The Education Forum

Any Info on S L Reed

Robert,

What I'm trying to get at is, who determined it was McWatters bus? I take it Groden was the individual who captioned the version you have? Is he the one who decided it was McWatters' bus?

The FBI, together with Reed's daughter, determined that 10 in the series were "assassination-related" - the rest were family snaps and not necessarily taken on 11/22. According to Reed, the TSBD ones were taken about an hour after the shooting... which basically puts him in two places at once...

In the end, the FBI decided only 3 had any value - the arrest shots.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=111185&relPageId=84

At the moment, it's just any old bus that could have been taken any time while Reed was in Dallas.

A longshot thought: What if those two photos were taken on a day prior to the assassination to identify a bus on which a "getaway" could be made - or said to be made? This doesn't work however, if there is no way to identify the bus from the photos.

Good questions, Greg. I assume it was Groden who captioned the photos. Perhaps his new book will expand upon that.

As for the provenance of the photos, I assume they were taken on 11/22/63 because the traffic looks quite snarled. I likewise assume they were taken at the same time, because they both show that type of traffic, and because we see a white square-box truck in proximity to the bus in each.

Taking John Dolva's sage advice about discerning time of day from shadows, it seems to my uninformed eye they were taken mid-day, showing the same type of shadow pattern as photos taken in Dealey Plaza at the same time of day.

As for whether it was McWatters' bus, I would have to re-read extensively to determine whether:

* McWatters was the only one to drive that route on that or any other day;

* If another bus, covering another route, also travelled westward along Elm as part of its route.

If no other Dallas transit buses ever travelled westward on that portion of Elm, then we know with some certainty it was the bus usually driven by McWatters, assuming no other driver ever covered his route on a day shift.

I am assuming the Commission determined the bus photos were not "relevant" to the assassination for fear that somebody would raise the same questions I have. What are the odds that somebody unconnected to the case would taken photos of the TSBD after the assasination, plus the getaway bus that nobody knew the purported assassin was riding (twice!), plus the arrest of that purported assassin across town?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert,

What I'm trying to get at is, who determined it was McWatters bus? I take it Groden was the individual who captioned the version you have? Is he the one who decided it was McWatters' bus?

The FBI, together with Reed's daughter, determined that 10 in the series were "assassination-related" - the rest were family snaps and not necessarily taken on 11/22. According to Reed, the TSBD ones were taken about an hour after the shooting... which basically puts him in two places at once...

http://www.maryferre...85&relPageId=84

At the moment, it's just any old bus that could have been taken any time while Reed was in Dallas.

A longshot thought: What if those two photos were taken on a day prior to the assassination to identify a bus on which a "getaway" could be made - or said to be made? This doesn't work however, if there is no way to identify the bus from the photos.

Good questions, Greg. I assume it was Groden who captioned the photos. Perhaps his new book will expand upon that.

As for the provenance of the photos, I assume they were taken on 11/22/63 because the traffic looks quite snarled. I likewise assume they were taken at the same time, because they both show that type of traffic, and because we see a white square-box truck in proximity to the bus in each.

Taking John Dolva's sage advice about discerning time of day from shadows, it seems to my uninformed eye they were taken mid-day, showing the same type of shadow pattern as photos taken in Dealey Plaza at the same time of day.

As for whether it was McWatters' bus, I would have to re-read extensively to determine whether:

* If another bus, covering another route, also travelled westward along Elm as part of its route.

If no other Dallas transit buses ever travelled westward on that portion of Elm, then we know with some certainty it was the bus usually driven by McWatters, assuming no other driver ever covered his route on a day shift.

I am assuming the Commission determined the bus photos were not "relevant" to the assassination for fear that somebody would raise the same questions I have. What are the odds that somebody unconnected to the case would taken photos of the TSBD after the assasination, plus the getaway bus that nobody knew the purported assassin was riding (twice!), plus the arrest of that purported assassin across town?

How could Reed's taking photos of: 1) the TSBD after the assassination, 2) the presumptive "get away" bus (from such great distances that it's impossible to see any of its passengers), and 3) the arrest of LHO at the Texas Theater be expected to help the bad guys? Or did Bad Guy Reed take them just to have some momentos of "The Big Event" to add to his photo album/scrap book back home?

--Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

Robert,

http://www.maryferre...85&relPageId=84

How could Reed's taking photos of: 1) the TSBD after the assassination, 2) the presumptive "get away" bus (from such great distances that it's impossible to see any of its passengers), and 3) the arrest of LHO at the Texas Theater be expected to help the bad guys? Or did Bad Guy Reed take them just to have some momentos of "The Big Event" to add to his photo album/scrap book back home?

--Tommy :sun

How do you know what would and would not "help the bad guys"? Reed may be innocent of any involvement, but from what I have learned of his background, a reason is needed to take him off the "persons of interest" list given these extraordinary set of slides.