The Education Forum

John Connally and the Assassination of JFK

Nellie Connally: The first sound, the first shot, I heard, and turned and looked right into the President's face. He was clutching his throat, and just slumped down. He Just had a - a look of nothingness on his face. He-he didn't say anything. But that was the first shot.

This to me is further evidence that the throat wound was caused by a paralyzing fletchette fired by UM. The “look of nothingness on his face” recalls Jackie’s description of JFK as having “a quizzical look,” as if he just had “a slight headache,” after being shot. This and his lack of movement after his arms came down clearly suggest a state of paralysis.

Also, if the throat wound was caused by a bullet, it almost certainly came from the front, whereas Nellie seems to be reacting to a shot heard from behind, as she turned after hearing the first shot and looked back, seeing JFK clutch his throat. That first shot she heard, causing her to look back, could be the one that hit JFK in the back, right after the fletchette was fired into his throat.

Whether the bullet came from in front or from behind, it would almost certainly have come in contact with Kennedy's spine and/or nerves. There are plenty of explanations for his near-paralysis beyond a "fletchette". In my research, I read much about the effects of cerebellar damage and skull base fracture. The symptoms included leaning to the opposite side of the injury, the inability to talk, and the inability to grasp things with one's hands. The symptoms totally explain Kennedy's behavior between frames 224 and 313. This was one of the reasons I concluded the bullet striking Kennedy at 224 may have entered near his hairline and been deflected down his neck.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don,

Interesting post. Connally always seemed OK to me. That photo of him and LBJ looking on as JFK gave his final speech in Fort Worth showed a man unaware of what was soon to transpire, IMO. A picture tells a thousand words and all that.

As for LBJ, as time passes and more information seeps into the public domain, things just look worse and worse. Although this story would be considered heresay and not evidence, most snippets of gossip, memoirs etc, all seem to reinforce the suspicion that LBJ the prime player in setting up his boss. Add to this all the revelations about his background and rise in politics and you have a rocksolid case for conspiracy to murder. Ladybird, Jack Valenti and others who want the issue to remain undisturbed will have to accept that the truth will emerge and, importantly, the public will discover the truth.

Don - thanks for sharing that. In may cases, I don't believe some folks had it within their means to share what they knew - in Connally's case, for example, even after death the family apparently refused to allow the final fragments to be removed from his body.

Mark - Have you ever watched Four Days in November? Pay close attention to the body language of Ladybird and Johnson.

Another unrelated bit that would go well with what you've posted is the case of Emmett Louis Till. There is footage of the reaction of Roy Bryant and J.W Milam when it was announced that they were acquitted. 'Telling,' I guess is the word. Apparently they later confessed to the crime in a magazine interview.

Even recently, I watched Joran van der Sloot giving an interview. Well....I'm no expert. I wonder what an expert would have made of his eyes batting maddenly every time he responded to a difficult question.

I've posted this one before - I think it's a great shot.

- lee

Hey Lee,

Great photo. I agree with Ron that it looks like LBJ is fantasizing about a six shooter. It's a bit comical, really. Unfortunately I haven't seen 'Four days in November' yet but I'll watch out for it.

Hey Lee,

Great photo. I agree with Ron that it looks like LBJ is fantasizing about a six shooter. It's a bit comical, really. Unfortunately I haven't seen 'Four days in November' yet but I'll watch out for it.

Mark et al,

4 Days in November, a David Wolper bit done in 1964, has not yet been released on DVD. You can still find it in video stores, libraries, Amazon, etc. on VHS. I found it to be unique in some of the footage it presented, and interesting in some of the reinactments.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/630196930...glance&n=404272

Sample review at Amazon.

Four Days In November" is my all-time favorite program dealing with the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. You really get a sense of "re-living" the events of November 22-25, 1963, when America's all-too-young, 46-year-old leader was gunned down on the sunny streets of Dallas, Texas.

This 1964 black-&-white documentary, skillfully narrated by actor Richard Basehart, was filmed only months after the events, making the "re-creations" that were filmed for this movie all the more effective, since the people involved, the locations, the landmarks, and even the automobiles had not changed to a great degree (if at all) since the tragedy occurred. I truly had the sense of being there BEFORE it happened because of the very good re-created scenes.

This wonderfully-edited chronological documentary guides the viewer through all four of those dark November days that shocked the nation in late 1963. An integral part of this program lies in its outstanding musical score, by Elmer Bernstein. Mr. Bernstein's stirring score fits just perfectly here, adding emotional impact to each portion of the film.

In addition to many re-created scenes, there is a hefty amount of stock news footage presented throughout this 123-minute film -- some of which you probably have seen before, and some you probably haven't. The Joan Crawford/Richard Nixon clip was one I'd never seen in the past, as well as the footage of Lee Harvey Oswald's funeral, which nearly no one attended.

One particular "re-created" scene in the film that has an especially "eerie" feeling to it is the scene where we see Wesley Frazier driving his 1953 Chevrolet sedan toward the "drab bulk" of the Texas School Book Depository Building, which looms ahead in the foreground. Frazier was the 19-year-old Depository co-worker of Lee Harvey Oswald's who gave Oswald a ride to work on the morning of the President's assassination.

The "Zapruder Film" is not represented in this documentary. It was to be yet another 11 years before the public at large was to see Mr. Zapruder's infamous film. "Four Days" does include a sequence from the "Nix Film", however.

Wolper Productions sidestepped all the conspiracy theories [thank goodness] and stuck by the Warren Commission Report for this documentary.

Many of the facts surrounding JFK's assassination have been disputed and debated by researchers for decades. And this tragic crime will likely remain a topic that shall cause heated discussion for many more years to come.

But what the film "Four Days In November" does accomplish is to allow the viewer to re-live those sorrowful November days, in the order in which the events transpired, based on the evidence available. This is definitely one program that deserves to be in anyone's JFK collection.

Pat Speer Posted Apr 1 2006, 09:26 PM

QUOTE(Ron Ecker @ Apr 1 2006, 09:29 PM)

Nellie Connally: The first sound, the first shot, I heard, and turned and looked right into the President's face. He was clutching his throat, and just slumped down. He Just had a - a look of nothingness on his face. He-he didn't say anything. But that was the first shot.

This to me is further evidence that the throat wound was caused by a paralyzing fletchette fired by UM. The “look of nothingness on his face” recalls Jackie’s description of JFK as having “a quizzical look,” as if he just had “a slight headache,” after being shot. This and his lack of movement after his arms came down clearly suggest a state of paralysis.

Also, if the throat wound was caused by a bullet, it almost certainly came from the front, whereas Nellie seems to be reacting to a shot heard from behind, as she turned after hearing the first shot and looked back, seeing JFK clutch his throat. That first shot she heard, causing her to look back, could be the one that hit JFK in the back, right after the fletchette was fired into his throat.

Whether the bullet came from in front or from behind, it would almost certainly have come in contact with Kennedy's spine and/or nerves. There are plenty of explanations for his near-paralysis beyond a "fletchette". In my research, I read much about the effects of cerebellar damage and skull base fracture. The symptoms included leaning to the opposite side of the injury, the inability to talk, and the inability to grasp things with one's hands. The symptoms totally explain Kennedy's behavior between frames 224 and 313. This was one of the reasons I concluded the bullet striking Kennedy at 224 may have entered near his hairline and been deflected down his neck.

Pat, have you seen evidence of the hairline entry you mentioned, in any of the x-rays?

Edited by Antti Hynonen

Guest John Gillespie

"The symptoms included leaning to the opposite side of the injury, the inability to talk, and the inability to grasp things with one's hands. The symptoms totally explain Kennedy's behavior between frames 224 and 313."

Pat,

Right on and well put. I had wondered for many years about the odd reaction to the first hit and why Kennedy never got to the point of "clutching his throat" as Mrs. Connally erroneously recalled. Victims generally grab, instinctively, for the injured part of the anatomy. Kennedy's fists and arms were locked.

That ENTRANCE wound was a perfectly rounded little piece of precision and immobilized him for the shot to his back, which quickly followed.

Notice how most researchers are reluctant to acknowledge the Umbrella Man/Flechette possibility? In fact, the more renown the researcher, the less likely they are even to mention it.

Regards,

JG

Edited by John Gillespie

Guest John Gillespie

"The former governor of Texas, the man who took one of the bullets from the assassination that killed President John F. Kenney, was headed to Santa Fe to buy a house."

Memo To Don R.:

Very touching...but, next time you see him, tell him he took TWO of the bullets.

Edited by John Gillespie

"The former governor of Texas, the man who took one of the bullets from the assassination that killed President John F. Kenney, was headed to Santa Fe to buy a house."

Memo To Don R.:

Very touching...but, next time you see him, tell him he took TWO of the bullets.

And as per the initial reports - one in the chest.

Toss this into the mix.

- lee

post-675-1144253412_thumb.jpg

Pat, have you seen evidence of the hairline entry you mentioned, in any of the x-rays?

Yes, in the Re-inspection of the X-rays section of my presentation, I show how the hairline entry was too low to be picked up on the A-P view, but is barely observable on the lateral view. (There is undoubtedly a dark spot directly lateral to the EOP on the post-mortem x-ray that was not visible on the pre-mortem x-ray.) Unfortunately, the preferred view for occipital injuries, the Townes View, was not even attempted. Radiologist John Ebersole was told the x-rays were for the purposes of finding lost bullets ONLY. Thus, there were only three skull x-rays attempted, all taken on a sub-standard portable x-ray machine.

Edited by Pat Speer

Pat Speer Posted Today, 07:57 AM

QUOTE(Antti Hynonen @ Apr 3 2006, 11:11 AM)

Yes, in the Re-inspection of the X-rays section of my presentation, I show how the hairline entry was too low to be picked up on the A-P view, but is barely observable on the lateral view. (There is undoubtedly a dark spot directly lateral to the EOP on the post-mortem x-ray that was not visible on the pre-mortem x-ray.) Unfortunately, the preferred view for occipital injuries, the Townes View, was not even attempted. Radiologist John Ebersole was told the x-rays were for the purposes of finding lost bullets ONLY. Thus, there were only three skull x-rays attempted, all taken on a sub-standard portable x-ray machine.

Ok, thanks. In laymens terms would the location of the point-of-entry be in the bottom, right hand side in the back of the head at the hairline?

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time following the medical or x-ray jargon...

On another note, have you discovered another possible/probable point-of-entry in any of the x-rays? I'm hinting at an entry on the other side of the head.

I had hoped that the "Beyond the Magic Bullet" -film team would have attempted to replicate the head injury instead of the Magic bullet, as in my mind the head injury is more of a debate than the magic bullet, which would have been impossible considering the circumstances.

One of things we now know is that to keep people from talking after the assassination of JFK, threats were made against the children of those who had important information about the case. Did this also happen to John Connally? Here is an interesting interview with Nellie Connally that appeared in the Dallas Morning News on 22nd November, 2003:

"It kept going through my mind like a phonograph record playing over and over and over. But for John, it was even worse. His first night home, he cried out in his sleep. I would just pat him on the shoulder, and he'd go back to sleep. Ten days after, I asked him, 'What is it you dream, dear?' And he said, 'Nellie, somebody's always after me. With a gun.' So I just let him cry out. He did that for a month or six weeks and they were always after him."

Her own waking nightmare "has us all in the car. Everyone's having a wonderful time. Everyone's being so good, and then all of a sudden the horror starts. There is never anything good after that happening in that car. The car is filled with yellow roses, red roses and blood. And pieces of the president's brain."

Connally regrets that President Kennedy's legacy - and, by extension, the nation's - could have been so much brighter in the years ahead. "We were all in our 40s," she says of the passengers in the top car of VIP's. "We all had so much to give."

But Dealey Plaza would come to dictate an entirely different reality.

"For the first time in my life, I feared for my family," she said. "And I never had before. Mark, our youngest, was 11 at the time. There was this wall at the governor's mansion (in Austin) that he loved to walk around. Well, he could no longer walk around that wall. We were afraid somebody would snatch him off of it. Sharon, 14 at the time, could no longer go anywhere without someone going with her. It became, in some ways, a difficult life for us, and for me. And even to this day, I still take a glance behind me, just to make sure."

So not to divert the 'Suite 8F' thread, I thought this topic might be worth exploring.

In 1959, the 18 year old son of I.B. Hale was cleared by a Coroner's Jury in the shotgun death of his 16 year old pregnant wife, Kathleen, who was the daughter of John Connolly. The jury found that Kathleen Hale was killed by the accidental discharge of a 20 gauge shotgun.

A fingerprint expert said no prints recognizable as Robert's were found on the gun. However, a palm print which could have been Kathleen's was found. Could have been?

Robert claimed she was in good spirits the night before her death but then suddenly she left their apartment and didn't return until late the following morning. He said that he went out to search for her on several occasions and when he returned from his last trip, she was seated on the couch holding a shotgun. Robert tried to persuade her to put it down but she brought the weapon up to her head. He claimed that, "at the last desperate moment, I lunged at the gun and hit it. It hit the wall and she was still." He claimed not to know if the gun went off before or after he had hit it.

Detective Bob Maige said, "It looked like it was very possible that it was an accident." He continued by saying that, "a little squabble like kids have preceded the shooting."

The charge that killed her entered behind Kathleen's right ear. What the...?

When police arrived on the scene, neighbors were restraining Robert from jumping out the second story window.

I'm am at a quandary as to this making complete sense.

I suspect that Connally believed the conspirators were trying to kill him and Kennedy. Connally had been since 1948 LBJ closest political ally and an important member of the Suite 8F Group. Connally knew where all the bodies were buried. Don’t forget it was LBJ who pressurized JFK to give Connally the post of Secretary of the Navy. Along with the post of Secretary of the Treasury (Douglas Dillon), these were the most important appointments for the Suite 8F Group. It is no coincidence that LBJ’s buddy, Phil Graham pressurized JFK to give Dillon the job. It was also Phil Graham who persuaded JFK to make LBJ his running mate. When Connally resigned in 1962, the job goes to Fred Korth, another member of the Suite 8F Group. Korth was needed to get the X-22 and TFX contracts and to assure all those large oil contracts from the Navy went to Suite 8F members.

It is no coincidence that Nixon appointed Connally to his administration. He wanted him on board for the same reason he appointed William Sullivan to his staff. Both men knew what happened in Dallas. (Sullivan had run the FBI investigation into the JFK and MLK assassinations.) Nixon wanted to use this information to blackmail the FBI and CIA into protecting him from his own illegal activities.

[from John Simkin]

HOUSTON CHRONICLE

09/23/1993

LBJ initially resisted JFK assassination panel

By CLAY ROBISON, LYNWOOD ABRAM, ROSS RAMSEY, STEVEN R. REED, MIKETOLSON, BOB TUTT, Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau Staff

AUSTIN -- In the immediate aftermath of the Kennedy assassination, President Lyndon B. Johnson initially opposed the appointment of an independent commission to investigate the tragedy because he didn't want to send a "bunch of carpet-baggers" to Texas to interfere with the FBI and state authorities.

"We can't be checking up on every shooting scrape in the country," Johnson told then-FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover in a telephone conversation on Nov. 25, 1963.

A transcript of the conversation didn't make clear what Johnson was calling a "shooting scrape."

But the comments came three days after Kennedy was fatally shot in a Dallas motorcade, one day after accused assassin Lee Harvey Oswald was gunned down while in police custody and while interest in the appointment of an independent investigatory panel was growing.

Johnson soon agreed to name a special commission in order to head off congressional inquiries and to ease any threat of war if the Soviet Union was accused of being involved in his predecessor's murder.

And, according to documents made public Wednesday, then-Chief Justice Earl Warren resisted appointment to the panel but broke down and cried and agreed to chair it only after being summoned to Johnson's office.

The transcripts of 275 phone calls involving Johnson in the several weeks after the assassination were released Wednesday by the Lyndon Johnson Library in Austin and the National Archives in Washington, D.C.

They portrayed a leader who expressed humility -- "I'm totally inadequate," he told two well-wishers the day after he was thrust into the presidency -- but was determined to have his way.

And they demonstrated compassion.

In the first recorded call, made at 4:30 p.m., Texas time, on Nov. 22, while the newly sworn-in president was en route to Washington from Dallas, Johnson told Nellie Connally to give her husband, then-Gov. John B. Connally, a "hug and a kiss for me."

Connally was seriously wounded in the shooting.

The next day, Johnson called to offer his condolences -- "you're a brave and a great lady" -- to the widow of J.D. Tippit, the Dallas police officer killed during the manhunt for Oswald.

And he told Sen. Edward Kennedy, brother of the slain president, "God Almighty and his wisdom work in mysterious ways."

Others Johnson spoke to over the phone during the first few days of his presidency included:

Civil rights leader Martin Luther King. "I want to tell you how grateful I am and how worthy I'm going to try to be of all your hopes," Johnson said.

George Meany, president of the AFL-CIO; Walter Reuther, president of the United Auto Workers; and AT&T Board Chairman Fred Kappel. The new president asked for their support, and they pledged it.

U.S. Sen. George Smathers, D-Fla., who, on the day after the assassination, urged Johnson to consider Sen. Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota as a running mate in 1964.

"We've got to keep this Kennedy aura around us through this election," Johnson told Smathers.

The senator replied, "I think that the new president has just got to have a liberal running with him as VP candidate . . . and I think, my God, that most of the southerners would be for Hubert."

Smathers used only the first name, but Humphrey was LBJ's running mate in the 1964 Democratic landslide over Republican Barry Goldwater.

According to the transcript of a Nov. 24 conversation between Johnson aide Bill Moyers and Eugene Rostow, then-dean of the Yale Law School, who talked after Oswald had been shot by Jack Ruby, Rostow suggested that Johnson appoint a presidential commission to investigate the assassination.

"American opinion is just now so shaken by the behavior of the Dallas police that they're not believing anything," Rostow said.

On Nov. 25, Johnson told FBI Director Hoover that he opposed the idea and complained that he was feeling pressure from the Washington Post to appoint a commission. Johnson said he instead wanted an investigation by the FBI and a court of inquiry by then-Texas Attorney General Waggoner Carr.

Ten minutes later, discussing the same issue with his friend, syndicated newspaper columnist Joe Alsop, Johnson insisted, "We don't send in a bunch of carpetbaggers. That's the worst thing we could do right now."

A few days later, however, Johnson had changed his mind, according to transcripts of conversations with members of Congress.

The president urged then-House Speaker John McCormack to block any attempt at an investigation by the House.

On Nov. 29, LBJ told Democratic Rep. Carl Albert of Oklahoma, "We don't want anything going in the House and Senate, bunch of television cameras or a lot of loose testimony. . . saying that Khrushchev has done this or Castro has done this."

Also on Nov. 29, Johnson appointed the seven-member Warren Commission, which eventually concluded in 1964 that Oswald acted alone in shooting Kennedy and Ruby acted alone in murdering Oswald.

Johnson told Sen. Richard Russell of Georgia that Warren initially refused to serve on the commission but "started crying and said, "Well, I won't turn you down,"' after Johnson summoned him to his office.

Russell also had to be coerced by Johnson into serving.

"I don't like that man (Warren). I don't have any confidence in him at all," Russell told the president in another Nov. 29 conversation.

But Johnson was persistent.

"We've got to take this out of the arena where they're testifying that (Nikita) Khrushchev and (Fidel) Castro did this and did that and check us into a war that can kill 40 million Americans in an hour," Johnson told Russell.

"Don't tell me what you can do and what you can't. I can't arrest you, and I'm not going to put the FBI on you. But you're goddamned sure going to serve, I'll tell you that."

Besides, the president said, he already had publicly announced the senator would be on the panel.

Johnson also told Russell that Khrushchev, then the Soviet premier, "didn't have a damned thing to do with it (the assassination)."

In a Nov. 30 conversation with Don Cook, an LBJ confidant and president of the American Electric Power Co., Johnson discussed U.S. involvement in Vietnam, which eventually was to be his political undoing.

Johnson contended Henry Cabot Lodge, then the U.S. ambassador to South Vietnam, didn't know what he was doing.

"We need an able, tough guy to go there as chief of mission . . . We've got to either get in or get out," he said.

The transcripts initially were not to be made public until 50 years after Johnson's death in 1973. They were released early in response to a 1992 federal law requiring the release of material relating to the Kennedy assassination.

All the calls were recorded by a secretary at Johnson's request. Another 12 transcripts were withheld, three for security declassification, six because they were "intensely personal" conversations with Jacqueline Kennedy and three because they contained information "unduly damaging to living persons," library officials said.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

• 4 months later...

Doug Thompson, Is Deception the Best Way to Serve Your Country? (30th March, 2006)

http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_do...ion_the_bes.htm

The handwritten note lay in the bottom drawer of my old rolltop desk, one I bought for $50 in a junk store in Richmond, VA, 39 years ago.

"Dear Doug & Amy," it read. "Thanks for dinner and for listening." The signature was a bold "John" and the letterhead on the note simply said "John B. Connally" and was dated July 14, 1982.

I met John Connally on a TWA flight from Kansas City to Albuquerque earlier that year. The former governor of Texas, the man who took one of the bullets from the assassination that killed President John F. Kenney, was headed to Santa Fe to buy a house.

The meeting wasn't an accident. The flight originated in Washington and I sat in the front row of the coach cabin. During a stop in Kansas City, I saw Connally get on the plane and settle into a first class seat so I walked off the plane and upgraded to a first class seat right ahead of the governor. I not only wanted to meet the man who was with Kennedy on that day in Dallas in 1963 but, as the communications director for the re-election campaign of Congressman Manuel Lujan of New Mexico, I thought he might be willing to help out on what was a tough campaign.

When the plane was in the air, I introduced myself and said I was working on Lujan's campaign. Connally's face lit up and he invited me to move to the empty seat next to him.

"How is Manuel? Is there anything I can do to help?"

By the time we landed in Albuquerque, Connally had agreed to do a fundraiser for Lujan. A month later, he flew back into New Mexico where Amy and I picked him up for the fundraiser. Afterwards, we took him to dinner.

Connolly was both gracious and charming and told us many stories about Texas politics. As the evening wore on and the multiple bourbon and branch waters took their effect, he started talking about November 22, 1963, in Dallas.

"You know I was one of the ones who advised Kennedy to stay away from Texas," Connally said. "Lyndon (Johnson) was being a real asshole about the whole thing and insisted."

Connally's mood darkened as he talked about Dallas. When the bullet hit him, he said he felt like he had been kicked in the ribs and couldn't breathe. He spoke kindly of Jackie Kennedy and said he admired both her bravery and composure.

I had to ask. Did he think Lee Harvey Oswald fired the gun that killed Kennedy?

"Absolutely not," Connally said. "I do not, for one second, believe the conclusions of the Warren Commission."

So why not speak out?

"Because I love this country and we needed closure at the time. I will never speak out publicly about what I believe."

We took him back to catch a late flight to Texas. He shook my hand, kissed Amy on the cheek and walked up the ramp to the plane.

We saw Connally and his wife a couple of more times when they came to New Mexico but he sold his house a few years later as part of a bankruptcy settlement. He died in 1993 and, I believe, never spoke publicly about how he doubted the findings of the Warren Commission.

Connnally's note serves as yet another reminder that in our Democratic Republic, or what's left of it, few things are seldom as they seem. Like him, I never accepted the findings of the Warren Commission. Too many illogical conclusions.

John Kennedy's death, and the doubts that surround it to this day, marked the beginning of the end of America's idealism. The cynicism grew with the lies of Vietnam and the senseless deaths of too many thousands of young Americans in a war that never should have been fought. Doubts about the integrity of those we elect as our leaders festers today as this country finds itself embroiled in another senseless war based on too many lies.

John Connally felt he served his country best by concealing his doubts about the Warren Commission's whitewash but his silence may have contributed to the growing perception that our elected leaders can rewrite history to fit their political agendas.

Had Connally spoken out, as a high-ranking political figure with doubts about the "official" version of what happened, it might have sent a signal that Americans deserve the truth from their government, even when that truth hurts.

• 5 years later...
Guest Tom Scully

The Connally and Fisher at Endeavor are alive, according to Forbes.com and other sources. Both are active in their careers. Connally has III after his name.