The Education Forum

E-HELP Team

John Simkin

I have been a history teacher since 1977. In 1979 I was a founder member of the Tressell Publishing Cooperative and in 1984 established Spartacus Educational. Since 1997 I have run the Spartacus Educational website. I have also produced electronic and online resources for a wide range of different organisations including the Guardian (Learn), the Daily Telegraph (Electronic Telegraph), British Library, Historical Association and Becta. I was also a founder member of the Association of Teacher Websites and an early member of the European Virtual School.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/

http://www.byteachers.org.uk

http://vs.eun.org/eun.org2/eun/en/index_vs.cfm

I am Head of History Department in a Secondary School in Alcorcón, near Madrid. I am mainly interested in history teaching on the internet and I have set up my own web site http://www.historiasiglo20.org/ which is focused on 20th century history. I am a member of Virtual School and I have been collaborating in different European projects (Comenius, Spring Day in Europe).

I taught history in an inner-city secondary school in Manchester for about 20 years before moving into history teacher education in the early 1990s. Throughout this period I have been interested in the use of new technology in history teaching and it was the subject of my doctoral thesis, tracing the development of ICT in school history over the past 30 years. The main bit of my current job is training history graduates to be secondary history teachers, but I also undertake research into the use of ICT in history. I was Co-editor (together with Christine Counsell) of History, ICT and Learning (London, RoutledgeFalmer 2003), a collection of chapters from several leading UK practitioners in the field of history and ICT, and have a (modest) website at:

http://www.uea.ac.uk/~m242/

I was born in communist Czechoslovakia 1948. In 1968, after the occupation of my country by Warszawa Pact countries suppressing the “Prague spring” I moved to Sweden.

After five years of studies at University of Stockholm and different petty jobs I started to teach at Fredrika Bremergymnasiet, an upper secondary school situated in a suburb of Stockholm in 1980.

During the 1990s I worked with information technology and pedagogical issues first at Knowledge and Competence Foundation then at National Agency for Education. Now I’m back at my old school teaching the subjects of History, Civics and International Relations.

I have been engaged in activities of Virtual School since its start. I have been Head of History department since 1998.

Edited by Dalibor Svoboda

I am a History teacher teaching in a Secondary School in Heerlen, The Netherlands. I run my own website Sintermeerten History website. I also work closely together with a webdesign firm called E-Linq which is specialized in ICT implementation in schools. As a member of the Virtual School team I've become involved in the E-Help project.

My name is Alf Wilkinson and I was a history teacher, head of history and ICT Co-ordinator at a large comprehensive school in Bedford for many years. I left to run the Historical Association NOF training scheme. I know it is fashionable to knock NOF training but I think we helped a lot of teachers move on. I am now Professional Development Manager for the HA. This last year I have organised a national conference for history teachers on using ICT and been involved in various projects on behalf of the HA. I am interested in the story part of history, and making learning fun! Sometimes we forget that part of our calling.

I have written lots of online materials and have my own commercial website. I am also involved in writing textbooks. Apart from that, I like a quiet life in the country!

I am Andy Walker. I am Head of History and E-Learning Coordinator at Dartford Technology College. I have my own website at Education Forum.co.uk which I use to teach History, Sociology and Vocational Health and Social Care. My web site has been online since 1999.

I am the joint founder and an administrator of this forum. I also run the International Student Form in partnership with Richard Jones-Nerzic of the International School of Toulouse.

I have been involved in web based projects for the Learning Skills Development Agency and Kent County Council, and in writing work for CGP publications.

I am Richard Jones-Nerzic, History teacher and Head of Humanities at the International School of Toulouse. I am coordinator of the E-Help project.

When it opened in 1999, the IST was Europe's first fully laptop school. My website is an attempt to document this educational experiment.

I am an administrator of this forum and the Student Education Forum

I am also a member of the European Virtual School History Department.

• 3 weeks later...

My name is Anders MacGregor-Thunell. I’m currently a full-time teacher of History at Hvitfeldtska Gymnasiet, an Upper Secondary School with 1800 students, in the centre of the city of Gothenburg, Sweden. Most of the time I teach IB (International Baccalaureate) History, both Standard and Higher Level, but I also teach History within the ordinary Swedish system. Since 1998 I’ve been the Head of the History Department at Hvitfeldtska Gymnasiet.

I started my teaching career in the middle of the 1970’s. Just a few years ago I became a member of the Virtual School. Through VS I participate in the development of international web-pages within different history topics. During the last years I have also built up the History Department site on our school’s intranet. :ice

http://www.macgregorishistory.com/

• 1 month later...

I have been recently appointed Language and Humanities Consultant at the Teachers' Resource Centre of Alcorcon (Madrid). My specialty is and has been Foreign Language Teaching, English to be more precise. From my present position and as member of the History E-Learning Project, I am incharge of providing resources and training to the teachers of this area of Madrid. In what concerns the H.E.L. Project, I think my aim is to contribute with my knowledge of English Language Teaching foresseing the main problems that history teaching may have in non-native students. Besides, extending knowledge of examples of good practice at a local, regional, national and international level in what concerns the teaching history in English in non-native environmente is another area of deep interest.