The Education Forum

Reading list for US intelligence Agent Lee Harvey Oswald, summer 1963 in New Orleans

Guest Robert Morrow

You have brought up an interesting point.

What documentation do you have regarding Ferrie's car being reposessed?

Did Ferrie have a driver's license during that time? If so, how can you dismiss the possibility that he was, for example, borrowing a car? Who was it who said Ferrie did not use a car that summer? More than one person? How did he get from place to place? Do you feel you have supported your assertion that Ferrie *could not* have had access to a car at that time?

I don't know how to quote specific passages in this Forum. (Can somebody tell me how?)

Reposession: Southern Research Report March 1963 - investigators learned this from the finance company. Car described in deplorable condition.

License: Yes, valid Louisiana license.

Borrowing? Baker described it as Ferrie's car, in deplorable condition.

Who said...? Morris Brownlee, Layton Martens, but see also newsman Alec Gifford in CD75, based on neighbors' statements.

How did he...? Motorcycle. See Gifford, for example.

Supported? I didn't say he "could not have had access to a car." I said he didn't have his own car at the time, as Baker indicated

The detailed information makes your argument more persuasive. You are developing a parallel timeline of Ferrie on motorcycle only. Whose motorcycle, though? What make and model?

This path does open another door or two, though.

First, what was the make and model of the car that was repossessed? How much was the loan? How many payments did he miss? What were the payments? What kind of *deplorable condition* was it in when it was repossessed? Did they really even have car loans back then? Didn't everyone just pay cash? And let's not beg the question of why anybody would bother to repossess a car in 'deplorable condition'?

How do we know the car Judyth says she rode in was the one repossessed? How do we know she was not *mistaken* to think Ferrie owned it as opposed to making something up? How do we know someone else didn't *give* or *lend* Ferrie a car other than the one repossessed?

Edited by Pamela Brown

Maybe Ferrie "gave the car back" in March, (to muddy the waters: tradecraft)and still drove it? If Ferrie wasn't driving this old car in that summer, why JVB is accurate in the description of that car? How she found out the condition of a car Ferrie never drove that summer as you claim?

Your blind faith in your sources is a bit naive.

KK

1) The car was in the possession of General Finance Corp. when the March 1963 report was written.

2) Back in the early 2000s, I had an exchange with Baker about the car, and I described it as written in the report, deplorable, etc. It was long after that, when her first book was published, that she described it in similar terms.

3) As for sources, there is a false equivalency here: One one side: the March 1963 report, a 1963 FBI interview with a reporter who heard this from Ferrie's neighbors, my interviews with his known acquaintances and the Louisiana DMV records. On the other hand: A late-arriving unproven claim from a person who has never offered evidence to prove an acquaintance with Ferrie. Is it naive blind faith to apply more weight to one than the other?

Steven, one question: do you really believe Ferrie was discovering the joy of walking in the summer of 1963? He, a busy CIA guy? A Johnny-on-the-spot? Without a car? (Maybe he was using a litter...together with Ossi and JVB;-) )

KK

The detailed information makes your argument more persuasive. You are developing a parallel timeline of Ferrie on motorcycle only. Whose motorcycle, though? What make and model?

This path does open another door or two, though.

First, what was the make and model of the car that was repossessed? How much was the loan? How many payments did he miss? What were the payments? What kind of *deplorable condition* was it in when it was repossessed? Did they really even have car loans back then? Didn't everyone just pay cash? And let's not beg the question of why anybody would bother to repossess a car in 'deplorable condition'?

How do we know the car Judyth says she rode in was the one repossessed? How do we know she was not *mistaken* to think Ferrie owned it as opposed to making something up? How do we know someone else didn't *give* or *lend* Ferrie a car other than the one repossessed?

We should probably let this thread go back to its original topic.

Motorcycle: 1948 Harley, owned by Ferrie.

Car: 1960 Ford, amount of loan not given, but GFC "lost about $600. on the transaction." The report does not do into detail on the condition. They must have given loans, as this is from a contemporaneous 1963 report. They repossessed it because they owned the loan.

Baker: I don't know of any evidence that Baker ever rode in this car. The supposition that Ferrie owned the car she describes is hers, not mine.

Steven, one question: do you really believe Ferrie was discovering the joy of walking in the summer of 1963? He, a busy CIA guy? A Johnny-on-the-spot? Without a car? (Maybe he was using a litter...together with Ossi and JVB;-) )

KK

I believe Ferrie had the Ford repossessed in March 1963 because he couldn't make the payments; that he rode a motorcycle (or bummed rides from friends like Mo Brownlee); and that he bought a Mercury Comet in November 1963.

KK

I believe Ferrie had the Ford repossessed in March 1963 because he couldn't make the payments; that he rode a motorcycle (or bummed rides from friends like Mo Brownlee); and that he bought a Mercury Comet in November 1963.

The fact that Ferrie lost a Ford in March and bought a Comet in November doesn't mean that he rode no cars in the summertime. That would be a childish conclusion. Believe it or not: there are human beings out there who ride cars AND motorcycles in summertime. Your reasoning is poor, and, I fear, not dedicated to the truth, but to discredit JVB.

(Her story remains waterproved, except minor errors: errare human est...)

BTW What about your long awaited FERRIE book? I would be one of the first readers...or is there no such project any more? There never was one, eh?

KK

KK

The fact that Ferrie lost a Ford in March and bought a Comet in November doesn't mean that he rode no cars in the summertime. That would be a childish conclusion. Believe it or not: there are human beings out there who ride cars AND motorcycles in summertime. Your reasoning is poor, and, I fear, not dedicated to the truth, but to discredit JVB.

(Her story remains waterproved, except minor errors: errare human est...)

BTW What about your long awaited FERRIE book? I would be one of the first readers...or is there no such project any more? There never was one, eh?

KK

We really need to move this thread. Sorry I inadvertently hijacked it! Since I don't know how to do "official" quotes, I'll just copy and paste:

"The fact that Ferrie lost a Ford in March and bought a Comet in November doesn't mean that he rode no cars in the summertime...Believe it or not: there are human beings out there who ride cars AND motorcycles in summertime."

How did this change from Baker wrongly claiming Ferrie OWNED a car to Ferrie RIDING in a car? And there is more than the "fact" of losing the Ford/buying the Comet: His neighbors and friends SAID he didn't have a car that summer. And none was registered in his name.

"That would be a childish conclusion...Your reasoning is poor."

Why the put-downs? All the available evidence suggests that Ferrie had no car that summer, and he rode a motorcycle.

"Your reasoning is..., I fear, not dedicated to the truth, but to discredit JVB."

Another put down. Why would I want to offend truth to discredit Baker? Is it untrue that Ferrie had no car that summer? Is there any evidence that Baker was right?

"Her story remains waterproved, except minor errors."

Her story is far from watertight; it is porous, and the errors are not minor. Why do nearly all JFK assassination researchers mistrust her story? Why do those with knowledge of the New Orleans case mistust her story?

"What about your long awaited FERRIE book? I would be one of the first readers."

The one that I'm still writing? Glad you're looking forward to it. Maybe a year or two.

"...or is there no such project any more? There never was one, eh?"

Perilously close to calling me a xxxx. Ask some of my research associates about the book, they've read a lot of it. Or come over to my house. We'll have a few Coronas and you can see it.

Since I don't know how to do "official" quotes, I'll just copy and paste:

Hi Stephen:

I hope you find this thread helpful re quoting with the forum software.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=15256&st=0

Thanks. That WAS helpful. I see others picking multiple short quotes, and they appear in boxes on the final version. I wish I could do that. Maybe when I master "wrap in quotes."

I have mastered deleting repeat text (as you note, as long as I keep the top and bottom "quote".)

What does MultiQuote do?

Edited by Stephen Roy

What does MultiQuote do?

I just used the MultiQuote above, deleting everything except your question. Simply highlight the piece of text in question, then hit the Quote symbol (bubble) and it wraps the text in quotes.

Come over to my house for a Corona (with lemon) and I will 'splain it all.