The Education Forum

James [Jim] Hicks

Lee Forman

James Hicks is an interesting individual, however I am left with a lot of questions concerning his tale. The information that is available does not provide sufficient data relative to his having been a 'radio man.' Does anyone know where that story came from? Sprague and Prouty seem to assume that this was the case - but I don't know where they got this information from. Certainly not from the New Orleans Parish testimony.

The namebase has 2 entries for Jim Hicks - The Assassinations and High Treason. Neither refer to Hicks as being a radio man.

It also doesn't help me to determine where he was located at the time of the shooting in Dealey Plaza, or where the car is he claimed to see, backed up to the fence.

The New Orleans Parish testimony of James [Jim] Hicks can be read here as an Adobe .pdf file.

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/garr...y/pdf/Hicks.pdf

Some of the interesting pieces of his account include the fact that a 'caution sign' [?the Stemmons Sign?] was damaged [marked] during the shooting, and that it was removed within 30 minutes. That seems to dovetail nicely with what Emmett Hudson said about the signs being 'moved.'

However, when Hicks refers to his location, the location from whence he believes the shots originated, the location of the car and the men he claims that he saw behind the fence - he is pointing to a reference unknown. Does anyone have any additional info as to where the car was that he claimed he saw, or where he was standing?

I noted on Don Roberdeau's plat that he has one witness on the sidewalk, close to the Stemmons Sign, designated as 'Hicks.' When I compared it to the z-film bystanders, it seems his 'Hicks' is a woman. Is the Hicks on Roberdeau's plat the same as the man with the shortly cropped hair, standing on the sidewalk, next to the man with the hat?

Here's a combined view. The first is Phil Willis #5, which shows a view of the knoll, as taken from the opposite [south] side of Elm. The second is a shot I took from the sidewalk, on the north side of Elm, and closer to where the 'Hicks' designation appears on the Roberdeau Plat. The third is a photo that is allegedly of Hicks [bottom right with hands in pockets] which shows the radio in his back pocket. If this is Hicks, then he appears to be coming from the south side of Elm, from the direction of the corner of Elm and Houston [roughly].

What I noted is the following:

With the 5' high picket fence, behind the 3' high retaining wall, how would it have been possible for Hicks to have seen a car at all? Yet he manages to not only provide details concerning a man kneeling in the back, by he also goes on to ID the car as a '56 Pontiac!

'56 model Pontiac. And the color of it? If I remember right, a brown, sort of beige,, off-color c white. JUROR: '7 It was backed up to the fence? A. It was back in here.

Nix Classic Gunman - Sitzman, in her Josiah Thompson interview:

Thompson: Marilyn, I've showed you this picture, which is approximately Nix frame 24, the famous frame which shows what some people believe to be a vehicle with a man on top of it. We discussed this earlier, and I take it to be your definite and certain opinion that if there was a vehicle there it was not out in this plateau area.

Sitzman: That's correct. This is one thing that you couldn't miss.

Thompson: Right.

Sitzman: Because it's not that large an area back there, and if there'd been a car back there, especially with someone on top of it, you just don't over look it.

Thompson: Right, right. No, I agree. So, whatever this be, whether it be a vehicle, whatever it is, you feel quite certain it's back of the pergola, back of the line joining the periphery of the pergola with the stockade fence. It's shoved back of this bush, in other words, which appears both in this ...

Sitzman: I know what you're saying, but I still can't say it.

Thompson: I can't figure out how to say ... in other words ...

Sitzman: I can't say that there was ... I can't say ... I can't see how any picture could take a picture of a car back there. It'd have to be up on stilts. That fence is rather high.

The Orville Nix film has a vehicle and what appears to be an individual on top of it [as opposed to kneeling in the trunk]. The vehicle doesn't seem to appear in Moorman or Willis. Also, as I've stated before, unless it was backed up between the area of the fence and the retaining wall [which is possible], we shouldn't be able to see it like we do in Nix - it should be behind the picket fence. The opening there between Shelter #3 and the fence is wide enough to permit a vehicle - but wouldn't this have been noticed by Zapruder and Sitzman [and everyone else!!!!]?

Now Nix Classic Gunman aside, as per Holland, the car that was located at the GKS position, as per Roberdeau's plat - 2nd car from the corner of the picketfence was a '61 light tan Oldsmobile Station Wagon [not sure where he got that info]. Holland seems to imply that the car is the 3rd car from the corner. This is the vehicle that had the mud on the bumper, and where the footsteps were seen in the mud, facing almost due South, backed up to the fence.

Mr. HOLLAND - Well, the only thing that I remember now that I didn't then, I remember about the third car down from this fence, there was a station wagon backed up toward the fence, about the third car down, and a spot, I'd say 3 foot by 2 foot, looked to me like somebody had been standing there for a long period. I guess if you could count them about a hundred foottracks in that little spot, and also mud upon the bumper of that station wagon.

Is it possible that Hicks was leaking some information concerning the shooter, beyond what he could have seen from a much lower level elevation, in Dealey Plaza? Or is it possible that he could have seen this Station Wagon at the fence - backed up to the fence - in the GKS location? Brown, sort of beige, off-white Pontiac vs light tan Oldsmobile Station Wagon? Could the tailgate of this station wagon have been down during the shooting? Maybe that could be what Hicks saw?

It would be helpful to know what Hicks was pointing out as to where he saw the car he refers to in his testimony, or whether there is any more in reference to Hicks - beyond some taped conversations that he apparently had with Garrison - unless someone has those transcripts?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Small gif of the Nix Classic Gunman, somewhat stabilized.

Worth noting - could have been scrubbed from Moorman - sure, that's possible. Sitzman doesn't recall a vehicle back there - even refers to stilts, which I found amusing. Bell and Nix are clearly on a higher elevation than was Moorman - however, insufficient to allow such a view as we see here unless the vehicle was actually physically parked between the fence and retaining wall? The individual doesn't seem to be kneeling in the trunk, as per Hicks account? Is this simply introduced altered rubbish - a red herring?

The Orville Nix film has a vehicle and what appears to be an individual on top of it [as opposed to kneeling in the trunk]. The vehicle doesn't seem to appear in Moorman or Willis. Also, as I've stated before, unless it was backed up between the area of the fence and the retaining wall [which is possible], we shouldn't be able to see it like we do in Nix - it should be behind the picket fence. The opening there between Shelter #3 and the fence is wide enough to permit a vehicle - but wouldn't this have been noticed by Zapruder and Sitzman [and everyone else!!!!]?
Worth noting - could have been scrubbed from Moorman - sure, that's possible. Sitzman doesn't recall a vehicle back there - even refers to stilts, which I found amusing. Bell and Nix are clearly on a higher elevation than was Moorman - however, insufficient to allow such a view as we see here unless the vehicle was actually physically parked between the fence and retaining wall? The individual doesn't seem to be kneeling in the trunk, as per Hicks account? Is this simply introduced altered rubbish - a red herring?

I believe the appearance of the Classic Gunman being atop the car has misled many to see the image only in that context. It is definitely possible for the car to have been back in the parking lot and be seen as it appears in Nix. What cannot be true is that the gunman image would be atop the car. The image is clearly located in front of the pergola wall, where no car could possibly be parked (especially laterally rather than nose in). The HSCA erroneously argued this as if the gunman were atop the car, concluding that he would have to be 9' off the ground to clear the retaining wall. That is not the case when one examines the spot in front of the pergola, which allowed for a clear, unobstructed line of sight to the motorcade, and could not be seen from Zapruder's position.

The remaining argument that this gunman image is light and shadow rather than an actual figure is that it cannot be seen in Moorman. It was only upon traveling to Dallas and doing a rough recreation that I was able to identify the corresponding location of the Nix gunman in Moorman. The brightly lit gunman image would have been in the whited-out area of Moorman just to the left of the pergola. Given that photo enhancement can bring out images in darkened areas by lightening, but that the reverse is not true, the gunman would have been brightly lit in the area of Moorman that is already lightened all the way. The foliage in this area of the Plaza is the most changed feature there. A true recreation with bright sunlight shining into that location is not currently attainable.

T.C.

Edited by Tim Carroll

NICE WORK TIM!

Thanks very much! What this says to me is that there is a very good chance that there were as many as 2 shooters in the parking area. The 2 incidents - GKS and Classic Gunman, may be separate and distinct.

One more observation - Wim gave me his okay to post a plat - can't find it now. The one .222 shell found by Rademacher would correspond quite nicely to the classic Nix position. Maybe I will update the Roberdeau blank plat with the Rademacher finds and include the 30-06 shell found by the tree near the fence corner in 1970s.

As per some of Robin Unger's posts - still wondering if it isn't possible for multiple head wound from 3 different angles, within fractions of seconds. Forward / Back / Left. Wound in the back of the head, front temple, and side. .22 lodged behind Kennedy's ear.

Much to think about. Still would be good to know if Hicks pointed to the area of the Classic Gunman - that would be helpful. Plus the other area he pointed to as well.

- lee

Maybe I will update the Roberdeau blank plat with the Rademacher finds...

Note that the Rademacher map shows Jean Hill witnessing a gunman precisely in line with the Classic Gunman location. The Rademacher map locates her sighting with the same mistake that has commonly been made: placing the gunman too far back into the parking lot. It was a revelation when I returned to this image after a couple of decades and freshly examined the physical logistics - finding that the gunman would have to have been forward of the pergola wall, near where the Rademacher map shows one of the cartridges. I'm still skeptical about the found cartridges; Bob Groden once told me that people find things planted in the Plaza all the time.

T.C.

Edited by Tim Carroll

Lee, Richard Carrs testimony may be relevant to this post. R.R. Carr is quite specific about shots from the fence area. In his Shaw testimony it is clear that he marks this and a missed shot on a diagram. I don't know if this diagram is available, but here is a link to his testimony.:

R.R. Carr: Clay Shaw trial testimony:

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/garr...l/pdf/Feb19.pdf

To me, the "classic gunman" position has always seemed a bit exposed, and one from which unseen escape might be difficult. From your research, is this a valid notion?

I certainly believe there is consideration to be given to the exposure of the Classic Gunman location. The existence of the image seen in Nix and Bell demonstrates that exposure. However, when one really looks at the distribution of on-lookers, this spot was more remote than locations at the fence only a few feet from Emmett Hudson and others. Some have speculated that one or two of the men seen with Hudson may have been a spotter keeping spectators from that area behind the retaining wall. This possibility also applies to Black Dog Man. Similarly, the likelihood would be that there was also some kind of support person preventing any incursion to that area from the parking lot - perhaps directly associated with the car parked up so closely. The bottom line is that it is less obvious a location than the hypothesized Badge Man location, with its requirement of a 7' shooting height at the fence. All of the hypothesized locations behind the fence suffer from limited fields of vision resulting from the trees. The Classic Gunman is the most unobstructed position on the Grassy Knoll. If one looks at the following photo recreating Zapruder's field of view, the concealment provided by the western edge of the pergola becomes more clear.

T.C.

Edited by Tim Carroll

Just to add this to the mix.

James

Hi James,

From the way that newspaper article is written, it sounds like Hicks claimed to know that the hole wasn't in the sign before the shooting. I wonder how he possibly could have known that? I don't suppose he was an official "traffic sign inspector??"

BTW, I've never been able to discern a radio in Hick's back pocket either! I guess we need one of our resident "photo enhancers" to do a little enhancing of that photo for us!!

FWIW, Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

Hi Lee I've seen the Hicks photo with the radio/antenna allegedly in the back pocket many times. I still can't make anything out. Where is it? Can you enlarge and/or refine the image?

Just to jump in here, Nick. I have never been able to spot this alleged radio either.

James

Hi Nick.

Hi James.

It seems to require a big leap here. I think I can make plenty of other folks appear to have radios before I'd be willing to make a wager on this guy based upon the photo. Also, I believe Prouty had it that the antennae wire could be seen trailing out of the pocket. I'm making the assumption here that Prouty & Sprague were privy to information that isn't public, or well known. I don't see why someone that would be called the main radio man would readily come forward to give information relative to the shooter he witnessed? Seems to fly in the face of logic.

Prouty:

This man was in the crowd near Houston and Elm Streets at the time of the shots. The photo shows a two-way radio in the man's left hip pocket with a wire dangling down. This wire is an antenna. What did the Warren Commission say about this? Not a word. They did not see the pictures. This man is known. He is James Hicks, currently in an insane asylum.

Here's another issue I have with it. I don't see the wire, but if Morrow is to be credited, the antennae that he spoke of would have been taped to the individual's leg - I would assume on the inside of the pants?

One day later I received a second phone call. It was [Eladio] del Valle calling from, I assumed, Miami. He asked me to supply him with four transceivers which were not detectable by any communications equipment then available on the market. Although his request seemed impossible, I told him that I had an idea which might fulfill his requirement. I could provide him with sub-miniaturized units whose operation would be confined to a range of fifty or one hundred kilohertz. To operate any sizable distance, the units would require an antenna at least several feet in length. A wire taped to the user's leg would easily suffice for this purpose. The set-up would not be pretty, but I could assure him that no one would be monitoring these low frequencies.

The reason for my posting this thread was really multi-faceted:

1. Because I was unclear about whether or not Hicks may have been referring to a shooter aside from the GKS - whom I firmly believe is a definite - more on that in a separate thread.

2. Because when I read over what appears to be available concerning Hicks [and thanks James! Hadn't seen that one!], I see no connection to his having been a radio man for the operation. That does not mean that he was not - but I'd like to know what Garrison/Sprague/Prouty may have seen that we have not?

3. As with some of the Warren Report material - referencing a witness pointing at specific areas of an unknown exhibit, without benefit of knowing what was being pointed out, is disturbing, to say the least. For example, I managed to locate Exhibit 354 today - and it was quite rewarding. I now know where the bushes were that DPD Smith was searching. And by bizarre coincidence, it fits in with that article posted by James, and the location of the tool sheds - Hicks reference to both sides of the Pergola.

Mr. SMITH. Yes, sir; I glanced around and was watching the crowd to make sure they stayed back out of the way of the motorcade, and also to make sure none of the cars started up or anything. Then I heard the shots, and I immediately proceeded from this point.

Mr. LIEBELER. Point 4 on Commission Exhibit No. 354?

Mr. SMITH. I started up toward this Book Depository after I heard the shots, and I didn't know where the shots came from. I had no idea, because it was such a ricochet.

Mr. LIEBELER. An echo effect?

Mr. SMITH. Yes, sir.; and this woman came up to me and she was just in hysterics. She told me, "They are shooting the President from the bushes." So I immediately proceeded up here.

Mr. LIEBELER. You proceeded up to an area immediately behind the concrete structure here that is described by Elm Street and the street that runs immediately in front of the Texas School Book Depository, is that right?

Mr. SMITH. I was checking all the bushes and I checked all the cars in the parking lot.

Tim et al - RB Cutler's Plat, which was a joint effort with Sprague, has the z313 shot from precisely the location in question. I think again, the trouble is, in my estimation, we are dealing with multiple shots, fired possibly in synch by radio or hand signal, and somehow distorted in the z-film. Cutler's plat relied heavily upon the z-film, in conjunction with the information that they had at their disposal.

Fetzer's MIDP, CatFeet Press, Chicago, c2000, had an interesting piece concerning the interviews of the NPIC guys that originally handled [pun intended] the Zapruder footage - Jeez - found it - Page 319, the NPIC Interviews - Douglas Horne, AARB, Interview of Homer McMahon, Manager of the NPIC color lab in 1963:

McMahon said his opinion, which was that President Kennedy was shot 6 to 8 times from at least three different directions, was ultimately ignored, and the opinion of USSS agent Smith, that there were three shots from behind from the Book Depository, ultimately was employed in selecting frames in the movie for reproduction.

6 - 8, minus back shot, minus throat shot = 3 - 5. Forward [Occiput], Back [Front right Temple], Left [side] = 3. Also, there is still the question as to where the throat shot originated. If the Classic Gunman was using a special high-velocity .22 [that I have seen referenced elsewhere], we've got a strong suspect for a clip to the edge of the Stemmons sign and throat wound, in addition to the shot that knocked Kennedy to his left - which would have been the last shot fired - [unless you take into account the SS man that was killed, and some of the witnesses that were puzzled over a final shot that was heard after the President's head had exploded and they were on their way].

Interesting. Also, given that the list of possible shooters involved is a bit extensive [Lawrence, Rogers, Santana, Files, Vaganov, Roscoe White, Nicoletti, Roselli, Harrelson, etc.], perhaps what was missing was the need to force-fit any or all of them into the GKS position. The old Procustean bed routine - second time this week.

- lee