The Education Forum

Couch/Kouch/Walker/Osborne/Silviera/DRE

Greg Parker

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I have been intending to update this thread for quite some time, and became bogged down regarding some name checks of individuals on the Silviera List; suffice to say that some of that is going to take some time.

In the meantime, I wanted to post material that gets back to Madrid and the DRE.

First I ran across this today on maryferrell.org

BELT, GUILLERMO (DR.)

Sources: CD 49 (26); CD 205, p. 768; Red Star Over Cuba, Weyl (35)

Mary's

Comments: Former Cuban Ambassador to the United States - 1945-1947. Head of Cuba's delegation to the Inter-American Conference in Bogota, Colombia, in 1948. He provided haven for Fidel Castro and Rafael del Pino when Colombian authorities were trying to arrest them in the Claridge Hotel in Bogota. Guillermo had them flown back to Cuba. Provided information to FBI on 11/26/63 that, according to Jose Antonio Lanuza, Oswald had been in Miami "one or two months ago" attempting to infiltrate the anti-Castro organization DRE.

This may be an instance of an unreliable source on the other hand, given the fact that there is a story out there that Oswald called in on a radio show in Florida, [pre-assassination - Hemming] I thought it was worth posting.

More importantly, I wanted to post an excerpt from "The Strength of the Wolf- The Secret History of America's War on Drugs." by Douglas Valentine.

page 314.....

"In tracing the money used to finance the [July 1961] de Gaulle assassination plots, French Intelligence discovered that about $200,000 in secret funds had been sent to Permindex accounts in the Banque de la Credit Internationale. In 1962, Bannister had dispatched to Paris a lawyer friend.....with a suitcase full of money for the OAS, reportedly around $200,000."

footnote reference James DiEugenio Destiny Betrayed page 211

".......Bannister's money allegedly went to Jean Rene Marie Souetre-- or someone impersonating him. A French Army deserter and the OAS representative in southern Algeria, Souetre reportedly met in the spring of 1963 with E. Howard Hunt in Madrid, ultra General Walker in Dallas and Guy Bannister at 544 Camp Street. In June he offered the CIA a list of KGB penetrations in the French government. Souetre was also reportedly "on the Paris end of drug traffic," and had been followed for years by an undercover narcotics agent in Marseilles."

footnote reference Dick Russell - The Man Who Knew Too Much 1992 page 563

As far as I am aware, E Howard Hunt had always maintained that he had never been to Madrid "until 1965." While a book is not a official document, I feel very comfortable in stating that Valentine has done the research community a real service and if I were to describe the book it is a complete history of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, with substantial segments on MK-ULTRA, the switchover from the FBN to the Bureau of Narcotics & Dangerous Drugs and the DEA.

Edited by Robert Howard

BELT, GUILLERMO (DR.)

Mary's Comments: Former Cuban Ambassador to the United States - 1945-1947. Head of Cuba's delegation to the Inter-American Conference in Bogota, Colombia, in 1948. He provided haven for Fidel Castro and Rafael del Pino when Colombian authorities were trying to arrest them in the Claridge Hotel in Bogota. Guillermo had them flown back to Cuba. Provided information to FBI on 11/26/63 that, according to Jose Antonio Lanuza, Oswald had been in Miami "one or two months ago" attempting to infiltrate the anti-Castro organization DRE. (Robert Howard)

I seem to recall that Jose Antonio Lanuza was in fact Jose Lanusa Nobel.

Guillermo Belt below.

James

• 4 months later...

I decided I would not update this thread, until there was something really worth posting.......

Malcolm Couch was not the only media person who was on the inside, so to speak surrounding the pre-assassination activities in Dallas before 11/22/63.

Wes Wise, also figured in presidential security arrangements, although his interaction with government officials was in my opinion not suspicious. He was called upon to view footage of the Adlai Stevenson "incident" as to determine if any individuals possibly posed a threat for JFK's upcoming visit. A fact that is basically old news to many......

However, what definitely strikes me as unusual is the fact that there is a possibility that Lee Harvey Oswald was not the only member of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee who was in the basement of the Dallas Police Department when Oswald was terminated. The original April 6th 1960 New York Times 'full scale ad' entitled "What is Really Happening in Cuba" contained the following names.....note; The spellings are as they appeared on the advertisement......for Example Robert F. Williams full name was Robert Franklin Williams...........but is reproduced as is, or as was, as the case may be.....

In Order of Appearance

James Baldwin

Simone de Beauvoir

Frank London Brown

Truman Capote

John Henrik Clarke

Pro. Robert G. Colodny

Richard Gibson

Dr. Maurice Green

Edmonde Haddad

Rev. Donald Harrington

John Killens

Sidney Lens

Norman Mailer

Julian Mayfield

Elva dePue Matthews

Prof. Eugene Noble

Rev. John Papandrew

James Purdy

Joseph Quintana

Alan Sagner

Jean Paul Sartre

John Singleton

Robert Taber

G. A. Thurston

Kenneth Tynan

Dan Wakefield

Sidney Weinstein

Robert F. Williams

So, at this juncture, I would direct your attention to the following.....

WCD 85 - FBI Clements Report of 11 Dec 1963 re: Ruby...is in my estimation an extremely important document in this regards, if, for no other reason for the last section beginning on page 368, which is entitled

Interviews with Press, Radio and TV Representatives. In that section is an FBI interview with Edmonde Haddad, a news broadcaster with KPOL on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles. Whether he just happens to be someone with the same name as a name appearing in the original FPCC article, is anyones guess, but it certainly is intriguing.....

Heck, maybe this is old news.....

Robert F. Williams full name was Robert Franklin Williams (Robert Howard)

Williams is a most interesting character. He was an ex Marine and one very angry man.

From the documentary Let it Burn:

Robert Franklin Williams, advocate of armed self-defense in the Civil Rights Movement, hunted by the FBI since fleeing Monroe, North Carolina in 1961, after years in exile in Cuba and China, is interviewed by Robert Carl Cohen in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania in 1968.

Interesting interview. Williams seemed to have a lot of reasons to be angry. He claimed that Fidel Castro personally gave him political asylum. While in Cuba he published a newsletter and operated a radio station that broadcast back to the U.S. called Radio Dixie.

Williams maintains that he eventually was forced to leave Cuba, because Castro's closest intelligence advisors had been compromised by the Central Intelligence Agency.

Edited by Michael Hogan

Robert F. Williams full name was Robert Franklin Williams (Robert Howard)

Williams is a most interesting character. He was an ex Marine and one very angry man.

From the documentary Let it Burn:

Robert Franklin Williams, advocate of armed self-defense in the Civil Rights Movement, hunted by the FBI since fleeing Monroe, North Carolina in 1961, after years in exile in Cuba and China, is interviewed by Robert Carl Cohen in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania in 1968.

Interesting interview. Williams seemed to have a lot of reasons to be angry. He claimed that Fidel Castro personally gave him political asylum. While in Cuba he published a newsletter and operated a radio station that broadcast back to the U.S. called Radio Dixie.

Williams maintains that he eventually was forced to leave Cuba, because Castro's closest intelligence advisors had been compromised by the Central Intelligence Agency.

Thank you James and Michael for your contributions to the post. I watched a great deal of the Robert Williams youtube interview, and thought it was fascinating. While I am a newcomer to any in-depth knowledge of the F.P.C.C. as a whole, I certainly think it is somewhat obvious, that to say the backgrounds and political ideologies of each individual member were identical, would be a generality that would obscure the reality of what the Fair Play for Cuba Committee was, say in the purposes for which, it was created, and the legacy it inherited by its de facto association with the man held responsible for the death of John F. Kennedy ......There is, in my opinion [based largely on the fact that by December of 1963 the FPCC was, in effect, dead in the water as a political body] a valid reason to think that it is possible there is much about the inner machinations of this organization, that, to a degree, are, still shrouded in mystery. We have some individuals, like Eleanor Roosevelt, Truman Capote and the existentialist philosopher Jean Paul Sartre, whose interaction with the FPCC appears to be pretty straightforward, then there are individuals such as Robert Taber, Stephen Landesberg and Edmonde Haddad, whose involvement is a tad more complicated. I cannot believe that this organization was basically eviscerated, without any help from within......

The even remote possibility that the Edmonde Haddad who was listed as a signatory to the April 6, 1960 New York Times ad, was the same person who was in the basement of the Dallas Police Department when Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald on national television, and the fact that the name linkage is not addressed [to my knowledge] by any official investigatory body, [WC, Rockefeller Comm., Church Comm., HSCA or AARB] leads me to, at his point, conclude that Oswald's association with the FPCC, was by no means a coincidence.

With regards to Robert Franklin Williams, prior to his association with the FPCC, it is my understanding, he had been involved with the Monroe Committee, a topic of which, I am not qualified to speculate about, for the simple reason that I know little, if anything, about it.

Again, thanks to those who contributed.

Robert

I have been intending to update this thread for quite some time, and became bogged down regarding some name checks of individuals on the Silviera List; suffice to say that some of that is going to take some time.

In the meantime, I wanted to post material that gets back to Madrid and the DRE.

First I ran across this today on maryferrell.org

BELT, GUILLERMO (DR.)

Mary's

Comments: Former Cuban Ambassador to the United States - 1945-1947. Head of Cuba's delegation to the Inter-American Conference in Bogota, Colombia, in 1948. He provided haven for Fidel Castro and Rafael del Pino when Colombian authorities were trying to arrest them in the Claridge Hotel in Bogota. Guillermo had them flown back to Cuba. Provided information to FBI on 11/26/63 that, according to Jose Antonio Lanuza, Oswald had been in Miami "one or two months ago" attempting to infiltrate the anti-Castro organization DRE.

This may be an instance of an unreliable source on the other hand, given the fact that there is a story out there that Oswald called in on a radio show in Florida, [pre-assassination - Hemming] I thought it was worth posting.

More importantly, I wanted to post an excerpt from "The Strength of the Wolf- The Secret History of America's War on Drugs." by Douglas Valentine.

page 314.....

"In tracing the money used to finance the [July 1961] de Gaulle assassination plots, French Intelligence discovered that about $200,000 in secret funds had been sent to Permindex accounts in the Banque de la Credit Internationale. In 1962, Bannister had dispatched to Paris a lawyer friend.....with a suitcase full of money for the OAS, reportedly around $200,000."

footnote reference James DiEugenio Destiny Betrayed page 211

".......Bannister's money allegedly went to Jean Rene Marie Souetre-- or someone impersonating him. A French Army deserter and the OAS representative in southern Algeria, Souetre reportedly met in the spring of 1963 with E. Howard Hunt in Madrid, ultra General Walker in Dallas and Guy Bannister at 544 Camp Street. In June he offered the CIA a list of KGB penetrations in the French government. Souetre was also reportedly "on the Paris end of drug traffic," and had been followed for years by an undercover narcotics agent in Marseilles."

footnote reference Dick Russell - The Man Who Knew Too Much 1992 page 563

As far as I am aware, E Howard Hunt had always maintained that he had never been to Madrid "until 1965." While a book is not a official document, I feel very comfortable in stating that Valentine has done the research community a real service and if I were to describe the book it is a complete history of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, with substantial segments on MK-ULTRA, the switchover from the FBN to the Bureau of Narcotics & Dangerous Drugs and the DEA.

Personally, I would not trust any source that can't spell Guy W. Banister's name right.......!

We have some individuals, like Eleanor Roosevelt, Truman Capote and the existentialist philosopher Jean Paul Sartre, whose interaction with the FPCC appears to be pretty straightforward, then there are individuals such as Robert Taber, Stephen Landesberg and Edmonde Haddad, whose involvement is a tad more complicated.....

Another name on that list is Professor Robert G. Colodny. Colodny was a history professor at the University of Pittsburgh from 1959 to 1985. According to his obituary:

In 1961, Colodny became the center of a national controversy when then-state Rep. John T. Walsh of McKeesport accused him of being a Communist sympathizer. The accusation followed publication of a Pittsburgh Press story that quoted Colodny as saying the Cuban revolution represented "agrarian reform." The story also noted Colodny's Spanish Civil War service with the Abraham Lincoln Brigade, one of the forces of volunteers from 53 countries that fought on the Loyalist side. The American-based Abraham Lincoln Brigade became a leftist political action group after 1939, when Francisco Franco's fascists overthrew the Spanish republican government.

In the wake of the Press article and Walsh's attacks, Colodny was called before the U.S. House Committee on Un-American Activities. Colodny testified that he had been misquoted and was not a Communist. The committee took no action against him.

.....Colodny joined the U.S. Army in 1941. He served for four years, becoming a staff sergeant with U.S. Army Intelligence in Alaska's Aleutian Islands and earning an Army commendation medal. Among his fellow intelligence staffers in Alaska was novelist Dashiell Hammett.

http://mac10.umc.pitt.edu/u/FMPro?-db=usto...=6973&-Find

Here is a little more about Colodny:

Before he could gain the necessary credentials to commence his academic career, the world conflict began that, had the outcome of the Spanish War been different, might have been averted. Before enlisting again in the continued anti-fascist struggle, Colodny assisted in the preparation of the memorial volume for deceased Lincoln Battalion veteran James Phillips Lardner (Hemingway, et al., 1939), and then spent almost two years in Mexico working on an inter-American project to monitor Nazi political and commercial activity in Latin America (Colodny, 1990, 83; cf. Friedman, 2003). Joining the U. S. Army, where, after initial assignment to a radar unit protecting the west coast, Colodny found himself transferred to a military detention camp under a War Department policy of discrimination against American volunteers who had served with the Republican forces in Spain (see Carroll, 1994, ch. 19). Eventually, Colodny won release and spent the rest of the war in the Aleutian Islands, where he developed what one fellow soldier called "a one-man university of the air" on Armed Forces Radio. He also cooperated with another left-wing corporal stationed at the same base in remote Adak. He and the writer Dashiell Hammett edited a post newspaper, The Adakian, and prepared a pamphlet dealing with the early World War II years in the Aleutians (Colodny and Hammett, 1943). At war's end he had attained the rank of Staff Sergeant.

Returning to civilian life, Colodny enrolled at the University of California, received his B.A. in mathematics and chemistry, then went on to earn graduate degrees in history and philosophy. He was completing his doctoral thesis in 1949 when the Regents enacted the initial notorious California Loyalty Oath (on this oath, see Schrecker, 1986, 117-30), which illustrated the fragility of academic freedom in the United States. Colodny chose as a subject for his Ph.D. thesis the very Spanish conflict in which he had participated over a decade earlier. After graduation he spent several years filling temporary teaching and research jobs. Quite probably his initial lack of success in winning the secure professorial position he sought in the 1950s had much to do with the derogatory FBI material surreptitiously placed in his Berkeley placement file. Once he learned about this he demanded that his file be purged of the offending material. Then he found the job at the University of Pittsburgh which he held until his retirement in 1986.

http://www.scienceandsociety.com/editorial_fall04.html

Robert,

A French Army deserter and the OAS representative in southern Algeria, Souetre reportedly met in the spring of 1963 with E. Howard Hunt in Madrid, ultra General Walker in Dallas and Guy Bannister at 544 Camp Street.

The OAS had two main wings; one was based in Algeria, the other was based in Madrid.

According to a FOIA request filed by Gary Shaw, Souetre met with CIA agents in Madrid in the Spring of 1963 and tried to enlist their help in their ongoing struggles with DeGaulle. Shaw says that their are CIA documents that back this up.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...mp;relPageId=15

In his book, Bloody Treason, Noel Twyman lays out the case that Souetre met with William Harvey in Florida in April of 1963 - at the same time that Souetre was meeting with Cuban exiles and touring the training camps in Louisiana.

Steve Thomas

Robert,

A French Army deserter and the OAS representative in southern Algeria, Souetre reportedly met in the spring of 1963 with E. Howard Hunt in Madrid, ultra General Walker in Dallas and Guy Bannister at 544 Camp Street.

The OAS had two main wings; one was based in Algeria, the other was based in Madrid.

According to a FOIA request filed by Gary Shaw, Souetre met with CIA agents in Madrid in the Spring of 1963 and tried to enlist their help in their ongoing struggles with DeGaulle. Shaw says that their are CIA documents that back this up.

In his book, Bloody Treason, Noel Twyman lays out the case that Souetre met with William Harvey in Florida in April of 1963 - at the same time that Souetre was meeting with Cuban exiles and touring the training camps in Louisiana.

Steve Thomas

• 4 months later...
Robert,

Steve Thomas

The December 1963 issue of The Councilor, despite being an extremist right-wing publication may have had one thing in common with the rest of America that December winter, in that they were also analyzing the post-Kennedy fallout and trying to get a handle on just what really was going on.

A particulary interesting couple of articles had to do with the Fair Play for Cuba Committee and a story entitled

"Walker Evidence May Wreck Whole Red-Plot"

The December 1963 issue of The Councilor, despite being an extremist right-wing publication may have had one thing in common with the rest of America that December winter, in that they were also analyzing the post-Kennedy fallout and trying to get a handle on just what really was going on.

A particulary interesting couple of articles had to do with the Fair Play for Cuba Committee and a story entitled

"Walker Evidence May Wreck Whole Red-Plot"

The source for this article is actually in the Warren Commission Documents

Warren Commission Hearings, Volume XX

Oliver Ex 4 - December 20, 1963, issue of "The Councilor."

Normally, I post the MFF links to the document so the page can be viewed, but after I did this and double-checked to make sure the link reproduced properly, it redirected to another thread, [bTW That is the first time in over a 1,000 posts I have made, in which that has happened.....

Robert

Edited by Robert Howard