Aviation

the possibilities are endless in geography

i hope to focus on the following issues here in toulouse:

• industrial location of assembly plant and airport
  • labour mobility
  • urban development and knock-on effects in toulouse
  • environmental impacts of transporting parts of the A380 superjumbo
  • trade and competition in the airline industry

my students will hopefully be investigating these topics then generating some online materials and resources

peter flynn

international school of toulouse, france

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aviation History.

During this Christmas holidays I gathered articles and historical background about Swedish aviation development from the start of the past century and up to today. Now I’m working at the article named "History of Swedish Aviation" which I intend to publish at History department/Virtual school. I would like to invite other aviation historian to write about the development of the aviation in their countries. I hope that this initiative will generate more contributions about the historical development of aviation in different European countries. I hope that my contribution will be published within the next two or three weeks.

History department is situated at:

http://vs.eun.org/eun.org2/eun/en/vs-histo....cfm?id_area=21

My contribution to the Aviation Project can be found HERE.

At the Madrid meeting I was asked to look at the social and environmental impact of the development of the aviation industry. I decided to do a case study of a recently successful campaign against a new airport on the Cliffe marshes (literally 3 miles from my front door as it happens :D ). I am just waiting for one of the leading campaigners to get back to me with a narrative of how the capmpaign progressed and then will also add an interactive quiz on all the materials to the site.

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Robert Tressell’s last surviving relative (Reg Johnson) today. He showed me the Tressell archives. I asked him if he wrote anything else. Apparently, he wrote a great deal but everything bar one article was stolen from Tressell’s daughter when she was Canada. The surviving article (with drawings) was written in 1902 and is called ‘The Evolution of the Airship’. It has never been published but has agreed for it to be used for our Aviation Project.

Dalibor,

I am trying to do something similar to what you have done. I am gathering Spanish web sites dealing with history of aviation.

On top of that, I have been collaborating with an Economics teacher at my school and we have already on line a Flash Animation on Chronology of Aviation. Cien años de la aviación 1903-2003

Hopefully, my page will be on line at the end of February.

John,

It seems to me very interesting this Robert Tressell's document, written just before Wrights' fly.

It seems to me very interesting this Robert Tressell's document, written just before Wrights' fly.

The article was actually written in 1902. The first paragraph is especially interesting:

"The most, powerful navy that could be built, the strongest fortifications that the wit of man could devise, or the most numerous and efficient army in the world, would all be comparatively helpless and at the mercy of the nation possessing a fleet of airships so designed as to be capable of carrying quantities of high explosives, and really under the control of those who manned them."

I have also discovered that he built a 6ft model airship that was displayed in the garden of his home. He called it the Martian and looked very much like the Hindenberg Airship.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/Rober...ll-aviation.htm

I have read about the Virtual School Project about aviation and I find it very interesting.

I teach English in the Aeronautics Department of the biggest industrial technical school in Italy (www.malignani.ud.it/aeronautica.htm , mainly in Italian at the moment).

Italian aerobatic flight was born here and the National Aerobatic Team has its base near our city. Many of our ex-students are military and civilian pilots, engineers or experts in aircraft maintenance now and our tradition in the field goes back to the years 1930s, when our school was founded.

We could contribute to the project with the history of the birth and development of aerobatic flight in Italy, but also with more technical contents.

Italian aerobatic flight was born here and the National Aerobatic Team has its base near our city. Many of our ex-students are military and civilian pilots, engineers or experts in aircraft maintenance now and our tradition in the field goes back to the years 1930s, when our school was founded.

We could contribute to the project with the history of the birth and development of aerobatic flight in Italy, but also with more technical contents.

This is great news. We will be in contact with you soon.

I am now starting to look at practical activities that will combine some science with simple design elements.

Power flight using non hazardous chemicals

Best design (highest) for a hot air balloon. Students design and make, the teacher supplies the hot air.

:blink:

Dalibor,

I am trying to do something similar to what you have done. I am gathering Spanish web sites dealing with history of aviation.

I wrote my article relatively fast and it was done by midst of January. Then I started rewriting process which gave me better and better content after every new try.

Then I sent the article to my friend who is former officer. He discovered that it was relatively long and kept it for a week. Yesterday he wrote to me that I will get it back from him with corrections tomorrow. If so I will resend it to you for comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Here http://www.historiasiglo20.org/aviation/index.htm you can find my first contribution to the Aviation Project.

The “Aviation” has been placed by Virtual school webmaster Young Chui Hsia at History department at my request. It can be view at:

http://vs.eun.org/eun.org2/eun/en/vs-histo...ang=en&ov=33080

Juan Carlos sent me his contribution before my winter holiday and asked me to add it to others. I will do this asap.

(Why “The Olympic games project” is not visible at History department is a puzzle for me. I will look into this matter right now.)