The Education Forum

Ruth Paine's Station Wagon

Mark,

The WCR altered Craig's deposition to hide the true facts & to concoct the LN rubbish. Craig writes:

I first saw my testimony in January of 1968 when I looked at the 26 volumes which belonged to Penn Jones. My alleged statement was included. The following are some of the changes in my testimony:

Arnold Rowland told me that he saw two men on the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository 15 minutes before the President arrived: one was a Negro, who was pacing back and forth by the southwest window. The other was a white man in the southeast corner, with a rifle equipped with a scope, and that a few minutes later he looked back and only the white man was there. In the Warren Commission: Both were white, both were pacing in front of the southwest corner and when Rowland looked back, both were gone;

I said the Rambler station wagon was light green. The Warren Commission: Changed to a white station wagon;

I said the driver of the Station Wagon had on a tan jacket. The Warren Commission: A white jacket;

I said the license plates on the Rambler were not the same color as Texas plates. The Warren Commission: Omitted the not -- omitted but one word, an important one, so that it appeared that the license plates were the same color as Texas plates;

I said that I got a good look at the driver of the Rambler. The Warren Commission: I did not get a good look at the Rambler. (In Captain Fritz's office) I had said that Fritz had said to Oswald, "This man saw you leave" (indicating me). Oswald said, "I told you people I did." Fritz then said, "Now take it easy, son, we're just trying to find out what happened", and then (to Oswald), "What about the car?" to which Oswald replied, "That station wagon belongs to Mrs. Paine. Don't try to drag her into this." Fritz said car -- station wagon was not mentioned by anyone but Oswald. (I had told Fritz over the telephone that I saw a man get into a station wagon, before I went to the Dallas Police Department and I had also described the man. This is when Fritz asked me to come there.) Oswald then said, "Everybody will know who I am now;" the Warren Commission: Stated that the last statement by Oswald was made in a dramatic tone. This was not so. The Warren Commission also printed, "NOW everybody will know who I am", transposing the now. Oswald's tone and attitude was one of disappointment. If someone were attempting to conceal his identity as Deputy and he was found out, exposed -- his cover blown, his reaction would be dismay and disappointment. This was Oswald's tone and attitude -- disappointment at being exposed!

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/JFK/WTKaP.html

On the Roger Craig veracity subject, these images seem to verify Craig's Mauser testimony. This is from film footage shot on the sixth floor soon after the assassination. I'm not sure if Gil didn't do this composite on YouTube.

There clearly is a second scoped rifle propped against a box seen behind (underneath) the rifle in the foreground which is being examined. Two scoped rifles? :blink: Did Lee have two? One as backup? I don't want to jump to any rash conclusions here, but is it possible that there were 2 Lone Nuts? Naauugh.....

2rifles2.jpg

2rifles3.jpg

Bagel a bump!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

The WCR altered Craig's deposition to hide the true facts & to concoct the LN rubbish. Craig writes:

I first saw my testimony in January of 1968 when I looked at the 26 volumes which belonged to Penn Jones. My alleged statement was included. The following are some of the changes in my testimony:

Arnold Rowland told me that he saw two men on the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository 15 minutes before the President arrived: one was a Negro, who was pacing back and forth by the southwest window. The other was a white man in the southeast corner, with a rifle equipped with a scope, and that a few minutes later he looked back and only the white man was there. In the Warren Commission: Both were white, both were pacing in front of the southwest corner and when Rowland looked back, both were gone;

I said the Rambler station wagon was light green. The Warren Commission: Changed to a white station wagon;

I said the driver of the Station Wagon had on a tan jacket. The Warren Commission: A white jacket;

I said the license plates on the Rambler were not the same color as Texas plates. The Warren Commission: Omitted the not -- omitted but one word, an important one, so that it appeared that the license plates were the same color as Texas plates;

I said that I got a good look at the driver of the Rambler. The Warren Commission: I did not get a good look at the Rambler. (In Captain Fritz's office) I had said that Fritz had said to Oswald, "This man saw you leave" (indicating me). Oswald said, "I told you people I did." Fritz then said, "Now take it easy, son, we're just trying to find out what happened", and then (to Oswald), "What about the car?" to which Oswald replied, "That station wagon belongs to Mrs. Paine. Don't try to drag her into this." Fritz said car -- station wagon was not mentioned by anyone but Oswald. (I had told Fritz over the telephone that I saw a man get into a station wagon, before I went to the Dallas Police Department and I had also described the man. This is when Fritz asked me to come there.) Oswald then said, "Everybody will know who I am now;" the Warren Commission: Stated that the last statement by Oswald was made in a dramatic tone. This was not so. The Warren Commission also printed, "NOW everybody will know who I am", transposing the now. Oswald's tone and attitude was one of disappointment. If someone were attempting to conceal his identity as Deputy and he was found out, exposed -- his cover blown, his reaction would be dismay and disappointment. This was Oswald's tone and attitude -- disappointment at being exposed!

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/JFK/WTKaP.html

On the Roger Craig veracity subject, these images seem to verify Craig's Mauser testimony. This is from film footage shot on the sixth floor soon after the assassination. I'm not sure if Gil didn't do this composite on YouTube.

There clearly is a second scoped rifle propped against a box seen behind (underneath) the rifle in the foreground which is being examined. Two scoped rifles? :ice Did Lee have two? One as backup? I don't want to jump to any rash conclusions here, but is it possible that there were 2 Lone Nuts? Naauugh.....

2rifles2.jpg

2rifles3.jpg

Bagel a bump!

Right. The SS didn't know that they were not there. But somebody else knew. See Craig:

I ran to the front of the Texas School Book Depository where I asked for anyone involved in the investigation. There was a man standing on the steps of the Book Depository Building and he turned to me and said, "I'm with the Secret Service." This man was about 40 years old, sandy-haired with a distinct cleft in his chin. He was well-dressed in a gray business suit. I was naive enough at the time to believe that the only people there were actually officers -- after all, this was the command post. I gave him the information. He showed little interest in the persons leaving. However, he seemed extremely interested in the description of the Rambler. This was the only part of my statement which he wrote down in his little pad he was holding. Point: Mrs. Ruth Paine, the woman Marina Oswald lived with in Irving, Texas, owned a Rambler station wagon, at that time, of this same color.

I learned nothing of this "Secret Service Agent's" identity until December 22, 1967 while we were living in New Orleans. The television was on as I came home from work one night and there on the screen was a picture of this man. I did not know what it was all about until my wife told me that Jim Garrison had charged him with being a part of the assassination plot. I called Jim Garrison then and told him that this was the man I had seen in Dallas on November 22, 1963. Jim then sent one of his investigators to see me with a better picture which I identified. I then learned that this man's name was Edgar Eugene Bradley. It was a relief to me to know his name for I had been bothered by the fact that I had failed to get his name when he had told me he was a Secret Service Agent and I had given him my information. On the night of the assassination when I had come home and discussed the day with my wife I had, of course, told her of this encounter and my failure to get his name.

IOW, Oswald assumed that the station wagon Fritz mentioned to him before Craig arrived was Ruth's. Why?

Ruth Paine's '55 Chevy wagon:

http://www.cannet.com/~reesedw/ruth-paine.jpe

JWK

Thanks, JW.

Looks light blue to me. Did the Paines have it painted blue?

Michael owned a blue and white 1956 Oldsmobile sedan. Can anyone post a photo of that car or one like it?

Thanks,

--Thomas

Just ask, and ye shall receive....

1956.jpgoldsmobile.jpg

As for the color of the station wagon, it may have been one of those aqua colored cars that faded. I used to have an aqua '58 T-Bird that would look either blue, or green, depending on the eye of the beholder.

JWK

Edited by J. William King

JWK

Thanks, JW.

Michael owned a blue and white 1956 Oldsmobile sedan. Can anyone post a photo of that car or one like it?

Thanks,

--Thomas

1956.jpgoldsmobile.jpg

As for the color of the station wagon, it may have been one of those aqua colored cars that faded. I used to have an aqua '58 T-Bird that would look either blue, or green, depending on the eye of the beholder.

JWK

Thanks, JW. Great stuff. (BTW, nice-looking car too...)

To your knowledge, did any '55 Chevy station wagons have a luggage rack? The reason I ask is because Roger Craig said, in so many words, that he thought the station wagon in question (the one he saw LHO get into) was a Nash Rambler because it had a luggage rack. Do you think he could have mistaken Ruth's '55 Chevy station wagon for a Nash Rambler station wagon (with a luggage rack)? Do you (or anyone else on the forum) know whether Ruth's station wagon had a luggage rack? If it didn't, then I think Craig must have seen LHO get into someone else's vehicle (probably a Nash Rambler station wagon)....

Thanks,

--Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

JWK

Thanks, JW.

Thanks,

--Thomas

1956.jpgoldsmobile.jpg

JWK

To your knowledge, did any '55 Chevy station wagons have a luggage rack? The reason I ask is because Roger Craig said, in so many words, that he thought the station wagon in question (the one he saw LHO get into) was a Nash Rambler because it had a luggage rack. Do you think he could have mistaken Ruth's '55 Chevy station wagon for a Nash Rambler station wagon (with a luggage rack)? Do you (or anyone else on the forum) know whether Ruth's station wagon had a luggage rack? If it didn't, then I think Craig must have seen LHO get into someone else's vehicle (probably a Nash Rambler station wagon)....

Thanks,

--Thomas

Thomas,

I really don't know if they came from the factory with a luggage rack or not. Probably not, but I imagine they were a popular aftermarket (or dealer installed) addition. I'm guessing Mrs. Paine's car looked very similar to the photo below (minus the red wheels)....

71784.1955.Chevrolet.210.4-Door.Station.Wagon.6.Pass.jpg

Roger Craig was an active and trained police officer, and I doubt very much if he would have mistaken a '55 Chevy wagon for a later model Rambler. I'm not sure why simply having a luggage rack would tell him it was a Rambler as he states, however.

I'll keep digging through some old car ads and photos I have here.

JWK

JWK

Thanks, JW.

Thanks,

--Thomas

1956.jpgoldsmobile.jpg

JWK

Thanks,

--Thomas

Thomas,

I really don't know if they came from the factory with a luggage rack or not. Probably not, but I imagine they were a popular aftermarket (or dealer installed) addition. I'm guessing Mrs. Paine's car looked very similar to the photo below (minus the red wheels)....

71784.1955.Chevrolet.210.4-Door.Station.Wagon.6.Pass.jpg

Roger Craig was an active and trained police officer, and I doubt very much if he would have mistaken a '55 Chevy wagon for a later model Rambler. I'm not sure why simply having a luggage rack would tell him it was a Rambler as he states, however.

I'll keep digging through some old car ads and photos I have here.

JWK

Thanks for the input, JW.

I'm looking forward to seeing the image you're referring to when you say, "I'm guessing Mrs. Paine's car looked very similar to the photo below (minus the red wheels).... ."

Thanks,

--Thomas

This image below is of Ruth Paine's house. That sure looks like the rear end of a 1955 Chevy wagon on the far left of frame to me.

James

Yep. And when you enlarge it and look very closely, it sure as h--- looks like it has a luggage rack on top....

Darn, you're good James!

Thanks!

--Thomas

P.S. Any idea when the photo was taken?

P.S.S. JWK, do you agree that that station wagon is a '55 Chevy?

Edited by Thomas Graves

What is more interesting than what may, or may not be a '55 Chevy wagon (it sure looks like it might be, but I don't see the luggage rack), is the '55 or '56 Oldsmobile parked right in front of the house. If it is, it's the first picture I've seen of this car.

As for the '55 wagon with the red wheels I mentioned above, it won't show up on here for some reason. If you just Image-Google "55 Chevy Wagon", you'll see it, and a bunch of other ones too. BTW, I've poured over a bunch of print ads for '55 Chevy's that I have, and while they usually show the cars fully optioned up, none show a wagon with a luggage rack on it.

My personal feelings are that Ruth Paine's Chevy wagon was not in downtown Dallas that day. Station wagons were the minivans of that era, and they were everywhere.

JWK

[...] [Regarding the alleged] '55 Chevy wagon (it sure looks like it might be, but I don't see the luggage rack) [...]

JWK

JW (and James), I really appreciate all of your input on this thread!

Speaking just for myself, I can definitely see a luggage rack on top of the putative '55 Chevy station wagon parked in front of the Paine's house in James' post #37.

Therefore, I am hereby issuing a plea to all photograph analysis-inclined researchers-- If you haven't already done so, after enlarging the image, please put your face about eight inches from the monitor screen and look really closely for the luggage rack to which I'm referring. (Seriously; no disrespect intended)

It (the luggage rack) is dark in color, runs five or six inches above AND parallel with the top of the station wagon's roof. The dead giveaway for me, however, is the fact that its far right end is CURVED downwards where it meets the back end of the vehicle's roof, and therefore cannot/should not be misinterpreted as some sort of horizontal line on the front of the house behind it. IOW, it doesn't make sense that a (hypothetical) horizontal line on the front of the house would be CURVED near any corner of the house, especially the most-noticeable corner of the house nearest the front door. That, and the fact that the horizontal line in question curves in such a way as to meet the very back of the station wagon's roof tells me that it must be a luggage rack, and therefore that either 1) Detective Craig simply mistook Ruth Paine's (luggage-racked and therefore rare) '55 Chevy station wagon for the traditionally luggage-racked (later model?) Rambler station wagon due to the fact that, as I inferred from your (JWK's) most recent post this thread, that very very few '55 Chevy station wagons even had a luggage rack, or 2) that Detective Craig actually did see LHO get into someone else's (Clay Shaw's '62?) Rambler station wagon (with luggage rack) on Elm Street.

Regardless, I am absolutely fascinated by Detective's Craig's claim that LHO, while being interrogated by Captain Fritz, said in response to Fritz's statement, "This man (Craig) saw you leave in a car." To which LHO replied (in so many words-- I'm working off memory here), "You leave Mrs. Paine's station wagon (her '55 Chevy station wagon") out of this. She wasn't involved in this thing." Then LHO said self-disgustedly and with a sense of resignation (according to Craig), "Everyone will know who I am now."

There are several critical (in my humble opinion) questions to be addressed here: Why in the world was LHO so emotionally intent on trying to divert Fritz's attention away from Ruth Paine in "this thing?" Why did LHO automatically assume that when Fritz mentioned the word "car" that he was referring to Ruth Paine's '55 Chevy station wagon? Did LHO suddenly realize that he had "let the cat out of the bag" as to his true role(s)/identities in "this thing" (double agent; triple agent, quadruple agent, role-playing "patsy"?) when he said (evidently quite emotionally and without thinking), "Leave Mrs. Paine out of this. She didn't have anything to do with this thing."

Thanks

--Thomas

P.S. Thanks for the feedback on the other vehicle in the photo, JW. I was wondering if it might be Michael Paine's Oldsmobile....

Edited by Thomas Graves

[...] [Regarding the alleged] '55 Chevy wagon (it sure looks like it might be, but I don't see the luggage rack) [...]

JWK

Speaking just for myself, I can definitely see a luggage rack on top of the putative '55 Chevy station wagon parked in front of the Paine's house in James' post #37.

I hereby issue a plea to all photograph analysis-inclined researchers-- If you haven't already done so, after enlarging the image, please put your face about eight inches from the monitor screen and look really closely for the luggage rack to which I'm referring. (Seriously; no disrespect intended)

It (the luggage rack) is dark in color, runs five or six inches above and is parallel with the top of the station wagon's roof. The dead giveaway, however, is the fact that it curves downwards to meet the roof on the far right hand side, and therefore, in my humble opinion, should not be interpreted as some sort of ornamental horizontal line on the front/facade of the house behind it. In other words, it doesn't make sense that a horizontal line on the front of the house would be curved like that near any corner of the house, especially the most-noticeable corner of the house nearest the front door. That, and the fact that the horizontal line in question curves in such a way as to meet the very back of the station wagon's roof tells me that it must be a luggage rack, and therefore that either 1) Detective Craig simply mistook Ruth Paine's (luggage-racked and therefore rare) '55 Chevy station wagon for the traditionally luggage-racked (later model?) Rambler station wagon due to the fact that, as I inferred from your (JWK's) most recent post this thread, that very very few '55 Chevy station wagons even had a luggage rack, or 2) that Detective Craig actually did see LHO get into someone else's (Clay Shaw's '62?) Rambler station wagon (with luggage rack) on Elm Street.

Regardless, I am absolutely fascinated by Detective's Craig's claim that LHO, while being interrogated by Captain Fritz, said in response to Fritz's statement, "This man (Craig) saw you leave in a car." To which LHO eventually replied (in so many words-- I'm working off memory here), "You leave Mrs. Paine's station wagon (her '55 Chevy station wagon") out of this. She wasn't involved in this thing." Then LHO said self-disgustedly and with a sense of resignation (according to Craig), "Everyone will know who I am now."

There are several critical (in my humble opinion) questions to be addressed here: Why in the world was LHO so emotionally intent on trying to divert Fritz's attention away from Ruth Paine in "this thing?" Why did LHO automatically assume that when Fritz mentioned the word "car" that he was referring to Ruth Paine's '55 Chevy station wagon? Did LHO suddenly think or realize (two different things altogether) that he had somehow "let the cat out of the bag" as to his true role(s)/identities in "this thing" (double agent; triple agent, quadruple agent, role-playing "patsy"?) when he said (evidently quite emotionally and without thinking), "Leave Mrs. Paine out of this. She didn't have anything to do with this thing." Fascinating stuff which I think still needs to be addressed....

Thanks

--Thomas

P.S. Thanks for the feedback on the other vehicle in the photo, JW. I was wondering if it might be Michael Paine's Oldsmobile....

Improved, expanded and bumped....

Edited by Thomas Graves

JWK

I hereby issue a plea to all photograph analysis-inclined researchers-- If you haven't already done so, after enlarging the image, please put your face about eight inches from the monitor screen and look really closely for the luggage rack to which I'm referring. (Seriously; no disrespect intended)

It (the luggage rack) is dark in color, runs five or six inches above and is parallel with the top of the station wagon's roof. The dead giveaway, however, is the fact that it curves downwards to meet the roof on the far right hand side, and therefore, in my humble opinion, should not be interpreted as some sort of ornamental horizontal line on the front/facade of the house behind it. In other words, it doesn't make sense that a horizontal line on the front of the house would be curved like that near any corner of the house, especially the most-noticeable corner of the house nearest the front door. That, and the fact that the horizontal line in question curves in such a way as to meet the very back of the station wagon's roof tells me that it must be a luggage rack, and therefore that either 1) Detective Craig simply mistook Ruth Paine's (luggage-racked and therefore rare) '55 Chevy station wagon for the traditionally luggage-racked (later model?) Rambler station wagon due to the fact that, as I inferred from your (JWK's) most recent post this thread, that very very few '55 Chevy station wagons even had a luggage rack, or 2) that Detective Craig actually did see LHO get into someone else's (Clay Shaw's '62?) Rambler station wagon (with luggage rack) on Elm Street.

Regardless, I am absolutely fascinated by Detective's Craig's claim that LHO, while being interrogated by Captain Fritz, said in response to Fritz's statement, "This man (Craig) saw you leave in a car." To which LHO eventually replied (in so many words-- I'm working off memory here), "You leave Mrs. Paine's station wagon (her '55 Chevy station wagon") out of this. She wasn't involved in this thing." Then LHO said self-disgustedly and with a sense of resignation (according to Craig), "Everyone will know who I am now."

There are several critical (in my humble opinion) questions to be addressed here: Why in the world was LHO so emotionally intent on trying to divert Fritz's attention away from Ruth Paine in "this thing?" Why did LHO automatically assume that when Fritz mentioned the word "car" that he was referring to Ruth Paine's '55 Chevy station wagon? Did LHO suddenly think or realize (two different things altogether) that he had somehow "let the cat out of the bag" as to his true role(s)/identities in "this thing" (double agent; triple agent, quadruple agent, role-playing "patsy"?) when he said (evidently quite emotionally and without thinking), "Leave Mrs. Paine out of this. She didn't have anything to do with this thing." Fascinating stuff which I think still needs to be addressed....

Thanks

--Thomas

James? JWK? Lee? John D? Anyone (except the "PB Boy")?

JWK

Regardless, I am absolutely fascinated by Detective's Craig's claim that LHO, while being interrogated by Captain Fritz, said in response to Fritz's statement, "This man (Craig) saw you leave in a car" (in so many words-- I'm working off memory here), "You leave Mrs. Paine's station wagon (her '55 Chevy station wagon") out of this. She wasn't involved in this thing." Then LHO said self-disgustedly and with a sense of resignation (according to Craig), "Everyone will know who I am now."

There are several critical (in my humble opinion) questions to be addressed here: Why in the world was LHO so emotionally intent on trying to divert Fritz's attention away from Ruth Paine in "this thing?" Why did LHO automatically assume that when Fritz mentioned the word "car" that he was referring to Ruth Paine's '55 Chevy station wagon? Did LHO suddenly think that he had somehow "let the cat out of the bag" as to his true role(s)/identities in "this thing" (double agent; triple agent, quadruple agent, role-playing "patsy"?) when he said (evidently without thinking), "Leave Mrs. Paine's station wagon out of this. She didn't have anything to do with this thing." And then, with a deep sense of resignation, "Everyone will know who I am now." Fascinating stuff indeed......

Thanks

--Thomas

James? Bernice? JWK? Lee? Robin? John D? Larry? Mr. Simkin? ...........

Edited by Thomas Graves

blue 55 chevy rear comparison.

(image)

Edited by John Dolva

This image below is of Ruth Paine's house. That sure looks like the rear end of a 1955 Chevy wagon on the far left of frame to me.

James

From a posting in the Lancer Forum by Tony Frank 6/21/07:

Report of Detective Wardlaw dated 12/23/63

DPD ARchives Box 18, Folder 5, Item 31.

Ruth Paine drove up to James Martin's house.

She was driving a 1955 two-tone green Chevy Station wagon registered to her at 2515 W. 5th St. Irving

license plate number NK-4041

Steve Thomas