The Education Forum

Who Killed Martin Luther King?

William C. Sullivan, who investigated the murder of MKL, wrote this in his book, The Bureau: My Thirty Years in Hoover's FBI (1979):

I was convinced that James Earl Ray killed Martin Luther King, but I doubt if he acted alone. Ray was so stupid that I don't think he could have robbed a five- and ten-cent store. He was not only stupid, he was sloppy. He left the rifle he used to shoot King in an alley, and he left beer cans covered with his fingerprints in the tnmk of his abandoned car. Ray could have left the gun in his room, or if he was smart he could have opened a hole in the wall and hid it there. He could even have broken the gun down into two pieces and carried it out in a small box, but he was sloppy. And stupid.

Someone, I feel sure, taught Ray how to get a false Canadian passport, how to get out of the country, and how to travel to Europe because he could never have managed it alone. And how did Ray pay for the passport and the airline tickets? Ray's brother told the FBI, "My brother would never do anything unless he was richly paid."

Thanks to all the clues he'd left we knew we were after Ray, but we had a hell of a time finding his whereabouts. As the weeks passed, the pressure on the FBI to find him grew. Johnson was giving us hell because Ray was a political liability and would remain so until he was in custody. There were rumors about Ray and the FBI: first, people said that we didn't want to find Ray; then they started saying that the FBI itself had a hand in King's murder. We had a lead that Ray had gone to Mexico, but we couldn't find him there or anywhere else.

As a matter of course, I had asked the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to help us find Ray. One night in early June, two months after King was shot, I got a call at home at eleven at night from Bill Kelly, deputy commissioner of the RCMP and a close friend. "I think we've solved your case," he said. The RCMP had painstakingly gone

through 250,000 passport applications, checking pictures and hand writing, until they came up with Ray's alias. It worked; they traced him for us from Canada to Portugal (where he had been living with prostitutes) to England. He had tried to rob a bank in England to get some money, but naturally he bungled the job. We asked the British to move in and pick him up, which they did.

At our request, the British forgot about the bank robbery attempt so that we could bring him back to the United States on a murder charge.

Ray was in custody in London for two days before Hoover released the story to the press. He waited until the day of Bobby Kennedy's funeral to break the news so that the FBI could steal the headline from Kennedy one last time. I told Hoover that we should give the credit for Ray's capture to the RCMP. Hoover said no and the FBI falsely got the credit.

• 2 months later...

According to this transcript of a speech by Michael Collins Piper presented to the Zayed Centre crica 2003:

The San Francisco Weekly, a small progressive, alternative weekly, reported something that had never before been reported and which will be of particular interest to our audience here today:

This is the fact that, according to a former ADL employee in Manhattan, during the 1960's, prior to his assassination, the late Dr. Martin Luther King was viewed as a "loose cannon" by the ADL and was the target of its spying operations. In fact, the ADL turned the fruits of its "fact finding" over to J. Edgar Hoover of the FBI.

Suffice it to say that there have been reports (from sources close to Dr. King and his family) that prior to his assassination Dr. King was moving toward taking a public stand that Zionism is a form of racism.

And in that regard—without pursuing the matter any further than this, I will tell you that Dr. King’s alleged assassin, James Earl Ray—whose bid for exoneration was supported by King’s own family, said early on that he believed that Israel’s Mossad was behind Dr. King’s assassination.

And that, of course, is not something that the American media ever reported.

In any case, despite such revelations, the ADL remains very much a part of the Zionist power bloc in America and the American media eagerly reports anything—repeat ANYTHING—that the ADL asserts without question.

The ADL (a unit of the Mossad) is a virtual adjunct of the pro-Israel media force in America today. You cannot discuss the American media bias in favor of Israel without discussing the role of the ADL.

Piper has a radio program, and repeated this claim on air on Mon., January 15, 2007:

Listen to it HERE (click on the link for the date and locate the discussion between Piper and 'Gene from Texas' - about 4/5ths of the way through the program).

Piper says James Earl Ray initiated correspondence with Piper, had strong views on the Martin Luther King assassination - and that Ray believed the "Mossad and American Jewish elements were those who orchestrated the assassination".

Anyone on the forum like to confirm, deny or amplify?

Edited by Sid Walker

Of course, an alleged assassin's opinion about who orchestrated a murder is not put forward here as decisive evidence.

However, there's an interesting twist. In my previous post, I cited the claim that MLK may have been about to come out strongly against Israel and equate Zionism with Racism.

That would have been big news in the late 60s - and might well have influenced millions to take another look at Israel and the USA's deepening 'friendship'.

When I first began looking into these matters a few years ago, it seemed there was no chance MLK was - even pontetially - anti-Zionist.

After all, he was the author of this widely reported statement, wasn't he?

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

". . . You declare, my friend, that you do not hate the Jews, you are merely 'anti-Zionist.' And I say, let the truth ring forth from the high mountain tops, let it echo through the valleys of God's green earth: When people criticize Zionism, they mean Jews--this is God's own truth.

"Antisemitism, the hatred of the Jewish people, has been and remains a blot on the soul of mankind. In this we are in full agreement. So know also this: anti-Zionist is inherently antisemitic, and ever will be so.

"Why is this? You know that Zionism is nothing less than the dream and ideal of the Jewish people returning to live in their own land. The Jewish people, the Scriptures tell us, once enjoyed a flourishing Commonwealth in the Holy Land. From this they were expelled by the Roman tyrant, the same Romans who cruelly murdered Our Lord. Driven from their homeland, their nation in ashes, forced to wander the globe, the Jewish people time and again suffered the lash of whichever tyrant happened to rule over them.

"The Negro people, my friend, know what it is to suffer the torment of tyranny under rulers not of our choosing. Our brothers in Africa have begged, pleaded, requested--DEMANDED the recognition and realization of our inborn right to live in peace under our own sovereignty in our own country.

"How easy it should be, for anyone who holds dear this inalienable right of all mankind, to understand and support the right of the Jewish People to live in their ancient Land of Israel. All men of good will exult in the fulfilment of God's promise, that his People should return in joy to rebuild their plundered land.

This is Zionism, nothing more, nothing less.

"And what is anti-Zionist? It is the denial to the Jewish people of a fundamental right that we justly claim for the people of Africa and freely accord all other nations of the Globe. It is discrimination against Jews, my friend, because they are Jews. In short, it is antisemitism.

"The antisemite rejoices at any opportunity to vent his malice. The times have made it unpopular, in the West, to proclaim openly a hatred of the Jews. This being the case, the antisemite must constantly seek new forms and forums for his poison. How he must revel in the new masquerade! He does not hate the Jews, he is just 'anti-Zionist'!

"My friend, I do not accuse you of deliberate antisemitism. I know you feel, as I do, a deep love of truth and justice and a revulsion for racism, prejudice, and discrimination. But I know you have been misled--as others have been--into thinking you can be 'anti-Zionist' and yet remain true to these heartfelt principles that you and I share.

Let my words echo in the depths of your soul: When people criticize Zionism, they mean Jews--make no mistake about it."

From M.L. King Jr., "Letter by Martin Luther King a Hoax," Saturday Review_XLVII (Aug. 1967), p. 76.

Reprinted in M.L. King Jr., "This I Believe: Selections from the Writings of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr."

Just one problem... apparently King never wrote that letter.

According to Camera and Tim Wise writing in ZNet, the Letter by Martin Luther King a Hoax.

True to character, Camera covers for the offficial Zionist line - even at it admits the hoax. Congressman John Lewis apparently thinks King might have wanted to say what he never actually wrote - and Lewis comes up with alternative pro-Zionist quotations . Does anyone know if they're accurate and/or confirmed by other sources?

The Lewis statement, which Camera asssures us IS accurate AND may BE CITED, is reproduced below, after opening comments from Camera:

Some folk sure seem to be working VERY hard to keep alive Martin Luther King's alleged infatuation with Zionism - despite a diminishing stock of (real) evidence.

Below is a January 21, 2002 op-ed by U.S. Rep. John Lewis, who worked closely with Dr. King. In the op-ed, he shares Dr. King's views on Israel, views which stressed Israel's democratic nature and Israel's need for security. And he also relates that Dr. King said, “When people criticize Zionists they mean Jews, you are talking anti-Semitism.”

This quotation has been confirmed, so you should feel assured that you can use the quotation in letters. Just be sure to mention that it came from Dr. King's 1968 Harvard University appearance, so that no one will think it is from the debunked “letter.”

The op-ed by Congressman Lewis appears below, and the hoax letter follows.

Monday, January 21, 2002 (San Francisco Chronicle)

“I have a dream” for peace in the Middle East

King's Special Bond with Israel

by John Lewis

THE REV. MARTIN Luther King Jr. understood the meaning of discrimination and oppression. He sought ways to achieve liberation and peace, and he thus understood that a special relationship exists between African Americans and American Jews.

This message was true in his time and is true today.

He knew that both peoples were uprooted involuntarily from their homelands. He knew that both peoples were shaped by the tragic experience of slavery. He knew that both peoples were forced to live in ghettoes, victims of segregation.He knew that both peoples were subject to laws passed with the particular intent of oppressing them simply because they were Jewish or black. He knew that both peoples have been subjected to oppression and genocide on a level unprecedented in history.

King understood how important it is not to stand by in the face of injustice. He understood the cry, “Let my people go.”

Long before the plight of the Jews in the Soviet Union was on the front pages, he raised his voice. “I cannot stand idly by, even though I happen to live in the United States and even though I happen to be an American Negro and not be concerned about what happens to the Jews in Soviet Russia. For what happens to them happens to me and you, and we must be concerned.”

During his lifetime King witnessed the birth of Israel and the continuing struggle to build a nation. He consistently reiterated his stand on the Israel — Arab conflict, stating “Israel's right to exist as a state in security is uncontestable.” It was no accident that King emphasized “security” in his statements on the Middle East,

On March 25, 1968, less than two weeks before his tragic death, he spoke out with clarity and directness stating, “peace for Israel means security, and we must stand with all our might to protect its right to exist, its territorial integrity. I see Israel as one of the great outposts of democracy in the world, and a marvelous example of what can be done, how desert land can be transformed into an oasis of brotherhood and democracy. Peace for Israel means security and that security must be a reality.”

During the recent U.N. Conference on Racism held in Durban, South Africa, we were all shocked by the attacks on Jews, Israel and Zionism. The United States of America stood up against these vicious attacks.

Once again, the words of King ran through my memory, “I solemnly pledge to do my utmost to uphold the fair name of the Jews — because bigotry in any form is an affront to us all.”

During an appearance at Harvard University shortly before his death, a student stood up and asked King to address himself to the issue of Zionism. The question was clearly hostile. King responded, “When people criticize Zionists they mean Jews, you are talking anti-Semitism.”

King taught us many lessons. As turbulence continues to grip the Middle East, his words should continue to serve as our guide. I am convinced that were he alive today he would speak clearly calling for an end to the violence between Israelis and Arabs.

He would call upon his fellow Nobel Peace Prize winner, Yasser Arafat, to fulfill the dream of peace and do all that is within his power to stop the violence.

He would urge continuing negotiations to reduce tensions and bring about the first steps toward genuine peace.

King had a dream of an “oasis of brotherhood and democracy” in the Middle East.

As we celebrate his life and legacy, let us work for the day when Israelis and Palestinians, Jews and Muslims, will be able to sit in peace “under his vine and fig tree and none shall make him afraid.”

U.S. Rep. John Lewis, a Democrat, represents the 5th Congressional District of Georgia and worked closely with Martin Luther King Jr. during the civil rights movement.

Edited by Sid Walker

Sid,

Ray never mentioned any of this to his attorney Dr.William Pepper, nor did he make any such claims in his book 'Who killed Martin Luther King junior'. I think there are a lot of ifs and buts involved to point the finger as Mossad. All the evidence points to military intel, the FBI and a few men in the Memphis police daprtment, not to mention the possibility of Robert Emmet Johnson and Mario Tauler Sague's possible involvement.

I understand that you are only raising this point for the sake of discussion, but the evidence does not point anywhere near to Mossad and frankly I don't hold much faith in Collins Pipers assertions.

There is nothing in MLK's character that would lead us to believe that he would tackle such a divisve issue as Israeli relations with the US. He was far more concerned, at that point, with the Vietnam war and was most likely killed because of his opposition to it.

For an excellent read on the MLK assassination I would suggest 'An Act of State: The execution of Martin Luther King', which I am told will be coming out in a revised paperback edition soon.

All the best,

John