The Education Forum

Why did Roy Truly bring a rifle to work?

Guest Mark Valenti

It Wasn't Roy Truly... It Was Warren Caster, One Of The TSBD's Managers, & He Brought "Two" Rifles To Work. A .30 odd .06 & A Sporterized Mauser, One Being A Christmas Present For His Son & The Other Being For Himself... He Brought Them To His Office At The Texas School Book Depository After Having Purchased Them During His Lunch Hour On "Wednesday", November 20th...

• 1 month later...
Guest Tom Scully

Gil and Robert Howard, are you familiar with this?

http://web.archive.org/web/20070407094020/http://www.dealeyplazauk.co.uk/Meeting%20Warren%20Caster.htm

Meeting Warren Caster - by Rick Caster

Obits of Warren Dee Caster, of his wife, and of his brother. (Links in that order.) :

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=20010924&id=2wJPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Th8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=4544,2852046

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/starnewsonline/obituary.aspx?n=ruthanna-walz-caster&pid=141082166

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=CASTER&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=34&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=54204920&df=all&

Over on the Tom C. Clark thread, Robert influenced me to revisit the Carol Hughes trail. It has been nagging at me since the last time I got nowhere searching for any trace of Carol. I've spent too much fruitless time on searching for her since Robert's recent post.

I don't have an opinion on Caster. I had hoped the lost Carol Hughes who worked in Caster's office in the TSBD might be related to Caster or his wife....nothing turned up.

Another great find Tom.

The Rick Caster interview of Warren Caster is revealing.

Hope his noting of Oswald's presence at the gun showing wasn't value added, along with the mention to coworker that to see the motorcade better he should go to the sixth floor.

Seemed sincere though.

Glad Rick was able to question him, before he passed, as he should have been years ago...

But yes Warren was ignored.

Gil and Robert Howard, are you familiar with this?

http://web.archive.o...en%20Caster.htm

Meeting Warren Caster - by Rick Caster

Obits of Warren Dee Caster, of his wife, and of his brother. (Links in that order.) :

http://news.google.c...pg=4544,2852046

http://www.legacy.co...r&pid=141082166

http://www.findagrav...4204920&df=all

Over on the Tom C. Clark thread, Robert influenced me to revisit the Carol Hughes trail. It has been nagging at me since the last time I got nowhere searching for any trace of Carol. I've spent too much fruitless time on searching for her since Robert's recent post.

I don't have an opinion on Caster. I had hoped the lost Carol Hughes who worked in Caster's office in the TSBD might be related to Caster or his wife....nothing turned up.

There's no mention in the interview of Caster's service in the US Navy during WWII.

In addition, I believe Caster did an oral interview with Sixth Floor. If anyone can get a transcript of that interview and post it, it would be greatly appreciated.

I also think there might be a book or manuscript that Caster wrote or someone wrote about him.

• 5 months later...
Guest Tom Scully

Earlier today in the Tom Clark thread I posted of success in tracking down Carol Hughes. Carol and first husband John were able to live in Garland for 18 years after her statement to the FBI with no documented contact by the press, book authors, or by researchers.

Mary Bledsoe's other son in California, nor her exhusband in Texas who lived to age 103 were ever questioned. Stuart L. Reed retired in Dallas and was questioned by mail by only one out of state researcher.

What would the impact of this information have been, in 1964, along with any other details about Mary Bledsoe that might have been provided in the examination of her ex-husband by competent defense attorneys. especially that the FBI consistently used similar information to discredit the sources of information counter to its agenda.:

From the "Replying To Dallas Cubans" thread.:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=alexander1&id=I9285

James Eulys BLEDSOE

Surname: Bledsoe

Given Name: James Eulys

Sex: M

Birth: 23 Sep 1891 in Petersburg, Lincoln Co., TN

Death: 20 Feb 1993 in El Paso, TX

_UID: B0B2DAF2EC0FD511B568BD47275DDA4EDC4A

Note: He was slim, 5'll" tall, and elegant with auburn hair and green eyes. He moved from TN with his family to TX around 1910. He divorced his first wife because while he travelled in his job for Southern Pacific Railroad, she played around and got pregnant. He gave the child his name, but the marriage was over. Died of a stroke.

Link to James E. Bledsoe's findagrave.com page:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Bledsoe&GSiman=1&GScnty=2590&GRid=5616547&

Link to findagrave.com page of Bledsoe's second wife, Neta L. Thomason :

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=5616549

(Is it only coincidental that the above linked genealogical record was part of a branch of the Sorrells' family record, and that both James E. Bledsoe and Forrest Sorrells resided in El Paso?)

http://vitals.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ca/death/search.cgi

BLEDSOE JAMES ELYUS 08/28/1914 mother maiden:GERMANY M Birth Place:TEXAS Death Place:BUTTE Death Date:05/05/1981

Dallas Morning News, The : BLEDSOE, PORTER LEEknown to most...

$2.95 - Dallas Morning News - May 12, 2005

He is survived by nephews James Ronald Bledsoe of California and Randolph John Bledsoe of Nevada, and hundreds of good friends who were his family.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/contracostatimes/obituary.aspx?n=brett-bledsoe&pid=146101340

Walnut Creek - Obituary : Brett Bledsoe | | Obituaries

www.zirana.com/walnutcreek/.../obituary_brett_bledsoe_%7C.html

Oct 13, 2010 – Brett is survived by his father, James Ronald Bledsoe, stepmother, Pam Bledsoe, brother, James Bledsoe and many loving relatives and friends ....

Umbrella Man still resides at his 1963 Dallas address.

I documented that cabbie Whaley did not accurately provide the correct year of his birth.

There was no criminal trial of Lee Harvey Oswald. The government made no attempt to duplicate what the defense would have done, had a murder trail taken place. The witnesses presented by the WC would have been subjected to background investigations and to cross examination. The evidence presented by the government would have been thorougly examined and challenged. None of this happened at the most opportune time, or in large measure, since.

Just a few examples. Consider the effort put in by McAdams, Reitzes, von Pein, Myers, etc. to shrink the body of knowledge, and the wasteful feuding over interpretation of film and photo evidence.

What are the break through research highlights by the Sixth Floor Museum?

Until 2008 I just assumed there was a will to unturn every stone. I was wrong. The will seems to be about profit and visibility of authors and would be authors, right wing political propagandizing, and endless ego driven squabbling. To too many, JFK deserved death and a joke of an investigation of his murder because of his private sex life.

I admire the researchers who seek answers and accountability but not with a focus on getting paid for the effort. Let us work together to solve the murder and cover up crimes. Until we do, we live in a country with a corrupt history corrupting and distorting contemporary politics and government policy, the judiciary,

and journalism in a posture of denial as it predictably serves the interests of the comparatively small, entrenched establishment.

Edited by Tom Scully

Guns are normal in Texas and nobody pays any attention to guns everywhere.

And for that reason I find nothing sinister with Oswald carrying a gun into a theater.

But what is less sinister is if he carried nothing but himself into the theater. Especially when, in all likelihood, he did pay his admission.

I wonder if what may be more 'sinister' is Truly stating he had never before or since seen guns in the TSBD. Could that be reasonably seen as true? If not, can it mean anything worthy of consideration?

What are the break through research highlights by the Sixth Floor Museum?

Until 2008 I just assumed there was a will to unturn every stone. I was wrong. The will seems to be about profit and visibility of authors and would be authors, right wing political propagandizing, and endless ego driven squabbling. To too many, JFK deserved death and a joke of an investigation of his murder because of his private sex life.

... Let us work together to solve the murder and cover up crimes. Until we do, we live in a country with a corrupt history corrupting and distorting contemporary politics and government policy, the judiciary, and journalism in a posture of denial as it predictably serves the interests of the comparatively small, entrenched establishment.

no 6th floor breakthroughs that I'm aware of other than simply protecting city fathers interpretation of Nov 22nd 1963 events. Your above last paragraph is right on!

Thank you!

Thanks for posting about Truly bringing a rifle to work. But one thing always stuck in my mind. Some of the reports of finding a rifle the same type that Truly brought to work.

What does everyone think about this?

• 1 year later...

So the title of this thead is wrong, and Truly didn't bring the guns to work, Warren Caster did.

Has anybody read Caster's oral history at Sixth Floor?

Yeah, that was figured out five years ago. (the title of the thread is wrong)

What makes you think Caster's oral history is there?

Because there is a list of people who have given oral histories to the Sixth Floor and I thought I saw his name on the list.

I was wrong however, it is the widow of Jack Cason.

Interviews by Name | The Sixth Floor Museum

Gladys Cason

Cason was the widow of Jack C. Cason, who was president of the Texas School Book Depository in 1963. The Casons, a conservative family, feared for President Kennedy's safety during his visit to Dallas. Recorded September 29, 2005.

BK

• 4 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2011 at 4:09 PM, Greg Parker said:

And does anyone know if he was related to Berry Caster who worked with Bill Randle and was with him on the day of the assassination?

Worthy of note on this thread is Michael Hogan's comment of 7/13/11.  Dean told Sneed "Oswald was not there on the steps as some people have claimed"  No More Silence, 1998, Larry Sneed.  Way before Prayer Man, who was claiming he was on the front steps in 1998 or prior?

https://www.amazon.com/No-More-Silence-Assassination-President/dp/1574411489/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1514790810&sr=1-1&keywords=no+more+silence

Edited by Ron Bulman

On 8/2/2011 at 3:58 AM, Gil Jesus said:

And what has always bugged me about this is Arnold Rowland's description of the rifle he saw firing from the window.

Mr. SPECTER. Can you describe the rifle with any more particularity than you already have?

Mr. ROWLAND. No. In proportion to the scope it appeared to me to be a .30-odd size 6, a deer rifle with a fairly large or powerful scope.

Mr. SPECTER. When you say, .30-odd-6, exactly what did you mean by that?

Mr. ROWLAND. That is a rifle that is used quite frequently for deer hunting. It is an import.

( 2 H 170 )

BTW, the rifles were brought into the building on Wednesday the 20th. If my memory serves me correctly, that's the day that a Dallas Police patrol car allegedly saw "men with rifles" behind the picket fence.

“Two days before the assassination, two Dallas police officers were making their usual rounds on patrol. As they entered Dealey Plaza, they observed several men engaged in target practice with a rifle. The men were situated behind the wooden fence on the Grass Knoll. By the time the policemen reached the area the men had vanished, apparently leaving in a car parked nearby.”

MICHAEL KURTZ in his book, “Crime of the Century” (second revised edition) citing an F.B.I. report dated 11-26-63.

“That same morning [Wednesday, November 20, 1963], in the center of Dallas, two police officers on routine patrol entered Dealey Plaza, through which the presidential motorcade would pass on Friday, and noticed several men standing behind a wooden fence on a grassy knoll overlooking the plaza. The men were engaged in mock target practice, aiming rifles over the fence, in the direction of the plaza. The two police officers immediately made for the fence, but by the time they got there the riflemen had disappeared, having departed in a car that had been parked nearby. The two patrol officers did not give much thought to the incident at the time, but after the assassination of the President two days later, they reported the incident to the F.B.I., which issued a report of it on November 26. For reasons that have never been satisfactorily explained, the substance of the report was never mentioned in the F.B.I.’s investigation of the assassination and the report itself disappeared until 1978, when it finally resurfaced as a result of a Freedom of Information Act request.

JOHN DAVIS, in his book, “Mafia Kingfish”

Two more specific subject connected "coincidences" ( just more on a mountain of hundreds of others ) of rifle guns being seen at the grassy knoll and in the TXSBD building within 2 days of 11,22,1963 that we are to just shrug about?

Dealey Plaza eyewitness Arnold Rowland never said he saw anyone actually shooting a rifle from the TXSBD building on 11,22,1963 , but his WC testimony has always interested me enough to go back to it now and then because, if true, it suggests so much more than his WC questioners seemed to want to know.

Rowland's wife did her best in her testimony to discredit her young husband's truth telling integrity, which I found weird if not sickening, but I wonder if she was lead into this by her questioners in an intimidating setting?

But, Arnold Rowland knew what a 30-odd-6 rifle looked like. He had been around and even used one.

And I always believed Rowland had a better and more close up view of the TXSBD building upper floor windows than most would imagine.

We actually have a couple of buildings in our downtown the size of and even bigger than the Texas School Book Depository building.

I have twice positioned myself on the street near them at the approximate distance Arnold Rowland stated in his WC testimony he was from the TXSBD building between 12:pm and 12:30 pm on Houston Street next to Dealey Plaza on 11,22,1963.

I also did this at Rowland's stated noon hour and in a position like Rowland described where the sun was shining on the building side I was studying.

Let me say, I was taken with how much closer and visible these 6th floor windows were to my sight than I had imagined at the distance I was. Especially with the noon time sun shining on them.

These physical realities made me believe that good vision  Arnold Rowland could very well see what he claimed he saw in those TXSBD building 6th floor windows and with the specifics he states just before JFK's motorcade arrived.

The other story of men ( young or old) mock target practicing with rifles from the grassy knoll picket fence aiming back toward Dealey Plaza just two days before 11,22,1963 in that specific area is just another head shaking, hair raising coincidence relative to what happened there soon after.  And coincidentally on the same day rifles are brought into the TXSBD building to be shown off for the first time anyone can recall?

Combined with rifle sighting reports from Julia Mercer, Ed Hoffman, Gordon Arnold, etc., in Dealey Plaza on 11,22,1963 it seems that area had practically become a public firing range / gun show during those three days.

Please...at what point in number do coincidences centered around a single event become more than coincidences?

In the entire story of JFK in Dallas on 11,22,1963 a rational person is forced to consider that question. 

Edited by Joe Bauer