The Education Forum

OT - Die Zauberflote Holiday Concert 2014

Pamela Brown

I'll be playing Handel's wonderful Messiah, with lavish ornamentation, on an antique (silver) French flute...plus, "What Child is This?" with Donner Brown on guitar.

Mall of America Rotunda

Sunday, December 21, 2014

8 p.m.

Warmest Holiday wishes to everyone! If you are able to attend, please stop and say hello. We'd love to meet you.

I'm likewise performing Messiah this week, though not with original instruments. For violinists the Messiah is a long haul.

I can only imagine. The violin is still a complete mystery to me. I am in awe.

With the flute, it's more about sustaining breath control throughout. But then, as my teacher Sid Zeitlin (Principal Flute of the Minnesota Orchestra at the time) once said, "well, you just breathe in and breathe out!" Actually, he said that about the Bach 2nd Suite, which was one of his favorite pieces, and now it is one of mine. I am playing one of his Louis Lots too. I have such fond memories of learning about Baroque ornamentation from him. He had the most incredible sound, until he was felled by a heart attack. But even afterward, it was mesmerizing to listen to him play. He even made the ends of the notes sound beautiful...I guess, in a way, I am part of his legacy, as he is gone now...

I'm sure your performance will be wonderful....best wishes...

Edited by Pamela Brown

Pamela and Paul,

Any chance you can post an audio clip of your performances?

Yes, a good possibility...stay tuned...

• 5 weeks later...

Pamela and Paul,

Any chance you can post an audio clip of your performances?

Here is a link to Donner and my performance of "What Child Is This?"

Pamela,

Thank you so much. Beautiful music performed beautifully.

As my Grandma Gardner, from a small town in South Dakota would say, "The hope cafe aims to please." ;-)

• 10 months later...

Pamela,

Beautiful music. Many thanks.

Jon

I hope this year's is even more exciting. I probably should have started a new thread...:-)