the most a brief reference to some of these issues. Also, keep in mind that Family of Secrets, in plowing new terrain and covering decades, cannot address everything. That, in fact, is what sites like Education Forum are for: so that informed, interested parties can raise a broad range of topics and debate them.

btw, I have loads of additional new material on quite a few of the subjects you touch upon, and, assuming the book does well enough and there is demand for more, I may try to publish these further revelations. Finally, let me say that I see some intriguing analysis in your comments. Let the dialogue continue!

Thank you for the opportunity, Russ !

I can understand you wanted to frame your Bush family focus on GHWB and GWB, but I was surprised not to find any mention of Samuel F. Pryor or Sam Pryor Jr, nor of Jupiter Island.

Since Samuel F. Pryor and GH Walker came from St. Louis, as did Samuel Bush, and Pryor and Samuel Bush were Rockefeller family surrogates, and because Jupiter Island became the most concentrated intersection of the wealthiest, Dillon, Mellon, the military industrialist, Walter Carpenter of Dupont, and the defense and intelligence hierarchy (R A. Lovett, asst. sect'y of war for air forces, WWII, Sect'y of War, Patterson's appointee to chair committee creating CIA, and Sect'y of Defense during Korean War), though Carpenter, Du Pont lawyer during Sen. Nye "merchant of death" hearings, "Wild Bill" Donovan, David KE Bruce, brother-in-law of Paul Mellon, Allen Dulles, Harriman Bros. lawyer and OSS chief, NY and Basil, and through Lovett, Trubee Davison, his best friend, early CIA personnel director, fellow Yale bonesman, son of JP Morgan partner, as well as the rest the Jupiter Island cast of characters, did you avoid these GHWB origins, because of Tarpley's earlier book?

You gave Prescott Bush's Pan Am board membership a mention, but wan't it related to Sam Pryor Jr.'s role as executive VP at Pan Am? Sam was Willkie's 1940 eatern states campaign manager. he introduced Willkie to WR Davis, American "oil man" and Nazi abwehr agent C-80. The O. John Rogge Nazi Report, suppressed by Atty. Gen. Tom Clark in 1946, includes verification by Goering and Rippentrop, as told to Rogge in interrogations at Nuremberg, that Davis financed, with Nazi provided funds, union leader John L. Lewis's nationally broadcast, October, 1940 speech endorsing Willkie for president. There are a number of books, published during the last 50 years, confirming that Willkie knew Davis was providing large sums of Nazi money to his campaign.

Sam Pryor Jr. gave Charles Lindbergh, 5 acres of his 100 acre Hawaiin estate, to build Lindbergh's retirement home on. Instead of burial next to Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Charles rests in a small Oahu, HI cemetery next to Sam Pryor Jr. Pryor's father, Samuel F., was an original incorporator, according to National Archive documents in the files of the Alien Property Custodian, of Hamburg America Line, and Union Bank Corp., bot confisacted as Nazi owned corporations in 1942.

You "went there", with your description of William Farish III"s granfather's role at Esso NJ, but you did not include the charge that Farish was a principle in the Farben cartel that provided tetra-ethyl lead to make the "Av-gas" that, if unavailable, would have grounded the Luftwaffe in the battle of Britain. GHWB has referred to Farish III as his "best friend". Is it not significant that, after the 1943 death of Farish III's father in an Army Air Force plane crash, that his male role model was his maternal grandfather, 1940 isolationist movement leader, and extreme right wing organizer, Gen. Robert E. Wood, or that Farish III is married to a Du pont heiress?

My question comes down to whether you deliberately avoided writing about what I am finding, and what is also found in the bio's on John Simkin's Spartacus site.... that GHWB and GWB are "the surface" of an intergenerational movement of right oriented, to the point of fascist, wealthiest, most powerful families who frame (dictate?) the platforms and agendas of both US parties, and US military and foreign policy?

Secondly, I read your great observations and unique facts of Warren Commission senior assistant counsel, Albert E. Jenner Jr., on page 79 of your book and pages 124 - 128. Were you aware that there is much documentation supporting the idea that Jenner was placed on the WC, and charged with investigating the possibility of a conspiracy, because he was "Mafia financier", Henry Crown's lawyer? Crown's son, John J., joined Jenner's law firm in 1959, and was still there as a partner, in 1969. Jenner seems to have only been Crown's personnel attorney, and by extension, attorney for Material Services Corp., the Crown family corporation, merged into General Dynamics in 1959. There were many reports that Henry Crown, 20 percent owner of General Dynamics and chair of it's executive committee, was exposed financially as LBJ was exposed politically, by the direction the TFX scandal was taking in the months leading up to November 22, 1963. The man who Crown hired in 1960 as president of Material Service and Vice President of General Dynamics, Patrick H. Hoy, was dcoumented by Peter Dale Scott and other sources to be a close friend of Sidney Korshak and of Charles "Babe" Baron. Hoy, manager and then president of the Chicago Hotel Sherman group, also had an at least eleven year, daily relationship with Irv Kupcinet. Irv's daily newspaper column assistant writers, writing under the name, "Ivan Bunny", testified to the WC that they were tell lifelong friends of Jack Ruby, and they owned the Clover bar next to the Hotel Sherman.

You wrote that Earl Warren proposed the appointment of Jenner, but the minutes of that December 16, WC executive session also tell us that Warren had run the name of Jenner by Dean Acheson and Tom Clark, and he explained it was because Acheson and Clark both knew Jenner from serving on panels with him, related to formulation of legal procedure/policy.

McCloy, at the prior WC session, had succeed in removing Earl Warren choice Warren Olney, in favor of J. Lee Rankin as WC Counsel. The history of the Union Pacific railroad reveals that in the same time period, Robert A. Lovett, related to his responsibilities at the Union Pacific, was meeting with "Henry Crown and his lawyer" for the purpose of discussing a merger of Crown's Rock Island RR holdings in a bid to gain control of Rock Island and then a merger.

Do you think it is coincidence, that the presence of three, of "the Six Friends",

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C1A960948260

converge here. around the appointment of Albert Jenner?

Henry Crown's principle business partner was Conrad Hilton, Crown was largest Hilton shareholder. Hilton was "an old friend" of Earl Warren. Warren's daughter, Virginia, was Conrad Hilton's social event escort for at least four years before her 1960 marriage. Henry Crown introduced Virginia to Queen Elizabeth at a 1957 reception that otherwise only included Crown, his wife, and directors of the Empire State Building holding corp. and their wives.

If this additional information about Henry Crown, Earl Warren, and Albert Jenner had been available to you before the final edit of your book, would you have included it? You speculated about Jenner's motivation to avoid digging into George de Mohrenschildt's background and role.

Linda, I did indeed find remarkable information on ties between mineral extraction enterprises, not just in the United States but around the world, and covert operations. I do get into that subject in Family of Secrets, and include a lot of new material, but I have a great deal more that could easily fill a second or third book. The general notion that companies seeking precious metals, fuels, and the like would be concerned about influencing government decisions is hardly shocking or new. Fine books like Thy Will Be Done, by my friends Gerard Colby and Charlotte Dennett, explore certain aspects of that. One of the important discussions we are not having in this country is whether the interests of these companies are one and the same as those of the American people, and whether we want our public and publicly-funded security services functioning in part as a kind of private army on behalf of extractors.

...Secondly, I read your great observations and unique facts of Warren Commission senior assistant counsel, Albert E. Jenner Jr., on page 79 of your book and pages 124 - 128. Were you aware that there is much documentation supporting the idea that Jenner was placed on the WC, and charged with investigating the possibility of a conspiracy, because he was "Mafia financier", Henry Crown's lawyer? Crown's son, John J., joined Jenner's law firm in 1959, and was still there as a partner, in 1969. Jenner seems to have only been Crown's personnel attorney, and by extension, attorney for Material Services Corp., the Crown family corporation, merged into General Dynamics in 1959. There were many reports that Henry Crown, 20 percent owner of General Dynamics and chair of it's executive committee, was exposed financially as LBJ was exposed politically, by the direction the TFX scandal was taking in the months leading up to November 22, 1963. ...

If this additional information about Henry Crown, Earl Warren, and Albert Jenner had been available to you before the final edit of your book, would you have included it? You speculated about Jenner's motivation to avoid digging into George de Mohrenschildt's background and role.

Tom,

It sounds as if you have lots of important information about this subject, but very little of it relates to the title of Mr. Baker's book about the forces that put the Bush Dynasty in the White House.

Why did you, in framing your question, fail to mention that Henry Crown's company was involved in dredging work in the Philippines and in the Caribbean preparing one of the islands to be a casino resort?

I would submit that everyone has a different take on these facts, but, having written articles myself, know that publishers and editors are always cutting out anything that doesn't relate to the specific topic.

My interest in Henry Crown as head of the Materials Service Corp. in Chicago is whether he may have been involved in mining or recovery of strategic minerals that would have necessitated security clearance. It has been discussed in other circles that he was used in the Philippines to recover Japanese gold that was then laundered through gambling casinos somehow which I don't pretend to understand.

In addition, and I would ask Mr. Baker to comment on this:

• Did you find in your research any common threads to mining operations and covert intelligence operations, and if so, do you think that is significant in understanding the real purpose of, for example, the CIA?

Edited by Russ Baker

Linda, I did indeed find remarkable information on ties between mineral extraction enterprises, not just in the United States but around the world, and covert operations. I do get into that subject in Family of Secrets, and include a lot of new material, but I have a great deal more that could easily fill a second or third book. The general notion that companies seeking precious metals, fuels, and the like would be concerned about influencing government decisions is hardly shocking or new. Fine books like Thy Will Be Done, by my friends Gerard Colby and Charlotte Dennett, explore certain aspects of that. One of the important discussions we are not having in this country is whether the interests of these companies are one and the same as those of the American people, and whether we want our public and publicly-funded security services functioning in part as a kind of private army on behalf of extractors.
...Secondly, I read your great observations and unique facts of Warren Commission senior assistant counsel, Albert E. Jenner Jr., on page 79 of your book and pages 124 - 128. Were you aware that there is much documentation supporting the idea that Jenner was placed on the WC, and charged with investigating the possibility of a conspiracy, because he was "Mafia financier", Henry Crown's lawyer? Crown's son, John J., joined Jenner's law firm in 1959, and was still there as a partner, in 1969. Jenner seems to have only been Crown's personnel attorney, and by extension, attorney for Material Services Corp., the Crown family corporation, merged into General Dynamics in 1959. There were many reports that Henry Crown, 20 percent owner of General Dynamics and chair of it's executive committee, was exposed financially as LBJ was exposed politically, by the direction the TFX scandal was taking in the months leading up to November 22, 1963. ...

Tom,

It sounds as if you have lots of important information about this subject, but very little of it relates to the title of Mr. Baker's book about the forces that put the Bush Dynasty in the White House.

Why did you, in framing your question, fail to mention that Henry Crown's company was involved in dredging work in the Philippines and in the Caribbean preparing one of the islands to be a casino resort?

I would submit that everyone has a different take on these facts, but, having written articles myself, know that publishers and editors are always cutting out anything that doesn't relate to the specific topic.

My interest in Henry Crown as head of the Materials Service Corp. in Chicago is whether he may have been involved in mining or recovery of strategic minerals that would have necessitated security clearance. It has been discussed in other circles that he was used in the Philippines to recover Japanese gold that was then laundered through gambling casinos somehow which I don't pretend to understand.

• Did you find in your research any common threads to mining operations and covert intelligence operations, and if so, do you think that is significant in understanding the real purpose of, for example, the CIA?

A somewhat overlooked point of reference that should be mentioned is Conrad Hilton's book Be My Guest. First published by Prentice Hall Press in 1957, there was an additional printing under Fireside/Simon & Schuster. Of course his son is Barron Hilton.

His book is filled with the names of the rich and famous and other assorted oddities......

Among them

Colonel Henry Crown millionaire head of Material Services Corporation. page 208.

Henry L. Hollis, the dignified elderly trustee for the Palmer estate. page 209

Billy Friedman

George W. Loudermilk

Shearn Moody

R.L. Thornton

Albert Bacon Fall

Ira Casteel

Major Powers

Ruth Bush

C.P. Smith

Will Keleher

L.M. Drown

Elizabeth Keller

"I also began studying Palmer House history." page 214

Lady Nancy Astor

among others.......

Once married to Zsa Zsa Gabor

"Just after Zsa Zsa and I separated I bought the Dayton Biltmore in Dayton, Ohio."

"For all my boasting, at the very crucial moment I found myself a million dollars

short. I called Henry on the phone. "I need a million dolllars quick."........

........"I'll let you have it Connie, just tell Hugo Anderson at the First National

that I said to let you have the million." That was a great moment. page 213

page 233 has a section that reads..."Both the State Department and the

Department of Commerce suggested that the Hilton organization could

make a substantial contribution to the government program of Foreign Aid

by establishing American operated hotels in important world cities."

It is impossible to capture the degree of detail that Russ Baker's new book offers. Here, however is a summery of his new revelations and how they relate to

H.W. Bush CIA agent in 1963 and

George de Mohrenschildt, long understood to be the 1# CIA handler of Oswald in Dallas, who was killed two days before being scheduled to testify before the House Select

Committee on Assassinations in 1977.

----

By now, we have enough information to show, fairly conclusively, that Oswald was being managed by Poppy's old friend de Mohrenschildt. We also have others connected with

Poppy (H.W. Bush) closely associated with the evnts of November. And we have Poppy creating an alibi for himself.

Details on who fired the gun, whose gun it was, and how many shots were fired from where remain releveant, but become of secondary importance. The central question is the story

that lies behind these details.

In summation, here's just some of the new, relvant information:

* Poppy Bush was closely tied to key members of the intelligence community including the deposed CIA head with a known grudge against JFK; he was also tied to Texas oligarchs

who hated Kennedy's politics and whose wealth was directly threatened by Kennedy; this network was part of the military/intelligence elite with a history of using assassination

as an instument of policy.

* Poppy Bush was in Dallas on November 21 and most likely the morning of November 22. He hid that fact, he lied about knowing where he was, then he created an alibi based

on a lead he knew was false. And he never acknowledged the closeness of his relationship with Oswald's handler George de Mohrenschildt.

* Poppy's business partner Thomas Devine met with de Mohrenschildt during that period, on behalf of the CIA

* Poppy's eventual Texas running mate in the 1964 election, Jack Crichton, was connected to the military intellignece figures who led Kennedy's motercade.

* Crichton and D. Harold Byrd, owner of the Texas School Book Depository building, were both conected to de Mohrenschildt-- and directly ot each other though oil-

buisiness dealings.

* Byrd brought in the tenant that hired Oswald shortly before the assassination.

* Oswald got his job in the building through a friend of de Mohrenschildt's with her own intelligence conncections-- including family ties to Allen Dulles.

Even Jack Ruby's slaying of Oswald fits the larger pattern seen here-- one in which Oswald is indeed a "patsy"-- a pawn in a deadly game who would never be permitted to say

what he knew (78)

Ruby himself practically admitted as much. After his trial, he made a statement to reporters as to his motives in shooting Oswald, and essentially admitted to a conspiracy.

RUBY: Everything pertaining to what's happening has never come to the surface. The world will never know the true facts, of what occured,

my motives. The people had, that had so much to gain and had such an ulterior motive for putting me in the position I'm in , will never

let the true facts come above board to the world.

REPORTER: Are these people in very high positions, Jack?

RUBY: Yes (79)

Family of Secrets pp. 117-118

Review of Russ Baker's book in the Washington Post by Jamie Malanowski:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9010802710.html

Halfway through the concluding chapter of Family of Secrets, Russ Baker mentions, not entirely modestly, that when a colleague heard some of the things he would be disclosing in his almost 600-page book about the Bush family and its connections to John F. Kennedy's assassination, Watergate and many other pivotal events, the colleague "suggested, only half in jest, that the book be called 'Everything You Thought You Knew Is Wrong.' "

Well, any investigative journalist whose credo isn't "Everything You Thought Is Wrong" should probably pack it in. No quality, not even doggedness, is more important than the ability to embrace the belief that, despite what everyone else thinks, only the reporter really knows the truth. But with this big challenge comes a big burden of proof. As history's tide rolls out, we may eventually discover that everything we think we know about the George Bushes, père et fils, is wrong and that everything Baker alleges about them in his book -- their secrets, their labors on behalf of powerful, self-serving interests -- is right on the money. Despite strenuous efforts, however, Baker doesn't prove it here.

A softer sell would have served him better. A capable investigator who has written for the New Yorker and Vanity Fair, Baker is skillful at taking bits of information and placing them in contexts that make the Bush family's behavior and decisions look unusual and, frequently, nefarious. Had he been satisfied to raise suspicions, he would have been provocative and, on some counts, persuasive. But by trying to explain everything, to create a unified field theory of American tragedy that has the Bushes as the key actors and beneficiaries, Baker exceeds his grasp.

Take, for example, the many details Baker has collected about George H.W. Bush and his activities in Texas in the 1950s and early '60s. Baker's cornerstone is a memo, reported by the Nation magazine in 1988, in which J. Edgar Hoover says the FBI spoke to "Mr. George Bush of the Central Intelligence Agency" after John F. Kennedy's assassination. To that Baker adds suggestive pieces of information about the Bush family-Yale-Skull & Bones-CIA-oil industry nexus. All this, taken together, advances the possibility that the elder Bush was at least a minor asset to the CIA, and maybe more, when he was doing business in Latin America and the Caribbean early in the Cold War. As everyone knows, Bush became the CIA's director in 1976. But Family of Secrets posits that his connections to the agency go back much earlier. Baker then scrutinizes the elder Bush's movements on Nov. 22, 1963. On the morning of the assassination, he was in Dallas, then flew to Tyler, Tex., to speak at a luncheon (the speech was cancelled when the shooting was reported; Baker notes that Bush remained "supremely well composed''), then flew back to Dallas and on to Houston, but not before phoning the FBI from Tyler to report his suspicions that a Republican Party activist might have been involved in the killing. Add in a handful of Bush associates who had interesting (and in one case downright bizarre) connections to the event, the author's general distrust of right-wing oilmen, an argument that the CIA had its own reasons for hating Kennedy, and suddenly you have a scenario that starts to sound like a conspiracy. Baker never explains how Bush might have been involved in the assassination; he only suggests that having apparently developed ties to the CIA and having had these weird friends and having done this odd informer thing -- possibly to establish an alibi -- well, he must be up to his neck in something.

And who knows? But the Nation asked George H.W. Bush in 1988 if he were the person Hoover was referring to, and a spokesman for the then-vice president said no. The CIA produced another George Bush who had been on its staff at the time of the assassination, although that guy also denied having dealt with the FBI. Baker suggests that this was some kind of cover story to protect Bush 41, but what kind of cover story is it when the coverer doesn't stick to the story?

The point is, Baker is not content merely to raise uncomfortable questions; he has latched onto the Grand Theory of Bushativity, and he insists on pressing his case with evidence that will not bear the weight. Every time he reaches a gap in someone's means or motivation, he hops, skips and jumps across it as nimbly as a mountain goat. Such words as "appears,'' "apparently,'' "likely,'' "seems,'' "seemingly'' and "in all likelihood" appear at many crucial junctures; there are more crutches in these pages than in the grotto at Lourdes.

Baker also hurts himself by consistently thinking the worst of his subjects, even on matters only tangentially related to his central argument. He makes a big deal, for example, out of inconsistencies in the elder Bush's accounts of being shot down during World War II. Smith suggests that Bush changed his story to seem more courageous and to diminish his responsibility for the lives of his crew. Never mind studies that point to the unreliability of eyewitness testimony, and set aside all we know about how the passing of time messes with memory. Just think: Bush was flying an airplane and trying to bomb a target while people were trying to kill him, and they very nearly succeeded. I've never been in that position, so I can't say how well I would have recollected events. I can say I have gone into a supermarket with two small children and come out having forgotten to buy the very item I went to the store to get. Baker's Javert-like pursuit makes him seem unreasonable.

This is just one of many places where the author overplays his hand. In a particularly weak section, he argues that Bush was complicit in a plot to undermine Richard Nixon. Here Baker relies on revisionist accounts of Watergate that point to John Dean as the one who ordered the break-in, or to the CIA as conspiring to oust Nixon. Bush is linked to these fuzzy schemes primarily by having, like the Watergate burglars, a CIA connection. In addition, Baker finds it suspicious that Bush advised Nixon to come clean about the break-in. But such advice was highly conventional and could be considered anti-Nixon only if you buy the idea that Bush prodded an innocent president to admit to something that didn't involve him. Baker doesn't convincingly cast Bush as anything beyond a sycophantic, Zelig-like presence in the Nixon years.

The later chapters of the book, about George W. Bush, are more plausible, if only because Baker breaks less ground in his coverage of the family's connections to Saudi Arabia and the younger Bush's record in the National Guard. But having seen Baker stretch his evidence in the early chapters, a reader cannot be entirely sure that he isn't doing the same thing again. The next time this intrepid investigator takes aim at a subject, he might remember that it is wiser to underpromise and overdeliver than vice versa.

Jamie Malanowski, a New York writer, is the author of the novel "The Coup."

On Owner of the building rented to the private and intelligence-connected company know as the Texas School Book depository Harold Byrd:

The important point here it that a division of the CIA was producing general non-fiction books, and it would not be inconceivable that it was

also interested in the textbooks distributed by companies such as the texas School Book Depository.

Allen Dulles even infiltrated that paragon of objectivity the Encyclopedia Britanica, whitewashing the agency's Bay of Pigs fiasco in an article in the

1963 Book of the Year.(63)

It is worth noting that D. Harold Byrd, a big-game hunter, decided to take his first-ever foreign safari--to Africa-- during this period. That removed

him from Dallas precisely when the assassination took place. Besides Byrd's far right politics, his founding role in Civil Air Patrol, and his ties to de

Mohrenschildt, he evidently rejoiced in Kennedy's assassination-- as suggested by the macabre fact that he arranged for the window from which

Oswald purportedly fired the fatal shots to be removed and set up at his home. (64) (Family of Secrets page 113)

. . .

Another salient fact is that, on the day of the assassination, Deputy Police Chief George L. Lumpkin was driving the pilot car of the Kennedy's motorcade

a quarter miel ahead of JFK's vehcle (69) Lumpkin was a fiend of Hack Crighton, Poppy Bush's GOP colleague. Like Crighton, moreover, he was a member

of an Army Intelligence Reserve Unit.(Lumpkin would later tell the House Select Committee on Assassinations that he had been consulted by the Secret Service

on motorcade security, and his input had eliminated an alternative route.)(70) In the car with Lumpkin was another Army officer, Lieutenant Colonel George

Whitmeyer, commander of all Army reserve units in East Texas, who happened to be Jack Crighton's boss in the Reserve. (see earlier post on Crighton)

Although Whitmeyer was not on the police list of those approved to ride in the pilot car, he had insisted that he be in the vehicle and remained there until the

shooting. The only recorded stop made by the pilot car was directly in front of the Depository building. Lumpkin stoped briefly there, and spoke briefly to

a policeman handling traffic at the corner of Houston and and Elm.

Ya just 'got 'ta love this free and educational Bush Dart Board!

http://mtblog.vanityfair.com/online/politi...aphic12-30.html

Peter, VF.com has now modified that "dartboard", which is really a kind of schematic, to note that it originated with Family of Secrets. We were of course very pleased that Vanity Fair proposed that we develop some kind of book graphic for their site, and I commissioned it from Linda Eckstein, a very talented information designer who spent years working for Fortune. You can "visit" the graphic, and much of the press coverage on Family of Secrets, by regularly visiting our site, www.familyofsecrets.com

Tom,

A somewhat overlooked point of reference that should be mentioned is Conrad Hilton's book Be My Guest. First published by Prentice Hall Press in 1957, there was an additional printing under Fireside/Simon & Schuster. Of course his son is Barron Hilton.

His book is filled with the names of the rich and famous and other assorted oddities......

Among them

Colonel Henry Crown millionaire head of Material Services Corporation. page 208.

Henry L. Hollis, the dignified elderly trustee for the Palmer estate. page 209

Billy Friedman

George W. Loudermilk

Shearn Moody

R.L. Thornton

Albert Bacon Fall

Ira Casteel

Major Powers

Ruth Bush

C.P. Smith

Will Keleher

L.M. Drown

Elizabeth Keller

"I also began studying Palmer House history." page 214

Lady Nancy Astor

among others.......

Once married to Zsa Zsa Gabor

"Just after Zsa Zsa and I separated I bought the Dayton Biltmore in Dayton, Ohio."

"For all my boasting, at the very crucial moment I found myself a million dollars

short. I called Henry on the phone. "I need a million dolllars quick."........

........"I'll let you have it Connie, just tell Hugo Anderson at the First National

that I said to let you have the million." That was a great moment. page 213

page 233 has a section that reads..."Both the State Department and the

Department of Commerce suggested that the Hilton organization could

make a substantial contribution to the government program of Foreign Aid

by establishing American operated hotels in important world cities."

Edited by Russ Baker

Tom, the Conrad Hilton material is of interest to me. Hope we can talk more about this--directly, perhaps--as soon as things slow down a bit on the book front.

Thank you for the opportunity, Russ !

I can understand you wanted to frame your Bush family focus on GHWB and GWB, but I was surprised not to find any mention of Samuel F. Pryor or Sam Pryor Jr, nor of Jupiter Island.

Since Samuel F. Pryor and GH Walker came from St. Louis, as did Samuel Bush, and Pryor and Samuel Bush were Rockefeller family surrogates, and because Jupiter Island became the most concentrated intersection of the wealthiest, Dillon, Mellon, the military industrialist, Walter Carpenter of Dupont, and the defense and intelligence hierarchy (R A. Lovett, asst. sect'y of war for air forces, WWII, Sect'y of War, Patterson's appointee to chair committee creating CIA, and Sect'y of Defense during Korean War), though Carpenter, Du Pont lawyer during Sen. Nye "merchant of death" hearings, "Wild Bill" Donovan, David KE Bruce, brother-in-law of Paul Mellon, Allen Dulles, Harriman Bros. lawyer and OSS chief, NY and Basil, and through Lovett, Trubee Davison, his best friend, early CIA personnel director, fellow Yale bonesman, son of JP Morgan partner, as well as the rest the Jupiter Island cast of characters, did you avoid these GHWB origins, because of Tarpley's earlier book?

You gave Prescott Bush's Pan Am board membership a mention, but wan't it related to Sam Pryor Jr.'s role as executive VP at Pan Am? Sam was Willkie's 1940 eatern states campaign manager. he introduced Willkie to WR Davis, American "oil man" and Nazi abwehr agent C-80. The O. John Rogge Nazi Report, suppressed by Atty. Gen. Tom Clark in 1946, includes verification by Goering and Rippentrop, as told to Rogge in interrogations at Nuremberg, that Davis financed, with Nazi provided funds, union leader John L. Lewis's nationally broadcast, October, 1940 speech endorsing Willkie for president. There are a number of books, published during the last 50 years, confirming that Willkie knew Davis was providing large sums of Nazi money to his campaign.

Sam Pryor Jr. gave Charles Lindbergh, 5 acres of his 100 acre Hawaiin estate, to build Lindbergh's retirement home on. Instead of burial next to Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Charles rests in a small Oahu, HI cemetery next to Sam Pryor Jr. Pryor's father, Samuel F., was an original incorporator, according to National Archive documents in the files of the Alien Property Custodian, of Hamburg America Line, and Union Bank Corp., bot confisacted as Nazi owned corporations in 1942.

You "went there", with your description of William Farish III"s granfather's role at Esso NJ, but you did not include the charge that Farish was a principle in the Farben cartel that provided tetra-ethyl lead to make the "Av-gas" that, if unavailable, would have grounded the Luftwaffe in the battle of Britain. GHWB has referred to Farish III as his "best friend". Is it not significant that, after the 1943 death of Farish III's father in an Army Air Force plane crash, that his male role model was his maternal grandfather, 1940 isolationist movement leader, and extreme right wing organizer, Gen. Robert E. Wood, or that Farish III is married to a Du pont heiress?

My question comes down to whether you deliberately avoided writing about what I am finding, and what is also found in the bio's on John Simkin's Spartacus site.... that GHWB and GWB are "the surface" of an intergenerational movement of right oriented, to the point of fascist, wealthiest, most powerful families who frame (dictate?) the platforms and agendas of both US parties, and US military and foreign policy?

Secondly, I read your great observations and unique facts of Warren Commission senior assistant counsel, Albert E. Jenner Jr., on page 79 of your book and pages 124 - 128. Were you aware that there is much documentation supporting the idea that Jenner was placed on the WC, and charged with investigating the possibility of a conspiracy, because he was "Mafia financier", Henry Crown's lawyer? Crown's son, John J., joined Jenner's law firm in 1959, and was still there as a partner, in 1969. Jenner seems to have only been Crown's personnel attorney, and by extension, attorney for Material Services Corp., the Crown family corporation, merged into General Dynamics in 1959. There were many reports that Henry Crown, 20 percent owner of General Dynamics and chair of it's executive committee, was exposed financially as LBJ was exposed politically, by the direction the TFX scandal was taking in the months leading up to November 22, 1963. The man who Crown hired in 1960 as president of Material Service and Vice President of General Dynamics, Patrick H. Hoy, was dcoumented by Peter Dale Scott and other sources to be a close friend of Sidney Korshak and of Charles "Babe" Baron. Hoy, manager and then president of the Chicago Hotel Sherman group, also had an at least eleven year, daily relationship with Irv Kupcinet. Irv's daily newspaper column assistant writers, writing under the name, "Ivan Bunny", testified to the WC that they were tell lifelong friends of Jack Ruby, and they owned the Clover bar next to the Hotel Sherman.

You wrote that Earl Warren proposed the appointment of Jenner, but the minutes of that December 16, WC executive session also tell us that Warren had run the name of Jenner by Dean Acheson and Tom Clark, and he explained it was because Acheson and Clark both knew Jenner from serving on panels with him, related to formulation of legal procedure/policy.

McCloy, at the prior WC session, had succeed in removing Earl Warren choice Warren Olney, in favor of J. Lee Rankin as WC Counsel. The history of the Union Pacific railroad reveals that in the same time period, Robert A. Lovett, related to his responsibilities at the Union Pacific, was meeting with "Henry Crown and his lawyer" for the purpose of discussing a merger of Crown's Rock Island RR holdings in a bid to gain control of Rock Island and then a merger.

Do you think it is coincidence, that the presence of three, of "the Six Friends",

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C1A960948260

converge here. around the appointment of Albert Jenner?

Henry Crown's principle business partner was Conrad Hilton, Crown was largest Hilton shareholder. Hilton was "an old friend" of Earl Warren. Warren's daughter, Virginia, was Conrad Hilton's social event escort for at least four years before her 1960 marriage. Henry Crown introduced Virginia to Queen Elizabeth at a 1957 reception that otherwise only included Crown, his wife, and directors of the Empire State Building holding corp. and their wives.

Review of Russ Baker's book in the Washington Post by Jamie Malanowski:

And who knows? But the Nation asked George H.W. Bush in 1988 if he were the person Hoover was referring to, and a spokesman for the then-vice president said no. The CIA produced another George Bush who had been on its staff at the time of the assassination, although that guy also denied having dealt with the FBI. Baker suggests that this was some kind of cover story to protect Bush 41, but what kind of cover story is it when the coverer doesn't stick to the story? ...

In a particularly weak section, he argues that Bush was complicit in a plot to undermine Richard Nixon. Here Baker relies on revisionist accounts of Watergate that point to John Dean as the one who ordered the break-in, or to the CIA as conspiring to oust Nixon. Bush is linked to these fuzzy schemes primarily by having, like the Watergate burglars, a CIA connection. In addition, Baker finds it suspicious that Bush advised Nixon to come clean about the break-in. But such advice was highly conventional and could be considered anti-Nixon only if you buy the idea that Bush prodded an innocent president to admit to something that didn't involve him. Baker doesn't convincingly cast Bush as anything beyond a sycophantic, Zelig-like presence in the Nixon years. ...

I find myself wondering if the reviewer even read the book. Perhaps as a novelist, she isn't aware of how difficult it is to dig up evidence to support a conclusion when virtually everything surrounding the life of an individual and his family is stamped "top secret." I think Russ Baker reveals that quite clearly to anyone who has done any research into how intelligence operation work. The question in my mind is "Do we want intelligence operatives, whose lives are controlled by plausible deniability--in short, lies--to take our oath to support the United States Constitution?

Quoting Baker about George William Bush, the "coverer": "I do not recognize the contents of the memorandum as information furnished to me orally or otherwise during the time I was at the CIA," he said. "In fact, during my time at the CIA, I did not receive any oral communications from any government agency of any nature whatsoever. I did not receive any information relating to the Kennedy assassination during my time at the CIA from the FBI. Based on the above, it is my conclusion that I am not the Mr. George Bush of the Central Intelligence Agency referred to in the memorandum."

Rather than taking that statement and realizing that the only possibility for George H.W. Bush's cover was removed as being THE George Bush of the CIA that the memo could have referred to, Malanowski concludes Baker did not achieve HIS goal of explaining why this person didn't back up the CIA strategy!

Secondly, I have to wonder if the Washington Post in publishing this review is still out to keep "Katie Graham's tit out of a wringer," as John Mitchell so aptly phrased the Post's Watergate expose at the time. Russ Baker does not fail to point out the participation her father, Eugene Meyer, had in financing George Bush's oil business in Texas from the very first days of his career, as well as the fact that Meyer had accounts handled by Bush's uncle at Brown Brothers Harriman.