The Education Forum

James [Jim] Hicks

Lee Forman

Just to add this to the mix.

James

Hi James,

From the way that newspaper article is written, it sounds like Hicks claimed to know that the hole wasn't in the sign before the shooting. I wonder how he possibly could have known that? I don't suppose he was an official "traffic sign inspector??"

BTW, I've never been able to discern a radio in Hick's back pocket either! I guess we need one of our resident "photo enhancers" to do a little enhancing of that photo for us!!

FWIW, Thomas

I've been looking at that and can see no radio. Centered above each pocket is a dark spot, this may be a buttons or those strips of cloth that belts are slipped through. I can imagine that on a grainy photo enhanced in particular ways it could be taken as antennae. The overall size/location of this slight colour /shade difference would make it like dimensions of a flat modern cell phone, not what I'd imagine 60s hand held radio.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the Exhibit. Note the location of number 5.

Mr. SMITH. Yes, sir; I glanced around and was watching the crowd to make sure they stayed back out of the way of the motorcade, and also to make sure none of the cars started up or anything. Then I heard the shots, and I immediately proceeded from this point.

Mr. LIEBELER. Point 4 on Commission Exhibit No. 354?

Mr. SMITH. I started up toward this Book Depository after I heard the shots, and I didn't know where the shots came from. I had no idea, because it was such a ricochet.

Mr. LIEBELER. An echo effect?

Mr. SMITH. Yes, sir.; and this woman came up to me and she was just in hysterics. She told me, "They are shooting the President from the bushes." So I immediately proceeded up here.

Mr. LIEBELER. You proceeded up to an area immediately behind the concrete structure here that is described by Elm Street and the street that runs immediately in front of the Texas School Book Depository, is that right?

Mr. SMITH. I was checking all the bushes and I checked all the cars in the parking lot.

Mr. LIEBELER. Did you have any basis for believing where the shots came from, or where to look for somebody, other than what the lady told you?

Mr. SMITH. No, sir; except that maybe it was a power of suggestion. But it sounded to me like they may have came from this vicinity here.

Mr. LIEBELER. Down around the---let's put a No. 5 there at the corner here behind this concrete structure where the bushes were down toward the railroad tracks from the Texas School Book Depository Building on the little street that runs down in front of the Texas School Book Depository Building.

Mr. SMITH. Yes.

Mr. LIEBELER. Now you say that you had the idea that the shots may have come from up in that area?

- lee

James

Hi James,

From the way that newspaper article is written, it sounds like Hicks claimed to know that the hole wasn't in the sign before the shooting. I wonder how he possibly could have known that? I don't suppose he was an official "traffic sign inspector??"

BTW, I've never been able to discern a radio in Hick's back pocket either! I guess we need one of our resident "photo enhancers" to do a little enhancing of that photo for us!!

FWIW, Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Yes, I'm not sure how Hicks would have known that there wasn't a hole in the sign before the shooting which I think makes him sound like kind of a flake. Also saying that he saw a guy in the trunk of a car with something that looked like a gun? Surely this would have been suspicious in anyone's book.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm just not buying it.

Cheers,

James

Edited by James Richards

Once more on the toolsheds.

Sorry if you've already seen it.

Need to map this out on a Plat also. Penn Jones had 9 shooters, each firing one shot. Interesting, given the range of 6 - 8 shots per sound heard by Hill, and 9 - 14 shots, accounting for dents, strikes to concrete, dents in chrome, holes in windshield, wounds, etc.

It was the echoes. I'd like to hear that radio broadcast which allegedly took place close enough to capture the sound of firecrackers in the background.

Possible locations of Shooters [just my opinion]:

DalTex - 2nd Floor, storage room

TSBD - 7th Floor East

5th floor east

6th floor west

Parking Area - Fence Corner, GKS location

Pergola Shelter 3 / Parking area - Nix Classic Gunman

Pergola Shelter 4 / Pergola Gardens - TBD

County Records Roof

Something to think about here, that's for sure.

- lee

Edited by Lee Forman

James

Hi James,

FWIW, Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Yes, I'm not sure how Hicks would have known that there wasn't a hole in the sign before the shooting which I think makes him sound like kind of a flake. Also saying that he saw a guy in the trunk of a car with something that looked like a gun? Surely this would have been suspicious in anyone's book.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm just not buying it.

Cheers,

James

--------------------------

NOT that I would give any support to Hicks, or for that matter, any other "eyeball witness" [who have been repeatedly & scientifically proven to be 80+% UNRELIABLE] -- but then I guess Y'all missed the REDACTED testimony as to the "ping" sound of a bullet striking metal somewhere near the "J/Canoe" that day.

That same sound was first used in the Charlie Sheen movie "Navy Seals" -- at the insistence of that movie's senior SEAL adviser, whose burnt body was hung from a bridge in Iraq a while back !!

Dozens of movies since the 1990's have thrown in that "rounds" impacting steel & metal objects [ping & clanking] -- the most famous being "Saving Private Ryan", where Dale Dye [of "Platoon" & "JFK"] insisted on copying the then very new "SEAL acoustic style"

Chairs,

GPH

In the image that James posted of Hicks in DP, the alleged radio in Hick’s back pocket is obscured by the blackened out area around Hick’s waist. In the image that Lee posted, the black object or "radio" pointed to with the red arrow is in the wrong place.

Hick's waist and the “radio” can be clearly seen in the print that is on page 51 of TKOAP. However, the “radio” looks to me like it’s too high and to the left on Hick’s hip to be in his back pocket. It looks more like some kind of black patch or something on the hem of his jacket, which fits tight at the waist. The object is simply in an odd position to be something in his pocket.

Now I want to post here this image of Hick’s wife Karen that James posted earlier on the Lancer forum:

karenhicks.jpg

As discussed on Lancer, it’s possible if not likely that this is the same “Karan” (the spelling in an FBI statement, which could of course be wrong) Hicks, 19, who worked for the Southwestern Publishing Company in the TSBD and was an assassination witness (standing with TSBD employees Gloria Calvery, Carol Reed, and Karen Westbrook, about halfway between Houston St. and the underpass).

She is identified in the FBI statement (22H650) as “Mrs. James Daniel (Karan) Hicks.” It’s frustrating that in no document I’ve seen, including Hicks’s New Orleans deposition, is any middle name of Hicks given, nor have I seen any document that says where his wife worked in Dallas. His wife is mentioned in his deposition, but they never ask him where she worked. It’s therefore impossible to say for certain that Hick’s wife Karen worked at the TSBD, unless someone knows of a confirming document that I haven’t seen.

TSBD employee Geneva Hine testified that right after the shooting, she wanted to get to some window facing Elm to see what was happening. So she knocked on the door of the second floor office of the Southwestern Publishing Company, which was locked. “And there was a girl in there talking on the telephone and I could hear her but she didn't answer the door. . . . I called and called and shook the door and she didn't answer me because she was talking on the telephone; I could hear her. They have a little curtain up and I could see her form through the curtains.” Hine finally left to try somewhere else.

Was something sinister going on with the Southwestern Publishing Company? If so, could this be why the record is so vague as to whether Jim Hicks’s wife was the same Karen Hicks that worked for that company? This would be suspicious only if (and it's a very big if) Hicks was indeed a "radio man" or was playing some other role in the plot. If indeed Hicks was somehow involved, and if his wife worked at the Southwestern Publishing Company, and if there was something funny going on there (a lot of if's piling up here), then Hicks would have "naturally" had access or connection to that company as the husband of an employee. Would that access or connection have been purely casual?

“Karan” Hicks, Gloria Calvery, Carol Reed, and Karen Westbrook were all young (the oldest was 21 at the time) and should still be alive, if (another if!) some researcher(s) could ask any of them what they know about James Hicks.

Edited by Ron Ecker

In the image that James posted of Hicks in DP, the alleged radio in Hick’s back pocket is obscured by the blackened out area around Hick’s waist. In the image that Lee posted, the black object or "radio" pointed to with the red arrow is in the wrong place.

Hick's waist and the “radio” can be clearly seen in the print that is on page 51 of TKOAP. However, the “radio” looks to me like it’s too high and to the left on Hick’s hip to be in his back pocket. It looks more like some kind of black patch or something on the hem of his jacket, which fits tight at the waist. The object is simply in an odd position to be something in his pocket.

Now I want to post here this image of Hick’s wife Karen that James posted earlier on the Lancer forum:

karenhicks.jpg

As discussed on Lancer, it’s possible if not likely that this is the same “Karan” (the spelling in an FBI statement, which could of course be wrong) Hicks, 19, who worked for the Southwestern Publishing Company in the TSBD and was an assassination witness (standing with TSBD employees Gloria Calvery, Carol Reed, and Karen Westbrook, about halfway between Houston St. and the underpass).

She is identified in the FBI statement (22H650) as “Mrs. James Daniel (Karan) Hicks.” It’s frustrating that in no document I’ve seen, including Hicks’s New Orleans deposition, is any middle name of Hicks given, nor have I seen any document that says where his wife worked in Dallas. His wife is mentioned in his deposition, but they never ask him where she worked. It’s therefore impossible to say for certain that Hick’s wife Karen worked at the TSBD, unless someone knows of a confirming document that I haven’t seen.

TSBD employee Geneva Hine testified that right after the shooting, she wanted to get to some window facing Elm to see what was happening. So she knocked on the door of the second floor office of the Southwestern Publishing Company, which was locked. “And there was a girl in there talking on the telephone and I could hear her but she didn't answer the door. . . . I called and called and shook the door and she didn't answer me because she was talking on the telephone; I could hear her. They have a little curtain up and I could see her form through the curtains.” Hine finally left to try somewhere else.

Was something sinister going on with the Southwestern Publishing Company? If so, could this be why the record is so vague as to whether Jim Hicks’s wife was the same Karen Hicks that worked for that company? This would be suspicious only if (and it's a very big if) Hicks was indeed a "radio man" or was playing some other role in the plot. If indeed Hicks was somehow involved, and if his wife worked at the Southwestern Publishing Company, and if there was something funny going on there (a lot of if's piling up here), then Hicks would have "naturally" had access or connection to that company as the husband of an employee. Would that access or connection have been purely casual?

“Karan” Hicks, Gloria Calvery, Carol Reed, and Karen Westbrook were all young (the oldest was 21 at the time) and should still be alive, if (another if!) some researcher(s) could ask any of them what they know about James Hicks.

Thanks Ron!!!!

You may have answered one of the questions I had concerning the witness on Elm named 'Hicks.' Can't help but wonder if there is a relationship to DPD Officer Hicks, who was off duty that morning [like Tilson, Olsen, Tippit's partner, etc.].

It still remains to be seen which witness Roberdeau may have overlooked on his plat, or whether I have made an error. I wonder if June Dishong also worked for the Southwestern Publishing Company? Don doesn't have that info on his site.

We can see Mrs. DISHONG in the ZAPRUDER film. She is standing along the Elm Street north curbline, just east (ZAPRUDER-frame leftward) of the "Stemmons" freeway sign. She is the fourth person to the frame-apparent left of the sign, who has darker, somewhat short hair, and she is wearing a blouse with red and blue plaid stripes, and a dark colored skirt. Mrs. DISHONG’s family has confirmed to me that she pointed herself out to the family in several "Life" magazines they still have, and that she confirmed she was the 4th person seen to the left of the “Stemmons” sign in ZAPRUDER-film, as seen here….

That quote thanks to Don Roberdeau's site. http://hometown.aol.com/DRoberdeau/JFK/DIS...ions112263.html

That's a great idea - also ask them if they went prone on the sidewalk, and whether it seemed if a shot came from the area almost directly behind them - and if one of them was the one who alerted DPD Smith that someone was shooting the President from the bushes. Also as to whether they heard an ear-shattering sound directly behind them. And if they saw any of the shooters, of course.

- lee

Gary Mack has informed me that Gloria Calvery died several years ago.

That leaves "Karan" Hicks, Carol Reed, and Karen Westbrook who ought to be interviewed by someone, not just about Hicks of course but about what they saw and heard during the assassination.

Apparently all that the FBI wanted to know was where they were and if they saw Lee Harvey Oswald messing around that day.

If all Hicks could see was the back of the vehicle, and there really was a vehicle in that position, makes you wonder if he got the make and model wrong.

Something's wrong with the Hicks account anyway. A gunman couldn't be in the trunk of a station wagon. My guess is that the vehicle, and "there really was a vehicle in that position" unless one believes in film alteration, was a dirty white '61 Chevy Impala.

T.C.

If all Hicks could see was the back of the vehicle, and there really was a vehicle in that position, makes you wonder if he got the make and model wrong.

Something's wrong with the Hicks account anyway. A gunman couldn't be in the trunk of a station wagon. My guess is that the vehicle, and "there really was a vehicle in that position" unless one believes in film alteration, was a dirty white '61 Chevy Impala.

T.C.

This one from the Lancer Forum, also posted here on the Education Forum, thanks to Steve Thomas.

Re: My Dad was a Dallas Police Officer

Posted By: jim conner <pyrpinz@aol.com>

Date: Wednesday, 25 May 2005, at 2:51 p.m.

In Response To: Re: My Dad was a Dallas Police Officer (gene morris)

"Dear Gene:

After the incident, everyone at TSB was interviewed. My mother's story then and now has stayed the same. Her parking space was just behind the fence at the grassy knoll. When she arrived for work that morning, she confronted several men in a car parked in her parking spot. Being the fiesty, Scotch-Irish she was, she told them they were not supposed to be parking there. They ignored her and continued to involve themselves in removing packages from the trunk of their car. Packages she described as could have contained rifles. She went inside and reported the incident to the manager of TSB Mr. Truly.

Throughout the rest of the day no mention was made of the incident and when interviewed by DPD she told the same story. There was no SS followup, nor was FBI interested. They were much more interested in holding Billie Lovelady for three days. Finally when a photograph of the front steps of TSB, showing Billie and most of the crew, surfaced, they figured he could not have been in two places at the same time. For years after that they still pestered him, just certain that he was involved in some way."

I emailed Jim Conner and asked him if his mother ever told him what kind of car the men were in and if she had ever described the men. So far, Mr. Conner hasn't answered me.

Steve Thomas

You want that particular spot, you'd better get there early. I wonder if Steve has an update. We could simply provide a list of vehicles to this individual, Jim Conner, but it occurs to me that the vehicles mentioned by Bowers would have been too late to seek 'Pole Position' [as we used to call it at my office] - however, it was lunch time. But then, normally folks that work in a downtown Urban sector walk to lunch or bring it with them, due to traffic - and it was the day of the motorcade. Thinking we can safely eliminate all 3 vehicles seen by Bowers?

If the spot Mrs Conner was upset about was the one right at the end of the fence, and she could recall the make, color, model - we'd know something.

I'll email Steve, and if he hasn't heard back, and he's okay with it, I'll check with Jim Conner also.

- lee

Lee,

I emailed Jim Conner and asked him if his mother ever told him what kind of car the men were in and if she had ever described the men. So far, Mr. Conner hasn't answered me.

Steve Thomas

You want that particular spot, you'd better get there early. I wonder if Steve has an update.

As I emailed you this morning, I did hear back from Jim Conner. He said, "The car was a Ford, 4 door Station Wagon with Texas license.(Cream colored)

She wrote the license number down and gave it to Mr. Truly."

Steve Thomas

Lee,

Steve Thomas

You want that particular spot, you'd better get there early. I wonder if Steve has an update.

As I emailed you this morning, I did hear back from Jim Conner. He said, "The car was a Ford, 4 door Station Wagon with Texas license.(Cream colored)

She wrote the license number down and gave it to Mr. Truly."

Steve Thomas

Darn Steve! That was too quick! I was going to place a bet with Tim Carroll! ;)

AWESOME! Thanks very much for that! Any chance you may be able to send this photo and see if it fits in with the car she saw? And if her spot was as referenced?

- lee

Edited by Lee Forman