The Education Forum

Did Ruby talk about Oswald at Ray McKeown's before the assassination?

Chris Newton

It was my assumption, perhaps incorrect, that Angleton put Oswald on the list… but I’d still bet on it despite your information.

I think it matters little who put the note in there because Angleton noted briefly it was done for "Engler" and that's the important part. "Engler" was Jack Esterline who, by 1960, was Chief, Western Hemisphere Div. (which included Cuba) and at JMWAVE.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree wholeheartedly about researching just the important stuff in this thread. To me, the critical path will be the one that examines the possible existence of a direct communication channel from CIA officers such as Phillips and Angleton to Jack Ruby, and the possibility that Ruby forwarded these instructions directly to LHO. McKeown's testimony here is critical.

By the way, during one of his visits to NARA, John Armstrong had an audio cassette made of McKeown's secret HSCA testimony. The tape is pretty long, but it's also quite memorable because McKeown had a fascinating dialect and style of speaking. He sure sounds believable to me. The audio tape could be converted to a digital format and put up on YouTube. Do you think there would be value to that?

John has audio recordings directly from the National Archives of a number of other critical witnesses.

Do you think there would be value to that?

It would be great if we could synch up the transcript with the audio.

There are synch services that can do it pretty cheap these days with software voice recognition.

See this article from Seth Kantor on the connection we're making here:

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/K%20Disk/Kantor%20Seth/Item%2005.pdf

Chris,

By "synch," are you referring to a process to compare the written transcript with the audio recording and to capture the differences? That would be FASCINATING, tho I suspect, considering how shocking McKeown's written testimony is, the HSCA probably left this one un-altered.

I'm not familiar with this particular synch technology. Can you tell me a little more?

Also, it's hard to keep up with all the URLs you're presenting. If there is a drop dead revelation in one of them, would you mind giving us a preview or putting it all in boldface or something? Otherwise, megathanks for the Kantor article, and I'll try to catch up!

The HTLINGUAL information was not an admission of Angleton's. That information was a suggestion of Mr. Goldsmith to Angleton, during testimony, as a possible explanation and he grasped it. It was not even suggested that Angleton initiated the intercept request but a CIA Officer named R [xxxxx] E [xxxxxx] (whom I discovered is named elsewhere because they missed a redaction). "Recent defector to USSR. Former Marine." was also not on the index card in question just the CI-Project/RE and his name and date. Missing from the card you posted was "SECRET EYES ONLY".

November 10 - Oswald is placed on a watch list

On November 10, 1959 the FBI posted a "Wanted Notice Card" for Lee Harvey

Oswald.46 The CIA put Oswald on the watch list for the "HTLINGUAL" project. This

means that Oswald's mail coming into and leaving the US would be read by CIA per­-

sonnel under the direction of Newton "Scotty" Miller, of James Angleton's SIG (Spe­-

cial Investigations Group) in the Counterintelligence Section (CI).

Significantly the CIA did not open a file on Oswald, even after he told US embassy

personnel in Moscow that he might have something of special interest to tell the Sov-­

ets. When the CIA finally opened a "201" file on Oswald, a year later, it was held not

by the Soviet Russia division, but by James Angleton's Special Investigations Group

(SIG). For these and other reasons the author believes that Angleton and his SIC created and su­-

pervised the concept of Harvey and Lee.

NOTE: The HSCA (House Select Committee on Assassinations) asked Angleton’s assis­

tant, Ray Rocca, what caused CI/SIG to open a file on Oswald.

Rocca: "It would be with respect to where and what happened to DDP (Deputy Direc­

tor of Plans) materials with respect to a defection in any of these places."

HSCA: "Again, though, Oswald had nothing to do with the DDP at this time, at least

apparently. "

Rocca: "I'm not saying that. You said that. " 47

Ray Rocca, Angleton s deputy, refused to say that Oswald had nothing to do with the CIAs

Deputy Director of Plans (Richard Bissell).

The fact that Oswald's mail was being read by the Special Investigations Group

(SIG), yet a "201" file was not opened for over a year following his "defection," suggests

that documentation relating to Oswald and his activities was so sensitive that it was pro­-

hibited from being distributed through normal channels. It appears as though Angleton,

and his trusted associates in SIG, may have held the bulk of their knowledge about

Oswald in memory and allowed only non-sensitive documents to be placed in his "201"

file.

If Angleton's group supervised the "false defector" plan, they could easily have

provided Harvey Oswald with the information that allowed him to obtain a visa from the

Soviet Embassy in one day. This information was virtually unknown outside of the intelligence

community.

Harvey Oswald in Moscow

--from Harvey and Lee, Copyright © 2003, by John Armstrong, p. 276

Edited by Jim Hargrove

By "synch," are you referring to a process to compare the written transcript with the audio recording and to capture the differences? That would be FASCINATING, tho I suspect, considering how shocking McKeown's written testimony is, the HSCA probably left this one un-altered.

For years, in the legal world, we have been adding subtitles to audio and video testimony from the transcripts prepared by court reporters. In legal jargon this is called "synching or synchronizing". The courts only know transcripts by Page & Line. So, if a Judge asked me to play a deponent's video testimony, "Page 10 line 2 through page 24 line 25" this would create a problem if all I had to work with is a raw video tape. Hence the need to "synch".

The audio produced for the recently combined AF1 tapes was "synched" to the transcript. A video tape was created by adding the audio of the tapes to a background (clouds). It was then synched to the combined transcript and that's it. You have a video with the subtitles of the audio you are hearing.

Software performs this editing in real-time in courtrooms everyday, products such as "Sanction" and "Trial Director" but for a one time job it's easy to find a legal service to do 1 tape.

edit - added youtube link.

Edited by Chris Newton

NOTE: The HSCA (House Select Committee on Assassinations) asked Angleton’s assis­

tant, Ray Rocca, what caused CI/SIG to open a file on Oswald.

Rocca: "It would be with respect to where and what happened to DDP (Deputy Direc­

tor of Plans) materials with respect to a defection in any of these places."

HSCA: "Again, though, Oswald had nothing to do with the DDP at this time, at least

apparently. "

Rocca: "I'm not saying that. You said that. " 47

Ray Rocca, Angleton s deputy, refused to say that Oswald had nothing to do with the CIAs

Deputy Director of Plans (Richard Bissell).

Another interesting thing about that exchange is that Angleton was completely rattled by some other unnamed CIA deponent who spoke before him and JJA claimed that testimony is why he had to appear with his counsel. He railed vocally several times about the current CIA higher ups and ranted about how unfair this previous testimony had been. I don't know all the subtleties yet so I can't comment on which part set him off.

Also, it's hard to keep up with all the URLs you're presenting. If there is a drop dead revelation in one of them, would you mind giving us a preview or putting it all in boldface or something? Otherwise, megathanks for the Kantor article, and I'll try to catch up!

That's why you shouldn't skip any links :)

Seriously though, I'm putting this here as I discover it. So I don't have a big "reveal", yet.

Edited by Chris Newton

Tosh Plumlee posting on another forum in 2009 RE: Joe Merola speculation:

What does all this mean? Well it means that The United States Government through the CIA was supporting Fidel Castro's Revolution from the very beginning. We were sending guns and band aids, illegally, to the Castro's rebels, while on the other hand sending Tanks and aircraft to the dictator Batista in compliance with the Organization of American States Treaty (OAS). We were playing both ends on the middle and we were using the Mafia to do it.

Just a quick note while it's on my mind:

Beverly Oliver said that Ruby introduced Lee Harvey Oswald to her, and told her he was "CIA."

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=16062&page=6#entry333639

About 20 minutes in, I believe.

(Everybody probably already knows this.)

Sandy,

Actually, Jack introduced the guy Ruby killed on 11/24/63 to Oliver as "My friend Lee with the CIA." At least that's what I've heard her say.

-- Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

So what do we have so far about Robert Ray McKeown? …and what about his seemingly off-the-cuff remark regarding Ruby shooting his mouth off about Oswald?

I’m going to put together a limited timeline just concerning this subject right here in case it reveals or helps explain anything. I’m going to update and add to it as I find stuff.

OCT 24 1958 RR McKeown sentenced for neutrality act violation

FEB 1959 FC comes to power in Cuba

APR 27 FC visits Houston, Tx.

SEP 1959 JLR goes to Cuba stays with McWillie

JAN 03 1961 U.S. Severs Diplomatic ties with Cuba

??? 1961 JLR contacts RR McKeown about an “Introduction” to FC

AUG 29 1961 Joe Merola starts serving 5 yr sentence for smuggling guns Castro

JUN 1962 LHO arrives in Ft. Worth

JAN 11 1963 JFK commutes Joe Merola sentence

APR 01 1963 Candy Barr released Goree Prison

APR 11 Bob Price reports LHO & JLR at Escapades Lounge Houston on way to Alvin, Tx flight to Cuba.

APR 24 LHO arrives New Orleans

APR 24 JLR calls Candy Barr [Jaunita Slusher] (5 min.)

MAY 07 JLR Calls Candy Barr (2 min.)

May 08 JLR rents car at Avis, Houston, TX

MAY 08 JLR drives to Edna Tx., visits Candy Barr

May 09 JLR returns Avis car rental 5:37 AM in Houston, TX

May 09 JLR registers at Sheraton Lincoln Hotel, Houston, TX

MAY 12 JLR calls Candy Barr (2 min.)

May 19 JLR calls Candy Barr (1 min.)

MAY 31 JLR calls Candy Barr 2x (3 min.) & (2 min.)

JUN 10 JLR calls Candy Barr (16 min.)

AUG 03 JLR drives to Edna Tx. visits Candy Barr

SEP 23 Marina & Ruth leave for Dallas

SEP 26 LHO Leaves for Mexico (in theory)

SEP ?? Antonio Veciana sees LHO meeting DAP in Dallas

SEP 30 DAP leaves MX on TDY

OCT 03 LHO arrives Dallas

OCT 09 DAP returns MX (via JMWAVE)

OCT 16 LHO hired at TSBD

NOV ?? LHO solicits RR McKeown for guns with big Cuban named Hernandez

NOV ?? Candy Barr identifies LHO waiting in car during JLR visit

DEC 11 RR McKeown probation ends

JAN 28 1964 FBI questions McKeown

APR 12 1978 HSCA Executive Session RR McKeown

Edited by Chris Newton