The Education Forum

Did Herminio Diaz Garcia really die in 1966?

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Scott,

There is some confusion about this but it is likely Sandalio Herminio Diaz Garcia was killed in 1966 in the Tony Cuesta-led raid on Cuba. Had he survived, his mug shot would have probably made its way into "Castro's Black Book" with Tony's and the others.

Is this the guy you are talking to?

diaz-ane_higinio.jpg

Zach

Hi Scott,

There is some confusion about this but it is likely Sandalio Herminio Diaz Garcia was killed in 1966 in the Tony Cuesta-led raid on Cuba. Had he survived, his mug shot would have probably made its way into "Castro's Black Book" with Tony's and the others.

Is this the guy you are talking to?

diaz-ane_higinio.jpg

Zach

Hi Zach,

That's why I put his picture up to find out if this is the same person we're talking about in the photograph I'm with, and his name is Higinio "Nino" Diaz just like it says under your brigade 2506 photo. He also said that he worked with Tony Cuesta and Frank Pais. I guess we are talking about the same guy then.

Thanks Zach!

I was waiting for a reply.

Edited by Scott Kaiser

You are welcome Scott.

Here is Nino's BOP file. Looks like he was a Ft. Benning graduate:

First Name HIGINIO

Last Name DIAZ ANE

CIA Number 1336

Brigade Registration Date 3/13/1961

Batallion Unit BON ESP CO JEF

Age at Invasion 36

Birth Place ORIENTE

Brigade Position JEFE BON

Arrival Ship SANTA ANA

Sandalio Herminio Diaz Garcia was not a Bay of Pigs veteran. He was involved in a series of nefarious activities in the Carribean in the 1950s. Herminio Diaz did not emigrate to the United States until the summer of 1963 via Mexico City, where he allegedly met up with a curious group of folks.

Zach

You are welcome Scott.

Here is Nino's BOP file. Looks like he was a Ft. Benning graduate:

First Name HIGINIO

Last Name DIAZ ANE

CIA Number 1336

Brigade Registration Date 3/13/1961

Batallion Unit BON ESP CO JEF

Age at Invasion 36

Birth Place ORIENTE

Brigade Position JEFE BON

Arrival Ship SANTA ANA

Sandalio Herminio Diaz Garcia was not a Bay of Pigs veteran. He was involved in a series of nefarious activities in the Carribean in the 1950s. Herminio Diaz did not emigrate to the United States until the summer of 1963 via Mexico City, where he allegedly met up with a curious group of folks.

Zach

Looks like he was a Ft. Benning graduate

Uh Hmmm?

Edited by Scott Kaiser

• 6 years later...

Sandelio Herminio DIAZ Garcia. There is a 201 file on the individual. The file was opened in September 1957 because of his involvement with Honduran and Costa Rican revolutionary activities. He was debriefed by a CIA case officer in September 1963. (Rip Robertson?) as a Cuban refugee. At that time he claimed to be in contact with anti-Castro groups in Cuba and stated that he wanted to assassinate Castro. He indicated his intention to return to Cuba immediately. We dropped contact with him at that time and never did have an operational relationship with him. In January 1966 he was reported involved with a Cuban emigre group in a plan to infiltrate Cuba for the purpose to assassinate Castro.  On 30 May 1966 he was identified by Radio Havana as a member of a commando group killed while trying to land on the island.  However, in August 1973 and individual with the same name and year of birth was reportedly involved in narcotics trafficking in Costa Rica. A Cuban exile source stated that he believed subject to be identical with the narcotics trafficker in Costa Rica. There is no further information to substantiate this.

Edited by David Boylan

• 3 months later...

Thank you David!  What David provided is the CIA's response to "Castro's Black Book" - a list of CIA operations designed to kill Cuban leaders or overthrow the government - prepared after Castro gave this list to Senator George McGovern: 

The source David provided - the response to Castro's Black Book - can also be found at Mary Ferrell Foundation at 104-10103-10183.

Bill,

I'm going to make a somewhat educated guess, and say that the "Cuban exile source" was Bernado de Torres. Some believe he was "Leopoldo" to Diaz Garcia's "Angel."

"A Cuban exile source stated that he believed subject to be identical with the narcotics trafficker in Costa Rica. There is no further information to substantiate this."

http://documents.theblackvault.com/documents/jfk/NARA-Oct2017/NARA-Nov-2017/180-10097-10488.pdf

http://documents.theblackvault.com/documents/jfk/NARA-Oct2017/NARA-Nov9-2017/104-10070-10181.pdf

David, I can confirm that de Torres did serve as an informant on a number of Cuban exiles he reported as being involved with drug smuggling, primarily via Mexico. His motives for that are unclear although it may have either been a warning that he was able and willing to turn in people as necessary or simply a diversion from the actual smuggling activities of his friends who were raising money for anti Castro activities.  I found samples of his reports but nothing specifically mentioning de Torres.