The Education Forum

Zapruder Film Exposed

http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/6314076/file.html

http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/87499451/file.html

Just click on the "download" button.

I want to personally thank Antony Davison for his approval, allowing for the use of his fantastic HD panorama version of the Z film. Easier on the eyes and very revealing.

The Secret Service filmed a recreation video. This video is one you might not pay close attention to.

I have removed all "interlace" frames from the supplied comparison gif which means every frame in the recreation video has the car moving forward. The video is comprised of "progressive" frames only.

There is a 1second delay at the beginning and end of the gif.

It is playing at 25fps, the closest I can create in gif format. I will create a movie version if necessary.

The first file is a "real time" stamp from the original film, which runs from Z133-Z351.

It takes the recreation car 9.1 seconds according to the timer to complete the 133-351span.

The 9.08 second designation I will explain later.

218 frames@196.5ft traveled.

9.1sec x 24fps = 218.4frames

The distance traveled and total frames = the extant Z film.

Do you now understand the mind game that's been imprinted upon you?

More to come, once you've digested this.

chris

Edited by Chris Davidson

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to muddy the waters or cite history in error, but wasn't there a contretemps between the WC and Zapruder, in which Zapruder claimed that he was filming at the slow motion camera setting (i.e., shooting more frames), while the WC told him that he was not?

No reflection on your film research intended.

Edited by David Andrews

btw,

Here is a little snippet from the original.

It will give you an idea where they cut/stopped the film, then started tracking the recreation car.

It also shows the 3:2 pulldown speed (29.97fps) if your movie player lists this information after the conversion from film (24fps) to video format.

If not, here is a picture of it from mine.

chris

This collage pertains to Jim Underwood.

The bottom 2 film frames are from the SS recreation video . Jim Underwood (who worked for KRLD news) narrated and helped with the filming.

The FBI file on the right side shows he usually shot 16mm films.

Most likely used a Bell/Howell Filmo 16mm camera.

chris

Brad,

The recreation film was shot at 24 frames per second.

The extant Zapruder film was supposedly shot at 18.3 frames per sec

You can't have a car in 2 films travel the same distance, in the same amount of frames, unless the camera frame rate is the same in both.

This is what i am showing. If you understand this concept, then you might understand the ratio 18.3frames per sec/24frames per second =.7625

To incorporate that ratio in this scenario would look like this:

(Z133-Z351) 218 total frames/24frames per sec= 9.08 sec

196.5ft traveled/9.08 seconds = 21.64ft per sec = 14.72 mph

Now, take the 18.3/24 ratio= .7625 and incorporate it into the 24 frames per second comparison SS video.

Or, 14.72mph x .7625 = 11.22mph

The WC average mph from Shaneyfelt's testimony for frames 168-313= 11.2mph

chris

Brad,

The Impala is traveling at an average speed of 14.92 14.72 mph throughout the entire video. Not much variance, faster or slower (less than 3mph from the average) during the 133-351 frame span. I can list some time splits for you, but I don't think its really necessary.

The film projector will play the frames at whatever the projector frame rate is set to.

So if a projector is set to playback a film at 24frames per sec, then it would take a shorter amount of time to run it through, as opposed to playing the projector at 18frames per sec.

Brad's question: To make the limo go faster to keep up with the '59 Impala means frames were removed from the Z-film to increase the limo's speed. Is this what you are demonstrating?

Yes, if a car slows down while being filmed, there are more frames created that have to be dealt with. Knowing the formula used to determine the slowed down speed of the car is important and at what point they started pulling frames.

Shaneyfelt never said anything about this reconstruction video. In fact, this 59 Impala part of the SS reconstruction is not on the SS version which includes movie credits.

It is on a version which contains the same content without the credits, but with the Impala part added at the very end.

It's as if this was not supposed to be released to the general public, and was created specifically for timing purposes.

The snippet of the May 64 WC recreation is useless as a measuring tool.

chris

Edited by Chris Davidson

I know people are not too fond of Dan Rather, but if you can focus on what he says in terms of the film duration itself, you'll understand he described a version in transition most likely.

The first part is an excerpt from Josiah Thompson:

Meanwhile, back in New York, Life’s publisher viewed the copy obtained by Stolley and instructed Stolley to buy worldwide exclusive rights from Zapruder. On Monday morning, Stolley met with Zapruder and his lawyer and negotiated the sale to Life of worldwide rights for $150,000. As early as Tuesday or Wednesday, copies were ordered from the Life photolab by editors and began to circulate. In Chicago, a private lab made a 16 mm black and white copy for Life. In Washington, D.C., another private lab made a 16 mm black and white copy for the Secret Service. The Secret Service made additional copies of their copies and these were circulated to other law enforcement agencies. That Monday, Dallas secret service agents asked if they could use the 16 mm projector owned by the local CBS affiliate (KRLD) to view the film. They brought over the film in 16 mm format and Bob Huffaker projected it for them. Huffaker remembered that Dan Rather of CBS News was there to watch it with the agents.

The second part is an excerpt from Dan Rather's first TV interview:

That is the scene shown in about twenty seconds of film that the FBI has in its possession. The film was taken by an amateur photographer who was in a very advantageous position, and who had his camera trained on the President’s car from the time it made the turn in front of the assassin until it disappeared on its way to the hospital.

This is Dan Rather in Dallas.

Rather viewed a 16mm film approx 20seconds long.

24 frames per sec x 20.25seconds = 486 frames=total extant Z frames.

chris

Edited by Chris Davidson

Once again, dealing with time references.

I know many are not fond of Paul Mandel either, but!!!

Another excerpt from Rathers first TV interview:

The car never stopped. The secret service man in the front seat had a telephone in his hand. The car...its acceleration increased rapidly and it disappeared under an underpass. Three shots - the first one hitting President Kennedy, the second one hitting Governor Connally, the third one hitting the President – consume, possibly, five seconds. Not much more than that, if any.

Attached is the article from Mandel published in the Dec 6th 1963 edition of Life Magazine

Mandel is under the impression he is counting frames from an 18.3 fps version.

Just convert his total frames between 3 shots based on 24 frames per sec.

122frames/24frames per sec = 5.08 seconds

Compared to Dan Rather's description of timing between shots, I 'd say they probably saw the same version.

I think that Tom Purvis was steering us in this direction in years past, and most of us didn't know how to prove anything with the data he gave us. Chris, you've taken us "over the hump" on that part, and I find this information QUITE exciting. Apparently Shaneyfelt was giving us the limo speed BEFORE the frames were excised, but the edited film--which the American public wasn't supposed to have access to for years to come--allows us to excuse the SS for not moving fast enough to save anyone's life.