The Education Forum

International Student Debate

John Simkin

I read somewhere that this debate has started. Two of my students have recieved emails about the project. But where can I follow the discussion?

Please?

Pauline

Pauline

I run into the same problem. This is the answer I did obtain from Richard when I investigated where to find the debate:

"It is on the education forum!

You need to log on with your new user name and you will see it."

I hope it will help you in the same way as it eventually helped me.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I log in with Mr Koene I cannot log out!!?? Emptying my cache memory does not help. What i do is restart my browser and hope for the best :D

Help, oscour!

Anyone else having problems? I've not encountered anything yet.

Unless I face objections, I am going to make the student forum visible on Monday, perhaps with the first of our planned debates on Nationalism? I know a lot of schools are on holiday but it doesn't seem to be stopping the posting.

A reminder that even when visible, only students and their teachers will be able to post (I hope :D ) Hopefully this will help those who have had difficulty finding the forum.

Richard,

Are the students receiving any sort of username and password?As far as I know they have not received any. Otherwise, do they have to log in using my username or password? I suppose not.

I have started a student debate on Nationalism and the School Curriculum.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=420

I have also started the same debate in the main part of the forum for the teachers.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=421

Please tell your students about the debate. Would you also tell your students to add details of their school and country in their signature. I think this is something we should insist upon (see board rules).

• 2 weeks later...
Richard,

I am prepared to start the discussion on religious symbols, dress etc. in schools and my two students are prepared to join the forum. Simply tell how to do it and what to do.

Excellent.

Just go to the student section of the forum using your teacher log-in. Add 'new topic' and write a short introduction to get things started. Send me a copy of what you intend to say if you'd like me to check it.

I have said that the new topic might begin next Monday but you can add it at any time before then and I'll lock it until Monday.

• 4 weeks later...

As a result of the work I have been doing on the JFK assassination I have been invited to join a private forum of academics researching the case. I have been pleased with the level of generosity that these people have shown in sharing their knowledge about this complex subject. I am thinking of asking a small number of them to appear live on the International Education Forum where they would answer questions from teachers and students about the JFK assassination. Sort of Question Time type programme. Would any members and their students like to get involved in this? Maybe members could ask the questions for their students (solve the problem of student registration).

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKindex.htm

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=126

• 1 year later...

This post might seem rather odd, seeing as this has been a seemingly dead topic for the last year and a half, and also that I am a student member of the Student Education Forum, which seems to have evolved somewhat from the minds of the people involved with this discussion.

Unfortunately, the Student's version of this forum seems to be failing. I believe this is due to a lack of interest, the senior members of the forum who have left to go on to other things, and the feeling that the forum's time as an interesting educational source, and a way of understanding other cultures and viewpoints has worn out.

It would be a shame to see the forum die due to this deline, or have its sole purpose being a way of students of the International School of Toulouse to communicate with their teachers concerning school work.

But I sincerley think that the student can get back on its feet by introducing new students to the idea behind it. It seems that there was a lot of interest in the early months of 2004 to have student representatives from different schools in different countries to participate in different debates. One of the problems I saw with the Student Education Forum is that it seemed to be exclusive to a handful of schools (and a few individual members of miscellanious schools. I think that if we manage to get more representatives of different cultures and backgrounds on to the forum, and add some new, up-to-date debating/discussion topics, then we could give the forum a sense of new life.

This is why I have posted this here. I've found that this forum has the widest range of representatives of european schools around, and is directley connected to the Student Education forum. If we could spark of an interest in other schools around Europe, all types of students would benefit culturaly and educationaly from discussions and debates that would take place.

If anyone here would be interested in helping to get the Student Education Forum back on its feet again, this would be very much appreciated.

This post might seem rather odd, seeing as this has been a seemingly dead topic for the last year and a half, and also that I am a student member of the Student Education Forum, which seems to have evolved somewhat from the minds of the people involved with this discussion.

Unfortunately, the Student's version of this forum seems to be failing. I believe this is due to a lack of interest, the senior members of the forum who have left to go on to other things, and the feeling that the forum's time as an interesting educational source, and a way of understanding other cultures and viewpoints has worn out.

It would be a shame to see the forum die due to this deline, or have its sole purpose being a way of students of the International School of Toulouse to communicate with their teachers concerning school work.

But I sincerley think that the student can get back on its feet by introducing new students to the idea behind it. It seems that there was a lot of interest in the early months of 2004 to have student representatives from different schools in different countries to participate in different debates. One of the problems I saw with the Student Education Forum is that it seemed to be exclusive to a handful of schools (and a few individual members of miscellanious schools. I think that if we manage to get more representatives of different cultures and backgrounds on to the forum, and add some new, up-to-date debating/discussion topics, then we could give the forum a sense of new life.

This is why I have posted this here. I've found that this forum has the widest range of representatives of european schools around, and is directley connected to the Student Education forum. If we could spark of an interest in other schools around Europe, all types of students would benefit culturaly and educationaly from discussions and debates that would take place.

If anyone here would be interested in helping to get the Student Education Forum back on its feet again, this would be very much appreciated.

Henri

I think it is inevitable that there will be troughs of inactivty for the Student Forum as old hands leave and new students are introduced to it.

I would also however encourage teachers on this forum to become involved and get either Richard or myself to register their students

http://www.studenteducationforum.ipbhost.com

Great reminder for us all to get active again. Unfortunately it is near the end of the year for Australians. I will look at yr 10 students instead of senior ones. I had even forgotten my password because lazy me usually replies to an RSS message. :( I will be more proactive because I have been relying on others.

Edited by Pauline Crawford